Old January 24, 2002, 23:50   #1
mactbone
Prince

Local Time: 14:48
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Who else visits the "official forum"?
I've seen Che and HisMajestyBob there, anyone else visit there?

BTW, how many games have you played of EU2?

I've had it for like 3 weeks and I'm in 1628 or so and I'm England. In my first and only GC so far.
-Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"
mactbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2002, 00:05   #2
Kyle
Prince

Local Time: 15:48
I've been visiting since 2000, registered in Jan. 2001. I usually slum the Off Topic forum.

I've played about a half dozen EU2 games. I always play at high speed, so they go by a bit more quickly.

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2002, 08:24   #3
mactbone
Prince

Poly has the only OT I visit...

How does it work wjen you go so fast? Don'y you get massive rebellions and such? Even when I have 1 month = 1 minute I end up pausing it a lot.

What's the best way to get a CB? I usually have to wait for random events to give me a decent one, most of the time they give me one against some pissant far away country, like Navaho or Hessen.
Old January 25, 2002, 11:45   #4
Kyle
Prince

I set realistic goals for myself, so I don't get overwhelmed. I pause a lot, sure, but it takes several months to take a city, so if rebellions pop up, I have plenty of time to take care of them.

To get CB, you can always claim their throne and get a temporary CB. But really though, sometimes you just have to take the stability hit. Or just get into really large alliances; they tend to fight a lot.

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2002, 12:15   #5
mactbone
Prince

Hehe, as Protestant England most people hate me and I can't have hardly any Royal Marriages, so right now I'm partnered with Sweden and Lithuania. Oh boy, fighting the Dutch, again. That's all they ever want to do. At least I took the stab hits and reduced the Creek, Cherokee, and the other southern Nation to one province, and beat up Lenape. An 800+ COT is very good. Hehe, I have three COTs, one in Anglia, one in Lenape, and one in my colony, Bourban. I had just plopped a colony there and got a COT, I couldn't believe it!
Old January 25, 2002, 12:47   #6
uglyduck
Warlord

Local Time: 19:48
Re: Who else visits the "official forum"?
Quote:
Originally posted by MacTBone
I've seen Che and HisMajestyBob there, anyone else visit there?

BTW, how many games have you played of EU2?

I've had it for like 3 weeks and I'm in 1628 or so and I'm England. In my first and only GC so far.
You mean that you havent seen me there?

http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/
uglyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2002, 13:16   #7
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Nice one, Mr. Duck.

I'm over htere sometimes, or at least I pretend to be....
Old January 25, 2002, 14:08   #8
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

I am registered there, and take a look from time to time but rarely post anything.

Do It Ourselves
General Ludd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2002, 15:47   #9
mactbone
Prince

I didn't know you were over here!
Old January 25, 2002, 17:50   #10
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

/me waves his hands
EU2 is fun to play! Yay!
Old January 26, 2002, 05:44   #11
Jeje2
Prince

Local Time: 21:48
I visit the official site every now and then.
Have even some postings there, but it just doesn't feel like Apolyton.
(Maybe it's the black colours or maybe it's just that Apolyton is my home on the internnet bulletinboards - I follow also several news-groups.)

Haven't played EU2 sofar - It's not available in Finland yet.
Jeje2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2002, 12:41   #12
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 20:48
I'm registered as Big Crunch, but hardly ever post there.

Maybe when EU2 comes out and I am more in the "mood".
Old January 28, 2002, 14:43   #13
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

More of a lurker over there (dipping my toe in the water... the water feels nice)

More of a poster over here.
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
hexagonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2002, 16:26   #14
dojoboy
Mac
Prince

Uh, excuse me?
Sorry to bust in like this, but does anyone know if EUII is going to ported for mac?

Where is this other "official" site?
dojoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2002, 20:35   #15
mactbone
Prince

I have no idea.
The forum is here
It's hosted by Paradox... I think... maybe...
Old January 29, 2002, 02:02   #16
uglyduck
Warlord

Re: Uh, excuse me?
Quote:
Originally posted by dojoboy
Sorry to bust in like this, but does anyone know if EUII is going to ported for mac?

Where is this other "official" site?
I am sorry but there are no plans for a Mac version at the moment.

Old January 29, 2002, 02:06   #17
uglyduck
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by MacTBone
I have no idea.
The forum is here
It's hosted by Paradox... I think... maybe...
It is indeed hosted by Paradox Entertainment. A little unusual for a Developer to host the official site. It is usually done by the Publishers. However Paradox are a little unusual......
The site is very friendly - flame wars, personal attacks etc are not tolerated and all your questions will be answered with good grace and good humour.
I help Administer it and keep it a nice, fun place to be

