Old February 7, 2002, 21:50   #181
FNBrown
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 11:06
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I agree... the turn-by-turn updates can be sort of a drag... unless everyone else really wants to know what happens every turn, I'd rather have a little more flexibility...

Ground Control to Major Tom?

Guess we'll have to send up Gill...
Old February 7, 2002, 23:19   #182
Giovanni August
Warlord

Local Time: 20:06
Location: Torino (Turin) Piemonte ITALY / Augusta Taurinorum - Sub Alpes Italia
Yeah I Agree!
We should probably post a little summary comprohensive of all the 20 turns like and maybe write a little short and funny intermezzo or whatever.....!

Saluti
Old February 8, 2002, 09:11   #183
gillskill
Civilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:06
I'll take the next turn and post the results this weekend. I was thinking of doing more of a summary than turn-by-turn update, so that's fine for me!

I think if a player wants to take less than 20 turns, seeing as how it can take so long now, that should be OK.
Old February 10, 2002, 20:53   #184
Giovanni August
Warlord

Hello???
Is anybody still here???

Wake me up when you are done

Saluti
Old February 11, 2002, 08:02   #185
gillskill
Chieftain

The reign of Gillskill III will be remembered, if at all, as a time of peacefull growth. Coming to power at a time of anarchy that was sweeping the empire he soon established a democracy that became a beacon of peace and freedom across the world.

He kept France out of the wars that were raging across the Eastern Continent and were seeing the Egyptians slowly being torn apart. Instead he concentrated on a programme of massive city improvements. Libraries, market-places, courthouses, cathedrals etc sprung up all over the empire.

The funds for the public expenditure came as result of the helpful trades that he had negotiated. Seeing as Bach's Cathedral was soon approaching completion he sold the knowledge of Music Theory throughout the world, and enjoyed a little laugh as copies were started in almost all countries. The only real competition came from the Aztecs, but his spies imformed him that they were still a spire or two behind.

The vast building works in the Valley of Kings led to what had once been such a pleasant region being reduced to a polluted mess. The once clear water of Flumen Ordis was now no more than an open sewer - the stench washing over the palace.

In order to alleviate the overcrowding in his cities 3 new towns were founded on unused land in the Empire. Leyles in the clearer air in the hills north of the Valley of the Kings, Neuville in the Green Valley, and Oasville in the former English deserts.

Science continued at a vast pace in the new democracy, advances only taking 4 turns, with still more than 200 gold each turn to the treasury.

The new advances allowed the start on buildings to entice Newton and Shakespeare to the land of freedom. At his death no others in the world had started them, and he had the plans for Smith's Trading Company on file. His body was laid to rest in the crypt of Bach's Cathedral, confident that it would soon be completed over his remains.

The armed forces were somewhat neglected during his reign, with the once conquering army put on border patrol, and eyeing the city of Troy - a disgraceful blot on the french landscape, but something that could no doubt be sorted out by future generations.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip peace.zip (379.7 KB, 4 views)
Old February 11, 2002, 09:30   #186
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Nice to hear that France grows well and prosper.

I will take over the reign within the next 3 days, despite the fact that I have a guest. If nothing special happens (I don't plan to start a war), I may make full 20 turns. But if there something unforeseen happens, and turns last too long to fit the whole thing in one evening, it may be only 10 turns. I will post the result this Thursday at the latest.
Old February 12, 2002, 22:08   #187
Harovan
staff

Ok folks, I made full 20 turns. Have good news and bad news.

Bad news: We have almost no money left.
Good news: I spent it for a modern army and a 90% science rate, thus making our tech lead huge.
Good news: We have our Golden age.
Bad news: We are in a new war.
Good news: France is safe and winning.

So far what I can throw in shortly. Summary and savegame tomorrow! Good night!
Old February 12, 2002, 23:16   #188
FNBrown
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
Ok folks, I made full 20 turns. Have good news and bad news.

