Old January 22, 2002, 17:34   #1
dubwai
Settler

Local Time: 14:43
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Combat Question
I was recently playing as the Persians and I was attacked by the Egyptians. I was completely decimated by the Egyptians and I don't understand why. I'm not trying to *****, I just hope someone can explain why the following was occuring.

My immortals were no match for their swordsmen. I lost 3 out of 5 battles when I was attacking and almost every battle when they attacked. I thought that immortals were supposed to be special units. When the war began I was very confident.

Clearly there are other factors that I haven't considered. Some guesses are, morale and maybe some kind of wonder.

Does anyone have any info on this?
Old January 22, 2002, 18:57   #2
reds4ever
Prince

Local Time: 20:43
Local Date: October 31, 2010
the immortals are special to your civ thats all, they are 4/2/1 against the swordsmans 3/2/1 better, but only just, if the swordsmen start winning they get promoted, and become more likely to win the next battle and get promoted again etc....

check out this combat calculator and run some figures through it, to get a feel for who tends to beat who.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/attach...=&postid=98337

ps. don't forget the terrian modifiers for defenders
Old January 22, 2002, 23:35   #3
Nideca
Settler

Local Time: 04:43
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: Combat Question
Quote:
My immortals were no match for their swordsmen. I lost 3 out of 5 battles when I was attacking and almost every battle when they attacked. I thought that immortals were supposed to be special units. When the war began I was very confident.

Clearly there are other factors that I haven't considered. Some guesses are, morale and maybe some kind of wonder.

Does anyone have any info on this?

I had the same thing happen to me except I was the Bablyonians. I was just starting my invasion against the Aztecs. The Aztecs responded to the treat of my of invading swordsmen (unstacked) with a one spearman and a conscript warrior (stacked).

** This was the first time I took note of the opposing force. There were no terrain mods. (open grasslands, no roads, no irr). **

At first I ignored them and tried to get around them to get the target city I was going to attack. (mistake!)

The spearman attacked and defeated one swordsman as the others advanced. (ok I thought...just luck but the swordsman was a vet. vs a reg spearman ??) I figured I will get the spearman on the second wave of Longbow men coming in two turns but I had to get my swordsmen to start the seige of the city and seize control of the saltpeter next to it (I just learned Gunpowder and had no access to saltpeter).

To make a long story short that little spearman (stack w/ a conscript warrior who never attacked) wiped out two more of my swordsmen before the longbowmen got him and it took two of them stacked to do it.

As a result, I watched the rest of the battles very carefully. My conclusion was that the stacked units had better odds of winning battles over lone units.

IMHO:
For your next attacks with the immortals stack them with some supporting units and chose your targets carefully.
Lone Immortal vs single swordman = victory for immortal (most of the time).
single Immortal vs stacked swordman = dead immortal(most of the time).

GrandMaster Nideca

Last edited by Nideca; January 23, 2002 at 12:49.