Old August 9, 2002, 22:32   #781
JamesJKirk
Civilization II PBEM
King

Local Time: 11:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
That's great fritz, I've been meaning to mention the rails in northern France, there's been several occaisions where I've had to stumble around for a few turns
Old August 9, 2002, 22:46   #782
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 05:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I might be able to spare an Engineer or two to work in France now that the Albania-Greece RR is complete.
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old August 10, 2002, 09:00   #783
The ANZAC
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 14:16
Yes, build bypasses in Northern France. I still have yet to get to Lorient with my disgruntled truck drivers. Also, try back in the balkans next year, bypasses will be made hopefully
Also if there are any other places besides Austria and the Balkans that people want bypasses in, notify the Russian authorities and it will be done ASAP
The Russian Transportation Minister was a little angry that day; no offense was meant to the French government
Old August 10, 2002, 09:15   #784
winterfritz
Prince

Local Time: 19:16
Rest assured the French government was not offended; just a little perplexed at the vehemence of the Russian reply. Perhaps said Transportation Minister had been hitting that vodka bottle again...
Old August 12, 2002, 02:52   #785
Cyrion
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 21:16
Turkish News
I'm sooo stupid!!!

I played my turn, and as said my connection is still broken, and I took the wrong save to work this morning!!!

Could you forgive me if I post it tomorrow??

Sorry sorry sorry...

And to France: excellent news regarding the bypasses!! thanks!!
LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464
Old August 13, 2002, 02:46   #786
Cyrion
King

OK, here is, at last, the save...

Not much to comment: freight, improvements, happy citizens...
Attached Files:
File Type: net 1906mar_turk.net (203.7 KB, 1 views)
Old August 17, 2002, 20:37   #787
The ANZAC
King

*Bump* for Kirk
Old August 19, 2002, 18:49   #788
Case
Emperor

Where is Kirk?
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
Old August 20, 2002, 02:16   #789
Cyrion
King

Good question: his last post on the forum was on the 10th of August...
Old August 21, 2002, 12:25   #790
Cyrion
King

Days off
As mentioned on other threads, I'll be away from the 28th of August to the 8th of September, and not able to access a computer! And YES, before you ask, I do deserve my days off !!

So I'll need a sub for the various pbem I'm in for this (short)time! As I would prefer someone I know from other games, here you'll find the list of the pbems I'm in; so if you would be willing to sub for me in one of the game where you aren't already involved, please let me know!!

Anyway, at the rate some of the game are moving, you might even not need to play a turn...

The games are:

Hellas (Corinth)
History (Italy)
Another Age of War (Turkey)
Mongols (Khwarizm)
American Empire (Indians)

Thanks!!
Old August 22, 2002, 01:50   #791
JamesJKirk
Civilization II PBEM
King

Local Time: 11:16
Sorry fellas, I was out of state for the past 10 days or so, anyway, here's the turn, hope it's worth it that nothing happened
Attached Files:
File Type: net uk1906mar.net (203.7 KB, 1 views)
Old August 22, 2002, 11:49   #792
The ANZAC
King

Russian Trade Minister Shoots Himself!

Just today, Yuri Kutzenov was found dead after a self-inflicted gunshot wound. On his suicide note it was written: "I help build up a massive RR structure with bypasses and trade friendly areas out of back-water roads and what do I get from the other European powers? ****!!!!!"

Russia prime minister Anzakov, immediately saddened at the loss of a great Russian industrializer, called among all European nations for European Rail Commission (ERC). This commission would check for RR bypasses and fine any nation 5 gold per turn for a city without a proper way to get around it. Russia would like all the nations to sign on to the ERC so this insanity in trade will stop.

Also Russia would like to note that the French inferiority complex has arisen again, as our trucks are wandering on the back roads between military barricades and dirt cart paths. Russia grows weary of this would like it if Franch authorities would kindly make their trip to Lorient expedient. Thank you.
Attached Files:
File Type: net russia1906may.net (203.7 KB, 1 views)
Old August 22, 2002, 23:12   #793
Case
Emperor

La Reppublica
Italy Welcomes ERC

The Italian government has reacted warmly to the Russian proposal to form a European Rail Commision. Speaking to reporters, President Case said that "Italy has nothing to lose and everything to gain from accepting this proposal. By next month all but one Italian city will have a RR by-pass around it, thereby allowing foreign trade to flow freely through Italy."

However, the President did express some concerns about the Russian proposal "Firstly, who will the fines be payable to? Secondly, the Russians must recognise that it is not practical to extend RRs to every city [the tiny and remote Italian city of Trento for instance) and nations must be allowed to opt these cities out of the RR network. Thirdly, who will oversee compliance with this treaty?"

As the first step, the President has proposed that priority be given to the constuction of improved RR links though France and Germany.
Attached Files:
File Type: net italy1906may.net (203.7 KB, 2 views)
Old August 22, 2002, 23:28   #794
The ANZAC
King

Russia agrees with Italy as to building up the RRs in France and Germany. Also Russia would like to help but is currently occupied with its own RRs.
Old August 23, 2002, 05:21   #795
Cyrion
King

Turkey refuses to sign the ERC as the terrain in Anatolia is much too difficult to think about bypasses for the cities in this area in the near future!

