Old January 22, 2002, 03:30   #1
Blitzer
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
More Leaders with Patch
Well I've played about a dozen games now since installing the 40 turn tech patch... and lemme say there is a definate increase in leader frequency. I played a game as the Germans where I got EIGHT leaders in the course of the game. I never built Heroic Epic until after I had tanks. In another game I was defending my capitol with two elite knights as the Babylonians. I attacked with one, won and got a leader. I used it to rush my Sistene Chapel and attacked again with the other knight. You guessed it, another leader for Sun Tzu's Art of War.

No question in my mind that leader frequency has been increased with this patch.. before I was lucky to get one or two in an entire game. but now I am getting enough leaders to rush 1-2 middle age wonders, and that is AFTER building my forbidden palace.
Old January 22, 2002, 07:02   #2
Dodgy Geezer
Settler

Local Time: 05:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I dunno about pre-or post patch, but I have been keeping a log of my elite attacks in my current game in an attempt to quantify leader production.

Because I have battle animations off, I have only been monitoring attacking elite troops, although pre-patch I am sure I got one while defending.

Apart from the 47 elite attacks while I discovered you couldn't get two leaders, my results were:

9 attacks (and 29 successful defends) -> GL
1 attack -> GL
10 attacks -> GL and built Heroic Epic
(47 attacks while I had GL sitting there - doh!)
11 attacks -> GL
6 attacks -> GL
7 attacks -> GL

I am playing the Militaristic Aztecs, and have been purposefully used elite horse units in the better chances of surviving. The list above goes to the start of the Industrial Age - since then I have stopped counting, but it's been a long time since my last one!

It is possible I missed the odd one, but it looks like an average of around 1/7 before the Heroic Epic, and around 1/8 afterwards. I've been done!!!

Anyone else out there able to quantify this GL thing any?
Old January 22, 2002, 12:26   #3
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 14:41
I tend to play as the Germans, and I've been playing for a couple of months, in that time I only coughed up one freakin' leader, HOWEVER, those damn romans intercepted him with calvary before I could get him into my nearest city.
Old January 22, 2002, 12:52   #4
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Local Time: 15:41
Re: More Leaders with Patch
Quote:
Originally posted by Blitzer
Well I've played about a dozen games now since installing the 40 turn tech patch... and lemme say there is a definate increase in leader frequency.
Could'a fooled me (this game with the Babs, at least). I can't even get the vets to promote to elite! Early game, though, and non-militaristic civ. We'll see how things go, but I just fought two wars with the Germans, primarily vet horse, ZERO promotions. Maybe my generals stink. (Hey! You lookin' at ME?)
Old January 22, 2002, 13:29   #5
Thrawn05
King

Re: Re: More Leaders with Patch
Quote:
Originally posted by Hermann the Lombard
Could'a fooled me (this game with the Babs, at least). I can't even get the vets to promote to elite! Early game, though, and non-militaristic civ. We'll see how things go, but I just fought two wars with the Germans, primarily vet horse, ZERO promotions. Maybe my generals stink. (Hey! You lookin' at ME?)
I hear ya. I'm going to look in the editer and see if I can do somthing about that. I played the game even in cheiften and couldn't cough up a leader (I thought that being an easier skill leverl, that things like this would accure more often, I guess not).
Old January 24, 2002, 14:25   #6
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Re: Re: Re: More Leaders with Patch
Quote:
Originally posted by Thrawn05

I hear ya. I'm going to look in the editer and see if I can do somthing about that. I played the game even in cheiften and couldn't cough up a leader (I thought that being an easier skill leverl, that things like this would accure more often, I guess not).
Well, guess what, I was just impatient. In that Babs game I have now generated two GLs (bagging Sistine and Sun Tzu). Mind you, I didn't really *want* Sun Tzu, but grabbed it for long-term culture value and to deny it to the AI. I wasn't ready to build my FP (maybe I *should* have been), and I also wanted to get rid of GL#2 so that I'd have a shot at generating GL#3 in my ongoing war. I'd estimate that my non-militaristic civ is generating about 1 GL per 10 elite attacks, but that's just an offhand estimate.
Old January 24, 2002, 14:37   #7
Skeeve
Prince

It's all a matter of Probability
You know,
It all comes down to probability.
The appearance of GL's is obviously random, and given enough examples, there should be a standard bell-curve distribution. Unless, of course, other factors play in - such as a particular civ being militaristic.

I know that military civs have greater chance of producing elite units. More elite units = more attempts at getting a Great Leader, but I am not sure if military civs have any better chance of producing a GL from an Elite than other civs do.

In my few games post-patch, I've noticed no difference.
Old January 25, 2002, 09:02   #8
Easy Rhino
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:41
wait a sec!
there can only be one Great Leader hanging out at any given time?!

ER
Old January 25, 2002, 09:25   #9
SanPellegrino
Civilization III PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 19:41
Re: It's all a matter of Probability
Quote:
Originally posted by Skeeve
I know that military civs have greater chance of producing elite units. More elite units = more attempts at getting a Great Leader, but I am not sure if military civs have any better chance of producing a GL from an Elite than other civs do.
non-militaristic civs got a 1 in 16 chance to produce a leader from elite, militaristic civs got 1 in 12.
Old January 25, 2002, 18:52   #10
saj14saj
Settler

Unless the rules (in addition to the odds) on generating Great Leaders have changed since the patch, or are related to the difficulty level, it is NOT true that you can only have one great leader.

In the very first game I played, on Warlord, right after purchasing the the game, I had three Great Leader's generated within about three turns during my conquest of the pesky Aztecs, despite the fact that I hadn't used any of them.

---Unlucky Conquerer
Old January 25, 2002, 19:08   #11
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by saj14saj
Unless the rules (in addition to the odds) on generating Great Leaders have changed since the patch, or are related to the difficulty level, it is NOT true that you can only have one great leader.

In the very first game I played, on Warlord, right after purchasing the the game, I had three Great Leader's generated within about three turns during my conquest of the pesky Aztecs, despite the fact that I hadn't used any of them.

---Unlucky Conquerer
Hmm...well, if so, can I give back Sun Tzu?

I'm playing at Monarch, so there might be a difficulty factor here. 'Twould be nice to hear from someone at Firaxis who really knows (post-patch).
Old January 26, 2002, 03:14   #12
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I believe the patch did change it. I had a time or two with more than one GL prepatch, but not since, playing everyday on all levels. Even in games with more than 6 leaders. I now use them as fast as I can to allow another. It is normal for me to be at war the whole game with a few years off. This is because I attack any settlers that come in sight. Just finished Monarch on small world and was at war from first contact until 1450AD. Three turns later back at war until I eliminated all but one civ. Got them to one city and went to peace until 2050 for max score. Ah magnificent again.
Old January 28, 2002, 10:40   #13
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

I don't play that much, and I play *very slowly* . . . but I just got my third GL in my game as Babylon. Trotted him home and built the FP (to join Sistine and Sun Tzu). So the Persians have been worth 3 GL to me. Of course I'm a tech cripple from all the warfare, but hey...