hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 13:47
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Re: Re: Re: Firaxis' Apathy
Quote:
Originally posted by John-SJ
Yes, it is best that they support this one. I speak only for myself here, but up until now when Firaxis released a game I bought it the first day it was available, no questions asked. That's clearly what Firaxis was counting on for a lot of sales with Civ3, but I think Civ3 will be the LAST game where people will automatically assume (as I did) that the Sid Meier name means anything. From now on I will wait, and not just for the online reviews, obviously those can't be relied on any more either, I'll wait for the opinions of the suck... I mean players who buy the game first before making my decision.
John-SJ
Hear, hear, and I am so glad for the so-called 'whiners' and their view on this game, because they offer a perspective that will never come from the developers.

Does anyone really think that Firaxis would say anything to drive sales down...would they say anything about the late-game tedium or the lack of a grouping command as a positive feature?

If all we heard were the positives, then the pictuce is not a true one. There are features in civ3 which are positive, but...

...most of the issues do boil down to preferences.

This is not to criticize anyone who may enjoy the game - if you like managing 200 workers...great! if you like to move each unit one unit at a time...so be it! If you like revolts that occur without warning...more power to you! Lack of ease to get in-game info...wonderful!!!

Thanks to the 'whiners' for bringing those features out in the open for all us fence-sitters. Keep up the good work, and let's hope there is a miracle patch in the future!!!

Maybe it will happen. I'll wait.

Back to lurking...
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old December 22, 2001, 12:53   #32
Kolyana
Warlord

Local Time: 12:47
What confuses me are the reviews circulating out there - online and in magazines. It's almost as if *everyone* played the game for a couple of hours, never got into the middle to late ages, and whipped out a review just before they made a mad dash to the coffee shop.

Based on reviews, I would have bought the game. Based on theis forum, I would've given it a wide berth. How can the gaming community and the reviewers be so diametrically opposed?

~~ Shamelessly stolen from someone with talent.
Old December 22, 2001, 13:05   #33
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Kolyana
What confuses me are the reviews circulating out there - online and in magazines. It's almost as if *everyone* played the game for a couple of hours, never got into the middle to late ages, and whipped out a review just before they made a mad dash to the coffee shop.
You don't seem confused to me... That's exactly what happened.
Publishers needed quick reviews so that they could be first, and that's just what they all are... quick reviews. You really need to play the game for a long time to write a good review. I would have loved to have a read a review by Libertarian after he had played the game...

Plus, the online and magazines concerns are in bed with the publishers of games. That is where the bulk of their advertising revenues come from a bad system to say the least, but that's reality. Even when they are critical, they never go far enough. Add that to the poor quality of game testing, and it's no surprise why anybody with a half a brain won't buy a game based on those types of reviews
Old December 22, 2001, 13:40   #34
Kolyana
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Ming

You don't seem confused to me... That's exactly what happened.
Publishers needed quick reviews so that they could be first, and that's just what they all are... quick reviews. You really need to play the game for a long time to write a good review. I would have loved to have a read a review by Libertarian after he had played the game...

Plus, the online and magazines concerns are in bed with the publishers of games. That is where the bulk of their advertising revenues come from a bad system to say the least, but that's reality. Even when they are critical, they never go far enough. Add that to the poor quality of game testing, and it's no surprise why anybody with a half a brain won't buy a game based on those types of reviews
I surprise myself by agreeing with everything you just said. It's a sad state indeed. Perhaps I seem to remember a few years ago when magazines were more critical and honest, perhaps there were just one or two in my native country of England, but I used to read reviews to give me a general sense of the game.

Regarding Civ3, they ave just been so far off the mark, it has left me with the feeling that I should never bother applyign any weight to them ever again. And that's a real shame.

Do you are Mark ever review games? I mean Apolyton gets a lot of hits from a lot of individuals, so it certainly has the platform for having meaningful reviews posted.

Are there any independant reviewers with weight?

~~ Shamelessly stolen from someone with talent.
Old December 22, 2001, 13:50   #35
nato
Prince

I also find the universal high praise reviews ridiculous. Even if you like the game, I don't think anyone can argue it is near as perfect as all the reviews say.

At this point I am thinking reviews are simply paid advertisements and nothing more. The paid part might not be explicit, but now I think reviews are just part of the hype machine.
Old December 22, 2001, 13:56   #36
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Do you are Mark ever review games? I mean Apolyton gets a lot of hits from a lot of individuals, so it certainly has the platform for having meaningful reviews posted.

I have reviewed games in the past... but only after a MINIMUM of a FULL week of play, or to a point where I feel that I truely understand a game. I had planned to do this for Civ III, but I never got the chance to play enough fast enough due to health and time constraints... But it wasn't needed...

If you want to get a truer feel for a game, just go to the fan sites.
Anybody that read what was posted here woiuld have had a pretty clear picture of the game... who needs paid hack reviews

And as far as '"independent reviews" go... again, you can only find that type of information in forums where nobody has ANYTHING to gain by what they say. I usually only trust friends I know...
Old December 22, 2001, 15:06   #37
Libertarian
King

Well, Ming.

I'm not sure what to make of your perfunctory interpretation of what I said. Somehow, you take a keen and effortless inference from the muddiest of statements made by Firaxis, and are able to translate them into a meaningful syntax for the rest of us. But you have twisted my statement into something fubar.

