Old May 21, 2002, 08:56   #31
big_canuk
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 14:32
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I respect those who think we should have a more realistic Chiron (Is that an oxymoron?)

However, IMO, we should never sacrifice gameplay for realism. X-gax, and PBs are powerful weapons. Reductions in clean minerals, and global warming are resultant effects which complicate matters for the perpetrator. I say it's good gameplay.

bc
Old May 22, 2002, 11:39   #32
Zaphod
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Adalbertus

I'm not PBEM player, but isn't it normally a matter of politeness that the first player mails the start/end of turn messages to all others?
Yes, Adalbertus, it is good form to post the end of turn messages on the turn tracking thread. But, unfortunately, this does not always happen.

Thanks, everyone, for the very useful suggestions.

I have adopted a dual policy of asking for a launch of the shade and doing some terraforming to raise land. My continent is a bit of a long peninsula, so a little extra land would be welcome. I'll just have to be careful about the trawlers I have in shallow water. How far does the shade drop sea levels?

bc, I agree with you on the gameplay issues. There needs to be some disincentive for nerve gas and planet busters.
Old May 22, 2002, 18:19   #33
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 06:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
IIRC, the shade drops sea levels by about 333 metres or so.
Old May 22, 2002, 22:04   #34
Zaphod
Warlord

Thanks for the info, GeneralTacticus. Now, I'll need to check all of my trawlers to make sure they are in water deeper than 333m.
Old May 22, 2002, 22:07   #35
big_canuk
ACDG3 Gaians
King

PLus, if land is going to rise, due to the solar shade, then sea squares that will become land, or be washed, will be labeled as "endangered".

bc
Old May 23, 2002, 01:32   #36
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

If a land tile gets "washed", that is presumably due to the circumstance that it was about to get submerged, but there was a tile or two of 1000+ elevation adjacent to it which would have led to a > 1000m differential between the two, so it gets the washing treatment instead, plus it gets a new (safe) elevation. When this occurs, I have sometimes noticed that a neighboring > 1000m tile becomes < 1000m after the washing. Does anyone know if that is always true?

I've never seen the solar shade in action, but it's good to know that it gives you the endangered indications. It seems though that we need a different word than "washed" for sea tiles - perhaps "muddied" .
Old May 23, 2002, 02:35   #37
Sikander
King

Local Time: 12:32
Quote:
Originally posted by johndmuller
If a land tile gets "washed", that is presumably due to the circumstance that it was about to get submerged, but there was a tile or two of 1000+ elevation adjacent to it which would have led to a > 1000m differential between the two, so it gets the washing treatment instead, plus it gets a new (safe) elevation. When this occurs, I have sometimes noticed that a neighboring > 1000m tile becomes < 1000m after the washing. Does anyone know if that is always true?

I've never seen the solar shade in action, but it's good to know that it gives you the endangered indications. It seems though that we need a different word than "washed" for sea tiles - perhaps "muddied" .
Silted.