Old October 16, 2002, 18:59   #871
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 05:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Italian Foreign Ministry Statement
Destroyer Squadron to Remain in Black Sea

Italy will not be threatened into abandoning it's important presence in the Black Sea.

The 5th Destroyer squadron is crewed by unmarried volunteers who have willingly accepted the risks associated with operating on Russia's doorstep. The sole task of this squadron is to keep an eye on Russian movements in the Istanbul area so that the combined British-French-Italian fleet in the Agean may have warning of hostile Russian actions.

We call upon Russia to come to her sences and recognise that a single destroyer squadron [unit] is no threat to her mighty Black Sea fleet.

However, should Russia persist on this insane course, Italy will press for the Med. to be declared off limits to Russian shipping, and all Russian ships currently operating in the Med. will be hunted down and destroyed.

As a compramise position, Italy is happy for a Russian destroyer squadron to operate outside the entrance to the Dardenelles so that Russia may monitor the movements of the British-French-Italian Fleet.
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old October 16, 2002, 21:47   #872
The ANZAC
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 14:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Moscow Courier
Italian-Russian Meeting Concluded!

After a very brief meeting in a cafe in downtown Moscow, Russia allows Italy to keep her destroyer of the Bosporus. "Russia only wants to be able to keep control over her territorial waters and ensure no threats come too closely. However an Italian observer destroyer is no threat, but we just needed to give confirmation so we don't have an enemy at the gates ," as Foreign Minister Tupolev was quoted today at a press conference.

Also FM Tupolev stresses the urgency of a French response: "In goodwill and good faith we have released the French freight. As a reciprocation, we ask France to do the same so we may avert a major crisis."
Old October 17, 2002, 02:53   #873
Cyrion
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 21:16
Turkish News
NO foreign ship is allowed to block Bosporus, which is, as everybody knows, Turkish territorial water!

And no foreign ship is allowed to "operate" in the Dardanelles : We are happy to let your ships cross (cross, and not operate!) the Dardanelles if we are warned before, BUT you should never forget those water are ours!

So we hope we won't ever hear again things like "blocking the Bosporus".

We are a peaceful nation and want to cooperate, BUT we won't let anybody behave as if we didn't exist!

About the presence of Foreign Ships in the Black Sea: I can understand the problem this could present to Russia, so I propose that BOTH Russia and Turkey (the Black Sea being Turkish as well as Russian) can veto the presence of a foreign ship in the Black Sea, EXCEPT in Russia and Turkey Territorial Waters (i.e. 2 squares off the coast) which are under the sole responsability of the concerned nation!
LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464

Last edited by Cyrion; October 17, 2002 at 03:03.
Old October 17, 2002, 18:53   #874
The ANZAC
King

Re: Turkish News
Quote:
Originally posted by Cyrion

And no foreign ship is allowed to "operate" in the Dardanelles : We are happy to let your ships cross (cross, and not operate!) the Dardanelles if we are warned before, BUT you should never forget those water are ours!

About the presence of Foreign Ships in the Black Sea: I can understand the problem this could present to Russia, so I propose that BOTH Russia and Turkey (the Black Sea being Turkish as well as Russian) can veto the presence of a foreign ship in the Black Sea, EXCEPT in Russia and Turkey Territorial Waters (i.e. 2 squares off the coast) which are under the sole responsability of the concerned nation!
Agreed.

