Old January 22, 2002, 14:40   #31
Spec
Emperor

Local Time: 19:40
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Ironikinit
I like how normal people with lives and a sense of proportion tend to be the ones who like Civ 3.

Not to rip on people with morbid pointless obsessions and a complete lack of manners or anything. Somebody to shoot their coworkers (I mean, if they actually had jobs) because they were so terribly disappointed by a game or the nightly news could lose ratings.
You are sooooooooooooooooooo right!!!
Keep it up man!!!
Old January 22, 2002, 14:56   #32
Libertarian
King

Local Time: 14:40
I beleived a word once. Lordy, it was a mess.
Old January 22, 2002, 14:57   #33
Pembleton
Prince

Local Time: 13:40
Quote:
I like how normal people with lives and a sense of proportion tend to be the ones who like Civ 3.

Not to rip on people with morbid pointless obsessions and a complete lack of manners or anything. Somebody to shoot their coworkers (I mean, if they actually had jobs) because they were so terribly disappointed by a game or the nightly news could lose ratings.
I don't understand why people who don't like a game remain on a board for that game for months after they've stopped playing to continue bashing it or the people who have made it. I stopped playing this game but I occassionally stop here to see if they will include stacks in an upcoming patch so that I may give the game another chance but I don't waste my time whining about it. While I'm here I tend to read a few threads before I leave. Every time I'm here though I see the same people whining and then saying that Firaxis doesn't listen. Well if they don't listen then why are you wasting your breath?

Is it going to change anything? Civ3 is doing well enough and from many polls I've seen it is quite popular. There are a few who believe that because the game doesn't suit their own personal needs that the company should ignore the majority and cater to them only and if they don't, then they "don't listen".

Instead of lingering on my own personal complaints I move on and do other things. And that's what I've been doing since I stopped playing Civ3. You can see my post history to see that there is a gap between a frequency of my posts here and when I stopped. Of course I stopped mainly because this place became a zoo. I only post now because it's slowed down but the content of these threads are still basically the same old ****.
Old January 22, 2002, 15:02   #34
Libertarian
King

Quote:
Instead of lingering on my own personal complaints I move on and do other things.
Obviously. And we'll tell no one you were here.
Old January 22, 2002, 15:04   #35
Pembleton
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Libertarian

Obviously. And we'll tell no one you were here.
And the person who said that you take one quote out of context and twist its meaning was right.
Old January 22, 2002, 15:08   #36
Libertarian
King

Quote:
And the person who said that you take one quote out of context and twist its meaning was right.
He was left, actually.
Old January 22, 2002, 15:21   #37
Gutz
Chieftain

Just wanted to say I like CIV3 too. Of course I only play with the LWC mod and I am eagerly waiting for the next update!
Old January 22, 2002, 17:46   #38
TheHobbit
Chieftain

Quote:

Hahahahahaha, few people are left in the world that have any wit. You still got it!

Libertarian, you make me sick. You ruin positive threads and you always have to stick your own remarks into everything. People like you don't deserve the privledge of owning a computer.

Thanks for your positive comments everyone!

"Don't argue with an idiot, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."
Old January 22, 2002, 17:50   #39
Libertarian
King

Quote:
People like you don't deserve the privledge (sic) of owning a computer.
It's my wife's.
Old January 22, 2002, 18:12   #40
GePap
Emperor

It's fine, thats all
I like Civ3 OK, thats all. As it stands, i don't think it is a worthy successor to Civ2 and unless the expansions (the changes needed won't come out in patches) are really good, it will not hold my interest as much as civ2 did.
Hey Lib, I have to repeat the complaint of you not having included the MOO series in you set- I hope that MOO3 will be for the series all that Civ3 could have been for this series.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old January 22, 2002, 18:15   #41
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 12:40
yeah I'm here to stay and you can't make me leave

I was intending on leaving before, but people were so irratated with me I had to stay.

