Old January 8, 2002, 03:32   #1
Phoenix
Prince

Local Time: 13:03
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Help with Espionage!
Hey whats up people! I recently finished my first game of Civ III....then I kept playing it...and playing it....and now its about the year 2300 and I'm thinking maybe I should start a new one

Anyway I have some questions that I need help with....

1) How does Espionage work? I have the Intellegence Agency and embassies with everyone, yet when I click on Espionage all I get is 'Investiage City' or 'Steal Technology' what happened to Propaganda and the like?

2) Does the U.N. not meet after the game offically ends? In the same train of thought....do Spaceships not work after the game ends? I built one and as soon as it was done I couldn't look at it anymore.

3) What exactly is required for a unit to be able to upgrade? Is it merely the resources required and a trade route that makes those resources available? Are there limits to how many units you can upgrade?
Old January 8, 2002, 03:46   #2
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 07:03
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I can only answer 1. definitively...

First before espionage yo u need to plant a spy. You do this NOT by clicking on the button on the RHS of the screen, but by right-clicking yr capital and going to espionage. Here it gives you an option to place a spy, and afterwards you can do all those lovley oh-too-expensive fun things!
Old January 8, 2002, 03:53   #3
Phoenix
Prince

I just tried that....all it says is "We cannot establish any new embassies at this time"
Old January 8, 2002, 04:30   #4
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 06:03
Local Date: November 1, 2010
1) You plant spies by right clicking on the city you built the Intelligence Agency, not your capital.

2) Dunno, never got that far.

3) In order to upgrade, you must have A: the recquired resources for the unit you're trying to upgrade to, B: enough money for the upgrade, and C: a Barracks in the city your unit is in (you can't upgrade in the field, which sucks).
Old January 8, 2002, 04:38   #5
Phoenix
Prince

Thank you! That worked!!!!!
Old January 8, 2002, 08:02   #6
Atahualpa
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Latin Lovers
Emperor

Local Time: 20:03
I shudder everytime I hear of those horrible interface decisions!!!

Not that those little buttons on the side are completely unnoticable they are also limited in functionality.
Espionage things have to be placed at least in this screen.

Whoever designed the UI..... if it was Sid himself he may should consider retiring.

ata
Old January 8, 2002, 08:40   #7
JZ Temple
Settler

Local Time: 14:03
Does anyone else find the espionage costs prohibitively expensive? I am playing on Regent and even there the cost for a single action is in the hundreds if not thousands with no guarantee of success.
Old January 8, 2002, 11:29   #8
Akka
Prince

Local Time: 20:03
Re: Help with Espionage!
1) Espionnage does not work. No way that I call "working" something that require three times my whole treasury and NEVER succeed even when I've all the bonuses imaginable.

2) I'm not sure but I don't think. Anyway, considering how lame the ends are, it's not a loss.

3) Ressource, tech, barrack in the same city.
Old January 8, 2002, 21:46   #9
philosophile
Settler

Local Time: 19:03
You have to be smart with your espionage. If you want to propoganda a city, try to get it to be in civil disorder before you prop them. They'll jump sides pretty easily under civil disorder.

Stealing tech and such, thats another story.... besides it's cheaper to trade for it.
Old January 10, 2002, 04:47   #10
Phoenix
Prince

...well I did think it was kind of cute that the manual says click the espionage tag....but I suppose I could overlook that....now I need to talk to someone about this whole 'corruption' thing....and why its easier to conquer the world than it is to build the Forbidden Palace....I'm starting to have doubts about this version of civ.....