Old January 24, 2002, 14:29   #151
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 12:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Re: Re: Re: Why no responses by Firaxis?
Quote:
Originally posted by cej

Also, IMHO, they are not about to respond to every topic or public Firaxis bashing thread, and if you think about it, why should they? Their best interest is to ignore these type of topics and thus hope of this type of commentary to die down.
And where would they find the time? I've been trying to go through the posts that keeping flooding in all day so far, so that I might actually be able to get something done today. Unfortuantely, I keep being attacked for my opinions and feel obligated to defend myself. I can just barely imagine what it would be like for Firaxis if they opened the floodgates and made themselves readily available. And I'd much rather have them working on improving the game than responding to posts all day.
Old January 24, 2002, 16:29   #152
CharlesUFarley
Prince

Local Time: 11:39
Quote:
Originally posted by OneInTen
Do web designers work for free where you live? Please supply some names, I'm sure the company I work for would love to hire a few!
Although I already knew the answer to my own question I wanted to see what your opinion on the matter was, and again I say opinion because I know alot of people that do a little extra for their company here and there, and web design happens to be one of them. So yes, there are noted accounts of free web design but none that you would know of personally. It is not only in my opinion that their web page is designed and updated for free by one of their employees (or two) but they should also be giving us progress indicators/updates whether they like it or not. Otherwise we go back into the "show respect - get respect" argument, and by them not telling us what they're working on simply because they don't want to generate false hopes or create hassles in the already flustered marketplace is being ethicly rude and disrespectful toward the consumer. When there is a problem with the product and we don't get answers, then that is bad business (as you've been told a million times) simple as that.

Quote:
Anyway, I'm reasonably sure we're not going to see a progress report until the next patch (or possibly it'll be an expansion pack, who knows) is ready. Not for financial reasons, but simply because as Firaxis have already made it abundently clear, in the interests of not making a public commitment that they can't meet, they will not be releasing details of what they are working on until they're sure they'll release it.
Yeah were all aware of that. That's why were fueding over it.

Quote:
What is so hard to understand about such a policy? It's pretty industry standard, why does everyone act like Firaxis is going out on a limb here?
No I don't beleive any company is out to get their consumers. And yes I do agree that it is a company standard for marketing to behave in such an odd proffesionalism. But your missing the point, we don't like that policy/standard therefor we dispute it, what good would debate or negotiations be if everyone lied down and said okay go ahead sue my pants off. You've got to expect that the consumers (when displeased) will also behave aggressively - its consumer policy now.

Charles.
Old January 24, 2002, 17:48   #153
Quokka
Chieftain

Quote:
All that remain are fanboys who snipe indiscriminately at thoughtful commentary.
Lib you say fanboy like its a crime to actually like something. Lock me up I'm guilty of liking many things, and what is this if not a snipe? And indiscriminately aimed at fanboys.
Negative criticism, which encompasses most of your posts is hardly ever described as 'thoughful commentary'. Usually thats just called criticism or flaming on these boards.

This thread has also migrated from a question about Firaxis and their answers to one on the usefulness of stacked movement, so I may as well chime in on that issue. It would be handy to have in some situations but is not make or break for me. I never Automate workers, so no advantage there. I have never had 500 units so unit movement tedium is rarely an issue. It is possible to win without much in the way of combat, I have done it and so have others so it is not essential for combat and the game can be won without it. I believe this was the intention of Armies. There is a general movement away from the warmongering side of Civ in this iteration, no stacked movement and corruption are logical steps in forcing strategies other than war. Like OneInTen said one persons flaw is another's feature.

One final piece of nonsense to address:
Quote:
We're not asking for their secret plans (which aren't really secret anyway — I know some of the things they're working on).
What are some of the things they are working on then?
Quote:
I will not tell you.
'Cause you lie.
Quote:
Incorrect. I will not tell you (as I already explained in some detail) due to ethical considerations.
***cough*** Bullstuff ***cough***
Quote:
I, my God, my conscience, and one other human know that I'm telling you the truth. That is sufficient for me.
All that information and $3.50 will get you a coffee at Starbucks, well a small one anyway. And you flame Firaxis for dodging questions? Maybe they have ethical reasons not to answer. Why bring the subject up if you had no intention of answering any questions about it? You raised my expectations only to squash them moments later. How could you?
What sort of answer is God knows I'm telling the truth? You know what? I know everything they are doing too, but I'm not telling either, but my dog knows and that is sufficient for me.
Perhaps you better walk over and pick up that stone you threw a little prematurely.
Old January 24, 2002, 17:53   #154
Libertarian
King

Local Time: 14:39
Who cares what you know or don't know? Who asked you anything?
Old January 24, 2002, 17:57   #155
ACooper
Prince

Local Time: 13:39
Quote:
Originally posted by Libertarian
Who cares what you know or don't know? Who asked you anything?
Look in the mirror and say that.
Old January 24, 2002, 17:57   #156
SixArmedMan
Prince

Local Time: 15:39
When someone uses the term "fanboy", they usually refer to someone who's fanatical loyalty to a company has robbed them of all objectivity when reviewing and defending mediocre game A.
Old January 24, 2002, 18:08   #157
Quokka
Chieftain

Spit that dummy! Distance 6.4m nice one!

