Old January 21, 2002, 02:21   #1
pv13ft
Settler

Local Time: 19:37
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Game Lockup
I have this terriable problem with Alpha Centuari and the Alien Crossfire expansion. They both like to lock up my computer on me. DOes anyone have any idea why and how to fix this? Sometimes it will happen 5 minutes into the game, other times it will happen 2 hours in. It is espicially annoying trying to play on our network at home. Any thoughts and or ideas would be appreciated. Some additional info:
-Other games run fine
-Running an AMD thunderbird
-512MB ram
-running win98SE

I think that's about all that's really crucial. More info can be supplied.

-Jonathan
Old January 21, 2002, 20:28   #2
k.k.fly
Chieftain

I have also experienced lock ups in late stage of the game. I had a base with 30+ units, and it locks up when an unit became active within the city.

I have also experienced invisble units. You know when you activate an unit, it is suppose to be flashing on the screen right? Well the units became invisible, however I can still move the units. How odd. It also happened in late stage of the game.
Old January 21, 2002, 20:33   #3
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 13:37
I used to get lockups and crashes fairly frequently but since I "patched" the game it has become VERY infrequent. So the first question is whether you have all the patches for the game. They don't eliminate all the bugs but some of the worst crash bugs seem to be eliminated.
Old January 26, 2002, 13:33   #4
pv13ft
Settler

OK I've installed ALL the patches, for Alpha Centuari and Alien Crossfire. I played for about 2.5hrs after I did that and no lockup, but when I tried playing over my girlfriend and my network my computer locked up in the first 20 mins. Anyone else play over a local LAN through the IPX protocol (it locked up even faster through TCP/IP)? I think I have all the settings correct, it doesn't lock up when we send large files over the network. Grr we just wanna play AC togeather!
Any thoughts/ideas? I think I'm gonna try re-installing 98, maybe that'll fix it.