Old January 23, 2002, 14:41   #1
Natrunner
Settler

Local Time: 11:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I'm done!
This game is fantastic BUT when my tanks even when stacked are destroyed by bowmen and my battleships are sunk by ironclads it is a BIG irritation. Until this is fixed by Firaxis through a patch, I will set this game aside. I've been playing this game since the very first Civ and I have never been so angry. What's the use of even starting a new game when the same will happen again. I have to many other great games than to waste my time on a flawed combat model. See you guys later.
Old January 23, 2002, 14:46   #2
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 12:45
here's a fanboy argument.

Well leaders can't live 6000 years so the game obviously isn't realistic.

therefore it is perfectly acceptable that an ironclad (which never even sailed the open seas) can destroy a battleship.
Old January 23, 2002, 14:48   #3
Libertarian
King

Local Time: 14:45
Did you try the editor?
Old January 23, 2002, 14:49   #4
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 15:45
It is, therefore, highly unlikely you will ever play Civ III again. Why? Because the combat system was a deliberate design choice, and will not be patched, so far as I know. There are those that hate it, and those that love it, and those that just accept it. You are clearly one of the former, and there are many on this forum who agree. Play, don't play... hey, do whatever you want.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old January 23, 2002, 15:47   #5
SirSchwa
Settler

AI
What difficulty level were you playing when these situations occurred? The AI is given more of an advantage by decreasing your advantages when difficulty increases - that's what makes the game more difficult. I think this is not so much an issue with Civ3 as it is with AI in general. This type of situation, spearmen defeating battleships and the like, has been happening since Civ1. It has improved greatly since then and is a rare occurrence on games that I play on Civ3.
Another situation to consider is that more than just the hitponts for a unit is considered in a battle. There are terrain factors, empire power, empire morale, and historic factors that must be considered for the probability of a victory. Example, I had 2 veteran musketmen defending an isolated city defeated by an Aztec archer on a mountain who didn't loose a single hitpoint. Of course this led me into a rant of unrealistic AI's, game play, etc. but calmed down and realized that this was a realistic defeat. I ended up gaining the city back culturally anyway, woohoo!
Old January 23, 2002, 16:01   #6
Natrunner
Settler

Local Time: 11:45
sorry for the outburst
I just hate it when I am the most powerful and the AI makes me look like a complete idiot. I am sure you guys understand. I was playing on regeant level. Though it is not the hardest level, I still find it challenging. Yes, I will continue to play but I guess I will just have to change my strategy a bit. It is still my favorite game.
Old January 23, 2002, 16:53   #7
Allemand
Warlord

Local Time: 19:45
That might have been Rambo shooting those arrows.
Old January 23, 2002, 18:10   #8
ACooper
Prince

Local Time: 13:45
I still haven't had anything like this happen to me yet and I've played 14 1/2 games. (I'm trying to go through each civ.) Maybe I'm just lucky.

I can see how it could happen. Using the present formula for combat a tank could lose to a warrior even though the odds are way against it.
Old January 23, 2002, 22:41   #9
Ironikinit
Prince

I did lose a battleship once when attacking an ironclad, but you lost a tank to a bowman? When you say the tanks were stacked, it sounds like the bowman attacked the tanks.

If you want to know something truly unrealistic thing about the game, Dissident, it's that a disgruntled loon such as yourself would be put in charge of any organization larger than a bathroom cleaning detail on the second shift at McDonald's.

You've admitted you're only here to be obnoxious. Did you not get enough attention as a child?
Old January 23, 2002, 22:46   #10
TheHobbit
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:45
Quote:
Originally posted by Ironikinit
I did lose a battleship once when attacking an ironclad, but you lost a tank to a bowman? When you say the tanks were stacked, it sounds like the bowman attacked the tanks.

If you want to know something truly unrealistic thing about the game, Dissident, it's that a disgruntled loon such as yourself would be put in charge of any organization larger than a bathroom cleaning detail on the second shift at McDonald's.

You've admitted you're only here to be obnoxious. Did you not get enough attention as a child?
Stop stop no no, your killin me!!!!

Its funny how everyone seems to run into problems but me. I guess I'm just dang lucky
Old January 23, 2002, 22:54   #11
MonsterMan
Warlord

Local Time: 20:45
As long as the player can fix things in the editor more to his liking, why scream at Firaxis to change the whole game??

They were very nice to give us the option to alter the rules if we didn't agree with them.

So go into the editor and increase the defensive value of the battleship if you want. Give boats more movement points if you want. Increase the hit points of conscript/regular/veteran/elite units if you want. Just stop whining, dammit

Old January 23, 2002, 22:59   #12
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 15:45
Quote:
a bathroom cleaning detail on the second shift at McDonald's
Well, I put in my application for the promotion. Hope I get it before Dissident does!

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old January 24, 2002, 04:27   #13
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 21:45
Re: I'm done!
Quote:
Originally posted by Natrunner
my tanks even when stacked are destroyed by bowmen and my battleships are sunk by ironclads it is a BIG irritation.
1) units in a stack but not in an army dont have any effect on their abilities. this isnt ctp
2) how many bowmen did that tank kill before being killed?
Old January 24, 2002, 04:51   #14
steelehc
Prince

Local Time: 10:45
Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
an ironclad (which never even sailed the open seas) can destroy a battleship.
I cannot resist. Ironclads did indeed sail the open seas. Between the end of the American Civil War, and the 1900s, the primary warship for all naval powers was the ironclad battleship. However, monitor warships, like the ones in the game did not sail the seas. They were in fact called river monitors.

Steele

PS:Sorry about this, but I am a history buff, and very picky.
Old January 24, 2002, 14:12   #15
SirSchwa
Settler

Personally, I like the fact that the AI sometimes beats you when you have superior attacking forces. That just makes it all the more gratifying when you finally destroy them. If you don't eventually destroy them, ever consider the possibility of lowering the difficulty level of the game? I think a lot of people are complaining just because the game is more difficult at the same level than it was in the previous Civs.
Old January 24, 2002, 14:18   #16
Libertarian
King

"Lord, my load is heavy." — Lily Tomlin