I don't hate the game. But I don't like it anymore. For 3 weeks it was a great game for me. But now...

I still have hope. I am an optimist for the most part. I hope to see some exciting new mods or see if future patches do anything to help the game. Although I feel only an expansion pack would salvage anything of this game. I really am not up to doing mods myself. So I'll just wait and see what happens.

But that doesn't mean I can't complain about the game in the state it is in now.
Old January 22, 2002, 18:52   #42
Libertarian
King

Quote:
Hey Lib, I have to repeat the complaint of you not having included the MOO series in you set- I hope that MOO3 will be for the series all that Civ3 could have been for this series.
You're right. An egregious oversight. It was hard to think of everything. I also left out Connections.
Old January 22, 2002, 18:56   #43
Raion
Prince

I remember the first couple of Civ versions. It took a long time to really learn how to play the game.
First it was frustrating, then one would just play it to see if one would ever win, then you would win, then you would only start on maps that you wanted to play on, and then try all the options and all the civ's, and then 2 years had gone by, and then one started playing on higher levels of the game, just to see what one could do on that level, then patches came out and scenarios, and then faster computers, and then a lot of people were still playing the game, and then still, one needed your Emperor's hat, and your bugle, and confetti, and still other things to play the game, then one would just play it, because one was use to it, so until next year, do not tell me that you have played CIVIII enough to say that you are not boring. In a single player game, who really knows what you are doing in the game, and who really cares how one plays the game.
Are you my mother?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
And it will be on your hard drive, when other games have come and gone, come and gone, and come and gone!
Along with a couple of other classics coming out this year!
Because you know, that those other games you buy will be boring after playing them only a little while, but CIVIII will still be there, maybe with additional patches, and still be there, on your hard drive, ever tempting you to try one more time!

Really!
Old January 22, 2002, 18:57   #44
DaShi
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Just the way your first reply fell into the tone of the thread.

It struck me as being posted by one who is not enjoying Civ3, and who maybe is a little bit wistful that someone else is enjoying civ in it's latest incarnation.

Salve
Actually, I enjoy CivIII very much considering that I don't own it. It reminds me that I made the right choice to not waste my fifty bucks. Not a choice I always make.
Old January 22, 2002, 22:12   #45
TheHobbit
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by DaShi

Actually, I enjoy CivIII very much considering that I don't own it. It reminds me that I made the right choice to not waste my fifty bucks. Not a choice I always make.
I enjoy knowing when I grow up someone like you will be serving my fast food for me. I only paid $40 so hah, the games worth twice that though!
Old January 22, 2002, 22:26   #46
Evil Robot
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:40
Quote:

I enjoy pirating software and I JUST LOVE ensuring that future games will be crappy and rushed to market without QA.
Old January 22, 2002, 22:56   #47
Terser
Warlord

Re: Civ3 is the best game I have ever owned!
Quote:
Originally posted by TheHobbit
I know I forgot a lot of the positive sides of the game so please post and list what you LIKE about the game.
I like the fact that it is not embedded in my OS, and can thus be deleted quickly and easily to free hard drive space for titles such as Morrowind and Heroes of Might and Magic IV.

Hobbit, I don't think anyone refutes your right to like and enjoy the game....they just probably are a little suspicious of the breadth of your gaming experience, what with never leaving the Shirer and all...
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
-- C.S. Lewis
Old January 22, 2002, 23:08   #48
TheHobbit
Chieftain

Re: Re: Civ3 is the best game I have ever owned!
Quote:
Originally posted by Terser
Hobbit, I don't think anyone refutes your right to like and enjoy the game....they just probably are a little suspicious of the breadth of your gaming experience, what with never leaving the Shirer and all...
Second its the Shire, and no I'm not from the Shire. I'm a hobbit but I live elsewhere in the woods far away, I have all the free time in the world and I can eat my 6 meals a day while at the keyboard too so why not play games?

