Old September 1, 2000, 20:56   #91
Lonestar
inmate
King

Local Time: 20:27
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Actually I believe my exact words were "I wish them luck in crushing the Palestinian State that Arafat's going to create on Sept. 13"

I believe in shelf-determination for all people, but not at the expense of one of the most persecuted groups in humanity's history.

Hey, I just got an idea for a random event....

------------------
"You may not be interested in war, but war is interested in you"

"Soylant Green is people. PPPeeeoooppllleee!"
Old September 1, 2000, 23:04   #92
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 20:27
Then I wish the Palestinians luck in crushing Israel with terrorist bombs...

Hebrews aren't a Civ of consequence. Face it, unless there are 64 civs to pick from, they won't be in it. At their HEIGHT, the Assyrians and then the Babylonians, and then the Egyptians were more powerful that them (not to mention the Chinese and Persians).
Old September 2, 2000, 04:02   #93
Youngsun
Prince

Local Time: 00:27
Local Date: October 31, 2010
wernazuma

Why don't you update/edit your list to tell Annam(Vietnam) has nothing to do with Siam(Thailand)?

Old September 3, 2000, 00:18   #94
Vitmore The Great
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:27
Israel should be included. It is one of the few civs that has had a hay day (David and Solomon), final destruction as a unified nation in their homeland (the Dispora of the Romans), a legacy (Christianity, Judiasm, Islam), expierinced near extermination (Holocaust), and a resurection (May 1948). How many civs can say that? I don't think that one can deny all this, and say Israel should not be included. It is the ultimate survivor. Israel, or Jews in general, obviously have a characteristic that civs have tried to aquire since Sumer, immortality.

There's my rant.

Vitmore
Old September 3, 2000, 00:19   #95
Vitmore The Great
Chieftain

Israel should be included. It is one of the few civs that has had a hay day (David and Solomon), final destruction as a unified nation in their homeland (the Dispora of the Romans), a legacy (Christianity, Judiasm, Islam), expierinced near extermination (Holocaust), and a resurection (May 1948). How many civs can say that? I don't think that one can deny all this, and say Israel should not be included. It is the ultimate survivor. Israel, or Jews in general, obviously have a characteristic that civs have tried to aquire since Sumer, immortality.

There's my rant.

Vitmore
Old September 3, 2000, 00:20   #96
Vitmore The Great
Chieftain

There's my rant.

Vitmore
Old September 7, 2000, 05:27   #97
Patriqvium
Prince

Local Time: 02:27
Congratulations! You've made a triple post!
Now, let's get serious.

I too think the Israelites should be included because to the fact someone already said: We're not replaying what happened; we're making an alternate history. What if WWII was fought by Polynesians and Thai? Or the Vikings and Mongols? The possibilities are endless...
Old September 7, 2000, 08:26   #98
rremus
Warlord

The game will have the few well known ancient civs (Greek, Roman, Aztec etc.) and civs coresponding to countries in wich Firaxis expect sales for the game (US, Canada, German, French etc.)

Civs that SHOULD be in the game? Well, I would like to start a game with civs coresponding to countries and acient civs from my region... I can't realate too much to Aztecs or Khmers or Sioux civs, but beating the hell out of Russians sure gives satisfaction!

Old September 7, 2000, 08:33   #99
rremus
Warlord

quote:

Originally posted by Dalgetti on 08-30-2000 02:40 PM
the hitites (spell?) were the inventors of Iron Working

And, did they got the Legion unit after that?

Old September 7, 2000, 08:44   #100
Temudschin Dschingis Khan
Settler

Give the game the feeling of historical accuracy and it doesn´t matter which civ you´ll play! If there is a certain development in the history of your civilization (eg rise and fall..) it keeps fun playing ´cos every game will be different.
Of course I like to play the:

Germans
Mongols
Chinese
Franks
Romans
Greek
Babylonians
Sumerians
Egyptians
Indians
Spanish
Russians
Atzecs
Inkas
Israelites
Etrusks
and the
Japanese...

------------------
----Mongolia Rules------
Old September 7, 2000, 19:17   #101
Adm.Naismith
King

Local Time: 01:27
rremus surely have a (marketing ) point
quote:

The game will have the few well known ancient civs (Greek, Roman, Aztec etc.) and civs coresponding to countries in wich Firaxis expect sales for the game (US, Canada, German, French etc.)

My preferred option, if some Rise and Fall of Civ will be implemented, will be to start chosing betwneen only historically accurate Civ, then chose one of the related Nation when they'll appear after some split of civ.

So, starting with Roman I can have the possibility of "evolve" into Italy or Spain (etc.), when games will eventually raise them from original Roman empire (when it will happens, the game will suggest me a list of realistic names, still will let me write a fantasy one).

