Old January 14, 2002, 11:50   #1
Ghidera
Settler

Local Time: 11:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Strategic resource changing?
I've been experimenting with getting a scientific victory, but in 4 days of trying I haven't once been able to GET to that stage . Every time its been because a vital resource or four was simply not on the map and unavailable from other civilizations.

I've left it set to Chieftan (easiest) and even played games with NO other civs and populated every continent. Most often there is no coal anywhere in the world, but some of the time I can build the spaceship as far as fuel cells. I have NEVER seen uranium, with or without other civs in the game .

Is there a way I can increase the amount of strategic resources without having to use the editor and manually add them? Not as much fun to play when you know the world map and resource locations before you start
Old January 14, 2002, 11:52   #2
Libertarian
King

Local Time: 14:20
No.
Old January 14, 2002, 12:51   #3
Akka
Prince

Local Time: 20:20
Re: Strategic resource changing?
Quote:
Originally posted by Ghidera
I've been experimenting with getting a scientific victory, but in 4 days of trying I haven't once been able to GET to that stage . Every time its been because a vital resource or four was simply not on the map and unavailable from other civilizations.

I've left it set to Chieftan (easiest) and even played games with NO other civs and populated every continent. Most often there is no coal anywhere in the world, but some of the time I can build the spaceship as far as fuel cells. I have NEVER seen uranium, with or without other civs in the game .

Is there a way I can increase the amount of strategic resources without having to use the editor and manually add them? Not as much fun to play when you know the world map and resource locations before you start
There is ALWAYS all the ressources on the map.
It's just that they are hard to spot.
Old January 15, 2002, 11:27   #4
Ghidera
Settler

Local Time: 11:20
Re: Re: Strategic resource changing?
Quote:
Originally posted by Akka le Vil

There is ALWAYS all the ressources on the map.
It's just that they are hard to spot.
Well, I only had two of the three continents, I guess all the uranium was on the third continent.

I did figure out how to change the resources without placing them manually. In the editor, change the resource rules. Increase the appearance ratio from its default to 300. Every civ will get every resource on thier map almost guarenteed.
Old January 15, 2002, 11:50   #5
Atahualpa
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Latin Lovers
Emperor

Local Time: 20:20
Bah I think Resources are one of the things that make MAJOR fun!!!!

If you dont have it you'll have to go for war or trade!

There will ALWAYS be a resource somewhere.

Pressing Ctrl+Shift+M allows you to view the map without tile improvement or cities. It is a lot easier to spot resources this way.

If you get a resource guaranteed then the game is boring IMHO. It gives some exciting thrill when you dont know if you will have oil or not.

ata
Old January 15, 2002, 14:28   #6
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 13:20
I agree with Atahualpa - not having everything adds a cool element to the game. You need to go get it! Either crush some neighbors or pay dearly on the trading table. It's frustrating, but I think it is one of the good additions to the game.

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old January 15, 2002, 19:28   #7
Captain
King

Local Time: 14:20
definitely!

having to wage war or pay through the nose to trade or send that ship halfway around the world and colonize that itsy bitsy piece of isolated rock plus build a harbour with 99% corruption is a pain but makes it more fun!

I know I complain alot and keep making all kinds of suggestions (some realistic, some zany), but Firaxis did do a great job in adding in resources and culture.
They could have done better, but as it is, it's still much more fun than otherwise...

still hate the UU system, but at least it's a checkable option!
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
Old January 15, 2002, 20:08   #8
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 12:20
Re: Strategic resource changing?
Quote:
Originally posted by Ghidera

You can increase the odds of a resource appearing in the Editor, but not by a great deal. For instance, Coal now has what's called an "Appearance Ratio" of 120. The maximum is 300. You'll find the setting in the Editor under "Natural Resources".