Old January 16, 2002, 13:28   #1
hoppy39000
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:26
Local Date: October 31, 2010
worker questions...?? also a bug ??
hi all just started my 1st civ 3 game....it seems...that workers are not able to terraform at all....ie chg mountain to hills.....hills to grassland....or worse...desert to plains....is this a glitch... ? or am i missing a resource..... ?? or was it intentional ?? if soo it ruins the whole core of what was fun in CIV ! taking a bad island, desert, or mountain range...and making it productive ??? is there a patch ??? or what ?? HELP oh also noticed that when i try loading a saved gm. at end of a turn....when active unit is blinking...if i hit "main" ..i get load list.. i see gm i want ie rome 300bc.sav...but when i click the "O" at bottom left the screen disappears..and goes back to the active unit...if i repeat it a 2nd time it works.. is this a known bug ???
Old January 16, 2002, 13:31   #2
Libertarian
King

Local Time: 14:26
Don't know about your second question, but to your first question, no, there's no teraforming. And, inexplicably, hills can't be irrigated.
Old January 16, 2002, 13:32   #3
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 21:26
You need to work with your linebreaks.

To the first thing you sid it is true. Terraforming has been removed as it was too unrealistic. Nothing know can change of this.
Old January 16, 2002, 13:55   #4
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 05:26
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Yet another answer found in the paper thingy that came in the box!!!!
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old January 16, 2002, 14:34   #5
hoppy39000
Chieftain

play 1st... read mucchh later. lol too bad. terraforming was 1 of the best parts of civ. hope they chg that with a patch, or new version.....
Old January 16, 2002, 15:42   #6
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 12:26
Quote:
Originally posted by hoppy39000
play 1st... read mucchh later. lol too bad. terraforming was 1 of the best parts of civ. hope they chg that with a patch, or new version.....
I thought it was rather dumb myself, at least the part about creating a Hill from Grassland. So what, they hauls tons of stuff to this location just so they can haul it back out again? At least Mountains to Hills made some sense, though it's pretty much an impossible feat in reality. Maybe a few nuclear bombs drilled into the mountainside would do it, but not much else.
Old January 16, 2002, 15:44   #7
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

I hope that it will be one thing that will be added to the editor. (Adding worker jobs) Allow you to select that is should change the terrain, bring up the base terrain (as the clear functions), or produce a bonus for terrains (as mines and irrigations) One of 3 types of jobs could be selected. and for the one affecting terraintypes it should allow you to select bonuses in the terrain tab.

That would be good worker jobs modifying. Also giving each of the bonus jobs a momement modifier could work with roads.
Old January 16, 2002, 16:08   #8
hoppy39000
Chieftain

one thing they also miss out on wthout terraforming is, as in CIV2 the possibility that, after changing a mountain to hills etc there was always a chance that "wine" or "ore" or "game" "oil" etcc might be found...thus making a otherwise usless desert island ...into viable useful land,....now resources a set..based on AI design not flexible or changeble....it SUCKS
Old January 16, 2002, 16:17   #9
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by hoppy39000
one thing they also miss out on wthout terraforming is, as in CIV2 the possibility that, after changing a mountain to hills etc there was always a chance that "wine" or "ore" or "game" "oil" etcc might be found...thus making a otherwise usless desert island ...into viable useful land,....now resources a set..based on AI design not flexible or changeble....it SUCKS

In Civ2 the resources follows a pattern. You could say that here will this be. In Civ3 resources are placed on the tiles, and stay there even if you modify the terrain. (i.e. clear forest)
Old January 16, 2002, 16:29   #10
hoppy39000
Chieftain

right gramphos...but point i'm sayin is, no pattern now...and no chance that horses will just "appear" late in gm...or wine etcc if you spent the effort mining too look....some resources should be hidden....that way if land worked is a possibilty of appearing later...ie mining for ore....gold...uranium draning swamp finding corn or wheat...or horses..can help chg balance of gm...
Old January 16, 2002, 16:42   #11
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Isn't there a chance of resources appear as it is right now?
Old January 16, 2002, 17:22   #12
lightblue
Warlord

Local Time: 20:26
Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos
Isn't there a chance of resources appear as it is right now?
Only strategic resources, after they've run out somewhere else. You're not going to get new luxuries showing up, which is a bit of a shame (how can they know where all the gems are if they don't have the machines needed to build deep mines).
It’s a great art, is rowing. It’s the finest art there is. It’s a symphony of motion. And when you reach perfection, you are touching the divine. It touches the you of yous – which is your soul. George Pocock
What fun is that? Why all that hard, exhausting work? Where does it get you? What is the good of it? It is one of the strange ironies of life that those who work the hardest, who subject themselves to the strictest discipline, who give up certain pleasurable things in order to achieve a goal, are the happiest. Brutus Hamilton
Old January 16, 2002, 17:24   #13
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by lightblue
Only strategic resources, after they've run out somewhere else. You're not going to get new luxuries showing up, which is a bit of a shame (how can they know where all the gems are if they don't have the machines needed to build deep mines).
That is true, the appearance and disappearance should not have to be linked, but it should be an option.
Old January 22, 2002, 05:34   #14
Archaetus
Settler

Local Time: 13:26
I miss teraforming for its ability to link land masses over water. The AI wouldn't be able to stick it's irritating little cities between yours if the land didn't exist before you created it. It also helped when waging war overseas. There's nothing more I hate than a shipfull of sinking Legionaires. Except maybe those little damn workers.
Old January 31, 2002, 11:15   #15
planetfall
Prince

Local Time: 12:26
Don't know about earlier versions of civ, but civ3 AI hates privateers. Aggressive privateers really mess up AI sea travel.
:-)