I don't think that Firaxis intended to design a boring game. That is, I don't believe that they gathered together and specified boredom as a preferred attribute and then designed accordingly. But design a boring game they did.

BUT...

It is beyond credulity that anyone could have interpreted their initial deaf ear (when I was their champion defender) and eventual surgically tempered nonstatement (when I spoke as an abandoned fan) as any sort of admission that anything at all was wrong. They said they were aware of the ISSUE. Not the problem. The ISSUE. The issue? And that they would make a statement on it when they had something concrete to say.

Now, that's BS. And a ton of it. There was something quite concrete to be said, in fact a couple of things: (1) unit movement and activation are serious problems; (2) moving units is boring and trying to maintain a continuity in unit activation is hopeless; (3) we who raise this "issue" have identified a valid obstacle to game fun; (4) whether they are at least examining the problem and trying to determine whether they can correct it; and (5) a genuine and sincere thanks for doing their play testing.

It wasn't until the chat that a clear and unequivocal admission was offered that a problem (not an issue) exists. It wasn't until then that they said they don't know whether they can fix it.

And they still haven't said "thank you".

And there is no information, lest we gleen a translation of what they have said from you, that indicates at all whether they intend to do anything about it. Nothing at all is known of their intentions unless you have inside information. All that is known is that they know it's a problem and that they don't know whether it can be fixed.
Old December 22, 2001, 15:12   #38
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Quote:

What BS... ... more BS.

I'm the first to admit there are serious problems with the game.
And I really hope that many of them can be fixed.
But so many of your posts make claims like they don't give a crap, or intented to make the game boring, or don't give a hoot about their customers is crap and just ignorant on your part.

If they really didn't give a damn... it would have gone the route of CTP II, where a company just turned their back on the game really quickly. That is not the case here. Yeah, they should have play tested the game more... yeah... the game was released too early... That is the nature of the software business. I don't like it, and I think it's a crappy way to do business, but it seems like most software companies do the same thing.

So I have no problem with your posts that point out the many errors of the game... keep up the good work. I will also do the same... I"m just not going to make bad assumptions that they don't give a damn, and that they are insulting to the community.
A few points, Ming. First, while Libertarian is a bit over the top in his rhetoric suggesting that Firaxis intended to make a boring game, he's basically correct on the other points. Obviously Firaxis got caught between its' publisher and its' customers and was forced to release Civ3 prematurely and without even finishing the playtesting. Were they up front about it? Of course not. This admission, like a number of others, had to be dragged out of them by well informed, articulate fans who were prepared to confront staff members on these forums.

Second, as far as I'm concerned, Firaxis HAS insulted the community. I prepared an open letter on behalf of the scenario community which was signed by over 40 people, expressing concern about the total lack of scenario capability of Civ3. Even though it was topped for a couple of weeks and got over 8000 views, Firaxis REFUSED to respond to it. I consider that very insulting. And that attitude has been reflected in many other responses and non-responses. The "When we have decided something we'll tell you." line fails to instill confidence that fan questions and comments are being listened to.

Finally, the idea that we must put up with half baked games because "that is the nature of the software business" causes me some real problems. What we're seeing here is game consumers pushing back against that idea. Forums like these give us, for the first time, a chance for a (semi) organized reponse by consumers to corporate market power. So I say carry on, Libertarian! Ignore the fools who say Firaxis doesn't owe us anything. Perhaps the next game will be a finished product.
Old December 22, 2001, 15:19   #39
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Libertarian
Well, Ming.

I'm not sure what to make of your perfunctory interpretation of what I said. Somehow, you take a keen and effortless inference from the muddiest of statements made by Firaxis, and are able to translate them into a meaningful syntax for the rest of us. But you have twisted my statement into something fubar.
HA HA HA HA HA... maybe now you understand the point I'm trying to make. YOU WERE DOING THE SAME DAMN THING WITH WHAT FIRAXIS was saying.

Almost everybody agrees the game needs work... I will continue to do what is needed to get those fixes made. However, I will not personally attack the people or make assumptions what they were thinking... Heck, If I could do that, I would start up a pay for call Mind Readers 800 number... credit cards excepted
Old December 22, 2001, 15:25   #40
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by techumseh

A few points, Ming. First, while Libertarian is a bit over the top in his rhetoric suggesting that Firaxis intended to make a boring game, he's basically correct on the other points.

Second, as far as I'm concerned, Firaxis HAS insulted the community. I prepared an open letter on behalf of the scenario community which was signed by over 40 people, expressing concern about the total lack of scenario capability of Civ3. Even though it was topped for a couple of weeks and got over 8000 views, Firaxis REFUSED to respond to it. I consider that very insulting. And that attitude has been reflected in many other responses and non-responses. The "When we have decided something we'll tell you." line fails to instill confidence that fan questions and comments are being listened to.
First... I have never disagreed with the points Libertarian has been maken... IF ANYTHING, I have agreed with almost every one of them. I just had a problem with "interpretations, and assumptions... I would rather deal with facts.