Your assumptions and suspicion about me are foolish and impolite. If you assume things about people before you know them your very unlikely to have any friends at all in the future.

Anyways I think this has stopped going anywhere, I know I'm not helping but I'm only halfling. Thanks for the positive comments, .
Old January 23, 2002, 00:18   #49
DaShi
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by TheHobbit

I enjoy knowing when I grow up someone like you will be serving my fast food for me. I only paid $40 so hah, the games worth twice that though!

If you like the game, that's great for you. To me it doesn't seem very fun. Making a few jibes in jest, is a bit fun though.

Oh, and I've lived more in one week than you ever will in your whole miserable life. That's probably why I don't take this game very seriously, and enjoy watching you meatheads kiss up to Firaxis.

By the way, how old are you, boy?
Old January 23, 2002, 01:09   #50
Chronus
Prince

I guess I can rejoice now that I've passed the dreaded "3 weeks" mark. This game is still fun.

Quote:

I enjoy hearing both pro and con opinions about the game but, dang, this quote really sums up a tragic but true reality quite nicely.
Old January 23, 2002, 01:22   #51
DaShi
Emperor

Chronos, glad you still like the game. To each his own and all that.

Unfortunately, some of the most venomous and hate-filled posts have come from those who do like the game. Yin has taken more heat than any single person deserves over a video game. And he was in charge of the list of suggestions to Firaxis when they were developing CivIII. Frankly, the hostility of the 'fanboys' is frightening fanaticism.
Old January 23, 2002, 01:26   #52
Encomium
Warlord

Quote:
Civ3 is the best game I have ever owned!

You must be kidding. It is LOADED with flaws. Very briefly, here are some of the more annoying aspects of Civ III that spoil the game for me:

1. Excessive CORRUPTION.

2. Excessive CULTURE FLIPPING with vanishing garrisons that forces us to act like barbarians razing city after city.

3. USELESS NAVIES that act very unrealistically. The poor use of navies (and trade) is worth several pages of discussion.

4. No Cheat Mode.

5. No way to make scenarios.

6. Worse hiistorical accuracy and realism than in Civ II.

7. A CHEATING AI that breaks its own rules constantly in many ways. This is another subject that deserves pages.

8. Assorted BUGS even after the patch.

9. An ugly color scheme that was too yellow and that I had to replace.

10. A poor use of bombers. They can't even sink warships!!

11. Absurdly long lag time between turns.

12. The game was clearly rushed to market for Christmas and not playtested enough.

13. Idiotically high costs forSpying and Espionage functions.

14. Excessively RARE STRATEGIC RESOURCES.

15. Stupid and careless nonsense in unit values such as giving War Elelphants, cavalry, and tanks airlift capabilities while Leader units don't have it.

16. Leaders have minimal effect on combat, unlike what Napoleon or Hannibal could do.

I could go on. And I will. But not now.

The Culture Flipping, AI Cheating, and Corruption problems are especially irritating.

The game disappointed me after I waited all these years.

And yes, the fanaticism of the "fan-boys" is pathetic. Their lives are so empty they've developed a "loyalty" to a very flawed product.

Last edited by Encomium; January 23, 2002 at 01:32.
Old January 23, 2002, 02:07   #53
OneInTen
Warlord

Local Time: 05:40
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
5. No way to make scenarios.
I'll let the rest pass by without comment, but on this point I'm sick of people whinging about something that there is absolutely no need for.

The game already includes a huge number of scenarios. No less than 52,183,852,646,400 by my calculations (not including ones you can make yourself with the editor).

2 ^ 32 different random seeds
* 5 settings for map size
* 5 settings for barbarian levels
* 9 settings for continent/water level
* 9 settings for earth age/weather
* 6 settings for difficulty

If 52 trillian possible games isn't enough for you, there's just no pleasing you really is there?
Old January 23, 2002, 02:16   #54
DaShi
Emperor

Can you make a WWII scenario?
Old January 23, 2002, 02:46   #55
OneInTen
Warlord

Quote:
Can you make a WWII scenario?
Does Civilisation claim to be a WWII sim?

