Old September 14, 2000, 03:48   #1
Adm.Naismith
King

Local Time: 01:28
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The Olympic games wonder
I know they are already mentioned in The List, but because of their start in real life, I would like to remember Firaxis to put "Olympic Games" as a wonder.

But now I wonder (I know, bad pun ) if they must add them as an ancient wonder (original Greeks) or a modern one (De Coubertin restart).

Also, in your opinion, which effects they must bring?

Just some suggestion:
- stop any wars with civ who build it, for a game turn every four (old age)
- improve diplomatic relations (modern age) if not during global (every civ on game) war: every civ become a step less bitter/angry
- raise happyness in every city for a turn every four (maybe we can have some negative wave effects, we can switch on a permanent happyness increse)

Oh, I know that four turns aren't equal to four years, it's just a number for the sake of discussion.

BTW, you australian people are enjoing the event or are you suffer for too much hype, traffic, security and the like?

------------------
Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
Old September 14, 2000, 04:16   #2
UltraSonix
King

Local Time: 10:28
How about having a single wonder that is the ancient games, but after reaching a set date, auto converts into the modern games, with all its associated sponsors, drugs, vote-rigging...

But I was also thinking that doesn't the Olympic Games get passed from city to city? So shouldn't different cities in your (and maybe your ally's) empires get the benefits of the Games?

And yeah, now that the Opening Ceremony's about 24hrs away, the media's gone nuts with the Olympics Games. They've already had a soccer (football for all you guys) match, and the media was treating Australia like it had a chance! And they were playing Italy!

------------------
No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards...
Old September 14, 2000, 05:33   #3
The Call of Snapcase

How about an increase in the treasury to go with increased happiness every four turns?

Old September 14, 2000, 08:30   #4
Adm.Naismith
King

UltraSonix
quote:

the media was treating Australia like it had a chance! And they were playing Italy

I know, I'm italian, but I tried to be polite with my Olympic trouble list

Back to Wonder: to be honest I wasn't thinking in term of City Wonder, but as Civ Wonder (effects spread all over the owner Civ).
But you have a good point: if ancient games were a Greeks affair, modern ones are more cross civ.

Maybe we must consider Olympic Games as a "project" that enable every player, when accomplished (as Manhattan or Apollo project in civ2) to gain some benefit.

Hmmm, I have a silly idea: how about a diplomatic agreement to elect next "olympic games city". That city and its civ will gain the benefit (trade, diplomatic plus, etc.); next time you must vote again but for a city of a different Civ.

------------------
Old September 14, 2000, 19:13   #5
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Local Time: 19:28
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Maybe it could give a one-time benifit, and the city which can muster the most shields for it can host it that year. Shields carry forth to the next Olympic.

And the Games should be able to be "rebuilt" every four years.
Old September 14, 2000, 21:00   #6
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 00:28
This sounds more like something the UN Council could 'elect' a state to host, rather than something to be built.
Old September 14, 2000, 22:22   #7
Hannibal3

Actually, the Olympic Games would only POSSIBLY cause passive temperment in the civs. I mean, if there's anything that brings out the hostility in people its sports and nationalism!

The Soviet Union and the U.S. had some pretty tense moments when one beat the pants off the other, and sometimes they just refused to show up. In fact, countries have had wars that had sports as catalysts (Honduras and El Salvador...) but I definitely think the Games are a good idea though.

Also, as we've seen the Olympics are a hot zone for terrorist attacks (or attempted attacks). That might be something. Maybe enemy AI civs are more prone to attack cities that are hosting?

Old September 15, 2000, 03:14   #8
MidKnight Lament
King

quote:

and the media was treating Australia like it had a chance! And they were playing Italy!

Aww, come on. I'll admit to knowing next to nothing about football, but the Aussies put up a real fight. They attacked for the whole game instead of resigning themselves to defending, and they only conceeded a goal with 10 minutes to go due to a silly mistake. Go Aussies! (I can watch any sport with passion if I've got someone to barrack for. - I'll be watching the opening ceremony on TV in about 15 minutes)

- MKL
Old September 15, 2000, 06:19   #9
UltraSonix
King

I've got absolutely nothing to syaing on the topic of the wonder, but I just wanted to say that I'm watching the Opening Ceremony - wasn't all those floating people/fish cool?