Even if the turkish progress on the way to industrialization and development has been huge in the last years, there still is plenty to do and higher priorities than allowing easy access to this remote places!

That said, Prime Minister Cyrion has the pleasure to inform all his european colleagues that the bypasses allowing access to Istanbul from the Italian railroad have been in place for a long time now...
Old August 23, 2002, 22:24   #796
winterfritz
Prince

Le Monde
Russian-French Relations Strained
The issue by the Russian government of further derogatory and inflammatory remarks into the debate on European trade has drastically strained the relations between her and France. Both French government and people have met these comments with a violent upswell of anti-Russian feeling throughout the country. The Chamber of Deputies was reportedly dominated by a series of angry tirades defending the Third Republic against the unjust accusations of the Russians.

'May I point out,' said the Minister for the Interior in todays assembly of the Chamber, 'that it has been less than two months since the matter of rail-bypasses in Northern France was first brought up by the Russian truck-drivers unions. Though the French government graciously agreed to begin construction on such bypasses immediately, if the Russians imagined that they would have been finished in two months they are fools. And yet they bring up the matter now, a paltry two months after construction has begun, as I said before, and continue to criticise the state of the rail-network in Northern France!'

The Minister for Trade joined the tirade, adding that 'Perhaps the Russian truck-drivers can hole up in one of our delightful Brittany seaside hotels for a few months while we finish those bypasses. But otherwise, if the Russians can't stand the awful, undeveloped and muddy roads of northern France [heavy sarcasm here, which elicited not a few laughs from the Chamber] then we will be more than happy to help those truckers 'stranded' in the Third Republic leave at gunpoint, and enforce a trade embargo against the Russian nation. Certainly we will not miss the cheap Russian goods that no respectable and patriotic Frenchman ever buys anyway.'

The belligerent atmosphere in the Chamber of Deputies - this last comment got a standing ovation and cheers from the assembled ministers - bodes ill for the Russian government, which had best adopt a conciliatory attitude to the French and their 'inferiority complex' if they truly care about the welfare of their precious truck drivers. Its all the same to this editor; we don't need Russia or her dirty trucks cluttering up our countryside and couldn't care less if they never came again. Viva la France!

ERC Proposal Rejected
In the meantime, the French government has rejected Russian proposals for the formation of an international policing body, the ERC, to meddle in the construction of European rail-networks. 'France can construct the rail-bypasses in the north and Germany without the guidance of the other European nations,' stated Premier Winterfritz today in Paris, 'and as a sovereign nation we resent the implication that any such guidance is necessary in the first place.'

At the same time however, French officials have assured the other European nations that the quarrel with Russia and rejection of her proposal will not affect France's trade with other nations. 'The rail-bypasses in the north that sparked this whole debate will be completed, and even if we are forced to bar the Russians from trading with France, other nations' trade with our country will remain unimpeded and indeed welcomed,' concluded the Premier in his Paris address.
Attached Files:
File Type: net france1906may.net (203.8 KB, 2 views)
Old August 23, 2002, 23:02   #797
The ANZAC
King

Moscow Courier
Russian Duma in turmoil!

At hearing the French statement, the Russian Duma immediately agreed to cease its bashing. However they did not rule out putting tariffs, import fees, or embargoes on French goods after the Russian trucks have reached there destination. Russian Senator Klimenti Tupolev shouted, "If France touches our beloved truckers they shall have the barrels of our warships in their faces!"
However Senator Georgi Saratev countered, "We must treat other countries with respect, as with France...but...what the heck, if they attack us we will demolish them!"

Also the Duma proposed that nations in the ERC who conduct themselves in a manner agreeable with ERC regulations, should have non-taxable trading, with ERC countries could tax non-ERC countries going into their territory.

So far Russia and Italy have been receptive to the implementation of an ERC
Old August 24, 2002, 01:32   #798
Case
Emperor

Italian Foreign Ministry Statement
Responce to French Protests over ERC

The Italian Government is deeply concerned about the argument which has erupted between the nations of France and Russia. In particular, the Italian government is surprised and shocked by the behavior of the French parliament.

The Italian government calls upon the French government to cease its' over-reaction to Russia's quite modest proposal and to enter into the proposed ERC so that all European nations can bask in the benefits of free trade.

As a compromise, Italy proposes that all signatories to the ERC be given two years to construct the necessary RRs before punishments are brought into force. This will provide ample time to construct the necessary RR tracks and prepare our domestic economies for international competition.

Furthermore, the Italian government reminds France that her past record on RR construction is less then perfect. Indeed, according to maps prepared by the Italian department of railroads, the only substancial RR construction which has taken place in France over the last 5 years was conducted by Italian army engineers!

