Old August 14, 2000, 23:28   #1
Nikethemutt
Settler

Local Time: 00:26
Local Date: October 31, 2010
City Specific "Build List"
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie to the board so I don't know if anyone made a suggestion like this, but:

I would like to see the ability, at the city level, to define a schedule of city improvements for the city to undertake. For example, once a city is built, it would be nice to schedule the next 5 improvements (e.g. --->
1. Phalanx
2. Phalanx
3. Grainery
4. Settlers
5. Market Place)

Once #1 is built, the city would automatically start building #2, then #3 and so on.

I think this is one step beyond the "Auto Build" feature because it would allow you to set the agenda on a city by city basis.

Just a thought.
Old August 15, 2000, 03:15   #2
Evil Capitalist
King

Local Time: 00:26
Its a feature of both SMAC and CTP. It'll be there.
Old August 15, 2000, 06:24   #3
Mad Lord Snapcase

How about a non-city-specific build list? So that you set up a list of things to be built, perhaps with priorities, and the computer automatically figures out where to build them in order to maximise output (or in order to be able to get them to the front most quickly, the player choses)....

Old August 15, 2000, 10:39   #4
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Local Time: 19:26
Local Date: October 30, 2010
How about automatically set up build list? I found it a nightmare in SMAC to be seeting up 30 or 40 similar lists in 30 - 40 new cities 200 turns into the game.

How could this be implemented? You could set an empire wide build list and modify it as needed on the city screen.
Old August 15, 2000, 11:57   #5
Mad Lord Snapcase

How about just being able to save and load the list file?

(Note to users. Subsequent posts to this thread all have to begin with "How about...")

Old August 16, 2000, 00:07   #6
Wazell
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:26
How about having different build-up lists for different types of cities? I mean, that there are agricultural cities, mining communities providing raw materials, industrial cities, military cities and trade cities etc. in real world. Now these cities serve for many uses and probably have non-similar improvements built into them. It'd be good to have this in CivIII also. For example, you could tell a city go agricultural, so it builds a lot of farmers to improve farmland and builds granaries and some minor buildings to support them, also improving roads network around the city and training overpopulation to soldiers. Similarly this works for creating science cities, this time it maybe creates trade routes and attracts wise emigrants? Also there can be an option to make a city equally powerful in all these areas.

This city-specializing is obviously only for modern times, but after all there are not too many cities before that time.

Edit: Sorry, Shadowstrike. I won't do that again, I promise.

[This message has been edited by Wazell (edited August 17, 2000).]
Old August 16, 2000, 00:23   #7
Shadowstrike
Emperor

How about a few different lists, as the user may want it so. But usually, who would not want to build a defensive unit first, followed by a Setter?

You broke the "How about" tradition!
Old August 16, 2000, 03:10   #8
UltraSonix
King

Local Time: 10:26
quote:

How about a few different lists, as the user may want it so. But usually, who would not want to build a defensive unit first, followed by a Setter?

How about having user-defined lists that are stored inside a text file. And then the build queue would have a button that pops up all the available pre-defined queue lists that you would be able to select. So there would be one for a new city, one for a modern city going militaritic, etc. This feature should be easy enough to implement into the game.

------------------
No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards...
[This message has been edited by UltraSonix (edited August 16, 2000).]
Old August 16, 2000, 09:02   #9
Shadowstrike
Emperor

How about going with UltraSonix's idea. Its a great idea, a editable text file.... Hmm, me might even get some players opening that before booting up the game.