Old January 29, 2002, 21:48   #18
Shadowstrike
Emperor

And they have people with faster posting times then a semi-automatic weapon!
Old January 31, 2002, 10:24   #19
WFHermans
Chieftain

uglyduck wrote:
Quote:
The site is very friendly - flame wars,
personal attacks etc are not tolerated and all your questions will be answered with good grace and good humour.
In the www.europa-universalis.com forum about Freedom of Speech (I was for it) I had to endure a lot of personal attacks from the moderators themselves. (Check it out yourself if you dont believe me, look for freedom of speech.) I never responded, then the moderators banned me. Presumably because I didnt indulge in personal attacks? They never gave a reason.
Being banned means not only that I cannot post but also that I cannot read the forum, including information on patches, rules etc for which I paid. Anyway I advise everyone not to pay to the Paradox thieves but get a free copy of their game and give away copies you paid for. Hitting those rip-off artists where it hurts (namely their wallets) is the only way to stop them from charging money without delivering the goods.
WFHermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2002, 14:41   #20
SideshowBob
Settler

I visit the official forum, but then i don't really visit this forum.

I only came here to read a thread that was linked to from EU forum. Even now i only post in the EU section, but i am waiting for MOO3 so thought i might join for when that comes out.
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2002, 18:06   #21
Mordoch
Chieftain

I would not listen to WF Hermans because he is clearly not being truthful about whatever he did to get banned from the forums. I don't know exactly what he did, but I can say with great confidence from my experience there that merely taking a position on free speach would not get anyone banned from the forums.

On the second comment all I have to say is that Hermans has clearly got an axe to grind, probably because he got banned from the forums due to his behavior, and is not giving a remotely fair assessment of Paradox. Based on all my experience as both a player and closed beta tester for Paradox, they are a very dedicated gaming company who have created remarkable historical strategy games in EU1 and EU2. They are certainly deserving of being compensated for the products they have produced and I am personally offended when any individual advocates pirating the games they have developed.
Mordoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2002, 21:07   #22
MOHonor
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by WFHermans
uglyduck wrote:

In the www.europa-universalis.com forum about Freedom of Speech (I was for it) I had to endure a lot of personal attacks from the moderators themselves. (Check it out yourself if you dont believe me, look for freedom of speech.) I never responded, then the moderators banned me. Presumably because I didnt indulge in personal attacks? They never gave a reason.
Being banned means not only that I cannot post but also that I cannot read the forum, including information on patches, rules etc for which I paid. Anyway I advise everyone not to pay to the Paradox thieves but get a free copy of their game and give away copies you paid for. Hitting those rip-off artists where it hurts (namely their wallets) is the only way to stop them from charging money without delivering the goods.
Another yin26 theory bites the dust.
MOHonor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2002, 02:20   #23
uglyduck
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Mordoch
I would not listen to WF Hermans because he is clearly not being truthful about whatever he did to get banned from the forums. I don't know exactly what he did, but I can say with great confidence from my experience there that merely taking a position on free speach would not get anyone banned from the forums.

On the second comment all I have to say is that Hermans has clearly got an axe to grind, probably because he got banned from the forums due to his behavior, and is not giving a remotely fair assessment of Paradox. Based on all my experience as both a player and closed beta tester for Paradox, they are a very dedicated gaming company who have created remarkable historical strategy games in EU1 and EU2. They are certainly deserving of being compensated for the products they have produced and I am personally offended when any individual advocates pirating the games they have developed.
Thank you.
Because of my position I could not really reply to his post myself. All I can say now is that he was banned by a very High Paradox Director and *not* the Admins or Mods. That was a very unusual task for them to undertake........

Old February 1, 2002, 03:38   #24
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 03:48
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Anyway I advise everyone not to pay to the Paradox thieves but get a free copy of their game and give away copies you paid for. Hitting those rip-off artists where it hurts (namely their wallets) is the only way to stop them from charging money without delivering the goods.
Um. That had better be about as far as you go with that line lest you receive a ban on this site also...
ravagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2002, 07:35   #25
WFHermans
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by uglyduck

Because of my position I could not really reply to his post myself. All I can say now is that he was banned by a very High Paradox Director and *not* the Admins or Mods.
I appreciate this info, its the first time I hear some more about the ban. It keeps me from blaming the wrong people instead of Paradox itself. I am happy to hear it was not the gamers themselves that caused the ban. Also keep in mind that the ban means I cannot even post or *read* about purely game oriented matters in the EU forum.

Simply check out the freedom of speech thread (which they closed, but the text was still there when I looked last time) if you dont believe me mr Mordoch and compare what I wrote with what some Mods wrote.

I certainly have an axe to grind with any company that doesnt deliver the goods a custumer paid for. How would you feel if you paid for a game, but the manual is not included? And what else can a customer do than not buy anything from Paradox in the future?
Old February 1, 2002, 10:02   #26
SideshowBob
Settler

I am a long time member of the offical Paradox forums, i have nearly 400 posts and never once have i had a warning, ban or any other such thing. The forum is a friendly place where all are welcome. The forum rules are very clearly laid down, particularly in regard to anti Jewish issues, this is because Paradox is a Sweedish company and as the site is hosted from Sweeden they must abide by Sweedish laws, especially on this particular issue.