And that is my same answer to your second point. You are the one "seeing the insult"... you seem to be able to find it in many things... Granted, that maybe the way you feel, but do you KNOW AS A FACT THAT THEY ARE TRYING TO INSULT you... I don't thinks so. I truely think they are as totally lost now as when they released the game before proper testing and delivered an unfished product. They really don't know what they can or can not fix. I have read the same responses you have, and that's how I interpret them. But again... only my opinion.
Old December 22, 2001, 15:39   #41
Desert Dog
Warlord

Local Time: 10:47
Late Tedium? huh?
I have no clue what late game-Tedium is but it is clear Firaxis is trying to wiggle out of fixing this game. Yet it is getting rave reviews yadda yadda. I have not been able to finish one game on hugh map with 8 civs. Crashes at industrial or modern age right after picking tech. Fatal error I might add requiring a reboot. I paid $70.00 for the LE edition. I am in ill health playing games is how I relax. Turn based are the easiest for me to play, and civ 2, SMAC were my favorites. I am mentioning all of that to express how much it means to mean to have a game that plays without locking up or crashing. SMAC still has some serious bugs that pop up that will never be fixed, I sure hope this is not the case with civ 3. Sorry for my own constant *****ing but I am really pissed! It is the program too not my system or anything else as others have tried to imply. Firaxis knows they messed up but the GREAT reviews are carrying them by making them not pay much attention to the peanut gallery here, VERY FEW comments are made by them. I like the one "We will not comment on customers expectations not being met!" (Something like that) huh? The game clearly needed about 2-4 months of testing yet!

Desert Dog
Old December 22, 2001, 15:47   #42
Libertarian
King

Quote:
So I say carry on, Libertarian!
Semper Fi!

Quote:
They really don't know what they can or can not fix.
I can buy that. Honestly, I can. As a libertarian, I understand the business side of things and the fact that they have some tough decisions to make.

Whether they want to fix this or that is still a mystery.

I found it a bit daunting that they gloated about the ignore setting. Head-in-the-sand is never the best way to go.
Old December 22, 2001, 17:08   #43
techumseh
Emperor

Quote:

And that is my same answer to your second point. You are the one "seeing the insult"... you seem to be able to find it in many things... Granted, that maybe the way you feel, but do you KNOW AS A FACT THAT THEY ARE TRYING TO INSULT you... I don't thinks so.
I never said they were "TRYING TO INSULT" me. I said they insulted the scenario community, including me, by pointedly ignoring our letter. Insults are not always planned out in advance and may not even be deliberate. However, they always show disrespect for the insulted party. And yes, they are subjective. But I hardly think that in this case I'm being too sensitive. Repeated requests were made for an answer, including some private diplomacy by Markos, with no result. I don't think publicly ignoring a significant section of the Civ community should be taken as a sign of respect, do you?

Anyway, this is not about Libertarians' or my (or anyones') hurt feelings. It's about a disappointing game release and HOW THE COMPANY IS DEALING WITH ITS' UNHAPPY CUSTOMERS! Any customer service consultant will tell you that how a company deals with complaints is far more decisive to customer satisfaction than the original product or service which gave rise to the complaint. In my case, I wasn't anti-Firaxis before Civ3, or even after I played it and didn't like it it. But given their reponse to legitimate concerns by many Civ fans, it will be a hot January day in Edmonton before I buy another Firaxis or Infogrames product.
Old December 22, 2001, 17:23   #44
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Re: Late Tedium? huh?
Quote:
Originally posted by Desert Dog
I have no clue what late game-Tedium is but it is clear Firaxis is trying to wiggle out of fixing this game. Yet it is getting rave reviews yadda yadda. I have not been able to finish one game on hugh map with 8 civs. Crashes at industrial or modern age right after picking tech. Fatal error I might add requiring a reboot. I paid $70.00 for the LE edition. I am in ill health playing games is how I relax. Turn based are the easiest for me to play, and civ 2, SMAC were my favorites. I am mentioning all of that to express how much it means to mean to have a game that plays without locking up or crashing. SMAC still has some serious bugs that pop up that will never be fixed, I sure hope this is not the case with civ 3. Sorry for my own constant *****ing but I am really pissed! It is the program too not my system or anything else as others have tried to imply. Firaxis knows they messed up but the GREAT reviews are carrying them by making them not pay much attention to the peanut gallery here, VERY FEW comments are made by them. I like the one "We will not comment on customers expectations not being met!" (Something like that) huh? The game clearly needed about 2-4 months of testing yet!

Desert Dog
I build computers for a living. I wish everyone blamed the software when the computer crashed.

Many times there is a problem with the specific programme that crashes (ie a bug) but not always.

Other common causes of unusual behaviour are:

The specific combination of all the programmes and drivers on your computer, right down to the specific version numbers. One driver version can make all the difference. All of the software and drivers interact with each other and with Windows. This can lead to combinations that result in programmes crashing (maybe 1 or 2 or many).

Corrupt Windows. It happens. The Windows becomes damaged due to errors when installing or deleting software, or due to flakey hardware, power interuptions, etc.

etc, etc,

Yours sounds more like a driver issue to be honest.

I can tell you this as a fact. None of the 6 or 7 computers I know of that are running Civ3 have the problem you describe. So it is unlikely to be a probelm with the game.

Good luck
Old December 22, 2001, 17:37   #45
CapTVK
Civilization II MultiplayerPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
King

Local Time: 18:47
Quote:

I surprise myself by agreeing with everything you just said. It's a sad state indeed. Perhaps I seem to remember a few years ago when magazines were more critical and honest, perhaps there were just one or two in my native country of England, but I used to read reviews to give me a general sense of the game.