------------------
Old September 15, 2000, 14:52   #10
wernazuma

greetings to down-under.
i've never seen such a great performance as today,
especially liked the undersea and the aborigenee parts.
wwooww

Old September 15, 2000, 22:51   #11
MidKnight Lament
King

I was sooooo hoping it wasn't going to be a lame performance, but I was quite happy with it in the end. A pretty good effort.

As a wonder, the Olympics could certainly be used, if the IOC would ever allow it (probably not). It could probably be said that Greece gained some sort of advantage from holding the ancient games. But I'm not sure that it should be a recurring thing like he modern Olympics. Unless there's other recurring wonders like it, then it's probably going to get unneccssarily complex.

- MKL
Old September 16, 2000, 00:40   #12
UltraSonix
King

My idea above of having a modern Olympics wonder that helps bolster random elements of different cities of your civ (and maybe your ally's) every four turn/years is probably the easiest way (though maybe not the best) to implement the wonder.

Anyway, I didn't notice a single kangaroo or koala in the Opening ceremony, which was pleasing - got to get rid of old stereotypes - just look a my sig:

------------------
[This message has been edited by UltraSonix (edited September 16, 2000).]
Old September 16, 2000, 09:39   #13
wernazuma

Well, your athletics threw little cangaroos to the audience.
By the way for all americans: We don't have kangaroos in Austria!

Old September 16, 2000, 18:59   #14
The Kaiser
Chieftain

In order to build the Olympic Games Wonder, a Civ must get the vote from the UN Planetary Council. To win the vote, they must bribe more members than other Civ's.
Old September 17, 2000, 00:04   #15
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Ok, here's an idea. The Olympics should be an ancient wonder - whoever builds them gets some sort of tourism bonus I'd say. But today, Greece still gets benefits from the modern olympics - just as a minor thing, the flame starts there for example. So I'd say, in the modern era, if the games have been built, then the nations can vote to "reform modern Olymics". The country with the wonder then gets an additional bonus to indicate the extra tourism generated by raising public awareness. Also, every four years (turns, whatever), a "Host nation" is chosen, randomly with a probability based on might (perhaps never more than once every so many olympics), and they accrue an even bigger benefit from the hosting of the games themselves - perhaps after an initial outlay. They can decline to host, in which case the games either do not happen, or happen elsewhere.

What sayest thou?
Old September 22, 2000, 05:17   #16
Nick-oh
Settler

With a recuring benefits system like Chowlett's, how do you address the cost of the initial outlay of funds required to secure the Olympics. Sydney spent several hundred million AUS$ (about US$15); on building stadiums; upgrading transport; bribing IOC delegates, before any of the benefits have been felt.

------------------
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
Old September 23, 2000, 18:02   #17
RyanR
Warlord

Local Time: 16:28
wernazuma: you must think your pretty ****ing funny with that... how many Americans have you met anyway? (internet doesn't count.. to many 12 year olds that will tell you that they are 20..)

I guess you guys haven't full gotten rid of you facist past...your "Freedom Party" shows this enough as it is... Your rabid nationalism makes me sick. You prolly based that comment on a bunch of 12 year old Canadians.. but then that wouldn't be as "funny" would it?

Only explanations I can come up with are that you write these comments to make up for some "physical shortcomings", or that you are just jealous of the good parts of the US; faster economic growth rate, largest productivity per person, low unemployment, etc. None of which you'd like to mention.

Also notice that Austria-Australia look almost exactly the same at first glance, and to someone who is dyslexic it will continue to do so with multiple glances.
Old September 25, 2000, 04:07   #18
Adm.Naismith
King

Ehi RyanR, aren't you overreact? I just saw some time ago a strip by Dilbert comics with a similar joke on "Austria not the same of Australia" and AFAIK Dilbert is draw in USA by Scott Adams.

Of course, may be I missed some previus nasty post of wernazuma that already have pissed you, but I really can't see where and why in this thread someone have to mention good or bad things about americans.

Just about olympic games, USA have and had lot of great champions, but the same is true for other countries, isnt'it?

Dear, I can really understand why in CIV diplomatic agreements are so difficult: Sid take fans' forum as example!

------------------
Old September 25, 2000, 16:43   #19
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Local Time: 19:28
I resent that anti-Canadaian 12 year olds remark strongly...

Spamcorder's reading positive.....

Anyhow, let's get back on topic.... So we mentioned a need for both a cash and production cost to building the Olympics, anything else on that?
[This message has been edited by Shadowstrike (edited September 25, 2000).]