Old January 13, 2002, 16:33   #1
TinCow
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:19
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Problems with '20 turn' agreements
I don't know if this happens to anyone else, but I have found that my '20 turn' agreements (i.e. resource trades or right of passage) rarely end after 20 turns. Sometimes they do, but most often they just keep staying in effect without giving me the option to cancel them. The only way I've found of cancelling these 'permanent 20 turn agreements' is to declare war. Has anyone else encountered this problem? It's really a shame because now I tend not to do much of anything with anyone if I think I may not want it to continue indefinitely.
Old January 13, 2002, 17:16   #2
Atahualpa
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Latin Lovers
Emperor

Local Time: 20:19
You can cancel them in the Diplomacy-trade window. Beneath the main table there are two "buttons": New and Active. Under Active you can view your agreements and if you click on them renegotiate them or stop them.

I find it ruther dull that those agreements are not listed anywhere in the advisor screens. If I want to just see them I have to get in diplo contact with every civ.

ata
Old January 13, 2002, 18:54   #3
TinCow
Chieftain

Wow thanks. You learn something new every day.
Old January 13, 2002, 19:37   #4
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 06:19
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Dont worry, most people found out how to cancel these agreements through the forums... and not the civ documentation or playing the game. That one is a really unintuitive command, should be an easier way to check these things...

But there are other things id like to see in a patch first.
Old January 13, 2002, 22:27   #5
Akka
Prince

Local Time: 20:19
Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Dont worry, most people found out how to cancel these agreements through the forums... and not the civ documentation or playing the game. That one is a really unintuitive command, should be an easier way to check these things...
Civ3 in its entirety is counter-intuitive.
Remember when you tried for the first time to get to the Diplomacy/Espionnage menu ?
Ever tried to know WHICH government other Civ are using ? (still did not found this one)
All these things...
I don't know who was responsible of the interface, but I would fire him in the second if he would be working for me.
Old January 13, 2002, 22:38   #6
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 13:19
Quote:
Originally posted by Akka le Vil

Ever tried to know WHICH government other Civ are using ? (still did not found this one)
Military advisor, right hand pane. Title Bar *The Army of $$$ ###*.
$$$ is the country. ### is the government type.

You can cycle through the civs by clicking on the bar and picking different civs from the pop out list.

Salve
Old January 14, 2002, 04:32   #7
LotC
BtS Tri-League
Prince

Local Time: 12:19
For something so highly touted as a major addition to Civ, I find trade to be very poorly implemented.

For one, the trade advisor (and I use that term loosely) will only tell what resources that I can get from other civs, not what I can give. That is NOT trade. Trade works both ways or no way at all, so if this person wishes to advise me, I think that they should be able to tell me what other civs want from me.

Another thing is the 20 turn agreements mentioned. The existing trade agreements should be itemized on the trade screen, not a combination of the foreign relations screen and inside the diplomacy screens.

I do not like having to contact every civ just to see what I have going and what I can do.

Lastly, why can I not buy excess luxuries? IMO, this would make resources more strategic. It would give another way of possibly cornering the market on an item other than physically controlling it.
Old January 14, 2002, 11:14   #8
Ivanho
Settler

LotC - I totally second that.

The UI is very unintuitive and very poorly implemented.

Trade agreements should be on the trade window. Pop-ups for the expired/nearing completion of 20 turns (like for the wonders). Government types on the diplo screen.

And a major gripe on the maps - I am tired of being tossed into a jungle and then spend 3-10 turns to find a half decent place to settle.