In commercial magazines? Don't think so you would have to go way back into the past, the 8-bit era (C64, Spectrum, MSX) to find anything that could be called a 'fair review'. Do you remember Crash or Zzap64! by any chance Kolyana? The computer magazines of their time and fun to read too. Maybe they could be a bit more critical in the 80's because the software houses were quite small and the magazines were cheap to produce. The cool thing was major games were rated by several reviewers (sometimes even 3) who would also give their own opinion. Many games (mostly movie tie-ins, coin-op conversions, or plain junk) that didn't deliver would get slammed on a regular basis. When Zzap64! trashed the C64 version of the Indiana Jones game (arcade version) the publisher, US GOLD, pulled back their promise of supplying goodies for an indiana jones competition in the next issue. In that issue the editor and the reviewers simply stated: "This issue we WOULD have included a special competion but USGOLD didn't like our review so that got canned. Well B*****S to them!"

(- or words to that effect, it was a bit more formal- I'm typing this from memory here )

For a better description of that era here's a large quote by one of the former Zzap64! reviewers :

source: The Burrow
http://www.the-burrow.freeserve.co.u...s/towers3.html

Quote:
Mention to anyone that you worked on a computer mag and they'll likely screech, incredulous, "You got paid to play games all day?! Jammy bastard!" Well... no. If that were the case games mags would be a very swift read - just "lives", "score", "health" and other abstract stuff from screenshots and that'd be it! As me old nan never used to say, reviews don't write themselves, so at least half of each working day was spent frowning at the screen of a word processor - dodgy Amstrad things with pirated software in the early days, mini Apple Macs near the end.

Didn't even have one of those Amstrad "Joyces" (as they were nicknamed, for some unfathomable reason) on my first day at Zzap!, but luckily Paul Glancey had made me one out of a cardboard box with a felt-tip facsimile of screen and keyboard drawn on the front! So I did play games all my first day, but on the second my Joyce arrived - and so did Maff "shite" Evans! We got on well 'cos we both liked the band Clan of Xymox (nice DIY extended remix of "Back Door", Maff!), comics and stuff - and naturally, he introduced me to Front 242! With Maff, '242 music was obligatory!

Despite the streams of reviews that had to be written (games logged on a clipboard, and review and comment boxes initialled so everyone knew the state of play), we both loved it. Writing reviews for Zzap! was a dream come true and didn't seem like work at all - being paid was just a bonus - so Gordo often had to tell us to go home when we indulged in unpaid and unnecessary overtime. We even enjoyed painstakingly drawing Bionic Commando maps (the top music helped).

We weren't keen on our "digs", though: a grimly decorated B&B (circa 1950) run by an odd old landlady and her odder, older husband who would've seemed more at home under newspapers on a park bench, muttering incoherently and belching meths fumes. Sadly, the love of our jobs and dodgy B&B clashed one night. After working late, we found the landlady had locked us out - it was only around 9! So we went back to Zzap! Towers and wallowed in C64 history by nosing through the old disk boxes, eventually getting some sleep on the office floor.

You might be thinking I'm hallucinating, reminiscing over the Gordon/Paul/Maff/Kati era when I only appeared in a few issues many months on, after Paul Rand left. I was Gordo's rejected reviewer - I started with Maff but wasn't introduced to the readers. My reviews and comments were mostly attributed to Paul Sumner (PG's and Gordon's bonces were used for some) and I was listed as a contributor rather than a staff writer, which didn't seem fair.

After a couple of months I was moved onto The Games Machine magazine. Heartbreaking for a sensitive lad like me. I would've soon settled into the burgeoning wacky Zzap! style, but instead was forced to stay formal on The Games Machine till it eventually loosened up and I was allowed to use my "frivolous but informative" reviewing style.

Still, plenty of fun from those few issues of Zzap! I contributed to. Reviewer heads were never drawn from them, but the photos were taken - unique in Zzap! history because props were used. For my "great" face I held a joystick in my thumbs-up hand, and for me "bad" reviewer head an upturned bucket half covered my face, a shot that moody staff photographer Cameron Pound took with much glee.

There were a few software scrapes: I reviewed US Gold's two versions of Street Fighter (the original, where the coin-op had pads to punch), slated both... We later found out the UK and USA-programmed games would be on the same tape! Still would've been a crap package, and we returned fire over US Gold's sexist "I know which I'd rather play with" ad for Psycho Pigs UXB that appeared in the same issue.

This sounds very familiar...
We had to give Hawkeye at least 90% for Sizzler status, because it was released by Thalamus, Newsfield's software house. It was a fairly solid title, nice graphical touches and stuff; me and Maff reckoned about 80%. Then Gordon gave us the news and the reaction was "It's gotta be a Sizzler?! No way!" Screwing the kids with fiddled ratings - great. US Gold's Katakis was a deserved Sizzler... but bore an uncanny resemblance to R-Type, which Activision had the licence for! A Katakis demo was supposed to appear on issue 42's cover but was withdrawn over the copyright wrangles; I felt guilty 'cos I wrote the prime quote from the Zzap! review (attributed to Gordon): "the closest you can get to R-Type on a humble 8-bit"! Oops.

