Old January 15, 2002, 22:11   #1
jim755
Settler

Local Time: 19:24
Local Date: October 31, 2010
One Vision
Hey guys .... This is my first story any suggestions Good or Bad would be welcome. I think it is almost to linear but want to try and pipe out a complete story of the game.

Monarch level, relentless barb's, all victory options available except diplomacy, I started as the Germans, Stuka's world map, 8 Civ's.
__________________________________________________ __

In the year that would become know as 4000BC Maximilian leader of a rag-tag group of nomads founded the city Berlin. Berlin was founded in a beautiful location on the shores of the Rhine river. There where vast wheat fields to the south, and plentiful oceans laden with fish to the north. Even though Maximilian was a barbarian nomad he was intelligent. He had helped his tribe learn the secrets of Warrior Code and Bronze Working. Maximilian knew that technology was the key to a successful future for his people. Technology would mean better weapons, better health care, and more productive farming. This was the driving force for him to establish a city where his people could live safely and pursue the search for knowledge. Maximilian was also aware of the other nomad tribes that wandered the countryside. He knew these tribes would kill his people and steal what ever they could from them. He had risen to a leadership role defending his tribe from this threat. So it was no great surprise that his first order was to train a warrior army, followed closely by an order to research Iron Working. It was at this time that the first government agency was created, it was called the DOT (Department of Transportation). The DOT was assigned to build roads around the surrounding countryside, starting with the wheat fields to the south. Not only did they build roads they also provided some crude maps detailing the southern borders. As the map information was relayed, it was plain to see that Maximilian was worried. Two small villages had been detected on the southeast border of Berlin. All haste was made to prepare the first warrior legion. Berlin stood defenseless, if the villages to the south where to invade all would be lost. The first warrior legion was called into service one week later. A week where everyone held their breath hoping we wouldn’t be noticed, A week that seemed to last 200 years. The first warrior legion was immediately dispatched to the closest village. They where to determine friend or foe, and find out the intentions of the village built so close to us. As they traveled the second warrior legion began the process called basic training. (In 3750BC it was really basic pick up rock or club and bash enemy in the head, If its still moving bash it again, if it is still moving your not bashing it hard enough). 3 days later the first warrior legion engaged the nearest village, the response was better than Maximilian had dared dream. The village was impressed with our desire to better ourselves through knowledge, and offered us Cerimonial Burial if they could join us. Needless to say they where greeted with the warm hand of friendship. Maximilian had journeyed to greet our new brothers, and decided he would accompany the first legion on to the next village one days march from here.

The air was crisp and cool and Maximilian could see his breath as he stood watching the village in the early morning darkness. He wondered what the day would bring, would he meet new allies, would he be able to negotiate a treaty, or would he have to order his legion to attack. He vowed he would do everything he could to avoid war. Berlin needed these troops they where the only defense. The sun peaked above the mountains far in distance to the east,” it won’t be long now” he muttered to himself. The camp sprang into action with the rising of the sun. Guard rotations changed, cooks began preparing breakfast, and Maximilian was surrounded by warriors each with their own opinion on what should be done next. Maximilian dismissed them, got some food from the pot on the fire, and sat down next to Barbarosa. Barbarosa was the commander of the first legion he was single handedly responsible for the successful negotiations with the Aztec tribe just days before. Maximilian was quite biding his time thinking how he was going to explain to Barbarosa that he would not be allowed to join this negotiation. Finally he spoke “ Old friend I was mobbed this morning by a number of soldiers, all with opinions on how we should attack and eliminate this enemy”. “ I know I saw them swarming about you, I am glad you decided to sit with me and ask for my opinion”. Maximilian was not happy, and the sideward glance he shot Barbarosa made him understand immediately that he had over stepped his authority. “ I did not sit with you to ask for your opinion, I came to tell you why you would not be involved in the negotiations”. “The soldiers seem blood thirsty and anxious to attack, we have not even determined if this will be the needed action”. “ I will negotiate with this village, you will send 5 of your best warriors with me”. “While I am gone you will keep this rift-raft in order and follow the instructions I leave with you”. Maximilian went on to explain that Barbarosa was to hold the legion in an attack ranks, if he did not return by high sun the legion was to attack and kill every living sole in the village. He would then bring his body back to Berlin, bury it under his favorite tree in the palace garden, and assume command of the German despotism. Given his orders Barbarosa left to start following them. Within 10 minutes 5 of the biggest, strongest warriors in the legion where standing at attention next to Maximilians table. Maximilian eyed each of the warriors they all had fine polished clubs, each stood six to six and a half feet tall and the training they had received in bashing could be seen in there biceps. A couple of them even had brains they had tied sharpened rocks to their clubs to form crude tomahawks. The inspection was brief Maximilian smiled at Barbarosa shook his hand and headed out of camp towards the village. As he walked his thoughts wandered would that be the last time he saw his old friend, would he forgive him for being short with him earlier, would he live to apoligize later.

