Old January 13, 2002, 19:22   #1
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Local Time: 20:19
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What can ANY FUTURE STRATEGY GAME learn from CivIII?
(Original Title: 'What can MOO3 learn from CivIII?' led to a misunderstanding about the intention of this thread.)

1. Atmosphere matters. Donīt include anything awful (CivIII advisors and leader faces).

2. Game balance is everything. No Race/Unit/Tech/Government should be all powerful/totally useless.

3. More is better. There canīt be something like 'too many' different Units/Buildings/Techs/You name it. The game can still be balanced, if you make the differences incremental instead of extreme. Pleeease take a look at Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds. Countless everything, brilliantly balanced, wonderful atmosphere. That game has everything CivIII has not.

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.
Old January 13, 2002, 19:31   #2
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 21:19
There should be no late game tedium.
Old January 13, 2002, 21:58   #3
ACooper
Prince

Local Time: 13:19
I would agree with all 3 points and add 1 more - Don't promise anything specific or else people will take it personally.
Old January 13, 2002, 22:55   #4
Comrade Tribune
Prince

If you donīt keep the promise, that is.

Old January 14, 2002, 00:02   #5
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 14:19
The most important thing that can be learned is this. Don't let your efforts to make a game challenging get in the way of the player's fun.

The words we hear from those who are critical of the game are frustration, tedium, unrealistic and unfair. To paraphase the famous hambuger commercial.. "Where's the fun?"

I applaud many of the changes that Firaxis made in this version of Civ, but somewhere along the way someone should have refocused the design team on the importance of letting the player frolick.

I could list manyof the features or elements that people find so aggravating. But it has been done to death. Firaxis is not going to address them, instead, with the patch they continued to eliminate almost every alternate strategy the player could use (and find fun) to play the game. Right now, it looks like they will remove the pop rush military strategy so that there will be only the one prescribed way to play the game.

This is not fun and its a shame. I hope game developers everywhere will consider Civ3 as an example of how not to design a game.
Old January 14, 2002, 07:44   #6
LaRusso
King

it should be modelled completely according to yin's suggestions. he is, of course, always right.....
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old January 14, 2002, 07:57   #7
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

From Civ3? People want modding, MP and scenario editors.
Old January 14, 2002, 20:20   #8
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by LaRusso
it should be modelled completely according to yin's suggestions. he is, of course, always right....
Kassandra may not have been popular, but right she was.

Old January 15, 2002, 04:12   #9
LaRusso
King

that was kasandra, right?
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old January 15, 2002, 09:14   #10
Patient English
Prince

Local Time: 19:19
Quote:
Come on LaRusso. You can debate at a higher level than that!
Old January 15, 2002, 10:21   #11
Libertarian
King

In the course of the game, retain, amplify, and multiply interesting decisions. Consolidate, ameliorate, and if possible, eschew mundane ones.
Old January 15, 2002, 11:12   #12
ACooper
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Libertarian
In the course of the game, retain, amplify, and multiply interesting decisions. Consolidate, ameliorate, and if possible, eschew mundane ones.

Clear as a bell!
Old January 15, 2002, 12:43   #13
Heliodorus
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:19
Don't be afraid to incorporate good ideas that other games innovated first (CTP stacked move and/or PW as examples).

Playtest the game thoroughly, especially in a public beta type atmosphere (the reason Starcraft was so good, IMO).

Never plan the design cycle to end "in time for a pre-Christmas release." Ever. Period.
Old January 15, 2002, 13:42   #14
uh Clem
King

The correst answer is: PLAY TESTING!

Have people (preferably LOTS of people) who didn't design the game and who have no connection with the company spend time actually playing the game, noting what works and what doesn't, and reporting what they find.

And then act on those findings.

This would have dealt with at least 90% of the complaints w/CivIII.
Old January 15, 2002, 15:11   #15
Bubba_B
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Heliodorus
Never plan the design cycle to end "in time for a pre-Christmas release." Ever. Period.
BINGO!!!
Old January 15, 2002, 16:55   #16
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by LaRusso
In German, her name is spelled 'KASSANDRA'. Donīt know about Greek, however. Ask Marcos.

Old January 15, 2002, 17:03   #17
EnochF
Prince

Local Time: 11:19
I always thought the addition of Corporations would alleviate late-game tedium, especially in a game like Civ III, where conquering the world is such a chore. Don't bother! Just set up corporations in foreign cities to divert some of their gold. ^_^ It's a way to expand even after the entire world has been covered in cities.

But oh well. Corporations were too "radical" to include, I guess. Instead of adding features, Civ III got rid of stuff.

Anyway, yeah, More Is Better! More techs, more city improvements, more tile improvements, more wonders, more units, more citizen types, more features, more luxuries, and more customizability.
Old January 15, 2002, 18:43   #18
nato
Prince

Quote:
That is like EXACTLY what I argued in my "Late Game Tedium - Discussion and Solutions" thread!

I'd sue for copyright, but I'm afraid any lawyer I hired would be intimidated by your diction... thats twice in one day you've said exactly what I want to say.

Anyway I really think that is it: maximize fun strategic decisions, minimize boring busywork decisions.

I do really like Heliodorus's Christmas comment though...
Old January 15, 2002, 19:12   #19
GePap
Emperor

I Agree
I thnk the three most important lessons are:

MOdding ability- allow the player to modify some or all rules to fit their wishes. This is different from:

Choices: Give players the ability to choose distinct paths, based on thier preferences. The choices need not be infinite but they need to be substantial

Playtesting: I want MOO3, but I prefer to wait 3 more months than to get a bad title out of the box. For games in general then, wait till you think you have the game balance pretty good, and no obvious bugs, before you release it.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw