Old January 26, 2002, 02:46   #1
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Local Time: 07:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Captialism II demo
The Capitalism II demo is out right here.

Last edited by The Rusty Gamer; March 30, 2002 at 04:02.
Old February 1, 2002, 02:36   #2
Rex Little
Prince

Local Time: 19:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I downloaded it, tried to run the cap2demo.exe file, and got a message which said "This program is used internally by PackageFromTheWeb. It should not be executed directly." Any idea what I'm supposed to do?
Old February 1, 2002, 20:28   #3
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Don't know to be honest, I had bought the full game before I saw the demo link.
Old February 2, 2002, 00:38   #4
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 03:51
I think that means they put the wrong program up for downloading.
Old February 2, 2002, 16:24   #5
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 22:51
I'm errrr buying the game now.
It should arrive by tommorow. I remember the original Capitalism, great game.
Old February 6, 2002, 22:20   #6
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

Local Time: 14:51
That was the one with the marketing charts and the split screen, right? And all the scenarios for taking down business rivals? Nice to know they made a sequel to a fairly interesting title. How's it play, Rusty?
Old February 10, 2002, 10:43   #7
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

After an unexpected delay in the delivery, I got the game.

I'm learning it now, and in my current game I have a monopoly on the Bottled Milk!
And still I constatly run out of money.
Old February 10, 2002, 16:26   #8
Eli
Emperor

After five or six bankruptucies(****ing word) I got the hang of it.
The smartest thing I did was buying 25% of the stocks of each of my rivals at prices ranging from 10$ to 20$. Now their prices are 2000$-4000$ and my tiny corporation(two stores, 1 r&d and 5 commercial and residential buildings) has more than 10billion bucks in stocks and 3billion in hard cash and my networth is 2 times bigger than the networth of the other two competitors(with tens of their factories, farms and stores) together.
Personally I have 4billion$ and 9 mansions.

Now, let's buy the media!
Old February 10, 2002, 17:24   #9
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:51
Man, that is one slow DL. 6-7Kps? What the hell are they using at the other end, dial ups?

I'll think I'll wait until their server isn't so overloaded. You'd think they'd arrange for a mirror site or two, but I guess that would've been too complicated.
Old February 11, 2002, 01:42   #10
Eli
Emperor

Are there any Cap2 communities or something? I have lots of questions.
Old February 13, 2002, 15:30   #11
John D Ward
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:51
How much does Capitalism 2 differ from Caplitalism? Are the differences enough to make it good value for money?
Old February 13, 2002, 16:05   #12
Eli
Emperor

Dont bother, unless you're a real fan of the game.
Old February 21, 2002, 11:18   #13
The Andy-Man
Prince

Local Time: 19:51
they made a sequel

when it out in the UK, failing that, where is ther site?
Old February 21, 2002, 14:57   #14
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 13:51
It's from Ubi Soft. The demo includes a few scenarios, I think...
Old March 14, 2002, 21:44   #15
Jules
Warlord

Local Time: 14:51
What's this, you can't manufacture beer????

(note: not talking about the demo, recently bought the full version)
Old March 16, 2002, 00:40   #16
Zkribbler
Deity

Local Time: 12:51
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
What's this, you can't manufacture beer????

(note: not talking about the demo, recently bought the full version)
Nope. Only wine (grapes + glass)

I think it's a mistake building research centers early in the game. They're expensive and lack short-term ROI. The first two years--when you have no brand recognition and sales are slow--are the most dangerous.

I've developed the tactic of using the range-brand stategy. I begin by looking over the industial seaports to see what raw materials are available, building some factories to assemble an entire class of products (such as apparel [leather jackets, jeans and sweaters]), and then building specialty stores to sell them. That way, I get a profit from the manufacturing and another from the retail. A media link in the middle of the store builds up brand recognition. After about two years of conservative play, the red ink turns black, and I'm ready to invest in research.

Oh yeah, stay away from growing crops early. It takes forever for them to grow to maturity, and all the time your paying out salaries and operating costs. If and when I do grow crops, I build seven fields around a centralized inventory square, with one peripheral square used for sales. That seems to be able to extend the availability of the corps until the next cycle.

