Old January 6, 2002, 09:16   #1
Ingwar
Settler

Local Time: 18:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Save 50% On Rush buying
The price for rush buying is 4 Gold / Shield, and if you try to rush buy something fresh, the price doubles

If you want to rush buy, let's say a knight, you have to pay,
70 Shields * 8 = 560 Gold!

But if you first rush buy a Worker,
10 Shields * 8 Gold = 80 Gold.

Then switch to a Musketeer and rush buy him,
(60 Shields - 10 Shields [from the Worker]) * 4 = 200 Gold.

And then finally switch to the Knight (Not rush buying) you'll have him ready in one turn for 280 Gold! That's a saving on 50%.

Smart people will notice that 10 Shields is missing from the calculations, a Knight cost 70 Shields and I've only paid to rush buy 60 (10 from the Worker and 50 from the Musketeer), this means that the city need to have at least 10 Shields production to finish the Knight in one turn.

This is the whole point! I have to pay double to rush buy a Worker, but by NOT rush buying the last 10 Shields I've saved 40 Gold, which is exactly the price I had to pay extra for the Worker, that is why I can get a saving on 50%

We can take this even further, if your city have 30+ production then you can rush buy a Long Bow man (40 Shields) instead of a Musketeer, this way you'll get the Knight for only 200 Gold

80 Gold [from the Worker] + (40 Shields - 10 Shields [from the Worker]) * 4 = 200 Gold

This technique can save you a lot of money when you rush buy stuff. The only thing you have to do is to look at the production in the city then subtract it from the Shield cost of the Structure/Unit you want to buy and then find an other Structure/Unit that cost the same number of Shields as you got from the subtraction. And the most important thing - The first thing you rush buy should ALWAYS be a Worker!
Old January 6, 2002, 10:06   #2
Ingwar
Settler

Example:
My city produce 30 Shields/turn, so I need to rush buy 40 Shields to get a Knight in one turn.
70 Shields [the cost of the knight] - 30 Shields [The production in the city] = 40 Shields
I chose to rush buy a Long Bow Man, which cost exactly 40 Shields.

The saving is then:
[Production in the City] * 4 - 40 Gold = Saving

In the example it'll be: 30 * 4 - 40 Gold = 80 Gold

The above is only true if you rush buy the right number of Shields... If you have 31 production in the city and rush buy a Long Bow Man, you'll only save 80 Gold NOT 84.

Note that this saving is the "extra saving". Because you'll still have saved 50% as long as your city produce 10 Shields/turn to nullify the 40 Gold you paid extra for the Worker, every Shield after 10 will increase the saving beyond 50%.

So my city with 30 production/turn will save 64% if it use this technique to rush buy a knight!!

I hope you guys can follow me... I've tried to make this as understandable as possible - And I know if I succeeded doing so!
Old January 6, 2002, 13:33   #3
darthx86
Chieftain

As long as there is at least one shield of production already complete, the cost is always about half, no matter what you're buying. This is a good use for those units that can't be upgraded and are otherwise obsolete.
Old January 6, 2002, 19:54   #4
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 05:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by darthx86
As long as there is at least one shield of production already complete, the cost is always about half, no matter what you're buying. This is a good use for those units that can't be upgraded and are otherwise obsolete.
Yep, and thats the whole point of rushing the worker first - to get that first shield in the production bin.

Ingwar thats a good method to get stuff rushed 1 per turn, even better that it costs less than half what it should cost
Old January 6, 2002, 20:21   #5
Skeletal Dragon
Settler

I think this can apply to pop rushing as well... EX. A fresh horseman takes 2 citizens to rush, but a horseman with at least 1 shield in the production box only needs 1 citizen.