Same could be said for anyone on these Forums.
Sorry to have stepped on your self importance, I'll watch were I tread in future and be sure to assimilate your Holy Wisdom with more alacrity and respect, and I'll refrain from polluting the environs with my base and asinine drivel.
Old January 24, 2002, 18:10   #158
Libertarian
King

Well, see that you do.
Old January 24, 2002, 18:40   #159
CharlesUFarley
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by ****gyRA
Look in the mirror and say that.
Takes one to know one.

Charles.
Old January 24, 2002, 18:48   #160
ACooper
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by CharlesUFarley

Takes one to know one.

Charles.
I am rubber and you are glue................
Old January 24, 2002, 18:59   #161
CharlesUFarley
Prince

Quote:

what? You use a rubber and some glue?

Charles.
Old January 24, 2002, 19:03   #162
ACooper
Prince

Quote:

what? You use a rubber and some glue?

Charles.
Nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah,

Tag, you're it.
Old January 24, 2002, 19:43   #163
Willem
Emperor

Quote:

Takes one to know one.

Charles.
Oh yes, that is so very mature. What you just graduated from Kindergarden?
Old January 24, 2002, 19:47   #164
Willem
Emperor

Quote:

Yeah, I remember that game. I wish I could remember some of those insults, some of them were hilarious. Did you ever figure out what you were supposed to do with that water main that was on the top of that hill? I just could not get past that point, and I tried everything I could think of.
Old January 24, 2002, 19:56   #165
FNBrown
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Prince

How about: "I know you are, but what am I?"
Old January 24, 2002, 20:20   #166
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Well... this thread is turning into a spam fest...
Back on topic, or this thread is toast

Old January 24, 2002, 21:04   #167
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ming
Well... this thread is turning into a spam fest...
Back on topic, or this thread is toast

A spam fest? More like a pre-school brawl. Hey fellows, I think it's time for your nap now. Yes I'd say this thread is toast. It doesn't look like there's going to be much in the way of intelligent conversation coming out of this one anymore. Thank God for the unsubcribe feature.
Old January 24, 2002, 22:05   #168
OneInTen
Warlord

Local Time: 05:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
You've got to expect that the consumers (when displeased) will also behave aggressively - its consumer policy now.
Well, if consumers are supposed to complain when they don't like something, then equally consumers are supposed to praise something they like. Word of mouth works both ways, good or bad.

So both sides are doing their part in debating this here.
Old January 24, 2002, 23:56   #169
Encomium
Warlord

If the game had been adequately playtested and developed BEFORE a rushed release for Christmas there would be NO need for any debate.

Sid, you effed up on this one.
Old January 25, 2002, 00:03   #170
Unregistered
Chieftain

noise...

~ carrier lost ~

-- "Mr. Glencannon" - Guy Gilpatrick
Old January 25, 2002, 00:49   #171
FNBrown
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Hmm... I thought we were gonna give this thread a decent burial and move on..

Old January 25, 2002, 01:24   #172
CharlesUFarley
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Willem
Oh yes, that is so very mature. What you just graduated from Kindergarden?
" Like oh my god, your mature! Grow Up .. Laoozer" You sound like my x-girlfriends 14 year old daughter.

Charles.
Old January 25, 2002, 01:32   #173
CharlesUFarley
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Willem

A spam fest? More like a pre-school brawl. Hey fellows, I think it's time for your nap now. Yes I'd say this thread is toast. It doesn't look like there's going to be much in the way of intelligent conversation coming out of this one anymore. Thank God for the unsubcribe feature.
Well we were having intelligent discussions until you and your little gang of friends decided to come in here and begin the spam attack. I said it before and I'll say it again, if you don't like the opinions and citicism then don't read it. Ming, it's obvious that he can't win any arguments in here so he'd rather spam it up so that you close the whole thread down, essentially taking us all down with him! I admit I contributed to thier imature level but I now have better things to do than waste keystrokes on the un-productive. Thanks for your assistance Ming.

Charles.
Old January 25, 2002, 01:41   #174
CharlesUFarley
Prince

Quote:

Well, if consumers are supposed to complain when they don't like something, then equally consumers are supposed to praise something they like. Word of mouth works both ways, good or bad.

