Old September 28, 2000, 15:41   #1
Dr.Oogkloot
King

Local Time: 00:28
Local Date: October 31, 2010
"Custom" option for AI civs
How about an option to customize the AI civs when starting a new game, just like you can customize your own civ? This way you can play with lots of different non-standard combinations without having to constantly edit rules.txt.
Old September 28, 2000, 16:57   #2
wernazuma

I think Civ3 should give players an "easy tool" to make their custom AI civs and automatically saving the changes to a file (Choose leader, choose character, choose titles, specify default cities).

And of course every created civ should be a possible enemy, not only the first 21 in the list (I always have to rearrange my rules.txt having big problems when I want to continue older save-games).

------------------
Green Go!

Old September 28, 2000, 21:55   #3
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Local Time: 19:28
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Hmm.... this might take a little time, just rip out the rules.txt and edit it.

I'd rather have swapable civ modules. You get a total of 100 civs, but can only use 50 at a time or something like that.
Old September 29, 2000, 00:51   #4
UltraSonix
King

Local Time: 10:28
quote:

This way you can play with lots of different non-standard combinations without having to constantly edit rules.txt.

What's wrong with that? Cause can't you just keep your saves in different dirs, and keep the rules.txt with them. When you need to play, just copy the rules.txt over.

But other than that, the suggestion seems to imply that there would have to be different AIs. We've discussed this before - either there is one AI, which would be the same for all civs (ie a good one), or Firaxis make the AI open source (or at least with some sort of user-modifiable AOE-like scripting language). If the AI becomes open source and changeable then there would need to be a option to select the AI.

------------------
No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary...
Old September 29, 2000, 03:20   #5
Comrade Dan
King

Local Time: 12:28
In that Civ 2 manual, it said that I could select my own portrait. What a ripp.
Old September 29, 2000, 19:45   #6
Dr.Oogkloot
King

Local Time: 00:28
quote:

Originally posted by UltraSonix on 09-29-2000 12:51 AM
What's wrong with that? Cause can't you just keep your saves in different dirs, and keep the rules.txt with them. When you need to play, just copy the rules.txt over.

But you'd need a rules.txt file for every combination you would ever use...(well not every combination because a rules.txt file has 27 civs, but still a very large number)
Old September 29, 2000, 22:02   #7
Theben
Deity

Local Time: 20:28
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Let's not forget the "it's legitimate" mindset. A Firaxis option would allow for options under 'Tournament' rules, while swapping rules.txt would definitely be out.