Quote:
NO foreign ship is allowed to block Bosporus, which is, as everybody knows, Turkish territorial water!
This is an exception. Russian Destroyers would stay on the Black Sea side of the Bosporus, not the Sea of Marmara side. And we'd hope Turkey would accept as a destroyer cannot bombard shore tragets and thus would be no threat to Istanbul.
Old October 20, 2002, 10:59   #875
The ANZAC
King

Bump for winterfritz
Old October 20, 2002, 18:54   #876
Case
Emperor

I sent him an email about a week ago offering to sub for him. I think that he's got major exams on at the moment.
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
Old October 24, 2002, 18:55   #877
The ANZAC
King

So what do we do...?
Old October 24, 2002, 20:07   #878
Case
Emperor

Wait for him to finish his exams. I think that they should be over in a couple of weeks...
Seeing as Fritz started this game and has always played his turns promptly, I don't have a problem waiting.
Old October 24, 2002, 20:26   #879
The ANZAC
King

OK fine then
Old October 24, 2002, 20:39   #880
JamesJKirk
Civilization II PBEM
King

Local Time: 11:16
Ditto, I don't really have a problem either
Old October 25, 2002, 03:59   #881
Cyrion
King

Yes, let's wait!
Old October 25, 2002, 14:48   #882
Cyrion
King

Information...
This post just to inform you that I won't have much online connection (or even access to CIV ) from the 28 of October to the 22 of November: like every male swiss citizen, I have to spend some time in the army every year, and that will be at that time!

And before you ask, no, I don't like it at all, but by chance I was able to arrange things so that I'll have a few days off every week...

So I'll have access to the web every 3 days (or nearly) in the next month! This shouldn't be a problem and delaying the game, but in the worst case I might need 72 hours to play my turn, so no need to bump me...

I hope you don't mind...
Old October 25, 2002, 19:28   #883
Case
Emperor

No worries.

BTW, I read a while ago that Switzerland was thinking of phasing out universal conscription - is this true?
Old October 26, 2002, 03:31   #884
Cyrion
King

Sadly, no, this won't happen in the next 10 years (or even more! the inertia of the government is amazing...).

But they are reforming it right now and I really hope it's the last time I need to go, due to my "old age"...
Old November 11, 2002, 00:55   #885
Case
Emperor

I got an email from Fritz today in which he said that he'd be back "in a few days"
Old November 11, 2002, 21:06   #886
winterfritz
Prince

Local Time: 19:16
Premier Winterfritz returns from IndoChina
Stepping off a cruise liner in Marseille today, the popular Premier outlined a fantastic story to the waiting crowd.

Around a month earlier, the Premier had disappeared into thin air, to the confusion of the Chamber of Deputies and the entire French population. The government during this period consisted of little more then ineffective dallying, whilst everyone tried to discover: where on earth was Premier Winterfritz?

Now he has revealed that, whilst on an inspection tour of France's South-East Asian colonies, he was tragically kidnapped by pirates in the South China Sea. Taken to a terrifying pirate stronghold on the coast of Vietnam known only as the 'Examination Room', Winterfritz was locked in a tiny cell and periodically asked esoteric questions about applied physics, higher mathematics and English literature (not even French!) by the mysterious pirate chief calling himelf 'the examiner'.

Finally, the valiant Premier won his freedom by correctly guessing the answers and, in a series of thrilling adventures, made his way back to Marseille with a chest full of gold doubloons.

He concluded his story by saying he was looking forward to resuming his real job as French premier, and then proceeded to cash in the doubloons. The resulting windfall was donated to the French treasury, after the premier had an entire suit made of 100-franc notes to complement President Case's pants at official international functions.
Old November 11, 2002, 21:14   #887
winterfritz
Prince

OOC: Much thanks all for bearing with me through this inactive period, and a big apology for all the inconvenience caused by the delay (in this and my other pbems).

Although not completely finished with exams yet, I've done enough so that my future career will not be destroyed by an hour on the 'net here and there
Old November 11, 2002, 21:41   #888
winterfritz
Prince

Le Monde
Russian Freight Free to Trade
In a dramatic change of policy the French government has re-extended the hand of friendship to their estranged neighbours, the Russians.

The Premier stated that his recent involuntary stay at the hands of the fearsome South China Sea pirates made all the quarrels and diplomatic battles of Europe seem 'rather petty.' And so on re-entering Paris to the applause of its population - and indeed, the population of all France - the Premier ordered the release of the Russian traders interned on the northern coast. These traders are under no obligation to leave French territory and can trade wherever they wish.

