Old January 10, 2002, 13:13   #1
GarethDaragon
Settler

Local Time: 19:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
2 ways to be invincible (as the AI)
1) i read a post about this earlier on the bug list for possible fixes, but everyone seemed to ignore the important part, so i was wondering if anyone had a similar problem or a solution???

i am playing a warlord game (yes i'm a newbie) as the germans and i have managed to completely decimate the english holdings. england has no remaining cities, but she does have a single solitary remaining unit. it's a galley, i know where it is, i can easily destroy it with my battleship. one problem... if i destroy the galley, i receive the message that england has been vanquished, and then quite unceremoniously my computer crashes. this has been happening since the early industrial age and i'm now in the modern age. there is NO way to destroy england without crashing my computer. i live in fear of the time the AI decides to declare war on england and wipe her out. will that be the end of the game? anyone with an idea. england and her single galley just declared war on japan (the leading power as of now).... not a good idea.

2) i've heard a lot of complaints about the ancient warrior beating a modern tank or such in a straight up battle. hard to believe, but i don't want to go to into the historical realities (or lack thereof in this situation). i'll believe that every once in awhile a highly trained group of warriors can surprise a tank and take it out.

my problem is this: has anyone else noticed that as part of the predetermined dice roles before a turn, the computer decides that a particular enemy unit is invincible and no matter what you send at it, you are guaranteed a lost.

true story, china had a conscript infantry in my territory. i hit it once with artillery to knock it down to one hp. then i attacked with my army containing 3 elite infantry units. would you believe that my army was vanquished without taking a single hp. NOT HAPPY! so i attacked the unit with three more elite units (2 cavalry and another infantry). they all died or were forced to retreat. NOT COOL!!! and this is not an isolated incident.

any hope of these things being fixed???

thanks from a frustrated newbie
Old January 10, 2002, 13:33   #2
wervdon
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 13:11
Hmmm, You could give england a city, kill the galley, then take the city Maybe that wont crash....
Old January 10, 2002, 13:49   #3
GarethDaragon
Settler

nice idea, i'll try it. thanks...
Old January 10, 2002, 13:58   #4
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 20:11
The game won't crash if you let some other nation sink the galley (at least it didn't when I was in this situation, but it took 200 years for someone to do).

Certain units are not invincible really, but the "random" numbers available to be used for a turn are preset in advance. You can't get a bad result and then reload to get a better one, even if you attack with a different unit. The best you can do is stick 20 cannon on a hill somewhere unimportant and expend unlucky rolls firing at the enemy improvements or a unit you don't care about. Then when the unlucky streak has passed, send in the main assault. It's as close to the old save/reload cheat as you can get.
Old January 10, 2002, 15:07   #5
Zachriel
King

Local Time: 15:11
Infantry units are wicked on defense and poor on offense. Think WWI trench warfare.
Old January 10, 2002, 15:08   #6
Zachriel
King

Local Time: 15:11
Infantry units are wicked on defense and poor on offense. Think WWI trench warfare. Good tactics, though. Just bad luck.
Old January 10, 2002, 15:19   #7
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 12:11
GarethDaragon,
Supposedly your computer crash as you destroy a civ by taking out its settler that's on a ship is fixed with the patch (version 1.16f).
Old January 10, 2002, 15:46   #8
GarethDaragon
Settler

no, it's not fixed in the patch... i'm playing the patched version. i'll try the earlier idea about giving him a town, or just wait for someone else to do the dirty work.

i realize infantry is better on defense, i'm just pointing out that on the basis of any concievalbe statistics a unit with one hp being attacked by 25 hp worth of the same attack is due to lose at least once.