Then of course there was the "tacky" Zzap! Challenge! It was Gordon's turn and either his challenger didn't turn up or a challenger was never found - can't remember which. So I was decked out in a ludicrous disguise: baseball cap (can't stand the things), fake Ray-Ban shades and a big plastic nose with plastic lips attached to the bottom. To complete the effect, a tongue was made out of loo roll and stuck out of the lips. My, I did feel cool... It was as bad that the challenge was on Chuckie Egg, a game I'd never played but Gordo knew intimately (though not in the Biblical sense), so naturally I was thrashed. Bah!

Was a shame to leave the Zzap! weirdoes for the straight-laced Games Machine crowd - which included Robin Hogg and Stuart Wynne - but soon there was an office shuffle and TGM ended up opposite Zzap! in a kind of open-plan room. The centre section of a dividing wall had been knocked through at some point but desks were set across the gap, so we had a large window on each other's world. Zzap!'s little sphere included liberal use of inflatables, strange shouts in stranger accents, assorted objects cast in all directions, unpleasant smells (from various foodstuffs, I think), surreal japes... and Maff's ghettoblaster playing Front 242 tapes!

Like most people, the "Night of the Long Knives" (which took place during the day - hmm) is a bit of a blur. I think the art department was hit in the morning: "Yvonne's been sacked!" "What?!" rapidly followed by "Mel's been sacked!!" "WHAT?!!" But was mini taters compared to the triple-whammy of Gordon, Kati and Maff being sacked (it was called "redundancy" but clearly wasn't as the positions they'd held still existed). Those who were left behind couldn't believe it - it was the dumbest thing the management could have done...

Closely followed by putting Stuart, Robin and Phil King on the mag, at the mercy of Paul Rand, the living ego. Lord knows how it happened, but the mag became an ad for Randy; can't imagine the readers were interested in seeing him (and his family!) everywhere. We tried to liven the rest up with 'laccy-band ambushes and friendly mickey-taking, honest.

Things settled into some kind of rhythm after Randy left and we moved to the Case Mills building, and I did return! As a part-time staff writer (my other "part" was writer on Fear magazine), finally getting my reviewer head in Zzap!. Was fun while it lasted - which wasn't long, 'cos I was promoted to sub-editor of GamesMaster International (RPG mag), then took on the same role at Crash. I paid (too) regular visits to the Zzap! office (well, part of a corridor-like room, to be precise) 'cos I got on well with the lads and still held Zzap! in great affection.

Then we were all made redundant by George Lucas (as I observed - Phil ripped me off in his piece!). Zzap! came back under a different publisher but it was duff, and the less said about the risible Commodore Force the better. Once we was kings!
Alas, those days of independence are long gone....

Quote:

The fact is that most reviewers played it for only a few days (hours?) to get a quick impression plus the "sid halo"-effect are probably the main cause for these over the top marks. Civ3 is a good game, but not a perfect one.

In fact, does the perfect game even exist?
Old December 22, 2001, 17:38   #46
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by techumseh
I never said they were "TRYING TO INSULT" me. I said they insulted the scenario community, including me, by pointedly ignoring our letter.
Again, an opinion and nothing more. An insult taken but not intended is not an insult in my opinion, it's just a misunderstanding. So I guess we are both welcome to our own opinions.

It is very possible (IMHO) that they really don't know what they are going to do now. No matter what they say at this moment, nobody is going to like it. So they are probably waiting until it's a done deal so they don't mislead anybody... either way.

Quote:
Anyway, this is not about Libertarians' or my (or anyones') hurt feelings. It's about a disappointing game release and HOW THE COMPANY IS DEALING WITH ITS' UNHAPPY CUSTOMERS!
Gee... it sounds like hurt feelings to me... you talk about insults, and as you even agree, no insult is intended. They are still talking to the community when they have solid information to provide. They have already provided one patch... they are at least trying... THAT IS THE INTENT I SEE... Unlike some companies that just stopped support the second sales took a nose dive. So just because they haven't given you the information you want... maybe it is because they don't know yet.
Old December 22, 2001, 17:58   #47
CapTVK
Civilization II MultiplayerPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
King

Quote:

It is very possible (IMHO) that they really don't know what they are going to do now. No matter what they say at this moment, nobody is going to like it. So they are probably waiting until it's a done deal so they don't mislead anybody... either way.

I mostly wonder if there's even anything left they're allowed to do. The responsibility on what to do with Civ3 doesn't seem to rest with the developers anymore. I'll continue my wait-and-see attitude for now. Trying to second guess Infogrames/Firaxis's motives doesn't accomplish much at the moment.

Apart from upping your post count.
Old December 22, 2001, 17:59   #48
techumseh
Emperor

Whatever....
Old December 22, 2001, 18:16   #49
Libertarian
King

Oh, for cryin' out loud.

I can't imagine outright ignoring someone who has play tested your software and is offering input to be interpreted in any way other than an insult. Gah, Ming. Why can't they just SAY what you're saying they MEAN? Don't you understand that it would be different if they were to go down the list of top ten things in the other thread, for example, and say things like, "Great input! We hope we can do this. We are looking at it. We agree that it would make a big difference. We'll let everyone know as soon as we know something. Oh, and thanks a lot for helping us."

