Old April 1, 2002, 08:57   #121
Cookie Monster
King

Local Time: 14:33
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I just read gamespots review on Superpower. Ouch is right. That's too bad but I don't think I'll get this game. Glad I waited before spending my money on this one. Guess as you get older you get wiser, or after reading Civ3 posts one learns not to get burned again.
Old April 1, 2002, 13:17   #122
Leonidas
King

Local Time: 19:33
Case and Haupt. Dietrich:

Yeah, it sure pays to read reviews and wait before buying games, especially these days. . .

What was the developer thinking? If you make a game based in 1997, with real world countries, you should at least have some realistic settings.

I think the game might have worked better, if it was based in a fictional universe. Then current ideologies, alliances, logistics, diplomacy, etc wouldn't matter as much. . .

Currently, the idea that Vietnam can invade Mexico, or Bulgaria can take over the UK is laughable
Old April 3, 2002, 02:07   #123
Leonidas
King

Superpower: the developer seems to be committed to the game, so I'll wait and see what comes of any future patches. . .

Pax Romana: the website for the game is now up and can be found here. It appears there will be quite a bit of depth to this game:

http://forum.antikgames.com/pax-romana/
Old April 4, 2002, 00:21   #124
stratguy4321
Settler

Yeah, there seem to be some reality issues with SuperPower. You really have to forget the 'it's 1997' part to play it, and suspend disbelief on a few items. I'm going to buy it anyways, there are so few serious strategy games out there...

But I'm really waiting for Supreme Ruler 2010, they just released some new info and screenshots on their site (www.supremeruler2010.com). Pity it looks like it won't be out until the end of the year...

[[stratguy]]
Old April 4, 2002, 17:01   #125
Cookie Monster
King

Quote:
Originally posted by stratguy4321
Yeah, there seem to be some reality issues with SuperPower. You really have to forget the 'it's 1997' part to play it, and suspend disbelief on a few items. I'm going to buy it anyways, there are so few serious strategy games out there...

But I'm really waiting for Supreme Ruler 2010, they just released some new info and screenshots on their site (www.supremeruler2010.com). Pity it looks like it won't be out until the end of the year...

[[stratguy]]

I got confused. I didn't know that SuperPower and Supreme Ruler 2010 were two different games! Guess I need to stop drinking so much coffee.
Old April 5, 2002, 22:08   #126
Leonidas
King

Yes, Supreme Ruler does look pretty good.

Also, the people who brought you Europa Universalis I and II, are currently working on a vast strategic game covering ALL of World War II. It's called "Hearts of Iron".

Finally, a strategic game about WWII.

Here's what it's all about:

Hearts of Iron

Overview

Hearts of Iron is the first ever World War II PC game of true Grand Strategic scope. The game map spans the entire world and allows players to take the War to any new front of their choosing. Any nation in the world is playable, but the game focuses on the epic struggle between the great alliances of the new world orders Fascism, Communism and Democracy.

Hearts of Iron is developed by the team behind the awardwinning sales success Europa Universalis I and II and brings the same superdetail to a modern day gaming experience.

Hearts of Iron aims to be no less than the definitive World War II strategic experience.

Features

Epic gameplay - Global map with all the nations between 1936-1946

Scenario generator – Allows the players to modify and construct their own settings and campaigns and add national detail in thousands of combinations! Will assure great replayability and community activity!

Deep diplomatic model – Unique system to simulate political systems and their effect on neutral nations in relation to alliances.

Domestic political system.

Highly advanced research model – Change the course of war by getting superweapons and better production capabilities.

Real Time gameplay set to pause at any time. One minute of gameplay translates to one hour passed in reality.

Historical generals and political leaders. Thousands of real persons researched for individual detailed uniqueness.

Strategic level military system – over 100 different ground, air and naval forces fighting the total war on divisional level.

Optimized for Multiplayer - Hearts of Iron enables players to easily meet over the net through our proprietary Valkyrienet matchmaking service.

2 hours of quality musical recordings in MP3 format.

