Old January 26, 2002, 08:25   #1
kailhun
Warlord

Local Time: 19:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Switch to republic?
In civ2 I used to head for republic as soon as possible, but in civ3 I tend to stay in monarchy untill I can become a democracy.
Rep. doesn't have military police so that you have to waste workers on entertainment, I've edited corruption so that it is little problem even under monarchy (although rep. would probably improve matters) and no free support. Rep. also has war weariness and at this stage wars break out frequently with no way to end them as the AI refuses to talk to you. I consider drafting next to useless, so basically all I'm missing is the extra commerce (which is reduced by workers having to be moved into entertainment). I don't see the advantage of a republic.
Am I wrong?

Robert
Old January 26, 2002, 12:27   #2
Argos65987
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 14:51
I don't always use republic but I have. I find that the bonus for me (commerce) tends to give me a larger scientific lead over the enemy than I can get by staying monarchy. I also haven't had too much trouble fighting wars as rep (although monarchy is easier) as I try to make wars as short as possible by setting goals and stopping after I have achieved them (resource or whatever).
Old January 26, 2002, 13:36   #3
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 20:51
I don't see any use for monarchy at all in civ3. Despotism is just too powerful for war-mongering (or even for infrastructure rushing if you're not militaristically minded). By the time your early war-mongering is over and you have enough pop to switch to a representative govt demo is probably available. If not republic provides a useful transitory govt (if you are religious; if not wait for demo). Rushing out of despotism is IMO a civ2 reflex.
Old January 26, 2002, 14:45   #4
Boracks
Warlord

Local Time: 15:51

I will research one or the other but not both. Generally, I go for republic and skip monarchy. Mind you, I tend to play a more peaceful, developemental game (I let the other guy start the wars) so republic is more useful.
Old January 28, 2002, 15:34   #5
Archaetus
Settler

Local Time: 13:51
I head straight for republic every game. I also haven't even attempted a "world-domination" victory since Civ I so I'm probably a bit biased. The extra commerce and production is nice, although the unit cost can be hard to handle. I always keep a large military just in case someone feels they need to attack me, or if a Civ has put a city too darn close to mine, and the cost of maintaining units can sometimes be bigger than the increase in commerce.

What is the best govt for warring by the way?
Old January 28, 2002, 15:55   #6
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 20:51
Despotism early, commie when you have it, maybe despotism again at some point.
Old January 28, 2002, 17:08   #7
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 15:51
I go strait for republic, but that is just part of my playing style. I play peaceful builder until I'm good and strong, and then I start killing people off. I find that republic hinders this not at all, provided you do it right, while providing high commerce (which translates into a good tech rate). In fact, republic is a pretty solid warmongering government if you have the right wonders and a good number of luxuries (the latter often acquired through the aforementioned warmongering).

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old January 28, 2002, 17:16   #8
bloodysmurf
Settler

Local Time: 19:51
Quote:
Originally posted by Archaetus
What is the best govt for warring by the way?
I'd have to agree with DrSpike. The Despotism pop-rush creates an unstoppable war machine. I'd be astonished if this wasn't toned down in the next patch.

-ollie-