Old January 8, 2002, 12:59   #1
Trifna
King

Local Time: 03:04
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Poll analysis: problem in sight about Civ III
1/3 of APOLYTONERS left Civ III not even 2 months after its release?! (based on opaque's poll) Hey! We're not even the crowds of real-time and Quake players, it's a fansite here. Here are the more loyal and/or hardcore Civ fans and 1/3 left Civ III by now. I think we're due for proving the fact that there is a serious problem somewhere... (BTW, there were 77 voters, so I think that the statistical base is enough)

And since we're at poll analysis, may I also remark that "Do you use colonies?" poll says that majority just don't and 6% do often? My personal conclusion: colonies have to be rethinked since they were used alot in History because of a high rentability and still are. But this still is only a game feature, not the entire game... but an interesting poll. (I'm not THAT surprised about colonies, since they're new to Civ sery and were out in a beta game)

Please note that I do not say Civ III is worth nothing for such reasons, but do conclude that some interrogations are well due. I personnally think that some changes are needed, wether in a patch, expansion... or Civ IV

Post scriptum: I remark after that we should also look at which Apolytoners have more tendancy to respond to such polls. It may change results

Last edited by Trifna; January 8, 2002 at 23:25.
Old January 8, 2002, 13:09   #2
Trifna
King

Also:
Maybe this should demonstrate to people thinking "all is okay" that they are due to put this assertion back to the drawing, since this thread is there to prove the opposit.
Old January 8, 2002, 14:09   #3
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Local Time: 14:04
Local Date: October 31, 2010
You bet. Nothing a few dozen patches won't cure.
Old January 8, 2002, 14:17   #4
Zachriel
King

Local Time: 15:04
Re: Poll analysis: problem in sight about Civ III
Quote:
[SIZE=1] (BTW, there were 77 voters, so I think that the statistical base is enough)
Sorry these kinds of web-based "polls" do not statistically sample opinion, even of those who visit the website. It only samples the kinds of people who respond to these kinds of polls, usually the rabid haters and complainers. The people looking for hints to improve their game play will probably not bother.

(For instance, many web-based "polls" showed Bush winning over Gore by 70%-30% in the last U.S. presidential election. Of course, Gore actually received more votes.)
Old January 8, 2002, 16:03   #5
Satis5d
Settler

Local Time: 14:04
Colonies were a good idea. I still use them sometimes, especially in tundra. However, we've learned that it's usually more advantageous to just build a city on or near a resource than to build a colony. So what. Just because you have the option to use something doesn't mean you have to use it all the time.

Do you actually fight with every military unit in the game? I sure don't. I build lots of cavalry and infantry, but I find I make very few chariots. It's the same kind of argument.

Keep the colonies the way they are. They're fine.
"I was a young man with unformed ideas. I threw out queries, suggestions, wondering all the time over everything, and to my astonishment, the ideas took like wildfire. People made a religion of them." - Charles Darwin
Old January 8, 2002, 23:23   #6
Trifna
King

Re: Re: Poll analysis: problem in sight about Civ III
Quote:
Originally posted by Zachriel

Sorry these kinds of web-based "polls" do not statistically sample opinion, even of those who visit the website. It only samples the kinds of people who respond to these kinds of polls, usually the rabid haters and complainers. The people looking for hints to improve their game play will probably not bother.

(For instance, many web-based "polls" showed Bush winning over Gore by 70%-30% in the last U.S. presidential election. Of course, Gore actually received more votes.)
I fear you may be partly right

I'll edit the post... Just wondering at which extent these results are representative of Apolytoners...
Old January 9, 2002, 08:47   #7
Zachriel
King

Re: Re: Re: Poll analysis: problem in sight about Civ III
Quote:
Originally posted by Trifna

I fear you may be partly right

I'll edit the post... Just wondering at which extent these results are representative of Apolytoners...
That's all right. These polls are fun to do anyway. And fun to talk about.
Old January 9, 2002, 09:29   #8
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Clearly it indicates an important trend, and Firaxis' response is to huddle close with the people who see no problems and forgive everything. Problem there is, they are the REAL minority of gamers. Keep making games for them, Firaxis. Feels better, I'm sure, 'til you are hitting the trades for job openings.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.