Old January 14, 2002, 05:59   #31
Expatriate
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:18
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
Europa Universalis.

Here's another. Space Empires 4. Also widely and publically supported by its developers.

And then we have Poly. Gee...
Gee, I wonder why the EU2 forums are so clean.....

Could it be because they are on the publishers own site and moderated by the very employees responsible for the game?

Here is a little copy of a post by the moderator:

"There is a thread in the FAQ Forum that gives a general guidline to posting
Please take the time and trouble to read it. Please bear it in mind when posting.
The Forum is for the enjoyment of all and not just a few - please treat it as such and do not spoil it for anyone else.
We have lost a few transgressors in the last few days. They would not listen to reason and have now departed these Forums with abuse reports sent to their ISPs to help them on their way.
Now lets get back to normal - lol, whatever normal is! "

So they are banning people and reporting them to their ISPs for "abuse". Maybe everything isnt so happy in "happyland" after all?

Space Empires4 forums are coincidentaly also hosted by the publisher! I am starting to see a pattern here.....
Old January 14, 2002, 15:27   #32
Havard
Warlord

Quote:
Gee, I wonder why the EU2 forums are so clean.....

Could it be because they are on the publishers own site and moderated by the very employees responsible for the game?
FYI allmost all of the moderators at the EUs forums are fans (like me). I have no other bound to Paradox than the fact that I like the EU games. For the EU2 forums I believe only the wish-list forum is moderated by Paradox emplyees...
Old January 14, 2002, 16:26   #33
Qilue
King

Local Time: 05:18
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Harvard

So unless you toe the company line and only post nice things about the game, you get banned and reported for 'abuse' by the chief asskissers...er moderators, is that correct?
Old January 14, 2002, 16:34   #34
Expatriate
Chieftain

Allow me to quote the moderator from the EU2 boards again:

Quote:
"There is a thread in the FAQ Forum that gives a general guidline to posting
Please take the time and trouble to read it. Please bear it in mind when posting.
The Forum is for the enjoyment of all and not just a few - please treat it as such and do not spoil it for anyone else.
We have lost a few transgressors in the last few days. They would not listen to reason and have now departed these Forums with abuse reports sent to their ISPs to help them on their way.
Now lets get back to normal - lol, whatever normal is! "
Its very unusual to need to ban several users and report them to their ISP in just a few days. I dont know of any other boards that report to the users ISP's as a standard procedure, and very few boards need to kick several users in a few days.

Ok, so I was wrong about the moderators being employees working on EU2. But they were still picked by the publisher and cant really be considered impartial.

Conclusion: The EU2 boards would have just as much whining as we see here if they allowed it. And meanwhile, I am still waiting for that utopian online game community where the "fans" dont whine even though they are allowed to do so.
Old January 14, 2002, 16:51   #35
Qilue
King

Local Time: 05:18
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The Planet Baldus Gate forums are almost utopian.

'Almost' because whining does occur and flame wars can erupt, although those are usually put out once the mods had decided enough was enough. But such things are generally kept confined to a single thread.
Old January 14, 2002, 17:13   #36
Havard
Warlord

Qilue:
Quote:
So unless you toe the company line and only post nice things about the game, you get banned and reported for 'abuse' by the chief asskissers...er moderators, is that correct?
You are perfectly welcome to post constructive criticism. (and maybe a little whining too ). Noone is getting banned for criticising the game (where did you get that idea?)

Expatriate:
Quote:
Its very unusual to need to ban several users and report them to their ISP in just a few days. I dont know of any other boards that report to the users ISP's as a standard procedure, and very few boards need to kick several users in a few days.
It is not "standard procedure" to report users to their ISPs. This might be done e.g. in the same cases where you would send abuse-reports on usenet i.e. serious spamming, racist postings etc. Are these things allowed here?

Quote:
Ok, so I was wrong about the moderators being employees working on EU2. But they were still picked by the publisher and cant really be considered impartial.
I just wanted to comment on the fact that your original message had the facts wrong. I don't say I don't like the game - after all I spend some time on the forum... This does not mean that I like everything they do or have done to EU2. Thankfully Paradox are very good listeners when it come to suggestions from the fans

Quote:
Conclusion: The EU2 boards would have just as much whining as we see here if they allowed it. And meanwhile, I am still waiting for that utopian online game community where the "fans" dont whine even though they are allowed to do so.
Whining is still allowed, but most people get tired after a while, and the ones that like the game stay. If not you move on...

I'm not saying the forum is perfect, but most of the members claim it to be a nice and friendly forum, and hence they tend to stay...
Old January 14, 2002, 18:20   #37
zoyd
Settler

Local Time: 19:18
Meeting expectations...

No game can live up to the hype created by the fans themselves.

Uh, look at GTA3. Surpassed all hype.

Old January 14, 2002, 20:20   #38
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 15:18
Quote:
Conclusion: The EU2 boards would have just as much whining as we see here if they allowed it.
What a silly statement. When the last patch came out with all kinds of problems, you'd better believe there was a lot of whining. Were any of those people banned? NO.

But the whining quickly stopped. How? The developers themselves made a very public apology and asked people to stick it out with them until they got the problems resolved.

