Old October 24, 2000, 13:28   #1
Tim White
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:29
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The River, The Mountain, The Weather
Rivers need to be changed, instead of the 1/3 movement thing, there should be mini neutral boats that float on the rivers that units can use.

Mountains - Add elevation, so that the higher you go, the colder it gets, and the slower the units moves. And like horsemen and tanks, and vehicles cannot cross across mountain ranges without a road. Add 3D to, So that you can tell which mountain is higher then another. And have mountain passes to.

Add weather also, so that during winter, the earth would look kinda like glaciers, and whats that other terrain called? any way, during winter it would be cold, it would work like elevations, and if cold enough, then units would slowly die (Siberian Special Forces would be imune to weather). Heck man, I want to use those Russian winters to my advantage!
Old October 24, 2000, 17:06   #2
Dom Pedro II
King

I posted a message where I suggested that rivers should be one of the mediums for transporting cargo in a trade route. A city on a river would depend on it to do its trading with other cities, and rural populations (another thread i posted) would consolidate on the shores of rivers.

Mountains with elevation are a good idea as well. They have been discussed thoroughly.

The only one I disagree with is the weather. The reason is that each turn can be one year or more. Weather changes within the year, so it would really not make sense to make a winter occur every fifty years. However gradual changes in the terrain due to natural causes would be nice. Ice ages might be an interesting twist.

And just to take those Russian winters into account somehow, maybe certain tiles in certain latitudes should be tougher on units to symbolize the rough winters, or in the tropics hot, disease-filled summers.
Old October 24, 2000, 17:12   #3
Tim White
Chieftain

I do agree with you that weather would be rather redicalous, And ice ages, and such would be a cool thing to add in stead of winters, summers, etc.
Old October 24, 2000, 17:58   #4
UltraSonix
King

Local Time: 10:29
quote:

Heck man, I want to use those Russian winters to my advantage!

Not only is the turns point above true, but also, how does the game show it on the screen?

quote:

Ice ages might be an interesting twist
It'll be easy to do as well - everyone freezes to death. Game Over.

------------------
No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary...
Old October 24, 2000, 18:13   #5
Tim White
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by UltraSonix on 10-24-2000 05:58 PM
Quote:
Heck man, I want to use those Russian winters to my advantage!

Not only is the turns point above true, but also, how does the game show it on the screen?

quote:

Ice ages might be an interesting twist
Have ya every played Lords of the Realm 2? well, the map is winterlike. And it is much harder to grow food during the winter.
Old October 25, 2000, 14:34   #6
Frugal_Gourmet
Warlord

Local Time: 19:29
Local Date: October 30, 2010
How can there be weather, when turns are at least a year long?

Old October 25, 2000, 16:46   #7
Dom Pedro II
King

quote:

Actually, UltraSonix, there HAVE been dips in the world climate that has caused profound effects in civilizations globally but they still survived. Not quite as dramatic as an ice age, but still a deep freeze for those living at the time. I can't remember where I saw it, but there was one during the Medieval Ages that affected the Franks, the Chinese, and the Mesoamerican civilizations just to name a few.
Old October 25, 2000, 18:41   #8
Tim White
Chieftain

No ultrasonix, everyone would not freeze to death, if that were true, then during a global warming everyone would Fry to death.
Old October 25, 2000, 18:53   #9
red_jon
NationStates
King

Not so, they say that due to global warming northern Europe will freeze. (We had snow in August this year!)

Better wrap up warm....
Old October 25, 2000, 21:31   #10
UltraSonix
King

Local Time: 10:29
quote:

No ultrasonix, everyone would not freeze to death, if that were true, then during a global warming everyone would Fry to death.

I must have posted that right after going to OT - I was only joking! Still, frying to death would be pretty funny as well...

------------------
No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary...