Old January 21, 2002, 21:09   #1
TheHobbit
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:40
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Civ3 is the best game I have ever owned!
I mean it has flaws, so does every other game I have but for such a scope they did a magnificent job! Compared to other games released by some of the lazy companies today its exceptional. The technology tree and cost of improvements is great considering all the variables. Later on improvements gradually get more expensive and so does the cost of technology just enough so that you have to try to keep up but you don't get hopelessly left behind. The strategy involved with different terrain and locations of citys brings whole new depth to the game. I'm constantly using things to my advantage like circling around and attacking from above on the mountains, surrounding citys and starving the people and troops out or until the people defect, and trying to find the best place for my new citys. Its amazing how each decision you make effects everything else and the game has such a high replay value. The animations and art is well done anf you get a sense of a real world being able to view city populations, see the city itself, and change where the citizens work.

I know I forgot a lot of the positive sides of the game so please post and list what you LIKE about the game.
Old January 21, 2002, 22:12   #2
Worthingtons
Prince

Local Time: 19:40
The Trade and Strategic/Luxury Resources!

Racing to get resources is excellent, I remember once finding about the worlds supply of wine a lot way from me, closer to American Terrotiry, My Setter would take 30+ to make it , so I sent a loads of scots (movement 2) to form a line blocking the American setter when they tried to get there.. Very satisfying
Old January 22, 2002, 02:10   #3
Venge
Settler

I like a lot of aspects of the game, but being able to get into the Editor and change the things that you want is awesome
And the Editor is easy to use, even for a non-techy type like myself.
Old January 22, 2002, 03:21   #4
DaShi
Emperor

I see someone has bought his first game.
Old January 22, 2002, 03:32   #5
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I see that someone appears to be bitter that someone else is enjoying the latest civ.

Salve
Old January 22, 2002, 03:35   #6
DaShi
Emperor

Maybe if I bought the game.
Old January 22, 2002, 03:38   #7
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Somehow you still sound bitter.

Salve
Old January 22, 2002, 03:40   #8
DaShi
Emperor

Ok, I'll bite. How so?
Old January 22, 2002, 04:18   #9
notyoueither
Deity

Just the way your first reply fell into the tone of the thread.

It struck me as being posted by one who is not enjoying Civ3, and who maybe is a little bit wistful that someone else is enjoying civ in it's latest incarnation.

Salve
Old January 22, 2002, 04:35   #10
Archaetus
Settler

I think it's refreshing to see someone so enthusiastic about Civ 3 instead of nit-picking at the things they don't like.

I doubt, and hope, you're not out to be bitter DaShi. Sometimes those of us who love Civ and know its ins and outs can forget how fun it is to just step back and play with complete appreciation. May we all be so lucky to recapture the wonder of Civilization.
Old January 22, 2002, 04:41   #11
Archaetus
Settler

To speak of the thing I find most amazing in the latest installment of Civ, I have to say its the power of diplomacy. It's amazing how you can remain the weakest military power in the world, but still have everyone by the balls. I find it more fun to have the world groveling at your feat just from the sheer knowledge that if you felt like building a military and crushing all who oppose you, nothing would stop you. The level of realism in recreating how power is achieved and used in diplomatic relations is commendable.
Old January 22, 2002, 04:41   #12
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 15:40
Archaetus: If you keep going around spreading this goodwill and common sense, I'm going to have ask Markos to ban you.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old January 22, 2002, 04:41   #13
notyoueither
Deity

At any rate. Thank you for your patience during the preceding thread-jack. We now return you to your regularly scheduled programme...

Culture. As an alternative method of winning. Even if I don't like it's affects universally.

Leaders. Battle can spawn something useful other that body counts.

Aircraft Operational ranges. I'd about had it with the incredible floating fighters/bombers from earlier civs/ctp.

Global Conquest by Artillery being done away with. Yes, Napoleon came from the artillery, but it was his infantry and horse that shook Europe.

I could go on, but I think others might want to contribute and I don't want to steal any thunder.

