Old January 15, 2002, 08:02   #1
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 12:22
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Those danged black dragons!!
playing HOMM2, and on a lot of maps, I find myself dismayed by dealing with stacks of Black dragons, once I let them get out of hand.

take my current game: There is a stack of black dragons guarding an artifact, an obelisk, and dragon city. when I first saw them there was a horde there, and I didn't want to deal with that kind of firepower. but they have continued to grow over time.

Now most outrageous monster stacks I can whittle down. the zounds... Minotaur kings I attacked in two shifts, and when my best hero was about to lose, had her retreat (and immediately rehired her of course) and my second hero got all her good artifacts and finished them off. I have had to take on a number of huge stacks in shifts.

But there is now a LEGION of black dragons waiting, and I can't imagine ever being able to take those on. I tried taking a beefed up hero over there when it was just a swarm and had the entire army get wiped on the first round!! only killed 3 black dragons, too!

is there any way to deal with a LEGION of black dragons?

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn
Old January 15, 2002, 16:03   #2
Juggler
Prince

Local Time: 20:22
OK, I'm currently playing HOMM3 but the second part is practically the same thing.

You'll get "zounds" and "a legion of..." messages if you wait too long and don't attack them on time (black dragons in your case).
I remember getting the same damn messages when I was playing antient Greece scenario and entred underground 5 years after the start of the game.
Have your cities train as many long range units (archers etc.) and special units as you can. Then take 2 or 3 heroes and circle your world with them, entering cities and taking those units regularly. You should be able to build up a strong enough army to combat those dragons. But this takes veeeery long time and it won't necessarily work in your case. If you're lucky that legion of dragons might even scatter when seeing your huge army.
Old January 18, 2002, 09:37   #3
Father Beast
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Juggler
I remember getting the same damn messages when I was playing antient Greece scenario and entred underground 5 years after the start of the game.
5 Years!!!! Wow! The most I ever was into a campaign was 2 and a half years on the HOMM2 Lost Continent. I thought that was a long time, too.

Too bad that buildup won't work, since I'm on a small map (arrax the jerk) and only have 4 castles to draw from.

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
Old January 18, 2002, 12:26   #4
Rex Little
Prince

Local Time: 19:22
I suspect that your only hope is to start the scenario over and build up faster so you can attack the dragons before the stack gets that big. Or, if killing them isn't required to complete the scenario, just leave them alone.

When you do attack them, are they concentrated in one group or divided up? If concentrated, attack with your weakest group first each round to draw their counterattack. Then the other groups can attack without getting roasted.
Old January 18, 2002, 14:30   #5
Juggler
Prince

Quote:
Too bad that buildup won't work, since I'm on a small map (arrax the jerk) and only have 4 castles to draw from.
Ugh. That scenario of mine was set up on the largest map of them all (and I think HoMM3 has some bigger maps than HoMM2). This means that eventually you'll get some pretty tough opponents but managing a huge empire can be even fun.

Anyway, have you considered buying HoMM3? You'll be surprised by the progress this game has made so far.
Old January 19, 2002, 01:06   #6
Father Beast
King

Quote:

Anyway, have you considered buying HoMM3? You'll be surprised by the progress this game has made so far.
I actually have HOMM3, since it came in the millenium edition with the trilogy. I don't play it that much, since there is so much stuff to deal with, I find myself wondering how to use all those things on the map.

HOMM3 also carried very few heroes over from 2, and I miss some of those guys.

Old January 19, 2002, 12:34   #7
Juggler
Prince

Quote:
I don't play it that much, since there is so much stuff to deal with
After 6 months of playing I came to a point when there was nothing more to explore or find out in the game. That's why I'm looking for a sequel to HoMM3 - Armageddon's blade.
Does it come with that trilogy you bought?
Old January 29, 2002, 09:17   #8
Father Beast
King

Quote:

After 6 months of playing I came to a point when there was nothing more to explore or find out in the game. That's why I'm looking for a sequel to HoMM3 - Armageddon's blade.
Does it come with that trilogy you bought?
umm, no. But it does come with the HoMM3 Complete set, also cheap. you get HoMM3 and 2 expansion sets in it. I saw it still at wlamart a couple weeks ago.