Bad news: We have almost no money left.
Good news: I spent it for a modern army and a 90% science rate, thus making our tech lead huge.
Good news: We have our Golden age.
Bad news: We are in a new war.
Good news: France is safe and winning.

So far what I can throw in shortly. Summary and savegame tomorrow! Good night!
I think the good news far outweighs the bad news... looking forward to the summary. :-)
Old February 12, 2002, 23:18   #189
FNBrown
Prince

I figured it was time to post the order again... I think this is correct, but please let me know if I've left anyone out, or screwed up the sequence at all...

(top)
Eddy Eat World
Gillskill
Sir Ralph
Fredric Drum
FNBrown
Giovanni August
(bottom)
Old February 13, 2002, 15:41   #190
Harovan
staff

After the death of Gillskill III, the French parliament elected the second president of the democratic France. He was a priest and formerly the clerical leader of one of the oldest French cities. His name was Cardinal Claude de Saint Ralph. At the begin of his governance France was a peaceful, big, rich and enlightened country, but with a hopelessly outclassed military. Although de Saint Ralph did not intend military actions, he was aware, that this had to be changed, to secure the French leadership over the World.

1430: Emperor Caesar of Rome came to France to an official visit. One of his wishes was the exchange of World maps. Cardinal de St. Ralph agreed to give him the high quality French world map in exchange for his worthless one, 16 gold and 1 gold per turn.

1435-40: Several cities were ordered to train Knights, in order to have a mobile military force.

1445: The evil Persians were reported to have completed Johann Sebastian Bachs Cathedral in their puny village Gordium, 15 years before the construction of the French variant would be finished. So many work seemed to be wasted. But Cardinal de Saint-Ralph found an investor for the almost completed building: A former Scottish economist named Adam Smith promised to rebuild it in 15 years to form a Trade Company.

1450: French scientists discovered Magnetism and were told to work on Military tradition. According to our scientists France entered a new age, the so called Industrial era. A new city was founded in the Glittering mountains: Saint Albray. The prophets have foreseen, that sometimes it would be famous for great French cheese. Cardinal de St. Ralph signed the "Bill of Troy". He promised to spend lots of money, about 2500 gold, to finish Libraries and Cathedrals in the 3 nearby formerly English and now French cities, in order to seduce the miserable citizens of Troy with the high French culture.

1455: The treacherous Persians cancelled the Silk for Ivory and 1 gold deal. They weren't willing to sell their silk for a reasonable amount of money, so the Cardinal told them to use their silks as toilet paper, France won't need it, and sold them the valuable French ivory for 27 gold per turn instead.

1460: Adam Smith finished his Trading Company in Minas-Morgul. And the people rejoyced that much, that they will make more production and gold for 100 years. Historians will call this later the Golden Age of France. The French income was vastly increased, we are making 887 gold per turn at this point. De St. Ralph ordered to use this gold for funding the Bill of Troy.

1465: The foreign advisor reported, that the rampant Chinese destroyed Egypt.

1470: Military tradition was discovered, and our scientists are working on Nationalism now. To increase their performance, the science funds were increased to 90%.

1475: Minas-Morgul is ordered to construct a Military Academy.

1490: Nationalism was discovered, and our researchers work on Steam Power now.

1495: The Cardinal ordered to train all French pikemen to use rifles, thus doubling their defense power and increasing their attack skills by factor 4. 2550 gold coins from the French treasury were spent, and no doubt, they were all but wasted! The French gold has almost ran out. The technology of Metallurgy was sold to all other countries. Persia paid with silks.

1500: Edaron finished the work on Newton's university and was told to construct the Wall street stock exchange. The US city of Philadelphia was reported to have finished Magellan's voyage. Port Baguette at the INI was ambushed by ancient Aztec Warriors. They attacked with stone axes and were, of course, no match for our newly trained Riflemen unit. Without all reason, the Aztec declared war on us! As counterstrike a French Cavalry unit was directed to Tepetlaoxtoc and defeated a Spear chucker unit there.

1505: Awaiting, but not fearing the Aztec assault, de St. Ralph ordered about ten cavalry units to the former Russia, but they may need 15-20 years for the trip. About the same force is awaiting the enemy in former India. We know, that Bismarck has a Right of Passage agreement with the Aztecs. Our strategy is, to let the Aztec army come through Germany to attack us and then drag our former ally Germany in the war by signing a Mutual protection pact. The Aztec army will be stuck and eliminated in Germany. To check the German moods, we signed a Right of Passage agreement with them already this year and Bismarck signed it not hesitating. Our scientists discovered Steam power. We have 3 coal deposits so far, 1 connected and 2 not yet connected. The Greek city of Troy has another 2. It will, no doubt, defect some day to mighty France.

1510: Another Spearman unit killed in Cavalry attack at Tepetlaoxtoc at the INI.

1515: An English poet named Shakespeare finished to build his theater in Saint Ralph. Tepetlaoxtoc has fallen to our Cavalry. We have now 2 cities at the INI.

1520: An Aztec assault force of 2 Knights, a few Spearmen and Jaguar warriors overran our border patrol near Yakutsk, killing an anyway obsolete Swordsman unit. Our Cavalry is not yet there. To hold the city, another Swordsman unit was ordered to backup the Rifleman in Yakutsk. As foreseen, Germany signed a Mutual Protection Pact on the even without making problems, and declared war on the Aztecs. Our border patrols reported German Knights fighting with the main Aztec forces inside Germany.

1525: Our Cavalry arrived in the former Russian province of France, cleaning it from the rest of the treacherous Aztecs.

1530: The second French president, Cardinal de Saint Ralph died and was buried in his old Cathedral in St. Ralph.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip 1530ad.zip (384.1 KB, 7 views)
Old February 13, 2002, 15:54   #191
Harovan
staff

That's it folks. Good luck Fredric Drum!

Shortly:

- I automated (Shift-A) most workers (they are getting boring), so if you don't like that, change it back.

- I would not attack the Aztecs directly (war weariness), although if you want, go ahead. Your forces are waiting in former Russia and India, with a small reserve in the Valley of Kings.

- We discovered Industrialization in the last turn (I forgot to mention it in the summary), don't forget the Universal suffrage, may be after building the first factory somewhere in the center. As for Wonders, the Hoover dam is pretty cool, I suggest to beeline for Electronics.

To all: We haven't a Forbidden palace yet, thoughts? ideas?
Old February 13, 2002, 18:56   #192
FNBrown
Prince

Way to go, Ralph!

I wouldn't worry about the Aztecs... chances are, Bismark will give them fits. I'd keep the MPP for the full 20 turns, and stay at war as long as they do, but keep the tactical strikes against them to a minimum.

As for the Forbidden Palace, I guess we need to decide if we're going to invade overseas or not... if we're going to take Rome or something, we might want to reserve it for overseas... otherwise, we could plant it up north a ways... maybe if we attack the Aztecs? I dunno... Suggestions?
Old February 13, 2002, 20:48   #193
gillskill
Chieftain

FP - as far north as possible, I think.

About the patch - does anyone know if it works with old saved games? Do we all need to update before we go any further?
Old February 13, 2002, 22:04   #194
Giovanni August
Warlord

I think the better thing to do is conquer all of our continent and let the others civilizations kill themselves!
We are the tech leader and i think is time to decide which way to win!
I was thinking of a pacifist like the spaceship or the culture win!
I don't really like the UN-win.... i think is some kind of stupid...
I think not an agressive win because we don't really need to conquer the other continent..... unless they will put us in the middle of one of their wars!

Tell me your ideas

Saluti
Old February 14, 2002, 04:58   #195
Harovan
staff

I think we should abstain from further conquests, leave France like it is and strive for the spaceship. Germany seems to be a comfortable lackey and buffer state, we don't really need more land and it doesn't look like we could get in resource troubles, as we own the living space of 4 civilizations and plenty of almost all terrain types.