Salve
Old January 22, 2002, 05:08   #14
Special_Olympic
Chieftain

Bah, it's a dumb game. Great for newbies though...
Old January 22, 2002, 05:11   #15
Archaetus
Settler

I'm sure you can see the need for it, eh Yin?
Old January 22, 2002, 05:22   #16
Mizaq
Prince

Local Time: 11:40
i liked alpha centauri a LOT more than i like civ3. in fact i would be trying out that ds9 mod for smac if i hadn't left my game disks in storage when i moved to teh university across the state. did you guys know that you can't buy alien crossfire any more? bleh, just the freakin mac version. you can buy alpha centauri though. i think ill go home for spring break and come back with my disks, i miss that game.
Old January 22, 2002, 05:40   #17
Venge
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Special_Olympic
Bah, it's a dumb game. Great for newbies though...
That is an unfair statement. I am no newbie by any stretch of the imagination, and I enjoy the game.
I am sure there are lots of people who are not newbies that enjoy it.
Fact it, you like it or you do not. It has nothing to do with anything else.
Liking or disliking any game is just a matter of personal prefrences.
Old January 22, 2002, 05:53   #18
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Quote:
I'm sure you can see the need for it, eh Yin?
Sure, but it's hurting my chances of Total World Domination!

Old January 22, 2002, 06:00   #19
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 12:40
these damn pirates. I take it you have many pirated games.
Old January 22, 2002, 06:01   #20
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

and how long have you been playing

I thought the same thing for about 3 weeks.
Old January 22, 2002, 06:39   #21
Libertarian
King

Local Time: 14:40
It's the best game I have ever owned, too — if you don't count Gettyburg, Interstate 76, Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries, Diablo II, Alpha Centauri, Fire Power, Aaaargh, Corporation, Hidden Agenda, Dungeon Master, Grand Theft Auto, Vigilante, Empire, Alone in the Dark, Warlords 1,2,3, Castle Wolfenstein, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Quake, Lemmings, Diablo, Myth, Life or Death, Sword of Aragon, Bop & Wrestle, Escape Velocity, Rage of Mages, MUDS, Third Courier, Tongue of the Fatman, Mechwarrior 1,2, Death Track, Die Hard, Defender of the Crown, Alternate Reality: The City, Thief II, Deus Ex, Artic Fox, Keef the Thief, Sentinel Worlds I: Future Magic, Hard Nova, Star Flight 1,2, Seven Cities of Gold, Larry Bird and Doctor J: One on One, Test Drive 1, LHX Attack Chopper, 688 Attack Sub, Alice, One Must Fall, Unreal Tournament, Zork 1,2, Leather Goddesses of Phobos, Beurocracy, Suspect?, Circuit's Edge, Crescent Hawk's Inception, Cresent Hawk's Revenge, Mines of Titan, Neuromancer, Bard's Tale 1/2/3?, Dragon Wars, Wasteland, Battlechess, Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate 2, Fallout 1, Fallout Tactics, Maniac Mansion, Indiana Jones & Atlantis, Star Wars: Dark Forces, Loom, Secret of Monkey Island, SimCity, SimEarth, The Sims, Sword of the Samurai, Covert Action, M1 Tank Platoon, Gunship 2000, F19 Stealth Fighter, Darklands, MechCommander, RailRoad Tycoon 1,2, Silent Service, Civilization 1,2, Pirates, Sea Rogue, Colonization, Roller Coaster Tycoon, Pizza Tycoon, Age of Empires, Magic Candle, New World Computing: Might and Magic 2,3,4,5,6, Planet's Edge, Nuclear War, Heroes of Might and Magic 3, Ultima 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. Ultima Underworld, Martian Dreams, Moebius, Autoduel, Times of Lore, Bad Blood, Knights of Legend, Wing Commander 1,2, Windwalker, Ultima Online, King's Quest 1,2,3,4,5, Police Quest 1,2,3?, Space Quest 1,2,3,4, Colonel's Bequest?, Iceman, Hero's Quest 1,2, Manhunter: SF and NY, Leisure Suit Larry: 1,2,3,4,5, Rise of the Dragon, Keeping up with Joneses, Gold Rush, Caesar III, Half Life, Ground Control, Wizardry 1,2, Crusaders of the Dark Savant, Jagged Alliance 2, Jagged Alliance 2: Unfinished Business, Phantasie III: Wrath of Nikademus, Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Hillsfar, Eye of the Beholder 1,2, Pools of Darkness, Questron 1,2, Rings of Zilfin, Perry Mason, Amazon, Spirit of Excalibur, Floor 13, Monopoly, Blade Runner, Dune 2, Exile, Pong, Chessmaster 1000-8000.

