Old January 19, 2002, 21:12   #1
Minmaster
Warlord

Local Time: 11:35
Local Date: October 31, 2010
an idea for horses
since the horse resource is pretty much useless in the modern age, why not make horses be a resource that adds +1 food to all cities that has access to it? let it be the same until modern age or sometime after replaceable parts and turn it into a food luxury/resource? i've never had horsemeat tho.
Old January 19, 2002, 21:44   #2
Yolky
Prince

Local Time: 15:35
Don't need to eat horsemeat thou. Just say the horses help harvest the food faster with a plow say and that will give you more food. I like that Idea, maybe I will use it when I mod my game again.

Thanks for the tip.

I wunder if we trade it to a city of ours or to anthour race will they get the food bonus? Just a thought, then we can give food to those cities that dont have much food. I love the idea.

Davor
Old January 20, 2002, 14:59   #3
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 12:35
Re: an idea for horses
Quote:
Originally posted by Minmaster
since the horse resource is pretty much useless in the modern age, why not make horses be a resource that adds +1 food to all cities that has access to it? let it be the same until modern age or sometime after replaceable parts and turn it into a food luxury/resource? i've never had horsemeat tho.
Just go into the Editor and change it if you wish.
Old January 20, 2002, 15:16   #4
MonsterMan
Warlord

Local Time: 20:35
I posted an idea ("My long list...") about Hippodromes, which some might remember from Caesar III. They would require horses to build and maintain, and since betting on horsetrack racing is a widespread enjoyment in today's society, horses will never stop being a strategic resource.

On the other hand, iron and saltpeter also lose their importance as the game progresses.
Old January 20, 2002, 15:19   #5
Uncle Thade
Chieftain

Horses should be sent to the glue factory so I can make glue to fix the leaky battleships.
Old January 21, 2002, 09:48   #6
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 21:35
Re: an idea for horses
Quote:
Originally posted by Minmaster
(...) Let it be the same until modern age (...) and turn it into a (...) luxury (...)
That is what I'd like to see, when we hit the modern age we can no longer use the horse as a strategy resurce, but then it will turn into luxury instead and make people happy

Before modern age the horse could also get a +1 food bonus, but when we (again ) hit the modern age that food bonus is gone, but instead you can now build farmland (Don't we just miss that )...
Old January 21, 2002, 18:40   #7
MonsterMan
Warlord

Isn't bulls / oxen / male cows the traditional farm animal? Apart from transportation and running races, pulling timber is the only thing I've heard horses did.

I kindof miss farmland too, it looked prettier and tidier than irrigation.
Old January 21, 2002, 19:14   #8
Willem
Emperor

Re: Re: an idea for horses
Quote:
Originally posted by ADG

That is what I'd like to see, when we hit the modern age we can no longer use the horse as a strategy resurce, but then it will turn into luxury instead and make people happy

Before modern age the horse could also get a +1 food bonus, but when we (again ) hit the modern age that food bonus is gone, but instead you can now build farmland (Don't we just miss that )...
Horses are still used on Cattle ranches and in many Third World countries. The Northern Alliance used them in their battles with the Taliban for instance. Besides, you can't adjust the food bonuses that way, they're fixed for the whole game.
Old January 21, 2002, 19:16   #9
star mouse
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 06:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Horses:

+1 Shield
Horses were used in many ways to enhance productivity.

+1 Food
Horsemeat. Or perhaps the use of horse-drawn carts to take the fresh produce to market faster meant less food spoiled.

+1 Trade
Horses facilitate trade somehow.

Iron:
Why don't battleships require iron? Or tanks, for that matter. Somehow I don't think my battleships are made of wood!
Old January 21, 2002, 19:22   #10
MonsterMan
Warlord

Battleships don't require iron for the same reason riflemen and cavalry doesn't need saltpeter; by the time these units can be built, the resources that used to be needed is commonplace.
Old January 21, 2002, 19:24   #11
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by star mouse
Horses:

+1 Shield
Horses were used in many ways to enhance productivity.

+1 Food
Horsemeat. Or perhaps the use of horse-drawn carts to take the fresh produce to market faster meant less food spoiled.

+1 Trade
Horses facilitate trade somehow.

Iron:
Why don't battleships require iron? Or tanks, for that matter. Somehow I don't think my battleships are made of wood!
The underlying assumption here is that by this time, Iron deposits are more frequent so it's no longer necessary to worry about it. There's an abundant supply, even though they don't really appear on the map.
Old January 21, 2002, 19:52   #12
Purple
Prince

Local Time: 14:35
Quote:
Originally posted by MonsterMan
I kindof miss farmland too, it looked prettier and tidier than irrigation.
There's at least one graphic that replaces the irrigation with farms availble in the Files forum. I don't remember the artist, though.
Old January 21, 2002, 20:35   #13
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Purple

There's at least one graphic that replaces the irrigation with farms availble in the Files forum. I don't remember the artist, though.
Zeb_Fisher. He did a very good job, a big improvement over the original. If you bring it into a program like Photoshop, and play with the Hue and Saturation levels, you can come up with a Plains version as well. I didn't have much luck with the desert though, the Magenta background kept coming through.
Old January 21, 2002, 20:41   #14
MonsterMan
Warlord

Still, I miss farmland the way it used to function, as an improvement over irrigation. Wouldn't it be heaven to have a very open "terraform terrain" command for worker actions? A command that could add several new terraform abilities to the worker unit.

I'm thinking: Forests can be 'terraformed' to Light Forest instead of being cut down, jungle to light jungle, irrigation to farmland etc. That would spice things up a bit.
Old January 21, 2002, 22:49   #15
cassembler
Prince

Local Time: 13:35
What kind of futuristic society are y'all livin' in? Why, I still ride my horse to work every day.
Old January 22, 2002, 11:44   #16
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Re: Re: Re: an idea for horses
Quote:
Originally posted by Willem
Besides, you can't adjust the food bonuses that way, they're fixed for the whole game.
I know this is not possible yet, but it could become possible in a future patch (ot in the XP). If that will be adjustable the game can become much more advanced for those who wants it
Old January 22, 2002, 11:49   #17
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 22:35
I love the idea of making horses a luxury in modern times. Or making them a prerequisite of Farmland; This feature is already in the game in form of the Coal/Railroad symbiosis.

Quote:
Originally posted by cassembler
What kind of futuristic society are y'all livin' in? Why, I still ride my horse to work every day.
What was that place? Utah, methinks...
But there is a logical error here; Mormones have banished computers...
Old January 22, 2002, 12:20   #18
Willem
Emperor

Re: Re: Re: Re: an idea for horses
Quote:
Originally posted by ADG

I know this is not possible yet, but it could become possible in a future patch (ot in the XP). If that will be adjustable the game can become much more advanced for those who wants it
I doubt very much if they'll bother with that. They've got their hands full fixing the problems they have now, then there'll be MP for them to worry about.
Old January 22, 2002, 17:20   #19
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: an idea for horses
Quote:
Originally posted by Willem
I doubt very much if they'll bother with that. They've got their hands full fixing the problems they have now, then there'll be MP for them to worry about.
Do as I do: Always look at the bight side, the is a chance, the chance is pretty small yes, but it's still there