Old January 11, 2002, 15:57   #1
BonehoardTaffer
Settler

Local Time: 19:13
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Help!!!!
I want to start by saying that I am a newby to these forums and that I'm a huge fan of RTS/Civilization Building Games. I love all of them for different reasons. My favs thus far are Alpha Centauri, Cossacks:European Wars, and Empire Earth. I just purchased CivIII yesterday and I'm sure I'll love that. My question is should I buy Alien Crossfire? Other than different factions, granted they have some cool perks, does it really add to the game?

Also, are their any plans to do an Alpha Centauri II? Or is Sid just going to keep doing the Civ thing?
Old January 11, 2002, 16:18   #2
bondetamp
Prince

Local Time: 21:13
If you enjoy SMAC, then you'll most likely enjoy it even more with the SMAX expansion. I know I do.

Even if you don't enjoy SMAC you should buy a copy of SMAX if you can find it at a decent price as you can make a killing on E-bay with it.
The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
-H. L. Mencken
Old January 11, 2002, 16:24   #3
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 12:13
I am another fan of the expansion pack. I rarely play vanilla SMAC anymore. Mixing and matching old and new factions is fun, as is some of the new tech, base improvements and SPs. The new Planet life is also a good addition.

Hard to say about SMAC2. I don't think SMAC sold quite as well as Firaxis would have liked. The Civ franchise is a bigger cash cow. Personally, I seriously doubt SMAC2 will ever come out - but I would LOVE to be proved wrong.
Old January 11, 2002, 16:27   #4
bondetamp
Prince

Local Time: 21:13
Hmm, you seem to state that you do in fact enjoy SMAC. In that case, you should get two copies, in case one of them gets scratched as that damned copy protection makes it hard to take a backup.

I've had SMAX since it first came out, and I wouldn't dream of going back to plain vanilla. It is not so much the new factions as a whole load of new base improvements and Secret Projects (such as the game breaking Skybase Academy, which gives you an Airspace complex in every base!), new types of mind worms (this doesn't seem important at first, but they alter the game quite a bit more than one would think. In a good way. ) and generally some extra goodies. The first time you pop a pod to find a batle ogre MK2 inside your enemy's borders will be very special.

I SMAX
The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
-H. L. Mencken
Old January 11, 2002, 22:11   #5
BonehoardTaffer
Settler

Alien Crossfire
Well, now I have another problem. I found a used copy of the game at a local new/used game store. Everything is there except the manual. The CD works fine and all, but I really would like a copy of the manual. Anyone know where I can find one? PDF would be fine. Or if someone could direct me to a better version than the one that came with the game that'd be great too. Thanks.
Old January 12, 2002, 15:03   #6
BonehoardTaffer
Settler

BUMP

I really need a manual or something where I can find the new Techs. So if anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.
Old January 12, 2002, 15:06   #7
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Please read Animal Mother's thread on exactly the same topic.
Old January 12, 2002, 15:15   #8
BonehoardTaffer
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by RedFred
Please read Animal Mother's thread on exactly the same topic.
Red Fred, I saw that thread, thanks. But so far I have been unable to figure out which link Animal Mother was referred to .

Last edited by BonehoardTaffer; January 12, 2002 at 16:17.
Old January 12, 2002, 15:31   #9
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Hmm...It is a leap of faith to assume Animal Mother is a female. But maybe so.

To recap, I know of no way of that you can get your hands on the manual. But, Vel's guide combined with the in-game datalinks combined with a downloadable tech tree will serve you at least as well.

Not sure if you are having trouble finding a link for Vel's strat guide or for a tech tree, but let us know and we can post a link.
Old January 12, 2002, 16:19   #10
BonehoardTaffer
Settler

RedFred,

I finally found them. Thanks for the help. Now, I just need to decide if I want a hardcopy or one that I can read on the computer.
Old January 12, 2002, 18:00   #11
Adalbertus
Prince

Local Time: 20:13
Quote:
Originally posted by RedFred: Hard to say about SMAC2. I don't think SMAC sold quite as well as Firaxis would have liked. The Civ franchise is a bigger cash cow.
You may be right. Most people seem to be attracted more by a historic than a futuristic setting, myself included. I like and play SMAC despite of the SciFi, simply because it is that well made. So, I am already waiting a bit for a Civ 4 (not having yet tried Civ3) which is an advance and not a step back from SMAC. I was excited by Civ2 (coming from Civ1), and seriously disappointed by CTP2, apart from the bugs also by the absence of settlers/formers, and that the AI civilizations simply start with a size 8 city, where I had size 1 (this is the worst way of "balancing" the AI against the human player I could think of).