(I can't compare Cap II to Cap I 'cause I never played Cap I.)

Last edited by Zkribbler; March 22, 2002 at 10:58.
Old March 21, 2002, 13:52   #17
Eli
Emperor

I usualy start with building 2-4 retail stores in every city and selling only stuff imported from seaports. After 2-3 years I get annual profit of 150-300 million dollars, depends on how big the cities you get are(I play with 4 cities and 4 competitors).
Building all this rarely costs more than 50 million $, and I invest almost everything I have left in buying 25-40% of all my competitors while their stock price in 10-20$. In the long range, their stock prices increases to hundreds and even thousands so by year 10-15 the 50 million I invested become 10 billion and more. At this point, if I dont have enough money from profit, I sell stocks worth of 1-2 billion because I want to always have enough hard cash to recover from everything unexpected.

Anyway, after I have large enough annual profit I do what Zkribbler said, and start growing, producing and researching stuff on my own.
Old March 22, 2002, 11:01   #18
Zkribbler
Deity

By the way, has anybody found a way to make owning apartments and commercial buildings worthwhile?

It seems to take about a year after you build them for them to start turning a profit, and then the profits seems to top out at about 10%.
Old March 22, 2002, 13:50   #19
Eli
Emperor

How do I improve the quality of my livestock? All my Frozen Beefs, Porks, Eggs etc have quality of 30 and it doesnt change, despite the high training those farms have.

And another problem I noticed is that while my quality for these products is much lower than the city average, thanks to brand and price the overall rating is 10-15 higher than the average and despite the fact that there are no other competitors the best market share I can get is 10-15%. The rest is white.
Why is that? My products are better, overall(and this is what really matters) and still almost no one buys them.
Old March 22, 2002, 20:39   #20
Zkribbler
Deity

Eli, I think I've found the answers to your questions.

"Some products, such as frozen meat, are very difficult to apply a brand to because they lack differentiating features. Consumers generally buy based on quality and price with little concern for the brand name." (User Manual, pg. 111.)

"Livestock products quality is consistent among different farms. The quality does increase, however, as a farm acculmulates experience. A farm with with higher unit levels produces better-quality livestock products." (User Manual, pg. 113.)

Thus, it looks like you have to crank up that little thermomenter thingy on each farm and wait for time to increase your quality.
--Or is that what you meant by "high training"?

Now, all I have to do is figure out how I can put out the best quality car on the market but still wind up with a product loyalty so low that it cancels out my high brand recognition.
Old March 23, 2002, 02:40   #21
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
And another problem I noticed is that while my quality for these products is much lower than the city average, thanks to brand and price the overall rating is 10-15 higher than the average and despite the fact that there are no other competitors the best market share I can get is 10-15%. The rest is white.
Why is that? My products are better, overall(and this is what really matters) and still almost no one buys them.
It's not simply a matter of overall rating, sometimes the individual elements are more important. Check and see which are more important for the city. If, for instance, price is very important but you have a high price, it may not matter if you have better quality and brand recognition and an overall better rating, they still won't buy it.
Old March 23, 2002, 08:32   #22
Eli
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Zkribbler
Thus, it looks like you have to crank up that little thermomenter thingy on each farm and wait for time to increase your quality.
--Or is that what you meant by "high training"?
This is what I meant, but I played for only a year so probably the unit levels never had the time to increase.

Quote:
Now, all I have to do is figure out how I can put out the best quality car on the market but still wind up with a product loyalty so low that it cancels out my high brand recognition.
I never had luck with cars and motorcycles. Plenty of sales, but still all the shops selling them are in heavy loses.

The Rusty Gamer:
Quote:
It's not simply a matter of overall rating, sometimes the individual elements are more important. Check and see which are more important for the city. If, for instance, price is very important but you have a high price, it may not matter if you have better quality and brand recognition and an overall better rating, they still won't buy it.
I was sure that overall rating is the "sum" of the 3 other ratings, depending on their importance for each product. At least this is what I understood from the tutorial.
So if the brand, the price and the quality have 33% importance, I can cancel out a low brand with very high quality or very low price.