Concerning the Forbidden Palace, I would vote for a place in the former India. It doesn't look like we get another leader soon, so it would be great to have a city with a factory there to build it.
Old February 14, 2002, 14:22   #196
FNBrown
Prince

I agree that a war on another continent would be foolish. It would be very expensive, and any cities we capture or settle would be so corrupt they'd be useless.

I would not mind conquering the rest of our continent; but I don't think we should do so unless provoked.

The advantage of placing the Forbidden Palace as far north as possible is that it gives us a shot at winning a few more cities via culture flips. Perhaps going to war with the Aztecs, getting a leader, and taking a city as far into their territory as possible, then rushing the FP there would be a good tactic...

Just my two cents... overall, I'm quite impressed with our collective progress so far.

- Franklin
Old February 15, 2002, 11:44   #197
Major_Tom
Settler

Local Time: 14:06
OK, sorry, I've been sick all week, my sister's been sick all week, and I haven't had time to do anything

Try to fit me back into the running. Thanks.
Old February 15, 2002, 11:50   #198
Harovan
staff

If you are unable to play, it would be nice, if you drop a note and don't let us wait. If Fredric Drum doesn't appear till Feb 16th, I would not mind to let you in as the next, but I am not the keeper of the playlist.

Ideas?
Old February 16, 2002, 00:58   #199
Giovanni August
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by FNBrown
I figured it was time to post the order again... I think this is correct, but please let me know if I've left anyone out, or screwed up the sequence at all...

(top)
[JMarks]
Eddy Eat World
Gillskill
Sir Ralph
Fredric Drum
FNBrown
Giovanni August
(bottom)
Well major Tom!
This is the list! I guess you will probably have to play your turn after me (finally I will not be any more the last of the list)
but you can also jump ahead and play instead of Fredric Drum (that means NOW) since it looks like he is not taking his turn (if FNBrown agrres with that of course)

Ps
Where is JMarks on the list.... he should be the first one, right?

Saluti
Old February 16, 2002, 05:51   #200
Harovan
staff

Our fearless empire founder doesn't participate anymore. Found here.
Old February 16, 2002, 19:36   #201
Giovanni August
Warlord

Oh I see!
We will not have a descendant of the Holy Markavian Dinasty anymore!
I didn't see that messagge (or i just forgot abiut it).

Saluti
Old February 17, 2002, 06:36   #202
Harovan
staff

Now it's your chance to jump in, Major_Tom. Make your 20 turns till Feb 19th and post the savegame and your story here.
Old February 17, 2002, 11:36   #203
Major_Tom
Settler

Well, I should start now before I forget again OK, here goes.
Old February 17, 2002, 12:22   #204
Major_Tom
Settler

You know what? I've decided I will bow out of the running and simply watch France as, uhh, a fan I guess.

I'm sorry, but the turns just seem so long I feel like I'm never going to reach the 20th turn.

Plus I'm really not good at Civ 3 and I've never made it to the Industrial Age. However, as I said, I will stick around, but I probably won't play.

Sorry guys. Hope I didn't disappoint you too much.

Major_Tom (my friends call me Major Idiot)
Old February 17, 2002, 14:04   #205
Harovan
staff

Yes, it's a huge map and turns last long. Can you make at least 10 turns? That would be ok too. And don't worry, as long as you don't backstab the Germans, you can't make much wrong in that game. Just read the suggestions that were made.
Old February 18, 2002, 16:47   #206
FNBrown
Prince

Hmm... and here I was thinking about backstabbing the Germans on my next turn...
Old February 19, 2002, 05:26   #207
Harovan
staff

Alas, seems Major_Tom can't even make 10 turns. I think it's your turn then, FNBrown.
Old February 19, 2002, 14:19   #208
FNBrown
Prince

Ok... I'll download the saved game and try to get my turn in this evening.
Old February 20, 2002, 04:09   #209
FNBrown
Prince

The Reign of Emperor Franklin III

Introduction, Part One

It was a brisk autumn morning in the year 1530 when Reginald Escargot entered the main gate of the great palace on his first day as Captain of the Guard. He had been selected by the Minister of Defense to command the elite company of musketeers that would serve as the personal bodyguards to the Emperor of France.

