Old September 1, 2000, 18:10   #1
Christantine The Great
Prince

Local Time: 19:26
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Trade=Tech-Research
I think that the only lines of communication between Civs in Civ II was when a caravan arrives at a city or when a tank knocks on your front door. Diplomacy stunk so you never really got anything out of it. The other two lines of communication never really were used to the full extent. I think that if you have a trade route to a country and they are more advanced than you than some of their wonderful ideas should trickle in your country. For instance maybe your trader saw someone hunting with a bow. They had never seen this before so they trade some of their goods for the bow. They then smuggle the bow out of the country. This is kind of like ancient spying. POOF! You got Archery. Also if you bribe an advanced unit than you can take it apart and figure out how to work it. This would be good if you were far behind your enemy and then you got a tank. POOF! You know how to build a tank and anything that is needed to build a tank.

------------------
"Adorare Christantine!!!"
Chrisonian Decree #1
Old September 1, 2000, 19:20   #2
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Maybe you should have to bring the tank back to your cities before disbanding it could yield tech. If it was trapped behind enemy lines, deconstructing it would do more harm then good.
Old September 1, 2000, 20:32   #3
wernazuma

Good topic:
Especially the idea that trade with a higher advanced civ should have impact on the own development is a very good thing and easy to implement.
I never liked the idea that bronze age civs live close to industrial civs profitting from them only through spy-actions that cause diplomatic difficulties.

Well, my thumb's up for that idea.

Old September 1, 2000, 23:03   #4
Christantine The Great
Prince

ShadowStrike

I meant that the Tank would be taken to a city, not dismantled while you are being shelled apart.

Also during the beginning of the game where there are alot of goodie huts the units that you might find will give you the tech that is needed to build them.

------------------
"Adorare Christantine!!!"
Chrisonian Decree #1
Old September 2, 2000, 02:34   #5
Youngsun
Prince

Local Time: 00:26
Local Date: October 31, 2010
If allowed, only primitive/early ancient tech should be obtained from those huts. Can you imagine that you get "Physics" or "Philosophy" from bushfolks?
Old September 2, 2000, 08:29   #6
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 03:26
In the reality , ancient techs passed really easily between civs . from the construction of the first chariots to their spread through the old world passed about 100 years ( two turns ? ) so I dunno .

I think the tech stuff really should be "reinvented:

------------------
We don't prohibit smoking . We discourage inhaling .
Old September 2, 2000, 09:18   #7
wernazuma

To my knowledge chinese of the 2nd millenium BC used chariots manufactured in the near east.
But still there has been a difference in the speed of tech-diffusion.
Philosophical, religious and political ideas as well as arts-advances (architectre, theatre etc.)spread much slower than "real techs" like weapons or ceramics or the plow, because they are less an "advance" than reactions on social situations.
A chinese could understand easily why chariots are useful, whereas e.g. the greek "democracy" only worked within the city-states and outsiders couldn't see any it as "advance", so they simplydidn't reflect the idea.

Old September 3, 2000, 19:10   #8
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 00:26
1.If you disband a tank in enemy territory the nearest enemy city
should recover the resources and men; pilfering and assimiliating.
Which is something that was done even in times of peace.

2.You should only be able to achieve from the huts a tech from
the third rung down because the minor tribes would not be very
advanced.

3.If you contributed enough money to 'trade' in your social engineering
you could possibly acquire a tech from an enemy civ every 20 turns
that they possessed the tech and you had a trade route to more than
half of their cities opened.
Old September 3, 2000, 20:31   #9
Christantine The Great
Prince

I disagree with 1 because I think you should decide if you want to let the prisoners go.

I think instead of having a fixed turn number you should be able to order a trader or a spy that poses for a trader to smuggle out a component of a machine or army being built in that city. 20 turns could equal 500 years sometimes.

------------------
"Freedom, Trade, Christantine!"