Old December 21, 2001, 18:39   #1
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Local Time: 13:48
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Have You Ever Forgot About One Of Your Units?
In my latest game I was crusing around in my big bad shard crusiers and came upon a derilect from the past. About a 150 years from the past. In the form of a Impact foil that I had forgot about.

Lets go back in time....

At the time I was into the pod popping business very heavely. I needed the cash and as I needed losts of money fast. I was a modified Spartan group next to a very real and original Yang. Well at first we had a mutual understanding, he stayed on his side of the line and I stayed on mine. I commisioned an impact vessel to go exploring and maybe use it to intimidate some unsuspecting new faction that I happened upon when I came across a pod. Now up until then I had been pretty lucky to stay away from the sea lurks and Isle of the deeps and had gotten some useful cash and the comm freq to Lal. But atlas the adventers of the crew of the impact foil was going to end when out of the blue a nasty Ilse attacked. Now, my men fought bravely and defeated the evil native lifeform. But it was at a great cost. I think it was something like 60% or 70% damage to be exact. Now I was along way from port, like on the other side of a huge map, so I decided that the crew should wait and fix the damage enough to limp back to port. But this was not to be. That lying bastard Yang wanted me to attack Sven. But I hadn't talked to Sven yet so I declined. Then Yang demanded energy, and I wasn't going to take that either. He threatened me and left. Next turn on of his rovers entered my territory and I demanded that it leave. He informed me that we would see whose land it was.

Skip forward a couple of centuries. Yang is currently in a punishment sphere along with Miriam. I have gone on to dominate the planet with my awesome array of military might. And in preparation for my invasion of the do gooder Lal, My fleet of warships and transports happnes along a lonely little impact foil. The crew managed to fix most of their damage and had waited patiently for instructions.

Usually I am a freak about micro management, and would have caught this. But I have been experiementing with a more lax attitude.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old December 21, 2001, 19:34   #2
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 13:48
shift + H would make it hold for only 10 tens, not indefinately.
From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"
Old December 21, 2001, 20:13   #3
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 04:48
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Things like this have happened to me too. But then I'm an obsessive macro-manager.

Okay, one time, it's about 2300, and I've just seen off my splendid Spartan army on their way to crush Lady Deirdre once and for all. She's not complying, as usual, and I'm busy trying to keep the supply lines up from my island. I click on Sparta Command, and guarding my capital is an Impact Infantry unit. Its level of morale indicates that it was assembled before the Command Nexus. Now, the army that just left was something like Grav Clean Graviton Infantry (20-7-3).

Sometimes I even misplace modern units, usually at the most inopportune times. "Why can I never find a Blink String Deathsphere when I need one? AAARRGH!"
Old December 22, 2001, 18:31   #4
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 05:48
Local Date: November 1, 2010
This happened to me once when I was playing the Pirates. I had occupied something like 2/3 of the ocean, and I realized that I actually still had 2/3/4 Plasma Foils guarding my central bases!! I hadn't upgraded them because in the past I didn't have the cash, and it was just too much bother to go through all my older bases to see what was defending them and upgrade it. Still, kind of ironic that the best bases on Planet were being held by obsolete technology.

Last edited by GeneralTacticus; June 15, 2002 at 23:12.
Old December 22, 2001, 20:21   #5
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 12:48
Quote:
Originally posted by GeneralTacticus
Still, kind of ironic that the best bases on Planet were being held by obsolete technology.
Actually I find this to be typical if those best bases are also your safest or most secure. I have bases that are defended solely by 1-1-1 units until the very end. If it is an interior base and fairly secure, I always find other uses for my money.
In real life its similar, the major military installations and the best weapons are at the front while the streets of the safe interior cities are patrolled and defended largely by police.

I have forgotten units sometimes. One time I had a gun foil that i left in some fungus (on "alert" IIRC) as a scout just adjacent to some strait. I guess nothing came by since much later, I sent a plane in that direction and it was "shoot, what's that doing there?" Everything nearby was conquered so I just brought it to a nearby base and disbanded the thing