Old January 9, 2002, 01:13   #1
justjake73
Prince

Local Time: 14:06
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Glory that is Greece: Pt I
In the year 4000 BC, Athens was founded at the confluence of the Spice and Daedalus rivers. The Daedalus was named after the highest mountain known to the Greeks that was the source of its lifegiving water. The Spice River flowed from the East and had a noticeable taste to it, and when distilled, was an ingredient in a popular semi-alcoholic beverage. Together they formed the Hellenic River. Taken together, the rivers caused the grass to grow almost as tall as a man.

King Alexander I ordered that the strongest young men be brought together, trained in the use of spears, and sent forth to discover what caused the Spice River to taste like it did. Months later, they returned and reported that there were vast forests of spice- rich trees that stood with their roots immersed in boggy ground near the river.

When it was determined that enough people were living in Athens, King Alexander decreed that a new city would be founded to the east of the spice forest, and that a battalion of workers would build a road to bring Spice to the growing empire.

Holding a handful of the spice, Alexander smiled demonically. "Whoever controls the SPICE controls the UNIVERSE! We will DESTROY Duke Leto and House Arrakis!!!!! HAHHAHAHAHA!!!"

His top aide raised an eyebrow quizzically, and said "Baron...I mean, Sire, I think you've had enough Spice for today."

"Yes, I think that is a prudent judgement..." the King answered.

End of Part I
Old January 9, 2002, 02:53   #2
justjake73
Prince

Various Warrior bands, several of them recruited from friendly villages, had explored vast areas of land. Reports coming back to Athens reported vast grasslands to the south with herds of cattle. These herds covered land as far as the eye could see, and were estimated to be in the hundreds of thousands. The cities of Delphi, Knossos and Pharsalos, fed by rich farmland and cattle domesticated from these herds, grew fast.

By the year 2000 BC, the Greeks had heard nothing but rumours of other civilizations. It was believed that they had a large landmass all to themselves, streching from the southern polar regions to desert and subtropical plains.
Old January 9, 2002, 16:22   #3
Richelieu
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 15:06
Beware of the Harkonnen!
Old January 12, 2002, 20:12   #4
justjake73
Prince

By 1000 BC it was concluded beyond any doubt that the Greeks were indeed alone on this large landmass. That made King Alexander happy. Another fact, however, deeply troubled him.

"Demosthenes, you are my most trusted and loyal aide. You state that the Thracians taught us "horseback riding" but oddly enough there are no wild horse herds ANYWHERE on our home - this VAST land??"

"Enough for the Thracians, but not enough to equip even one of our military units. I am sorry, sire." Demosthenes hung his head.

"Do not concern yourself. We will compensate by building crack Hoplites, Swordsmen and Archers." answered Alexander.

"Sire, there is one hope. We hear rumours of other civilizations, and there are vast quantities of Silk in this area here" Demosthenes pointed to a coastal area of Jungle. "I recommend we build a Road and claim this area. Once we do make contact with another people, they are likely to have excess Horses. We can trade the Silk for them."

Alexander shook his head. "In the future, yes, but our galleys have circumnavigated our continent and there is no other land within reach. We must find better nautical technologies to sail into the open sea. Order workers to start bulding the road - hopefully we will have contact before it is complete."

"Yes your Majesty" Demosthenes saluted and left.

It took nearly 700 more years, but the technology of Astronomy was discovered, followed soon by Navigation. The "Silk Road" had been completed and colonies were founded. Fortresses were built and garrisoned to protect their new claim.

Meanwhile, in the southern coastal city of Mycanae...

"Sir, there is a galley on the horizon bearing strange colors and markings. Should we investigate?"

"Yes. They are within our territorial waters. Ask them who they are and to state their business." answered Captain Themosticles.

Some time later, the Greek rowboat came back to the dock. "Sir they call themselves "Japanese." They wish to open diplomatic and trade relations with Greece!"

The Japanese gladly traded their excess Horses for Silk. But new technologies posed new problems.

Alexander pounded his fist on the desk. "First its horses, and no I am told there is no Saltpeter to make this "Gunpowder???!? WHO has some?"

"The French are eager to trade Saltpeter for Silk, sire...."

Alexander sighed deeply. "Very well, but I wanted our new Caravels and Explorers to search the world. There MUST be some unclaimed source SOMEWHERE!!"

Last edited by justjake73; January 12, 2002 at 21:17.