Is that somehow beyond the pall? Don't you understand how much different that is than a cold, sterile, begrudging acknowledgment tossed like pittance after days on end of begging for an answer? Or worse, still no answer, as in Techumseh's case?

This ain't rocket science.
Old December 22, 2001, 18:21   #50
Peter Triggs
CTP2 Source Code ProjectCivilization IV Creators
King

Actually, we were warned. This is from the Poly news archive:

Quote:
QT3 PREVIEW: SKEPTICAL
(1 June 2001, 21:55 EST/Civ3) Not everyone feels assured that Civilization III is going to live up to expectations. Quarter to Three has posted a "60 second preview" <http://www.quartertothree.com/featur...iv3/civ3.shtml> of the game, as they call it, on their website today. Site co-owner/webmaster Tom Chick is confident that the game will be a successful, whilst the other half of QtT's administrative team -- Mark Asher -- is not so sure.

[W]hen I think of all the hours I've spent on games with titles that began with "Sid Meier's...", I can't help but sit back, trust that he knows what he's doing, and look forward to a compelling strategy game this holiday season, Chick calmly concludes.

Asher is not convinced.

[I'm probably being a bit unfair to this game, but I was so far below being whelmed by Civ 3 that I needed a pick and shovel just to mine my way back up to underwhelming] The best part about the presentation I went to was watching Jeff Briggs' bald head start to bead up when I asked how they were going to get rid of the end-game tedium that has always plagued the Civ series. He showed me a streamlined tech tree, like that was some kind of answer? [All the while Sid Meier was standing in the corner of the room with his arms folded in front of his chest, never uttering a word during the presentation. He was like the Godfather and Briggs was his lieutenant, and you just knew Meier was going to bust Briggs over the head with a coffee mug if he said something stupid.] So what's CivIII like? It's CivII with improved graphics and a few new wrinkles.
Edited for emphasis and to include Asher's full comments.
Old December 22, 2001, 19:04   #51
Ming
lifer
Retired

Oh... I hear you Libertarian. And in a perfect world, I would expect them to read EVERY LINE HERE, and POST A RESPONSE TO EVERY INDIVIDUAL POST HERE... But come on, that just isn't going to happen. Let's face reality here.

There are THOUSANDS OF US, and they are a very small company.
And while we wish there was somebody dedicated to answering our EVERY post... think about it. This is only ONE of the MANY fan sites dedicated to civ right now. Just think about the time needed to reveiw EVERY site... EVERY post... it just isn't feasible.
All companies are running thin right now... We, like most business have had to lay off MANY, MANY good workers... because the economy sucks. We don't provide HALF the client service we used to just 18 months ago. That's reality...

They could spend HOURS and HOURS for each site simplying saying, we are aware of this and we don't know yet to each and every question. And again, as pointed out, financial concerns are probably effecting what they will be able to do. Heck, if the game really bombs, they could go bankrupt and WE WILL NEVER SEE ANYMORE SUPPORT. I would much rather have them trying to fix what they can with their resources than dedicating a ton of PR people to post the standard response to every question.

Heck, they started a thread asking about problems... We would be stupid to assume that they aren't aware of ALL the problems.
The fact that they don't respond doesn't mean they aren't aware.
It has become really clear now that they are only responding when they have something definite to say... is that the best choice... probably not... but it may be their only choice based on available resourses.

From looking at posting times, it is obvious that Dan and Jeff are reviewing this site on "their free time"... come on, these guys deserve a life too.

I still stand by the ole... "What have their actions to date told us"
While some would say, they aren't answering all the questions...
I would point out that they ARE answering questions when they have real answers... They have provided the first patch... and then fixed it quickly when they realized they had made some mistakes in the original patch.

To me... this says they are still supporting the game. Again, remember what happened with CPT II

So yeah, the glass is either half full or half empty... and I'm an optimist at this point because they are still responding and looking for input.

They could be better than the approach they are taking, but at least they have been taking AN approach.
Old December 23, 2001, 00:03   #52
Bugg
Settler

Local Time: 14:47
It seems to me that Firaxis by saying that they didnt know what they could about late game tedium is actually asking for solutions. If I were a modder I would create the flatcar or semi- truck or C130. These are used just like the naval transport. You load and unload units. Not the ultimate solution but if you wanted to move 40 units you would only have to move 5 units instead of 40. If anyone can make a unit like this you will end up on my christmas list.
Old December 23, 2001, 00:05   #53
CharlesUFarley
Prince

Local Time: 10:47
Quote:
Oh... I hear you Libertarian. And in a perfect world, I would expect them to read EVERY LINE HERE, and POST A RESPONSE TO EVERY INDIVIDUAL POST HERE... But come on, that just isn't going to happen. Let's face reality here.