Should France be suffering from a shortage of these skilled workers, the Italian government is willing to rent the services of several regiments of the Italian Army's huge corps of engineers (the corps has recently raised its' 18th regiment!).

Responce to Russian Threats

The Russian government is reminded that France is allied with Britain and Italy. As such, any Russian military attack on France will be regarded as an attack on Italy.

Italy has no opinion on the threatened Russian embargo of France other then to remind the Russian Premier of the existance of direct rail links between Belgrade and all Italian cities
Old August 24, 2002, 09:44   #799
The ANZAC
King

Moscow Courier
Russia would like to state that we would only attack France if she attacks any of our trade convoys first. Then it would be hoped that her allies would not side with her for something she initiated.

Also the Russian Duma proposes that when the ERC is set up, trade between ERC nations should be tariff-free while non-ERC goods going into the ERC can be taxed by the respective memembers.
Old August 26, 2002, 08:25   #800
Cyrion
King

After having heard that Italy wanted to join the ERC, Prime Minister Cyrion was a bit worried and sent a letter to the head of the Italian Government! The content of the letter is resumed below:

"My Dear Friend, we have been working together for years to develop the railways between our countries! Together, we built the bypasses around our respective cities, so that we both could trade freely and easily between Roma and Istanbul, for our mutual benefit!

And now, we hear that you are willing to join a league that wants to TAX our goods only because, for priority reasons, we don't want to join the afore-mentionned league??

Please, tell us that we are mistaken and that it is not you intent to tax our freight to and through your country. After all, weren't we among the first to start building a common rail network, long years before others started to speak about punishing those not doing it??

Prime Minister Cyrion"
Old August 26, 2002, 09:29   #801
The ANZAC
King

Also, we could use a tariff system based on the one in the other AoW thread
Old August 26, 2002, 20:57   #802
Case
Emperor

The Italian government is surprised by the Turkish Government's stance on the proposed ERC. Speaking to the media, the Italian Minister for Transport said "I invite the Turkish government to review our proposed amendments to the ERC treaty. Under these amendments member nations will have two years to build the necessary by-passes and will be able to exempt small or hard to reach cities from the scheme. As such, the proposed ERC is no threat to Turkey, and will provide a usefull mechanism for expanding Turkish trade"

The Minister then added that the Italian government has no intention to ever institute any tarriffs or tolls on foreign goods traveling to or through Italy. Indeed, at present the government is examining a scheme to subsidise foreign traders who open up new trade routes to Italian cities.

edits: fixed spelling

Last edited by Case; August 27, 2002 at 08:57.
Old August 27, 2002, 07:08   #803
Cyrion
King

So that's it, I'm off for a few days, Darius will play my turn in between: I PMed my password and instructions!

I'll be back on the 7th of September!
Old August 27, 2002, 09:57   #804
The ANZAC
King

Russia would like to remind Italy that if non-ERC nations are not taxed, then there is no incentive to join it. But whatever the outcome, whether free trade or tariffs, the ERC should be established.
Old August 28, 2002, 04:26   #805
winterfritz
Prince

France is still unwilling to join the proposed ERC. We resent any attempt by other nations to interfere with our own internal affairs and government.

A large amount of foreign trade is not a necessity for our well industrialized and self-sufficient nation. Such trade is a luxury only and thus the main raison d'etre for the rail-bypasses already under construction in our north and in Germany is the foreign demand for them.

We have acquised to these demands out of our own free will and helpful nature, not out of any overriding need for rail-bypasses on the part of the French people. So naturally we are unhappy when ungrateful nations throw our kindness back in our face with biting criticism, and propose to infringe on our sovereign rights of self-government with the creation of some meddling policing body.

Rail bypasses are currently under construction in the north of France and in Germany. They will be built. If they really want to, Italian engineers are free to help out in these areas. France does not see anything further that needs to be discussed on this matter, and if ingrate politicians in greedier nations than ours continue to raise a ruckus over this non-issue, they had best be warned that even French patience has its limits, and our generous offer to construct these non-essential bypasses can still be withdrawn.
Old August 28, 2002, 06:02   #806
Case
Emperor

So be it then. Italy is willing to sign a rail agreement with Russia and will hope that the other nations of Europe will come to their sences and join our agreement.
Old August 28, 2002, 10:08   #807
The ANZAC
King

ERC signed by Russia and Italy

Today in Vienna, Russian and Italian envoys signed the ERC treaty. Hopefully there will be much cooperation between the two powers in trying to make a reliable rail system. Also Russia hopes that more nations will sign on to the ERC.
Old August 28, 2002, 23:14   #808
The ANZAC
King

*bump for Cyrion* I think he is away, but what the heck
Old August 29, 2002, 00:54   #809
Case
Emperor

I guess it's *bump* for Darius then
Old August 29, 2002, 02:04   #810
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Thanks for the PM, I never would have come.

No news, and the thread is too damn long to figure out the diplomacy, so I'll just follow instructions.
Attached Files:
File Type: net turkey_may_1906.net (204.1 KB, 1 views)