The use of a forum is not a right which people get just because they have purchased the game, and someone who is banned would still be able to download any offical patches from the distributors site, in this case strategy first.

Out of interest i went and read the thread in question and having done that I can say that i am in full agreement with Paradox's actions in the banning of Mr Hermans.

I have also got EU1 and EU2 and have found that over the time i have had both games Paradox has been one of the most helpful games companies i have come accross, always ready to take advice and listen to their fans, and in many cases implementing suggested changes/improvements in later patches.

The idea that Paradox are in some way ripping the customer off i find ludicrous in the extreme. In fact i don't think i have ever had a computer game where if you divide the number of playing hours which i have spent, by the cost of the game it has worked out so cheap.
Old February 1, 2002, 11:58   #27
WFHermans
Chieftain

Thanks for the strategyfirst link. At least I can still get the patches! Paradox aint all bad, they dont cheat all of their customers all of the time, i am glad they served you well and i also only had good experiences with their official forum when i was still there.
Strange how this "Sweedish" law, as you call it (what Swedish law exactly?), forces Paradox to ban evil jewbashers like me from merely READING their forum. And at the same time the evil anti-jewish text still seems to be online because you just read it.

Actually when you read well you only will have noticed people accusing me from being anti-jewish. I believe in freedom of speech for everyone including antisemites and if some peabrained individual thinks that therefore i am one. fine.

I gather from your spelling that you are not a native speaker. Neither were the Paradox people and i assume that caused much misunderstanding.

I hate to repeat myself but i am afraid you dont understand my gripe with Paradox, so again: Acces to the forum is promised by Paradox, it says so on the box and in advertisments. Customers paid for that forum. Paradox also included other than purely gamerelated forums on their site. I didnt ask for that, but fine. Now when someone makes in those other forums any statement illegal under "Sweedish" law then all the Paradox guys have to do is simply remove that statement! And a friendly warning that such statements are not appreciated. Instead, they barred me from posting gamerelated questions, and also from READING info about rules, installation, changes etc. And THAT IS RIPPING OFF CUSTOMERS.
Old February 1, 2002, 14:24   #28
uglyduck
Warlord

Quote:

I appreciate this info, its the first time I hear some more about the ban. It keeps me from blaming the wrong people instead of Paradox itself. I am happy to hear it was not the gamers themselves that caused the ban. Also keep in mind that the ban means I cannot even post or *read* about purely game oriented matters in the EU forum.
Moderators have *never* been able to ban people from the Paradox Forums.
Only the Admins (BiB and myself) can - plus, of course Patric and Johan (but they now leave it to us).
I would like to point out that it the 2 years that the Site has been active only 8 people have ever been banned.
Freedom of Speech and Games forums do not go together Inflammatory or provocative posts will not be tolerated on the Paradox Forums. That is a rule I made since your ban and after I was made an Administrator. The line is drawn and it works well.
Now to your *real* complaint - that you cannot even read the forums. This must mean that you are IP banned. This is not usually done when banning someone. As I said a Paradox Director did the ban and probably went overboard.
Please contact me on uglyduck_uk@hotmail.com and I may, depending on your response to my questions, be able to help you gain reading access to the forums.

Old February 1, 2002, 14:53   #29
SideshowBob
Settler

Quote:

I gather from your spelling that you are not a native speaker. Neither were the Paradox people and i assume that caused much misunderstanding.
What you can gather from my spelling is that i have trouble with spelling, (something of which i aware) and if i am not typing quickly on the net i will check it whenever i am not sure of something. For the sake of speed and easy typing i often make a best guess when replying in forums and the like.

As for misunderstanding your posts the links to certain web sites were very out of order. I know the web is a free place but until you made those links i would never have known that such places exsisted, and i think i was was better off for not knowing thank you very much.

Anyway i don't want to get into a flame war with you, and i hope that you and Uglyduck can come to an argeement which will get you reading access of the forum. I just think its a little unfair that someone who tried to push the rules to the very limit and got burned as a result, is now trying to put others off what is a very good games forum.
Old February 1, 2002, 16:36   #30
WFHermans
Chieftain

Finally some facts and some answers! So i was banned because of rules that were made public after i was banned.

mr Sideshow, i apologise for exposing your innocent eyes to evil links and the even more evil information they contain. but in all fairness i must add that its your own responsability what you click. i advise you to install Netnanny.

mr uglyduck, thank you for giving me information about this banning. i was in the www.europa-universalis.com Freedom of speech thread not the originator but the target of "inflammatory or provocative posts". to be IP-banned, then, because of some Swede's bad command of the english language is not very helpful. from your answer you seem to be honest about it and if my IP ban has been caused by some bigwig high up the Paradox corporate ladder i wont blame you.
I will send you an email and no matter how this matter ends i want to make it clear that EU2 is a great game and that the Forum devoted to it served me excellently until i got banned with no reason given until now.
And i will post in this thread how the matter was resolved. Stay tuned.