View Poll Results: What do you if you get a crappy starting spot?
Quit, and restart 28 32.18%
Play a couple turns, see how it turns out 40 45.98%
Hell, play it anyway! 19 21.84%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 22, 2002, 19:08   #1
exsanguination
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:43
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What do you if you get a crappy starting spot?
What you do if the game starts you off in the middle of a jungle or a desert, or somethign crappy of the sort?

If you restart, what is the minimum you ask for? I require no disease-causing terrain and not surrounded by mountain/forest - unless I am truly looking for a challenge. Other than that, I erally don't care... but a cow is awful nice next to a capital...
Old January 22, 2002, 19:18   #2
MonsterMan
Warlord

Local Time: 20:43
I require a decent chunk of fertile land, at least enough to get hold of galleys in reasonable time. In my current game I started out on a moderately-sized island, while my main empire actually developed on another continent. There's also a little icy continent to the south that I've settled... interestingly no enemy unit has ever walked on that continent, they must not value fishing-from-tundra at all.
Old January 22, 2002, 22:23   #3
TinCow
Chieftain

I need grassland with a couple hills (or other high-shield squares) and a fresh water source nearby. Unlike may other people though, I like jungle. I love continents full of grassland, and the only way I've figured out how to get this on a regular basis is to play on a wet world and hope for lots of surrounding jungle. I quickly conquer my island or a large share of my continent and then build lots of workers to turn that crappy jungle into beautiful grassland. I always end up with an entire continent of 25-30 pop cities.
Old January 22, 2002, 22:35   #4
Quokka
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:43
Depends. When I was first started I wanted better terrain but now I am beginning to play the higher levels I take what I get more often. The major thing I don't like is a coastal Capital. With corruption as rampant as it is having 1/4 or more of the immediate radius of the capital as sea doesn't work for me. I want to be able to get at least one ring of decent cities around the capital. Once again this depends on the map. This is unlikely on smaller or archipeligo maps. When I get better I will take anything that comes. Challenging games are more fun, at least when you are upto the challenge.
Answer: Quit, Restart
Old January 22, 2002, 22:49   #5
simwiz2
Warlord

definately no jungle, and preferably a nearby "perfect spot" with river, shield grassland, and a hill or two for my second city, so i can get the pyramids and colossus quickly. Of course i only quit if i get a really bad spot, like desert, floodplain, jungle or mountains.

The Simwiz2 Combat Mod Version 2.0 is available for download! See the changes here. You can download it from the CivFanatics Thread or the Apolyton Thread.
Old January 22, 2002, 22:57   #6
Changmai Beagle
Warlord

Local Time: 12:43
Location: Corporate Warlord of the Great White North & Warmer Climes
I haven't got all that far yet, but I generally play until it's clear I'm so far behind I'm toast. But I do keep the good maps to replay.

What I like is some grassland and some hills. I don't mind a coastal capital, especially on a bay so I can get some of the coastal wonders.

What I really value, however, are interesting layouts with some nice strategic pinchpoints and terrain issues. I always go for the young planet to group mountains and deserts, etc.
Old January 22, 2002, 23:58   #7
aebbeka
Civilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEM
King

Local Time: 13:43
The random map generator stinks compared to SMAC and Civ2. I have to restart a dozen times before I get a map where the whole continent is filled with mountains, desert is just to the north and jungle to the south, or on a tiny piece of land that resembles Antarctica.

So you say to continue playing? It will be a challenge? Ha!
Old January 23, 2002, 00:06   #8
moi
Chieftain

i eat bananas when my starting position sucks.
Old January 23, 2002, 00:06   #9
moi
Chieftain

i eat bananas when my starting position sucks.
Old January 23, 2002, 01:26   #10
pauli
Prince

Local Time: 15:43
unless i get a coastal spot with plenty of plains and rivers, i tend to restart. i don't find the game enjoyable otherwise.

and i agree, the map generator is garbage compared to smac and civ2. in those, anything other than an extreme polar spot was playable.

wouldn't be so bad if i could terraform!
Old January 23, 2002, 02:43   #11
MonsterMan
Warlord

I value the inability to terraform. It brings back memories of what my empire used to be in its infancy. Still, I had some ideas in another thread about 'terraforming' to a tile inbetween two, ie light forest tile which can be irrigated but still show the shadow of the olde forest.
Old January 23, 2002, 04:12   #12
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 06:43
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by pauli
and i agree, the map generator is garbage compared to ... civ2.
Youve got to be joking. The Civ 2 map generator couldnt have generated a decent map if its life depended on it!!

EDIT: Typo

Last edited by Skanky Burns; January 24, 2002 at 06:20.
Old January 23, 2002, 04:23   #13
Atahualpa
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Latin Lovers
Emperor

A game with a biting start position is on the other hand much more of a challenge. Because I guess then you are glad that the AI is "dumb".
If however you look for a game where you will be the king right from the start the game is much less of a challenge.

Plus, tundra and desert are perfect places for oil!! I always have some cities in unihabitable terrain just because there might be oil. Desert is also place for salpeter. And in jungle there is rubber.

ata
Old January 23, 2002, 04:55   #14
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

I think the random map generator is good. Maps are balanced and look realistic. And a vehement NO! to the Civ2/CtP-like terraforming.

My only condition to play or not to play a starting position is: I hate to have my capitol at the coast (or the coast is in sight). It has to be at least 3-4 tiles away. So I play a few turns and quit if I am too close.
Old January 23, 2002, 05:37   #15
kittenOFchaos
Prince

I will find someone else's empire and take it...
Old January 23, 2002, 06:08   #16
s3d
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:43
He, he. In my mod I have early hidden nationality unit (raider 2.1.2 wheeled 6 shields), and if I feel I'm in disadvantage I just grab couple of AI's poor defended cities without declaring war. If I have good start I just don't use them.
Old January 23, 2002, 08:32   #17
ratbert9
Settler

Local Time: 19:43
Just because you have a bad starting position, that does not mean that the civ next to you also has a bad starting position.
Old January 23, 2002, 21:33   #18
Thrawn05
King

Well, I thought I was on a good spot, my capital had three cows in the city zone. But as my civ's boarders developed, it turns out I had no coal and no rubber, but the one civ I boarder had three coals and two rubbers and the jerk Cleo wouldn't trade with me! And the coal and rubber were a too far to waist time in a war. I had to dump my idea for a space win and just win by diplomacy.
Old January 23, 2002, 21:37   #19
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Youve got to be jocking. The Civ 2 map generator couldnt have generated a decent map if its life depended on it!!
If you thought that was bad, try Civ for the super nintendo! I was stuck on a 5 tile island!!!
Old January 24, 2002, 04:52   #20
kittenOFchaos
Prince

The "Colonisation" map maker took the biscuit...for the purposes of enjoyment the real world map was the only one I played. The map maker in colonisation poorly allocated terrain types so that you rarely had more than 3 squares of the same terrain in a colony and the indian tribes were virtually always on most of the land, so hindering development and exploration.
Old January 24, 2002, 19:49   #21
Qilue
King

Local Time: 05:43
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Last game I played (Egypt, warm, wet, 5 billion, monarch), I was alone on this huge continent where the terrain was about 30% plains, 15% desert, 50% jungle with a scattering of other types. I almost restarted after seeing what I had to develope, but decided to perservere.

My first stealth bomber rolled off the production lines in 1784 and the spaceship launched in 1880 (I wasn't really in a hurry). Final score - 8485.

The moral? Sometimes, what looks like iron pyrites can turn out to be gold.