Old January 9, 2002, 11:42   #1
JZ Temple
Settler

Local Time: 14:07
Local Date: October 31, 2010
"We Love The King Day" a waste in capital?
According to the manual:
Quote:
An ongoing We Love the King Day lowers the levels of corruption and waste, makes the city less likely to defect, and significantly increases the chance of failure if your enemies attempt to initiate propaganda here.
Now in my current game, my capital had no corruption to speak of, and since it's my capital it can't defect. The population there is very high, so even with all sorts of luxuries there is one unhappy citizen. If I convert that citizen to a taxman/scientist the capital will be in the mood for a WLTKD, but what might I gain in terms of resources or other benefits?
Old January 9, 2002, 12:04   #2
Duncan Idaho
Settler

Local Time: 20:07
Nothing
As far as I could trace the effects of WLT*D, it only helps to reduce corruption and waste ( Civilopedia states it only reduces waste ) and the chance of defecting. So, no benefits in capital, the city with the Frozen Palace or any city already at peak efficiency.

Last edited by Duncan Idaho; January 9, 2002 at 14:03.
Old January 9, 2002, 13:32   #3
JZ Temple
Settler

Re: Nothing
Quote:
Originally posted by Duncan Idaho
Luxuries don't have effect on unhappy people. They convert content people to happy ones, you need temple, cathedral, mp etc. to make the unhappy ones content first.
Have to disagree with you there. I think this was true in Civ2, but according to the Civ3 manual, bottom of page 63 (my italics):
Quote:
All of the luxuries a city has access to appear in the City Display. Each type makes one content citizen happy or (if there are no content citizens) one unhappy citizen content.
I've recently been thinking about this very aspect, since in cities (on Regent difficulty) I ought to have two content and the rest unhappy pop prior to mods, so after getting (for example) six "content faces" from city improvements I ought to have unhappy folks once I reach population of nine. I was noticing that I wasn't seeing them, so I did some checking and found that the excess happy faces were indeed making unhappy people content. In fact, it appears that luxuries can give a double boost; one luxury happy face makes an unhappy person content, then another happy face makes that newly content person a happy person.

I had been wondering about this since with the marketplace and bank it's possible to generate tons of "happy faces", far more than the "content faces" you can gain from city improvements.

Last edited by JZ Temple; January 9, 2002 at 15:37.
Old January 9, 2002, 14:33   #4
Duncan Idaho
Settler

You're right. I removed the erronous text before I read your reply.

Quote : "As far as I could trace the effects of WLT*D, it only helps to reduce corruption and waste ( Civilopedia states it only reduces waste ) and the chance of defecting. So, no benefits in capital, the city with the Frozen Palace or any city already at peak efficiency."

I was wrong on the first count too Your capital and other efficient cities still produce waste. Reducing waste is a good thing, I suppose, though rarely a priority. And sometimes, sometimes I have corruption in my capital (scandal!) under despotism.

So it's there somewhere.
Old January 9, 2002, 15:40   #5
JZ Temple
Settler

The one other benefit I didn't think of was of course the score. More content and happy people give a better score per turn.
Old January 9, 2002, 16:07   #6
Aqualung
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:07
I have also found that it's reduction of corruption is significant...

I'm not sure how significant. I get the impression that it's better than a courthouse. But I've no proof. In an unmodified game, it nearly doubled the shields a 12 pop city was producing with a Courthouse and Police Station (it went from 4 to 7, with 7 still wasted, but that's a considerable improvement).
Old January 9, 2002, 17:31   #7
Duncan Idaho
Settler

Somehow I think you're not talking about your capital.