Old February 9, 2000, 12:54   #1
John-SJ
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 14:33
Local Date: October 30, 2010
What's The Better Upgrade?
Hi all,

I have Civ II & FW and I am looking to update my Civ'ing experience. I don't really have time for MP so that's not a consideration, but I am interested in scenarios. Of MPG and ToT which has the better included scenarios, and more importantly, which game has more interest and support of scenario designers?

I'd like your opinions, which is better? Thanks!

John-SJ
Old February 9, 2000, 16:48   #2
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 14:33
IMHO

I can't speak on TOT as I don't have it.But if you are upgrading mainly for SP,the MGE ai is more hostile than original civ2.This makes some scenarios somewhat unplayable.At least not playable the way creators meant.Is also fairly buggy.

So,MGE for multiplaying only.Although some of the scenarios can be played on the original version by moving them to the appropriate folder most cant be played(on SP civ2) without major modifications.
Old February 9, 2000, 17:37   #3
Emperor10
Warlord

Local Time: 22:33
As far as scenarios go, each has thier own problems. ToT has better AI and expanded event options, in addition to the ability to have multiple linked maps. However, it does not have any editors, so you'll have to modify the files the old fashioned way. Using CivConverter you can import some FW scenarios into ToT( but some are incompatible). MPG has been around longer, and thus have more scenarios for it. The numerous editors also makes scenario building easier, but it lacks all of the new stuff in ToT. Ultimately, its up to you to decide what's more important
Old February 9, 2000, 19:18   #4
Lazlo
Chieftain

I havenīt played ToT too, but I definitely agree with Smash about the aggresivity of the AI in the games. No matter what you do, thew will drop from "enthusiastically" to "hostile" in a single turn. For me, this is a bug, and a serious one! It renders diplomacy completely useless.
If that famous CivConverter is already done, I would recommend (even if I havenīt tried it) ToT (but it needs more horsepower from your machine, though).
Old February 10, 2000, 15:12   #5
tobyr
Prince

I think the four-map play in ToT (fantasy, sci fi, and a few scenarios)is really special. If you move to civ2 now rather than ToT, you will presumably prefer it for the large number f scenarios available. But more TOT scenarios are going to show up, and you are likely to want ToT in the future to try your hand at multiple maps.

- toby

------------------
toby robison
criticalpaths@mindspring.com