Maximilian’s thoughts where cut short as the he approached the village. He could see sickly woman and children working in filthy conditions trying to cook something that smelled like tree bark soup. The stench of death was in the air, where these people infected with a plague? Again his thoughts where cut short approaching him where a number a warriors one of them taller, and stronger than the rest. “Halt!! Who are you? What do you want?” was spoken by the obvious leader. Maximilian stopped, and with a wave of his hand his soldiers stood at the ready to each of his sides. “ My name is Maximilian I am the leader of the German people, I am here to ask you what your intentions are building so close to my city”. “ Who are you?”. “I am Edgar Rommell I lead, and protect these people”. “Until last night when our scouts returned from the Aztec village I was unaware of your presence”. “Be advised that I have called all able bodied soldiers to defend our home” was the response. “Well from the looks of things there are not a lot of able bodied people around, are you suffering from the plague?” Maximilian backed up a step or two. Edgar replied “We have had some bad luck with our crops, I have heard reports that the Aztec’s have joined you, is this true?” “Yes they offered us the hand of friendship and where greeted with it in return, I am here personally to offer the same to you” was Maximilian’s reply. “We might be willing to oblige you if you can feed and protect us, as we move to a new home, In turn we offer the strong backs of the Germania tribe and our loyalty” Edgar knew his forces didn’t have a chance against the German army. “The German people would prize nothing more highly, it is obvious your people are starving, this is obviously a poor location .” “ We will see to your needs while you relocate to a more suitable location to the north?” was Maximilians response. Edgar spoke “You speak the language of truth, we are willing to follow.” Edgart stepped forward to offer his hand to Maximilian. Maximilian accepted the hand of friendship and ordered one of his warriors to inform Barbarosa, to feed and help pack this village. By nightfall the first legion had fed everyone, and packed whatever was worth moving. Tomorrow they would make for the north coast of Germany.
Old January 15, 2002, 22:48   #2
jim755
Settler

The first legion hauled the packed supplies, helped those in need, and carried those unable to walk for three weeks. As they got closer to their destination morale started to improve. The second legion had been conscripted and orders where delivered to have them explore southwest of Berlin. Maximilian however stayed with the new settlers he was proud that these people where being fed, and seemed to be getting stronger daily. Some of the warriors practiced with the first legion, and those that performed well even took turns on guard duty. He was forming a bond with these people and he thought that this might be the beginning of a great friendship. Two days later they reached the site, it was here they would build the great city of Leipzig. Maximilian commissioned Edgar as the govener and over saw the beginning of the first spearman legion. The first warrior legion was sent northwest along the seacoast. Berlin had started development of a settler group, and the second warrior legion had discovered a new build site to the west. Twelve hours after Maximilian left for Berlin, scouts reported another civilization the Americans had built the city New York south of Leipzig.
He got the news regarding New York along with news that Germany had developed Iron Working. Orders where sent back instructing that the DOT build a road and mine on the newly found iron deposits. Scientific efforts where diverted to Masonry, and Maximilian pondered the question why would another civilization invite conflict by building so close to our borders. He didn’t ponder this thought long , as he arrived in town he was informed that the first spearman legion had been completed, And a settler group had been commissioned in Leipzig. The settler group had been finished in Berlin, and the second spearman legion was being trained. By the time Hamburg was built, the second spearman unit had been trained they where ordered to fortify their position defending Berlin. Training of the first Swordsman legion began in Berlin, Hamburg began training the third spearman legion. The next few weeks went by uneventfully, the second warrior legion explored France. They where about to explore Spain, when they encountered another civilization the English. The city of York was discovered in Southern France. Maximilian Greeted them he offered them our territory map for the Alphabet and contact with the Egyptians. He also offered them Iron Working for Writing. The first warrior legion had discovered new build sites for cities along the northern coast of Germany. They also detailed the plans for the Americans it was clear they where attempting to contain our expansion by expanding to the north and west themselves. Their capital was Washinton D.C. it was located in the heart of Russia.

