View Poll Results: Who are the most successful AI played Factions?
Gians 9 13.85%
Believers 5 7.69%
Peacekeepers 3 4.62%
Morgan 2 3.08%
Hive 27 41.54%
Spartans 2 3.08%
University 1 1.54%
Angels 3 4.62%
Cyborgs 3 4.62%
Cult 2 3.08%
Pirates 4 6.15%
Drones 4 6.15%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 18, 2002, 13:33   #1
mrdynamic
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:31
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Stongest AI played Factions
Which factions do you consider to be the strongets/most successful faction when played by the AI? In all of my games, it seems like the Gians fair quite well. Most any faction can be eliminated early in the game, but given a decent start I would have to say the the University also is a strong starter, but seems to fade by the time the mid game comes along.

Last edited by mrdynamic; January 18, 2002 at 13:42.
Old January 18, 2002, 16:52   #2
Cybergod
Prince

Local Time: 20:31
In my opinion, it was a close call between Gaians, Hive and Drones... after a while I chose the Hive because they are only faction to successfully conquer me ever (I let them turtle too long) by sending waves after waves after waves... (you get the point) of chaos infantry! And I was playing Morgan (and since then, never again)!!!
Old January 18, 2002, 17:12   #3
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 12:31
The Hive was my vote.

I guess I'd better not critique spelling as the other day I managed to spell 'satellite' wrong.
Old January 18, 2002, 19:40   #4
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 05:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
There aren't really any factions that are all-round good. The Cyborgs tend to have good research and wealth, but are surprisingly easy to conquer. Same with the University. The Morganites can be quite challenging; but I voted for the Hive. They have crappy research, but I usually find them the hardest faciton to beat overall.
Old January 18, 2002, 20:21   #5
knowhow2
King

Hive wins this category easily. The few things that the AI actually are good at the Hive possess; producing infantry/speeder and expand. The AI plays a aggressive faction a lot better than a pascifist one.
Old January 18, 2002, 20:40   #6
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 09:31
Choices, Choices...

In then end I voted for the Believers cause they're such punks! They've screwed me over time after time from voting on Planetary Governor (swinging the vote against me) to Planet-Bustering me!

My other choice would have been the Gaians cause even w/their growth penalty, they seem to propagate faster than weeds! Also, they don't seem to like my Hive policies that much

i.e. Police State/Planned/Knowledge or Power/Thought Control.
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old January 18, 2002, 20:49   #7
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 06:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I voted for the Hive. They're easily the toughest to conquer, and it's often just not worth it, cos you have to just slog through base... after base... after base... while all the while being attacked by hordes of his troops. And I've noticed that in a war, he often seemes to get military techs from other people to about one generation behind me, which considering the Hive numbers, is a problem. Though it is sometimes funny to see that when you've got Superstring Theory, he's still research Biogenetics. Anyway, they are the toughest AI faction to beat. I recall once it took me ages to beat Yang into surrender, even after factions stronger than he was collapsed very fast.

EDIT: Yang is also the only faction who has ever managed to confincingly overpower me. He got the Monsoon Jungle , and just had this enormous population that gave him about 130 votes when I had about 50.
Old January 18, 2002, 23:06   #8
big_canuk
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 14:31
Hmmm... the poll says 15 voters, yet there are 23 votes???

Anyway, Hive, of course. AI doesn't pop boom, except by accident. Hive doesn't need to pop boom.
Old January 19, 2002, 23:58   #9
gwillybj
Prince

Local Time: 15:31
Location: Eurytion Mining Camp: 100°C dayside, 100°F nightside.
now 34 votes for 23 voters
I had to cast my stone in the Hive's circle.
I've seen the Spartans jump out to a very strong-looking lead, only to lose it to a soaring Hive. Sometimes, if I can, I'll trade or even gift techs to Corazon just to keep her on par or at least close to Yang.
Old January 20, 2002, 10:26   #10
k.k.fly
Chieftain

It got to be the Hive. AI expands so fast, and always threatens rest with Buster. For Gaians I would trust her not to use because she blieves in planets, but for Hive I always worry that Buster(S) are coming any moment and I have no OPD.
Old January 20, 2002, 10:31   #11
vitamin j
Prince

The Hive is all-around the best AI faction in my experience. They always manage to do pretty well, and sometimes very well! Though the greatest overall AI faction power I've ever seen was Deirdre on a huge map with her own continent. Planet busted me, and nearly got herself voted supreme leader! That's the only time I've ever seen an AI faction even attempt a diplomatic victory. She's just not as reliably good as Yang. I'd cast my 3rd vote for Roze. The Angels can be a very strong AI faction, and I'd almost rather start next to the Hive!
Old January 20, 2002, 10:38   #12
Drago Sinio
Prince

Damn that insufferable Hive! I just hate when Yang gets big, and then gets missiles. Lots of missiles. Everywhere. You have to kill him when he's small.
Old January 20, 2002, 10:49   #13
Clear Skies
Prince

Another vote for the Hive, the only faction to whom I have ever lost...grr.

Damn Yang and his damn fast growth...

And it is SO not fair that he has a statistically better chance of getting the Monsoon Jungle than any other faction.
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Old January 20, 2002, 23:08   #14
k.k.fly
Chieftain

yeah i agree to take out Hive early, or use police state and get him on your side.

playing as santiago, i can fight battles qually with the hive, but in general he always have more cities than I do. dang...
Old January 21, 2002, 00:48   #15
mrdynamic
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by big_canuk
Hmmm... the poll says 15 voters, yet there are 23 votes???
This poll allows for more than one selection
Old January 21, 2002, 01:16   #16
Vytae
Warlord

Local Time: 11:31
Yang
Believers do good early game,but unless they kill off 2-3 ( SMAC) builder factions they peter out mid/late game.

Yang however is best all around and some of the best played AI ever. Yang,with the monsoon jungle on transcend will destroy any newb to average player and give even expert players alot of grief (untill the PB's slip through heh heh heh) on easier difficulties hes hard to kill because he expands everywhere and it takes alot of time to hunt down/slog through all his bases.
Old January 21, 2002, 02:33   #17
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

I had to vote for the Chairman as well.

Sometimes it is just as hard to root out Miriam if she is established, but definitely not as frequently probably not as difficult.

Too bad the Aliens weren't in the poll too; they are sometimes pretty tough although since so many people don't have SMAX, the votes are not really "fair" to the new factions anyway.
Old January 21, 2002, 07:17   #18
TresXF
Warlord

Quote:
This poll allows for more than one selection
this should pointed out in the headline clearly
Old January 22, 2002, 14:46   #19
Panzer
Warlord

Yang, all the way. Conquering him is slow and painful and if you don't watch out he'll finish you off.