Gee, am I seeing a pattern in what Firaxis is NOT doing? This is a whining infested board and Civ3 is a bug infested game because of Firaxis itself. End of Story. Period.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old January 24, 2002, 07:05   #39
CharlesUFarley
Prince

Local Time: 11:18
Quote:
Originally posted by ****gyRA
It's just normal human psychology for people to jump on the bandwagon, especially if it is something negative. You see a lot of that here and in other forums. Your point is well taken.

BTW Yolky, it's not hype, it's marketing. I believe they delivered on all their promises.
Your absolutely right Sh_RA, the fans actually having (oh god) reasons for hating the game thats rediculous! And IMO they did not deliver, but I guess it takes more to impress me than it does you.

Charles.
Old January 24, 2002, 15:49   #40
Ironikinit
Prince

Local Time: 14:18
You keep saying that people who like Civ III are easily impressed, Charles. That's annoying, especially coming from someone who doesn't know the difference between "your" and "you're" and can't spell "ridiculous". You're not so smart, give it up.
Old January 24, 2002, 16:00   #41
prince_aki
Settler

EVERY ensemble board of the heaven games network. Check out www.ageofkings.com. Also, see Empire Earth(not ensemble) and AOM boards.
Old January 24, 2002, 16:02   #42
Libertarian
King

Quote:
You keep saying that people who like Civ III are easily impressed, Charles. That's annoying, especially coming from someone who doesn't know the difference between "your" and "you're" and can't spell "ridiculous". You're not so smart, give it up.
Non sequitur.
Old January 24, 2002, 16:07   #43
CharlesUFarley
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Ironikinit
Well it may impress you mr IronKnitter but it sure doesn't impress me, clearly that could mean only one thing in the realm of common sense - easily impressed. And you and my 8th grade english teacher should get together, you both have so much in common, although your mouth is wider than your eyes I'm sure it would do her some good, I hope you like older women.

PS. Next time, make some sense or a point that bares meaning to the subject rather than mouthing off like a 8th grade teenager and revealing yourself as a little detracting fanboy troll. OR fine something more productive to do with your time rather than burn it by attempting to look "intelligent" but in the end looking really stupid - your just like the rest of them.

" NEXT "

Charles.
Old January 24, 2002, 16:13   #44
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Would there be less whining if this forum was run by Firaxis? Both Yin's links were the games developer's sites.
I challenge you to find a fansite...

[not that I really give a damn either way, you all make me laugh]
Old January 24, 2002, 16:20   #45
ACooper
Prince

Local Time: 13:18
Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
Would there be less whining if this forum was run by Firaxis? Both Yin's links were the games developer's sites.
I challenge you to find a fansite...

[not that I really give a damn either way, you all make me laugh]
I.W.s point is well taken.
Old January 24, 2002, 16:26   #46
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

On all most all forums for games people do complain about things they do not like in the game. But I must say that the number of complaints I have seen here far out number any complaints I have seen on other forums for other various games. Most of the time the devolpers take the time to adress the complaints the people have and after that the complaints subside. But on this thread when ever anyone has a complaint we rarely see any response from the people at firaxis, thus people complain even more and more. I think why we see so many complaints on this site is the fact no one at firaxis ever address any of these complaints. It all comes down to the fact that they just dont want to give out any information because they dont want to build people's hopes up and then hear even more complaints, but with other games the devolopers often adress concerns and complaints and do give out some information on what they are planning to do, and if they cant do what they planned to do they tell everyone they could not do it. They dont keep their mouths shut and let the fans find it out on their own when they buy the game and then get mad because they fell they were mislead and lied too.
Old January 24, 2002, 17:51   #47
Ironikinit
Prince

Hey Charles, tell us all again about how Firaxis paid off all the reviewers to give Civ III good reviews. It just sounds so plausible when it comes from a smart guy like you.

YOUR <> YOU'RE.

Dumbass. I don't normally correct anybody's spelling or grammar (unlike, say, Lib) but when some dipstick is going around with a superior attitude yet can't even figure out how to use a spellchecker, I'll point it out. You, sir, are a fool. Not because you can't spell, but because YOU'RE stupid and pretend otherwise.
Old January 24, 2002, 17:57   #48
Libertarian
King

Quote:
I don't normally correct...
Agreed. You tend to correct in a rather odd manner.
Old January 24, 2002, 17:58   #49
ACooper
Prince

Local Time: 13:18
Quote:
Originally posted by Libertarian

Agreed. You tend to correct in a rather odd manner.
but correctly.
Old January 24, 2002, 18:03   #50
SixArmedMan
Prince

Quote:
Dumbass. I don't normally correct anybody's spelling or grammar (unlike, say, Lib) but when some dipstick is going around with a superior attitude yet can't even figure out how to use a spellchecker, I'll point it out. You, sir, are a fool. Not because you can't spell, but because YOU'RE stupid and pretend otherwise.
Okay, meaningful discussion is great and stuff but when you see tripe like this posted on a message board, you know someone's simply going too far.