Construction of the rail-bypasses in Northern France and French Germany has also been given a higher priority than previously, with the result that many new bypasses have appeared just this month. The Russian traders in particular are encouraged to 'give them a go', and and comments/criticism of the network will be welcomed in the French Ministry of Transport and Trade. Any nation desiring a rail bypass of a particular city should apply to this office in Paris, which will now be obliged to try and fulfill these requests to the best of its ability.

Prosperous France enters Golden Age under Winterfritz
This new and friendlier foreign policy has been welcomed by almost everyone in France (apart from the few firebrand Russian-haters in the Chamber of Deputies, who were responsible for the previous diplomatic crises). It is more fitting with the general mood of the country, which is soaring to giddy heights of euphoria as the nation continues to reap the profits of Premier Winterfritz's wise economic policy. An economic survey declared these last five years those with the highest industrial growth rate in all of France's history, and heaped the popular premier with honorary titles including 'Winterfritz Augustus Caesar' and 'Winterfritz da bomb'.
Attached Files:
File Type: net france1906nov.net (204.7 KB, 3 views)
Old November 11, 2002, 21:48   #889
JamesJKirk
Civilization II PBEM
King

Glad to have you back, fritz, now don't forget about your 1870 game either
Old November 14, 2002, 05:50   #890
Cyrion
King

Welcome back Winterfritz!

I'll try to play tonight
Old November 14, 2002, 19:10   #891
The ANZAC
King

Russia is glad war has been averted. The french freight is free to go into Russia, barring some blockage while RRs are being finished in the balkans.

OOC: Good to have you back Is everyone ready for germany to come back?
Old November 14, 2002, 21:33   #892
Case
Emperor

yep
Old November 15, 2002, 04:57   #893
Cyrion
King

Small delay...
Sorry guys, I wasn't able to play yesterday (RL...)!

I'll play tomorrow morning...
Old November 15, 2002, 15:27   #894
JamesJKirk
Civilization II PBEM
King

So on whose turn does the date change?
Old November 16, 2002, 03:30   #895
Cyrion
King

I'm currently playing my turn BUT I need an explanation before I finish it...

What is the Russian Navy doing blockading Istanbul?? And with Armored Cruisers??

This looks like an extremely offensive position to me! And the Czar has no right to deny access to the Black Sea to the Turkish Democracy, as well as to stay (crossing being OK) in Turkish national waters!

And the Battleship near Beirut worries me too...

So please explain...

Last edited by Cyrion; November 16, 2002 at 03:40.
Old November 16, 2002, 20:52   #896
The ANZAC
King

Russia already asked Turkey for permission for the movement of the ships for her own devices. The need for these ships to go through the Straits has ended and thus the ships were going be withdrawn anyway.
As for the ship by Beirut, this was placed there for safe keeping but will be withdrawn at the request of Turkey.

OOC: the date changes on my turn, so the French move should be ok, or any time that year. I'm not sure exactly how to restore Germany, but if you tell me, I'd be glad to do it
Old November 17, 2002, 10:46   #897
Cyrion
King

Some trade and infrasctructure building going on...

And to Russia: ok, no problem, I just found a bit strange that the way you stopped your ships, they are blocking any access to the Black Sea, even through Istanbul...

And the save:
Attached Files:
File Type: net turk_1906nov.net (204.8 KB, 2 views)
Old November 17, 2002, 11:01   #898
The ANZAC
King

Russia was trying to move the ships to their fullest extent and it happened that they ended blokcing the straits and around Istanbul. No harm was intended
Old November 21, 2002, 18:11   #899
The ANZAC
King

*BUMP*
Old November 21, 2002, 21:51   #900
Case
Emperor

Kirk, I'm on MSN right now (as arranged!)