So modern nations are names available for evolving Civ, as in real history: cathed two birds with a stone.

Of course you can also have some relevant event when game will let you change your Civ/Nation name (e.g. after a change of government, or some main war (main territory annexion, e.g. if - game case - England conquer Ireland it can change its name to Great Britain, to better show its new status).

It can add some mess with statistics and reports, but probably no more than that raised from Raise and Fall concept anyway ).

Do you want to play Canada? Better you don't start on Chinese Civ (earth like map) then .

------------------
Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
Old September 7, 2000, 20:25   #102
Apollo
Settler

Ok it was fun reading through all those posts (albeit some crazy ones like make a "Canadian" civ :P). Well if the game will be so large that they can add ever country as a civ, then why not add ICELAND? We have had some impact on the world, we BEAT the british in the Cod wars [ ].

Anyway I believe that the core civilizations, who MUST be included, should be chosen like this: Take every 200 years of history from 4000 B.C. to 2000 A.D. and write down the 3 (no more) most powerful civs, Military, Economy, and Influence on the world being the major factors in determening "power". These civs should all be added to the game. The only other factor to be considered is chosing ATLEAST 1 civ of each race of the world (that is if they arent on the list already). If there is enough space left to add more civs, like Canadian, Australian etc then sure go ahead, but they should NOT be added at the expense of other civs who are already on that list.

Imho that is the best possible way in determining which civilization deserves to be in the game.

Just for fun ill pick some civs:

From 1800-2000: USA (because of its strength as a nation today, and vast influence on the rest of the world since WW2).
Britain (huge influence on the world and military power from 1800 to the 20th century. Out of all the European nations, Britain has had the most influnce during these 200 years around the globe, although Germany was perhaps more militarily powerful most of the time, it did not have nearly as much of an effect on the world as the British Empire)
Japan: (I had some problems deciding Japan over China, but the reason was Japan simply has been a stronger nation for most of the time between 1800-2000. It conquered most of China during WW2, and has certainly been alot more economically successful during this time, plus it has had more influence on the world mostly from trading)

[This message has been edited by Apollo (edited September 07, 2000).]
Old September 7, 2000, 21:36   #103
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 18:27
On the canadian question in the beggining of the thread, Canada is pretty close to ending to. Recently the top financial, Busniess, and political leaders of Canada met and discussed how they are becoming just like America. Many thought that Canada would be the 51st state in 20 years. A majority of Canada's citizens think there is no difference between Canada and US and a signifigant percentage (30%) of Canada's industry is owned by the US (the largest for any irst world country. Also a majority of its entrpreneurs and scientists come to the US to work.

Jon Miller
Old September 8, 2000, 06:08   #104
Settler

@Apollo:
I think we can argue until Civ5 gets gold about the importants of nations.
I agree to the US, but what´s about Russia/Soviet-Union?
The Cold war influenced nearly the second half of the twentieth century. And Germany? Although its main influence on the history wasn´t good all the time
(WW I+2), it has a bigger than Japan! (Einstein, Heisenberg, Lorenz and so on.)
You see, your period of time should be narrowed in the later centuries. Britains climax of power was in the 19th century but the 20th century was mainly influenced by the USA, Russia and the two World Wars.

------------------
----Mongolia Rules------
Old September 8, 2000, 14:33   #105
ckmj23
Settler

ok, since when is Civ all about who has the biggest army/military power? If I recall you can win the game using other strategies. Why would Canada not be considered a great Civilization? Maybe not in a historical context, but by today's standards, an excellent civilization. Not only are we the best place to live in the world, we also are responsible for many new technologies and medical breakthroughs. Now of course their are many other countries that can claim this, and of course the should be put in the game too. I disagree with all this arrogant Canadian bashing by Americans. This of course is just my humble opinion, but I feel strongly that if civ's such as the Scottish and Celts are in the game than so should Canadians. We may not have their history but we are a great country none the less.
Old September 8, 2000, 14:49   #106
Settler

I think the 1 GHZ CPUS are strong enough to give Canada a chance!

Good morning sunshine...

------------------
----Mongolia Rules------
Old September 8, 2000, 15:01   #107
wernazuma

My thread passed the 100-posts-mark

Apollo: If you believe it or not, for myself I made up an iceland city-list, I had problems to find rulers though.

Old September 8, 2000, 18:16   #108
Apollo
Settler

Well its debateable which civilization/nation should get on the list per every 200 years, however what im saying is dont pick more than 3 civs per every 200 years.

As for rulers in an Icelandic civ, they should be: Ingolfur Arnarson (the first viking to "find" iceland and settle in it), as for a female name, thats a toughie...well you could put Vigdis Finnbogadottir, she was our president for 12 years.