Ironikinit, a subtle personal attack on someone is tolerable. A flat out rant like that does a disservice to yourself and this message board.

And when it gets right down to it, correcting someone's typoes or grammar is just beyond petty.
Old January 24, 2002, 18:10   #51
Raion
Prince

Local Time: 19:18
Because, Sid Meier's Sim Golf is out now, in the stores.
And the fans would buy the game, CiVIII, anyway, and then its probably back to uppatching the game, and then there's Microsoft's new OS, that Microsoft says is compatible, but then that is what they also say!

Sim Golf:
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...841699,00.html

Anyway, it all takes time, and how long would multiplayer last, if it is slow, or major changes done to the game to accomodate multi-player.

I think it was put out because it was the 10th anniversery edition, and then they are just plain busy, and continue to work.
Easy to complain, harder to do it all, in one fell swoop!
Old January 24, 2002, 18:13   #52
Libertarian
King

Quote:
Okay, meaningful discussion is great and stuff but when you see tripe like this posted on a message board, you know someone's simply going too far.
My guess is that they're becoming more and more upset that they have to carry the burden of PR for this game.
Old January 24, 2002, 18:34   #53
CharlesUFarley
Prince

Quote:
Hey Charles, tell us all again about how Firaxis paid off all the reviewers to give Civ III good reviews. It just sounds so plausible when it comes from a smart guy like you.

YOUR <> YOU'RE.

Whoops! guess I hit a soft spot. And without the luxury of proof which thou no longer requires, as he tumbles down the mountainside hitting an occasional thorn bush on the way down screaming " I .... will.......return.............."

Charles.
Old January 24, 2002, 18:37   #54
CharlesUFarley
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by SixArmedMan

Ironikinit, a subtle personal attack on someone is tolerable. A flat out rant like that does a disservice to yourself and this message board.

And when it gets right down to it, correcting someone's typoes or grammar is just beyond petty.
He can't help it, he mentioned something about a disorder, after he was dropped on his head at an early age.

(Sorry .. couldn't resist)

Charles.
Old January 24, 2002, 18:46   #55
CharlesUFarley
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack_www
On all most all forums for games people do complain about things they do not like in the game. But I must say that the number of complaints I have seen here far out number any complaints I have seen on other forums for other various games. Most of the time the devolpers take the time to adress the complaints the people have and after that the complaints subside. But on this thread when ever anyone has a complaint we rarely see any response from the people at firaxis, thus people complain even more and more. I think why we see so many complaints on this site is the fact no one at firaxis ever address any of these complaints. It all comes down to the fact that they just dont want to give out any information because they dont want to build people's hopes up and then hear even more complaints, but with other games the devolopers often adress concerns and complaints and do give out some information on what they are planning to do, and if they cant do what they planned to do they tell everyone they could not do it. They dont keep their mouths shut and let the fans find it out on their own when they buy the game and then get mad because they fell they were mislead and lied too.
EXACTLY!

Charles.
Old January 24, 2002, 19:15   #56
Ironikinit
Prince

OK, let me get this straight.

People don't mind Charles around here? They don't mind being patronized by a fool? Y'all don't mind posts like the above which quotes an entire post (FROM THE SAME FREAKING THREAD) and adding only one word, an inane symbol, and a signature?

Well, hey, if that's what y'all like, that's your lookout. I think he's a fool and deserves to be told so. Is he like a mascot or something? Honest, I'm just trying to figure out why such a twit is tolerated. IMO he deserves the intellectual equivilent of tarring and feathering, followed by being ridden on a rail. There really must be standards.
Old January 24, 2002, 19:18   #57
SixArmedMan
Prince

Okay, I guess that's something I really can't argue against.
Old January 24, 2002, 19:47   #58
Kilroy_Alpha
Warlord

Quote:
OK, let me get this straight.

People don't mind Charles around here? They don't mind being patronized by a fool? Y'all don't mind posts like the above which quotes an entire post (FROM THE SAME FREAKING THREAD) and adding only one word, an inane symbol, and a signature?

Well, hey, if that's what y'all like, that's your lookout. I think he's a fool and deserves to be told so. Is he like a mascot or something? Honest, I'm just trying to figure out why such a twit is tolerated. IMO he deserves the intellectual equivilent of tarring and feathering, followed by being ridden on a rail. There really must be standards.
I was just about to agree with you, but then you actually spelled out "ya'll." I can't back up someone would do something like that - you're both a*sholes.
Old January 24, 2002, 21:23   #59
Ironikinit
Prince

I'm okay with that. I hope you don't mind me saying that it's "y'all" and not "ya'll", though.
Old January 24, 2002, 23:11   #60
Thrawn05
King

Re: I challenge you to find...
Quote:
Originally posted by Expatriate
An a game that has an active online community, where the boards do NOT get rants and complaints similar to those seen here.

You wont find it, but good luck trying. A few good examples of recently published games where this is the case would be Anarchy Online, Dark Age of Camelot and offcourse Civilization III.

No game can live up to the hype created by the fans themselves.
I basicly got kicked from avpnews just because I didn't like AvP2. So what if I'm one of the few who didn't like it. Some people go nuts if you don't like a game.