Criticising Civ for not having a WWII scenario is like criticising a dog for not being a cat.
Old January 23, 2002, 03:06   #56
MonsterMan
Warlord

Local Time: 20:40
Encomium: Most of what you bring up is not WRONG, it's just different to what you would like. How would you define "useless navies"? Sure there's room for a few more types of boats, especially from the renaissance, and they could do with higher movement rates, but they are modeled pretty good after their real counterparts.

Bombers are not supposed to sink warships. They are supposed to damage them enough for them either to retreat or be crushed by your own warships, among other useful things. That IS realistic.

Not that I want to offend anyone, but people who complain so much about culture flipping must not know how to play the game. I recently defeated the 30+ cities of Persia, kept every city and I only had ONE culture flip, shortly before their empire was defeated. Firaxis has also agreed to add a warning when a city is about to flip, IIRC.
Old January 23, 2002, 03:18   #57
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

A civ game with no ww2 scenario is like a male porn star with no penis
Old January 23, 2002, 03:19   #58
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

and could someone tell me how the USS Arizona was sunk?

anybody?

the date was Dec 7, 1941 in case anyone is not sure.
Old January 23, 2002, 03:31   #59
OneInTen
Warlord

Quote:
A civ game with no ww2 scenario is like a male porn star with no penis
If the game name was WWII 3, I'd agree with you. But it's not - it's a game about civilisations from 4000BC - 2050AD.

BTW, it's not necessary for a male porn star to have a penis ... but I doubt explainations of why are suitable for this board.

Quote:
and could someone tell me how the USS Arizona was sunk?
If this is a reference to bombers in civ 3 not being able to sink ships, then I think you're barking up the wrong tree. Civ 3 is a game not a sim, and as such sometimes reality is ignored for the sake of gameplay.

I doubt you can name a world leader who has lived to be 6050 years old ... yet I don't see anyone whinging about how horribly unrealistic this part of the game is ... a case of selective blindness perhaps?
Old January 23, 2002, 03:44   #60
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Unfortunately, some of the most venomous and hate-filled posts have come from those who do like the game. Yin has taken more heat than any single person deserves over a video game. And he was in charge of the list of suggestions to Firaxis when they were developing CivIII. Frankly, the hostility of the 'fanboys' is frightening fanaticism.
Oh my.

Venom and hate? Whence does the venom and hate originate? Maybe with the people who hate the game and post incessantly to that effect. And those who belittle others who like the game. Where does it start DaShi?

Yin taken more heat? I think he has dished it out in full measure to what he has received in return. Just my opinion, not a mathematical study. I don't think anybody ever flamed him for what he attempted to contribute to civ3 during it's development.

Frightening Fanaticism? Isn't the negative aspect of fanaticism the part where that with which you do not agree becomes the enemy? Maybe like the game, or the people who like the game. I personally do not see a problem with behaviour bordering on the fanatical if it is directed in a positive, constructive direction. Was Mother Theresa a menace? The problem is when it is negative and destructive. Just my opinion.

On the subject of destructive fanaticism, the people who like the game are capable of it too. When they (we) flame in response to criticism we descend to the negative. Then the critics flame, then the fans flame, and then the ... What's the point?

I found that once some of the critics and some of the fans (myself included) dropped the hatchet(s), I started to have more fun on these boards. I gained more insights. And I've actually been able to engage in some constructive conversations, even with *gasp* Yin. Did you know that Lib can be quite funny? No, you wouldn't if all you want to do is hate him.

The bottom line is that when the people who do not like the game go negative, they invite more negative. When the people who like the game go negative, we invite MUCH more negative. Such is the nature of fanaticism, on both sides.

I do have to admit though, that I would have preferred if all the hatchets could have been buried, IN YINs BACK. Just kidding, sortta.

Salve