Maximilian knew he would have to spill American blood to protect his people. He needed to find out how advanced these Americans where. He used the technology of writing to establish an embassy with the Americans, He was able to determine that they where not capable of producing swordsmen. Or if they where, they had chosen to build workers instead. This was Great news technology had given him an edge, and he planned to exploit it. The settlers in Leipzig had been completed, training of the second swordsman legion was next. The third spearman legion was completed in Hamburg, and training of the third swordsman legion was next. We also discovered the secrets of Masonry, Maximilian was enthralled with the Pyramids and ordered them built with all haste. He also decided we should pursue Literature next. The settlers from Leipzig where moved up the coast northeast to the next building site where they built the city of Konigsberg. Koingsberg began training the fourth spearman legion. During the next few months the Egyptians established communication with us asking for the secrets of Iron Working for the secrets of Pottery. Maximilian drove a hard bargain, but he managed to trade the German territory map and 25 Gold for Pottery and the Egyptian territory map. It was revealed that the Egyptians controlled the island of Great Britain. During this time the first swordsman legion was built in Berlin, and dispatched toward New York. Berlin began construction of the Pyramids, Konigsberg built the fourth spearman legion and another group of settlers which moved northwest to build Frankfurt. Frankfurt began training the fifth spearman legion, and the first warrior legion stood guard for them. Koingsberg began training the sixth swordsman legion.

It was at this time that Maximilian made the most important decisions he would ever make. He knew if he didn’t deal with the Americans they would push further into what he considered German territory. This would force him to develop closer to the English most likely causing a confrontation with them. The Americans had invaded us first not with warriors but their foul culture. Maximilian tried to reason with them asking that they give us the city of New York and leave our lands. The American leader Lincoln laughed at him and told him that German negotiations where being stressed. This made the order much easier for Maximilian, It was given in the early morning hours and sent with his fastest runners. Tomorrow the first swordsman legion was to attack New York. The battle lasted 2 days and the only reason it took that long was the fact that Germany had followed the standard shown to other races. They stayed out of the Cities areas of cultural influence. The first day they entered capturing workers building improvements for New York, the second they destroyed all resistance and burned the city to the ground. The remaining people where rounded up to form another work detail. For a city that had been built in anothers territory it was virtually defenseless. A single spearman unit defended it, it took longer to burn the city than to beat its defenders. Needless to say Lincoln was beside himself with rage and vowed he would destroy Germany. Maximilian took him at his word, and ordered that the first warrior legion be upgraded to form the forth swordsman legion. The second and third would soon be completed in Leipzig and Hamburg. The first and fourth swordsman legions began to march toward the American capital of Washington DC. The second warrior legion was ordered back from its mapmaking assignment. It was to report back to Hamburg so it could be upgraded to the fifth swordsman legion. The work details captured at New York where assigned to the DOT and began building roads. The though was that America would fall by winter. This was not to be, as the first and fourth legions entered city limits of Washington DC the English built the city of Hastings. This in and of itself was no big deal other than the fact that they had built in the exact location where New York had once existed. Maximilian was pissed.. “Obviously the English are even stupider than the Americans”. “They will not receive the warning we gave the Americans, they should already know what are response is going to be”. “Order the first and fourth legions to make all haste towards Hastings. They are to burn it to the ground” The order was relayed and Hastings was soon under attack, The English used a little more military thought to building Hastings than the Americans. They quickly built another city to the south of Hastings named Canterbury. They where trying to establish supply lines to the besieged city. The third swordsman legion was complete in Leipzig, it was sent south to reinforce the first and fourth legions A settler group was started in its place. The third and fifth legions left Hamburg heading towards York, a settler group was started. The English would be attacked on multiple fronts. The battle for Hastings was brief and the German legions escaped unharmed. As Hastings burned in the background another work detail was added to the DOT. The settlers in Leipzig where rushed and the city of Munich was founded where Hastings and New York had once stood. Munich began training the sixth spearman legion. As the first, third, and fourth legions moved towards the city of Canterbury the news came in. The English had built the great wonder Colossus Maximilian was dumbfounded. “We burn their cities to the ground, march on others, and they seem impervious to it” “They build great statues instead of soldiers to defend themselves, am I missing something?” “Do they have more cities than we are currently aware of?”
Old January 16, 2002, 22:27   #3
jim755
Settler