There are THOUSANDS OF US, and they are a very small company.
And while we wish there was somebody dedicated to answering our EVERY post... think about it. This is only ONE of the MANY fan sites dedicated to civ right now. Just think about the time needed to reveiw EVERY site... EVERY post... it just isn't feasible.
All companies are running thin right now... We, like most business have had to lay off MANY, MANY good workers... because the economy sucks. We don't provide HALF the client service we used to just 18 months ago. That's reality...
I too can understand the issue of "not enough man-power" or "resources" to complete a task, such as answering thousands of questions and posts. You're right, it isn't feasible. But in many posts in these forums, I made several good suggestions on how they could improve they're PR with the community. And they are aware of my suggestiongs. But still they fumble around, and turn up vague. My suggestion was that they should take all the information (questions etc) and respond in ONE post, set in a public forum for everone to read. A detailed post as to where they're progress is. If they don't know whether or not they're going to add a feature, they say exactly that! If they know for a fact that it's tedius and impossible to alter the coding to accomidate a single feature that many have requested, they should say exactly that. Either way, they can't stop the damage to their reputation or avoid it. If it's going to happen, it will happen. Now, they should be trying to justify all of this, and do *something* to repair all of this damage. The "one post" idea in a public forum, is a winner. But I don't know why they don't use it, rather than this barbaric method they have now. Do you?

Quote:
They could spend HOURS and HOURS for each site simplying saying, we are aware of this and we don't know yet to each and every question. And again, as pointed out, financial concerns are probably effecting what they will be able to do. Heck, if the game really bombs, they could go bankrupt and WE WILL NEVER SEE ANYMORE SUPPORT. I would much rather have them trying to fix what they can with their resources than dedicating a ton of PR people to post the standard response to every question.
As I mentioned before, there are *many* ways to do PR without hurting their finances, or their manpower. What about newsletters updating everyone as to how much progress they've made? And if they go bankrupt it's due to bad business decision, and poor quality. Not the mobs.

Quote:
Heck, they started a thread asking about problems... We would be stupid to assume that they aren't aware of ALL the problems.
The fact that they don't respond doesn't mean they aren't aware.
It has become really clear now that they are only responding when they have something definite to say... is that the best choice... probably not... but it may be their only choice based on available resourses.
Again, I think your missing the point. Sure we can all sit back and say "aww poor Firaxis, we really should cut them slack, give them months of our time and more, whatever it takes to support them" but the fact is, that kind of simple mercy doesn't exist. When people aren't happy with their product(s) they consult the company that produced it. And if they aren't please by the responses or lack of, then they begin to become bitter! Once they are bitter, they start to realize that they actually are at a loss because they spent money on it. Then all hell breaks loose, not only did we get a bad product, but we spent our hard earned dollars on it. You forget, we too worked for that money that was spent to purchase the game. And after 5 years of feedback, and high hopes, Firaxis disapoints us (for whatever reason, but irrilevent to the fans I'm sure) and we're suppose to sit around a campfire with them, hooting songs? C'mon. They don't need support, we've given them that! They need to get their priorities straight and get to work!

Quote:
From looking at posting times, it is obvious that Dan and Jeff are reviewing this site on "their free time"... come on, these guys deserve a life too.
Who said anything about them not having a life, or insisting that they are some type of machine, and should become our slaves? No one is saying anything like that. But they are a business, and this is a sales matter. They exagerated the product, and the consumers aren't happy. Now they have a job to do. And I think they should do it. Otherwise, people should be walking the streets with little cans collecting money for them. Not to mention a "save the Firaxis fund" on the weekends. Be realistic! It's business not personal.

Quote:
I still stand by the ole... "What have their actions to date told us"
While some would say, they aren't answering all the questions...
I would point out that they ARE answering questions when they have real answers... They have provided the first patch... and then fixed it quickly when they realized they had made some mistakes in the original patch.
" They are answering our questions, when they have answers? " Thats a little bit too much BS for me. Again this has been proven time and time again. They're PR died off after Civ2, and since then we've had nothing but vague and cold "responses" from them, and nothing more. None of the information I have seen so far has been helpful to the community. All we know is that they're working on "something". Are you trying to tell me they have NO IDEA what they're working on? Because if they have no idea what they're doing, then perhaps you have a point. But I think they know exactly what they're working on, but they don't wanna share with the rest of the class. And to suggest that they dont have to tell us, would only worsen the effect on they're already tarnished reputation. If you get my meaning.

Quote:
So yeah, the glass is either half full or half empty... and I'm an optimist at this point because they are still responding and looking for input.
I too will wait to see what happens, I'm not going to completely give up on Firaxis, but they do have something to prove to us now, and everyone is watching.

Quote:
They could be better than the approach they are taking, but at least they have been taking AN approach.
Do, or Do not. Never try. - Yoda.
Charles.
Old December 23, 2001, 12:58   #54
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 20:47
Go Ming!!!

Someone mentioned Firaxis exaggerated the product, did they really? Did they promise features that aren't in the game? I don't think so.

about Firaxis answering questions:

They could say what exactly they are working on right now, and what they're fixing, but what if they change their minds, and won't to try a different approach, or even worse, they find out it can't be fixed, due to lack of resources or just plain impossible.

Then they would more fans angry then now, because they said they were fixing it (which could be interpreted as a promise to fix it).
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Old December 23, 2001, 13:51   #55
Blackadar1
Chieftain

I'm glad to see discussions like this now. Early on, during the initial release of Civ III, I was one of the folks who didn't think the game lived up to its potential and said so. Problems with the AI, the units, the resources, etc. were readily apparent, but many were so enamoured with the concept of a Civ III that they attacked anyone with a negative (or even neutral) opinion, so I chose not to post in a hostile environment.