So both sides are doing their part in debating this here.
Yeah but debates and criticism are attempts to improve the situation as well as the game. When you guys come in here and blab off about how much you like the game, all your trying to do is supress the criticism by measily attempting to overpower us with praise of it. If you want to praise it, go praise it with other appraisilists or fanboys, people who have something in common with you! Don't come in here and banter off about how good the game is - in essence gloating over us and supressing our issues, because when you supress something it eventually bursts. Let the critics talk with critics, and the fanboys with the fanboys. To mix the two would only suggest - trouble makers and dectracting trolls. We don't want to hear you and you don't want to hear us, so select the posts that you agree with and reply to them. But don't interfere with the critics and their goals. We obviously have more to gain, since you guys are already "happy". We on the other hand are "not happy" let us be.

Charles.
Old January 25, 2002, 02:22   #175
OneInTen
Warlord

Local Time: 05:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
So in short you're saying you can't handle people with beliefs that are different to your own?

And is this not a fan site?

Does this thread not ask a question that is open for answering?

Don't you find it even slightly ironic that you're claiming I'm trying to supress things while telling me I shouldn't be posting?

Even if we accept your idea of segregation, why should I leave when I see at least as many people in this thread who like the game? Why shouldn't you be the one to take a walk?

Your argument has more holes than Bill Clinton has had women. I'm not doing any suppressing, I've never suggested that you don't have the right to post, I've merely stated what I feel are the flaws in other people's arguments. If that's "suppression" then too bad, in the real world people's ideas get put to the test and if they don't hold up to logic and fail to make the grade, then they often get thrown out. I guess you could call this "suppression".

Yes, in not agreeing with you maybe I'm missing something. Well you know what? They laughed at Einstein. They laughed at Newton. But they also laughed at Bozo the clown.

I humbly submit that if you don't like people posting positive things about the game then you should "procreate in another location".
Old January 25, 2002, 03:31   #176
CharlesUFarley
Prince

Quote:
So in short you're saying you can't handle people with beliefs that are different to your own?
Not even close, nice try though.

Quote:
And is this not a fan site?
Yes it is, and I'm an (get ready for this) "upset fan" what don't you understand about that painless concept?

Quote:
Does this thread not ask a question that is open for answering?
Sure does, but you 'hi-jacked' my post and start foaming at the mouth when I merely mentioned Firaxis' bad PR or the fact that I didn't care much for Civ3. Who's leaning on who!

Quote:
Don't you find it even slightly ironic that you're claiming I'm trying to supress things while telling me I shouldn't be posting?
Again, nice try - is twisting other people's words a habit for you? You're free to post, but not free to cut someone down for having an opinion that rivals yours. Which you are clearly doing.

Quote:
Even if we accept your idea of segregation, why should I leave when I see at least as many people in this thread who like the game? Why shouldn't you be the one to take a walk?
First, I don't see what you see - again the 'pissing contest' "there are more poeple that like the game than hate it" crap. I've taken poll and it looks clearly obvious there is a hell of alot more negativity toward Civ3 than there is posativity - ask Ming he'll tell you. But in the least you can count can't you?

Quote:
Your argument has more holes than Bill Clinton has had women. I'm not doing any suppressing, I've never suggested that you don't have the right to post, I've merely stated what I feel are the flaws in other people's arguments. If that's "suppression" then too bad, in the real world people's ideas get put to the test and if they don't hold up to logic and fail to make the grade, then they often get thrown out. I guess you could call this "suppression".
Let's go through this one more time "I've merely stated what I feel are the flaws in other people's arguments" If this is true then you just kicked yourself in the ass, because you mentioned to me that "flaws" are not "facts" only "opinions" so what you're really saying is that since your opinion doesn't jive with someone else's you have the right to argue with them and cut them down (or attempt to). And the only thing that I find "too bad" is your lack of respect for the fan community which obviously has serious issues with this game product, and you stand directly in defiance of that. As far as I'm concerned you're fully exposed now and a large target! And we'll see if you make the grade!

Quote:
Yes, in not agreeing with you maybe I'm missing something. Well you know what? They laughed at Einstein. They laughed at Newton. But they also laughed at Bozo the clown.
So your the clown I take it?

Quote:
I humbly submit that if you don't like people posting positive things about the game then you should "procreate in another location".
Nope sorry, I'm not going anywhere. As the forum topic goes "Why no responses by Firaxis?" I am in here to debate and discuss that and only that. You're here to juggle and entertain, I look forward to this.

Charles.
Old January 25, 2002, 04:14   #177
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 21:39
this thread is dangerously near GLOTS limits...

some people should re-read it and think if they are helping towards the sollution of the problem or if they are part of the problem...