“Have the first, third, and fourth legions guard Munich until the sixth spearman legion is complete, Then have them attack Canterbury.” “What is the status of the second and fifth?” The Captain of the military HQ in Berlin answered. “ They have been held up in moving on York, The terrain is rough, Many mountains, and few roads.” “Mountains and roads don’t concern me captain, the capture of York dose” answered Maximilian. The orders for York where different he had a great interest in keeping this port city on the coast of the small ocean, it was to be captured protected and used as a base to invade London. The captain snapped to attention and responded “Sir they have also engaged a number of English spearman and longbow legions, while we have had some losses sir both swordsman legions still stand.” “They have had to return to Hamburg for medical attention.” This was what Maximilian wanted to hear, the English had been busy building troops as well as statues. The good news was that they where losing troops and cities, while the German military continued to grow in strength. If he took York the English where done for they would have to surrender. “Very well captain what is the status of the settlers in Hamburg “ Sir they should be done in 3 days…” The captain was cut off as Maximilian told him they would be done today, and the seventh swordsman legion would be trained in Hamburg. With this Maximilian turned his attention to his scientific advisors “ I hear we have discovered the secrets of Literature what could this possibly do to help us in our war with the English and Americans.” “ I told you I needed weapons! Do you want me to throw books at the enemy, maybe they will bore them to death.” The military advisors all got a pretty good chuckle, and most of the scientific advisors fumbled through their scrolls trying to find something to impress Maximilian. When a young man named Albert stood up and addressed the commander in chief. “Sir this is a great discovery, it will allow us to expand our pursuit of knowledge.” “Libraries will increase the amount of research we can do in a day by 50%, and the Great Library is a wonder among wonders.” “ The Great Library will put the Colossus built by the English to shame, people will flock from everywhere to learn its secrets in turn bringing their knowledge to share with us.” Maximilian pondered this though increasing his knowledge base exponentially was indeed an entertaining thought. “Very well what do you suggest next?”

Albert went on to suggest Construction, this would allow larger cities by bringing fresh water to the people. It would also allow for Coliseums and another wonder called the Great Wall. Albert seeing that Maximilian was not happy also suggested Horseback Riding and the Wheel. At this one of the military advisors suggested that we avoid these areas of research. I believe it was a runner named Wilks, Maximilian looked at him for a moment before asking why. “Sir I have seen the Roman people riding these beasts, while they may be quicker they a not nearly as capable as our swordsman.” “Who are these Roman’s? How are you aware of them? And how come I am not!!” Maximilian bellowed as he gave Wilks a stare that made him start studdering. “sssSir I ssSaw them mysself on an inssspection of the eassstern front.” The captain of the guard started shuffling his own papers. About half way down he found a document and began to read it quickly. “Sir I filed my report with Captain Morgan” Wilks had regained his composure. Maximilian turned his head toward Morgan “So what is this”. “Sir This report along with this one” he picked another document up from off the top of his stack. “Indicate than Roman horsemen, archers and settlers have been spotted Southeast of Munich.” “They have also just settled the city of Pompeii”. “Great Ceasar’s Ghost we have madmen running through our lands to the south, and I am just hearing about it after they build a fortress.” “Soldier you had better have one heck of a good excuse… The DOT always needs workers.” Morgan explained that he was extremely overworked, People just dumped reports everywhere all over his office. “I need an assistant someone to sort out the pertinent information from the drunk soldier who saw Bigfoot running through the countryside.” Bigfoot, Maximilian smiled to himself obviously the captain did need help. “Congratulations Centurion” Maximilian looked at Wilks. “You are being appointed as our military intelligence officer.” “You will assist Captain Morgan and report to me weekly with him.” Maximilian turned his attention to his Foreign Advisor Mortog, “You will arrange a meeting with the Roman’s see if they are willing to selling their technology.” “ You will also contact the Americans see if they have learned their lesson.” “Tell them our troops approach and demand the Wheel technology.” Mrs. Heidel interrupted “Sir we should send those settlers from Hamburg north.” “ Directly north of Berlin is a great site for a city, another port city that can be defended from Berlin” Mrs. Heidel started pointing at her culture maps she always toted around. She had been insightful in the past, she had kept Germany’s influence strong against the Egyptians. The only neighbor Germany was not at war with currently. “Sir” Captain Morgan spoke “this would be a military benefit, if we don’t need ships we can always use the base to produce additional legions.” Maximilian smiled “ I concur let us build Heidelburg” rumor has it that the cultural advisor fainted, Even though she denied it to her dying day.