It's nice to see that that table-thumping has calmed down enough so that people can actually explore the shortcomings of the program. Too bad that Firaxis doesn't seem to have a clear plan in place to deal with the issues presented. I'm hoping that Plutaric's (sp?) mod fixes many of the issues...
Old December 23, 2001, 13:53   #56
Libertarian
King

Quote:
Did they promise features that aren't in the game? I don't think so.
Think again.

-----

Quote:
From www.civ3.com
Yes, the game runs under Windows 95/98/Me/2000/XP without any problems.
I refer you to the bugs thread above with a bazillion reports of XP problems.

Quote:
From www.civ3.com
The diplomacy model is being completely overhauled to allow trading of many, many types of resources, commodities, Agreements, Technologies, units, gold, and cities in practically any combination that you can trick your opponent into accepting
Units? What units? Did they mean workers perhaps?

Quote:
From www.civ3.com
Yes, you will absolutely be able to create your own units! With regards to unit customization, we're committed to the scenario/mod community, and we realize that the ability to create diverse, interesting scenarios is one of the major reasons for Civilization II's enduring popularity. To that end, we'll be developing extensive tools for scenario and mod creators to use which will allow them to create whatever they can think of. Flexibility is the order of the day.
I refer you to the now defunct thread with impassioned pleas from the scenario community for a functioning editor that includes, among other things, the ability to place starting tribes where you want them, and zoom out to see your map.

Quote:
From www.civ3.com
We're working on some cool multiplayer concepts that will take a fresh approach to the challenge of making multiplayer for a turn-based game fun. We're not yet ready to give details, but stay tuned. When we have more to report, the site will be updated and our fans, as always, will be the first to know!
Uh huh. Perhaps you'd care to join one of the many multi-player games now underway.

Quote:
From www.civ3.com
The limited edition Civilization III comes in a special tin, and includes everything in the standard edition plus designer's notes from Sid Meier and Jeff Briggs, a fold-out tech tree, and a CD-ROM with behind-the-scenes footage of "The Making of Civ III" and Sid's induction into the IDSA Hall of Fame.
I refer you to the massively angry threads about the so-called designer's notes.

Quote:
From www.civ3.com
Improved combat options provide finer levels of control for enhanced war-making capabilities.
I leave you to judge whether that's true or false. *cough* Helicopter *cough*

Quote:
From www.civ3.com
Technologies, Wonders Of The World and Great People expand the scope of the game.
Yeah. I'm always thrilled when I get my Radio advance.

Quote:
From www.civ3.com
Easier-to-use interface for streamlined management and better control.
Dear lord. If managing workers and military units were any less streamlined, we'd have to move them one tile at a time.

-----

I won't even mention things like air superiority which were promised but weren't tested and didn't work until the patch. I leave people to judge for themselves whether these promises were kept or broken.
Old December 23, 2001, 14:14   #57
Ming
lifer
Retired

Libertarian

You think that maybe they should update their site
Old December 23, 2001, 14:20   #58
Libertarian
King

At this point, it couldn't hurt a thing.

And please, call me Lib.
Old December 23, 2001, 16:33   #59
Steve Clark
King

Just trying to catch up a little and not realizing there was a chat (I thought it was Christmas day, but I didn't read the news).

Lib, the reason I had some sympathy for Firaxis' developers is that I have been in the same position, albeit on a difference scale. I found it perfectly acceptable to give an answer "don't know if I can fix it or not" to my customers on a programming bug. Actually, most of the time I tend not to say anything about it because sometime I just don't know (I totally believe in the adage, "best keep silent and be thought of as a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"). I see it the same way with Firaxis regarding the two issues. While you and others may have saw this as "not acknowledging the problem", I saw it as "don't have an clue what can be done about it". It happens in real life lots of times and not surprisingly, it happened here as I knew it would.

Regarding the tedium of playing Civ3, I had said this weeks ago, but chalked it up to more of my playing style than faults with the game. They purposely dragged out the game into the eras so they can satisfy those that wanted the [insert your favorite] era lasts longer. That's exactly what we got and now folks are wanting the opposite? As far as late game tedium, ever play Nemo's RF and SF? They made the Civ3 modern era play just like those two highly rated scenarios and folks are complaining? I know those aren't for everybody but did you expect a Civ3 game to be played in its entirety in 3-6 hours? And, what happened to all of those folks here that wanted to spending weeks playing a single game with 16 civs?

What is the balance between a meaningful 20-30 hour game (which is what I expected) to those want a 6 hour game and those that want a 60 hour game? If you were the developer, how would you go about designing (or patching) a game where knowing that no matter what you come up with, 20% will love it, 20% will hate it and 60% won't care?
Old December 23, 2001, 17:07   #60
Libertarian
King

Steve,

Thanks for your erudition and insight. It's a matter of record that, rather than having any problem with "we don't know", I in fact accept that as a satisfactory answer.

Thing is, that answer wasn't given, at least not without coy equivocation, until I made the announcement in this thread. The original answer, for which the community begged and pleaded in a long succession of ignored threads, was essentially that they would make a statement when they felt like they had something to say. Not that they didn't know. Not that they did know. Just that they had nothing to say.

I, too, am a developer. And I, too, know better than to promise anything that I have not already spec'd to a fare-thee-well. However, I also know that the proper way to account for my mistakes is not to put my head in the sand or hold my users in contempt, but rather to admit my mistake and plea for their unmerited indulgence.

I understand that money flows from them to me; i.e., I owe them — not the other way around.