Old December 24, 2001, 07:39   #1
VitalyB
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Is it possible for a faction to support you in vote for diplomatic victory?
Exluding surrendered factions, obviously, that are willing to die for you.
But what about the regular ones? I never had factions support me in this even if they were in a pact.
Old December 24, 2001, 08:31   #2
Clear Skies
Prince

Local Time: 18:53
Only very very rarely will they support you off their own bat. I've managed to bribe them into it (it normally takes at LEAST 3 techs/3000 energy creds) but I've only twice had support from un-submitted factions. In one case Zak was very close to being squished by Lal and obviously wanted a way out; in the other, Dee just upped and supported me for no apparent reason.

On an almost completely unrelated topic:
1. Has anyone ever had a deadlocked Planetary Governor vote? I ALMOST managed one - when I abstained from voting, Lal gained 245 votes and I got 247. I couldn't find any way to shift that last vote.
And 2. Has anyone else ever been bribed by the AI? It happened to me today for the first time EVER. Dee offered me techs for my vote in the first PG election.
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Old December 24, 2001, 09:20   #3
VitalyB
Chieftain

1) Nope
2) Been bribed by the AI is quite rare indeed but it happened to me once or twice. It is quite rare because they do it only when you are not a canditat yourself and are able to change the results.

Another rarity that happened to me today (first time), that two AI factions had the same votes number. So the elections were between 3 candidates. Me and them.
Old December 24, 2001, 10:39   #4
big_canuk
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 13:53
I have had a deadlocked planetary gov vote a few times. The existing governor then continues. I do, however, not know what happens if the *first* planetary governor election is deadlocked. I guess it would be either 2 governors, or a re-vote. I have a fuzzy recollection of the former, but it was probably just a dream.

On being bribed, they do it all the time, even in MP games, sometimes to sway votes, and sometimes to solidify positions. See the faction strife thread as an example. There Tau was bribed, even though the did and could not affect the outcome. I guess the AI felt unsure about it's pactmates.
In SP games, I'm sure lots of bribing happens, but you are only aware of it if you are a bribor or bribee.

Last edited by big_canuk; December 24, 2001 at 10:55.
Old December 24, 2001, 12:17   #5
moi
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:53
i've deadlocked the first PG election; the results are invalidated and you just wait for someone else to call council again
Old December 27, 2001, 19:49   #6
MariOne
King

I have been deadlocked too on my first PG election.
They had to wait 20 years before they could call it again, and it was to my benefit at least because 4 other factions had coalized against me and I could not have won the election alone despite being the nearly ics-ing Hive.

In the first election it was PK against me. I wanted to be generous, and I said him that I would have not conquered his HQ with the EG, only if he had called the election and "managed" anyhow to get me governor. I didn't want no excuse: he just had to bribe the other players on my behalf to get his HQ (and his life) safe albeit at my permanent mercy.
Of course, he had the alternative to get elected himself but that would have given me the excuse to wipe him out (I had that illusion that I could have played the "nice and merciful tyrant", what an oxymoron, and what a moron tout-court).
I didn't make him smart enough to self-obliterate his HQ (destroying the EG for the rest of the game!), and the others opted to use the numeric opportunity they had to deadlock the election (like if that would have stopped me from pusuing the Pk eradication anyway ).
I won as SL in the end anyway...

(of course, I am talking about an all-human pbem, although this forum rather than strategy should be called "tactics which only work against the dumb AI"... )

Last edited by MariOne; December 27, 2001 at 19:55.