The fact that France was currently without an emperor did not deter him from feeling a great sense of pride over his new station.

Reginald was waved through the guard station and dismounted his steed at the foot of the steps leading into the main building. He patted the animal affectionately on the neck; the stallion, who he had named “Man ‘O War,” was a spectacular thoroughbred of fine breeding and possessing legendary speed. Reginald made a tidy profit standing him at stud at his ranch north of Edaron in the springtime.

He reported to the Defense Minister Winston Churchill’s office at 8:00 a.m., sharp, just as ordered. Churchill welcomed him in, returned his salute, and then gestured towards the seat in front of his desk.

“Captain Escargot, I’m sending you to London for your first assignment.”

Reginald was a bit taken back. “Sir, I don’t quite follow. I had expected to begin assembling my staff and training my company.”

Churchill furrowed his brow and glared. “Your expectations can be damned. You report to only two people – myself and the emperor. No exceptions. When you are under orders from this office, they supercede all other military authority. This policy has been disbursed throughout the chain of command.”

Still befuddled, Reginald replied, “I meant no insubordination, sir. I was under the impression that I was commanding the palace guard.”

Churchill chuckled. “Palace guard, indeed. Any one of the troops under your command has twice the training and battlefield experience that you do. You were chosen to this post because you were educated, well-connected, and yet, without any significant living relatives; although I am rapidly losing faith in your education. The Emperor’s Guard is that in name only; we have an entire battalion of riflemen in the city to protect our fine capitol. Your unit was formed for special operations that require the immediate attention of myself and the emperor, and are to be undertaken by the most elite military personnel in the world. If you consider yourself more fit to serve as an overpaid guardsman, I suggest you submit your request for transfer to rifle battalion now.”

Reginald shook his head, “No, sir; I’m sure I’m fit for this assignment. I was just unprepared for these orders.”

“You’d better learn to be prepared for anything, Captain. Your job will never be safe nor easy, and your assignments will always be of utmost importance to the Empire of France. We are the world’s largest and most powerful nation, and we paid a heavy price of blood and tears to get here. It is our duty to ensure that we remain mighty; the future of the nation depends upon it.”

Reginald nodded. “Very well, sir. About the London mission…”

Churchill grinned. “You’re to take a small group of cavalry to the city with due haste. Contact Governor Blair and tell him you’re looking for Neville Chamberlain. Bring Chamberlain back to the palace immediately.”

“May I ask why? Mr. Chamberlain will surely inquire as to the nature of his summons.”

“You may tell Mr. Chamberlain that the Empire requires his assistance in locating the Ferus tribe of the Glittering Mountains. You and he will have the rest of your questions answered upon your arrival here. I suggest you hurry to the barracks now. You can make Dover by nightfall if you depart immediately.” Churchill leaned forward and passed a sealed document to Reginald, then took a cigar from the humidor on his desk.

“Will there be anything else, sir?”

Churchill lit the cigar and then replied, “No, you’re dismissed, Captain. Good luck.”
Old February 20, 2002, 06:00   #210
FNBrown
Prince

The Reign of Emperor Franklin III

Introduction - Part Two

Reginald entered the barracks adjacent to the palace. It wasn’t much more than a furnished warehouse, with rows of bunks and lockers along one wall and a few offices along another. The rest of the space was occupied with a few tables and mostly storage of various armaments. There were about a dozen men playing cards at one of the tables, and a few others reading or sleeping in bunks, or working in offices. When one of the men at the card game saw him enter, he jumped to his feet, saluted, and barked, “Ten-Hut!” The rest of the men got up and saluted in similar fashion.

“At ease,” Reginald ordered. “Who’s the senior office here?”

A large, muscular man with a graying crew-cut stepped forward. “That would be me, sir. Master Sergeant Louis Cologne at your service.”

“Sergeant Cologne, I need the four fastest riders we have mounted and ready to leave in ten minutes. We’re only going to London and back, so provisions can be light, but we’re at war, so arm them accordingly. We’ll be taking one extra horse with us.”