And Freecell.
Old January 22, 2002, 06:56   #22
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

LOL! Holy God. Nice work, man.

Old January 22, 2002, 06:58   #23
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

pong?

hmmm, yeah I guess so. Back in those days a game like that kept me going for weeks. Longer than civ3
Old January 22, 2002, 07:03   #24
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 07:40
Local Date: November 1, 2010
What? You never played "Spaceward Ho!" ?

Simply amazing, Lib.

Ever considered being a cancer researcher or a negotiator in the Middle East? With the effort you put into things, we'd all be living to 100 and having boring peaceful holidays on the Gaza Strip in no time.
Old January 22, 2002, 07:34   #25
Kurgan
Chieftain

Re: Civ3 is the best game I have ever owned!
Quote:

I know I forgot a lot of the positive sides of the game so please post and list what you LIKE about the game.
I've been playing strategy games since I was 10 (I am 30) , board games (Avalon Hill and the like), titles like World in Flames, Clash of Steel, Fall and rise of the Third Reich, Empires in Arms, Europa Universalis I & II, Colonization, CIV I, CIV II, etc. And many other games in all formats, board, rol, mail, PC, etc, and I do not find any reason for the bad and terrible opinions about the CIV III I have seen. I think the game is good, it could be vastly improved, I enjoy it a lot, and still after having read most of the complains, I do not see the reason for the hate that some people seem to have for this game.

About the quote, it was just to remark that this guy asked people who like the game to post positive remarks. I am sure that some people will say they are free to say what they want wherever they want, OK but then I do not know what the titles of the threads are for. I will not go to complain to a thread named "ideas for CIV IV", I will go there to give ideas, and if I want to complain, I will create my own thread or look for complainers threads (and there are a lot).
Old January 22, 2002, 11:47   #26
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 16:40
I like Civ3.

[runs away completely embarassed...]
Old January 22, 2002, 13:46   #27
Spec
Emperor

I like civ3!!! It has flaws but PLEASE what game doesn't!? Of course I didn't spend the last years shacking in my closet waiting for this game, like some ppl here but, I'm glad I bought it. No game is the same, and the editor let's you change almost anything!!!! I noticed that a lot of peps who complain about the game here could change what they dislike in the editor, but you know, it's a lot easier to b1tch about than to fix it.......

Spec.
Old January 22, 2002, 14:14   #28
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
Ever considered being a cancer researcher or a negotiator in the Middle East? With the effort you put into things, we'd all be living to 100 and having boring peaceful holidays on the Gaza Strip in no time.
Get real. Why are people impressed with excessive verbiage?

Anyway, tip of the hat to those who like the game.

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old January 22, 2002, 14:15   #29
Zealot
King

Local Time: 20:40
Hey Libertarian, Leisure Suit Larry 4 was never released! They lost the original floppy disks.
But there are version 6 and 7!

And you never played SQ 5?!? It's the funniest game I've ever played!
But I think the main flaw in your collection is not having the Master of Orion series. They rock.
Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1
Old January 22, 2002, 14:32   #30
Ironikinit
Prince

Local Time: 14:40
I like how normal people with lives and a sense of proportion tend to be the ones who like Civ 3.

Not to rip on people with morbid pointless obsessions and a complete lack of manners or anything. Somebody to shoot their coworkers (I mean, if they actually had jobs) because they were so terribly disappointed by a game or the nightly news could lose ratings.