BETA : June 1, 2002

Last edited by Leonidas; April 6, 2002 at 04:23.
Old April 6, 2002, 22:06   #127
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 20:33
I'm a fan of WW2 games and EU2 so this sounds like just my thing. My only concern is that the game might be just too overwhelmingly big if you have to micromanage every activity on every front as one of the major powers. EU2 makes it possible because a war, while it might span continents, usually only involves a handful of armies actually on the march. WW2 should involve concerted or spradic action across entire fronts simultaneously. I'm also concerned that since in EU2 they could not get the AI to properly understand supply lines it might suffer the same problems as Superpower, with troops dropping in at bizarre locations halfway round the globe from their nearest supply port. Wait and see with bated breath sounds like the best policy.
Old April 8, 2002, 22:12   #128
Cookie Monster
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Grumbold
Wait and see with bated breath sounds like the best policy.

I agree This must be a policy that every gamer should use before investing any money into a new game.
Old April 9, 2002, 19:17   #129
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 20:33
Thinking about the game speed you mention of "one minute of gameplay translates to one hour passed in reality"....

...wouldn't that mean a game will take 2 months non-stop to play, even if you never pause or go to bed?!?

I hope that there are faster speeds that are still playable
Old April 10, 2002, 02:06   #130
Leonidas
King

Quote:
Thinking about the game speed you mention of "one minute of gameplay translates to one hour passed in reality"....

...wouldn't that mean a game will take 2 months non-stop to play, even if you never pause or go to bed?!?

I hope that there are faster speeds that are still playable
Grumbold: yes there are faster settings

It's shaping up to be a very interesting WWII game. At least in their previous games (like EU2) they know what they're doing.

And beta testing starts June 1st.

Can't wait to see how this puppy shapes up. . .
Old April 10, 2002, 21:07   #131
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Grognards.....they are nuts. These are people who spend 90% of there free time on wargames. I see these people in Axis and allies. A few names come to mind. But they are always there. No matter what, they are permament part of the Zone scenary. Call them losers, they call you a "noobie, n00b, newb, or no0bit".
Old April 10, 2002, 21:09   #132
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Case
That's certainly a damning review!

Here's another thing to add to the 'what the hell were they thinking file':

a patch is fixing all that. They bringing in Logistics. And other things. I have played it.There are serouis stability issues, but the game is fun.
Old June 7, 2002, 14:01   #133
Leonidas
King

For those of you who have Panzer General 2 (or who may buy this game - yes it can still be found in game stores), I am including a link that now lists 125 user-made campaigns for the game!

These links also lead to reviews of many of these campaigns.

The forum (JP's Panzers) in which these reviews are listed is also an excellent forum for discussion of this game and much, much more. . .

http://pub88.ezboard.com/fjpspanzers...icID=134.topic
Old June 7, 2002, 20:04   #134
jpww
King

Local Time: 15:33
War games rule!
Old June 9, 2002, 19:22   #135
Leonidas
King

Interesting avatar jpww. . .

Stare at the monitor a lot, do we?
Old June 9, 2002, 19:25   #136
jpww
King

Not as much as I used to
Old June 9, 2002, 19:28   #137
Leonidas
King

lol - glad you have a sense of humour
Old June 14, 2002, 13:36   #138
lord of the mark
Deity

[QUOTE] Originally posted by Leonidas
In the mean time here is a free wargame download called "The Ardennes Offensive". Can you accomplish what the Germans failed to do during the famous Battle of the Bulge? Test your skill as a general

I dled TAO some time ago. Its hard to criticize a freebie, but IIRC i found it difficult to figure out what was going on, how to play. It seems to assume substantial familiarity with PC war gaming. No real documentation. Not for beginners.

LOTM
Old June 14, 2002, 13:40   #139
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:

I can't say I ever related Civ to history because its just too superficial. .
Did you ever read my column, "civ2's Hegelian tech tree"?
Old June 16, 2002, 17:18   #140
Leonidas
King

Quote:
Originally posted by lord of the mark
I dled TAO some time ago. Its hard to criticize a freebie, but IIRC i found it difficult to figure out what was going on, how to play. It seems to assume substantial familiarity with PC war gaming. No real documentation. Not for beginners.

LOTM
LOTM: I haven't played the game in a while. But if I remember correctly the manual is pretty good at explaining things. It should be inside the game directly after you install the game. . .

Also check out Steel Panthers: Main Battle Tank - a free modern-era wargame download:

http://www.wargamer.com/