“Yes sir. Anything else?”

“That’s all. I’ll be waiting in the courtyard. Carry on”

Sergeant Cologne began giving orders as Reginald turned to leave. By the time he retrieved Man ‘O War from the palace and returned to the yard in front of the barracks, Cologne and three other men were already mounted and waiting.

“Gentleman, we’ll take care of the introductions when we stop at Dover for the night. Keep your eyes peeled for wandering Aztecs. Let’s move.”

The trip to London was uneventful. Reginald and his men arrived at Buckingham Palace at about six in the evening, and demanded to see the Governor immediately. Their orders from Churchill were sufficient to interrupt the Governor’s evening meal as he joined them in his office at the palace.

“What’s this about?” demanded the Governor. The people of London were of almost entirely British descent, and while England had been assimilated by the French Empire many years ago, there was still a great deal of pride amongst the English, and, in Tony Blair’s case, a bit of indignation at having his dinner truncated.

Reginald presented his orders to the Governor. “You are to direct us to the residence of one Neville Chamberlain immediately.”

Blair grunted. “Hmph. That won’t be a problem. Neville and I are well acquainted. But this can wait until the morning. You don’t need to be disturbing the man at this hour.”

Reginald glared. “Mr. Blair, I am here on official and urgent imperial business. I have been authorized to use whatever means I deem necessary to complete my mission with all due haste. That includes replacing you with an official that is more willing to obey the orders of the Empire without such hesitation.”

Blair raised an eyebrow. “Well. There’s no need to get cross about it. I’ll have one of my men take you to his estate right now.”

The Chamberlain estate was a large stone house not far from the center of London, surrounded by several acres of pasture and woods, and bordered by a low stone wall. Reginald knocked on the door and was greeted by a man who looked to be in his late twenties. “Yes? What can I do for you gentlemen?”

Reginald replied. “We’re looking for Neville Chamberlain.”

“That’d be me.”

“Begging your pardon, sir, but I was told to expect an older gentleman.”

“I’m Neville Chamberlain, Junior. My father has been dead for three years.”

Reginald, despite his attempts to follow Churchill’s advice, was not prepared for this. “That is unfortunate. We were sent here to retrieve Mr. Chamberlain so that he may assist us in locating the Ferus Tribe.”

Neville nodded. “Dad talked about them all the time. I always figured he was kind of delusional – said that the ghost of some emperor led him to these barbarians in the mountains, where he brought back the man that ended up being Emperor Franklin the Second. I think all those years he spent in prison kind of screwed him up.”

“Regardless, the Empire believes your father may have been able to find the Ferus Tribe. Perhaps he left a map?” Reginald held his breath.

“Dad kept a whole bunch of journals and papers from those days in a chest in his study. Hang on, and I’ll get it for you.”

Neville returned shortly with a small mahogany box. “I suppose you’ll want to take this with you.”

Reginald nodded. “I’m afraid I’ll have to be taking you with me, too.”

Neville protested. “What for? I don’t know anything about this!”

“Please don’t be difficult. I was ordered to bring Neville Chamberlain of London back to Markopolis, and you’re the only one about that fits the order. This is of critical importance to the Empire, and I suggest you comply.”

It was at this point that Neville noticed the four grim (and well armed) musketeers standing behind Reginald. He excused himself to pack his things, then joined the men on the way out of town.

Sergeant Cologne rode up alongside Reginald as they left the city. “Beggin’ your pardon, sir, but why didn’t we just stay the night in the barracks at London?”

“We can make Nottingham before it’s too late, and if we depart at first light in the morning, we can be back in Markopolis by tomorrow evening.”

“You think that’s wise with the civilian in tow?”

“If it were the old man, I’d take it slow; but our Mr. Chamberlain is young enough to endure a hard day’s ride. He’ll be a little saddle-sore by this time tomorrow, but none the worse for wear. Defense Minister Churchill was quite emphatic about the urgency of this mission.”