Old January 26, 2002, 15:42   #1
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 13:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What units should go in an army?
I have built several armies over the many games that I played but my armies don't seem very strong. I expected that an army would be much better than the same units unstacked, but I don't see much difference. They either lose or still take lots of damage whereby I wonder if a single unit would have done much differently.

So what is the best combo for armies? Is it best to put all offensive units together, all defensive or a mix?
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old January 26, 2002, 15:49   #2
Aeson
Emperor

Local Time: 13:52
The most important use for an army is to win a battle so that the Heroic Epic can be built. I like to put 1 Knight in my first Army if they are available, or 3 Horsemen if not. Units in Armies cannot be upgraded, and that is why I'd only put in as many units as you feel would safely win a fight. It is best not to mix unit types, as different movement rates will use the lowest rate for the movement of the Army.
Old January 26, 2002, 16:09   #3
barefootbadass
Prince

Local Time: 19:52
Well, after you have heroic epic and you have enough high production cities to no longer need your leaders for wonders, you should put infantry type units in it, 4 of them if you have the pentagon, all veteran or elite if you don't need leaders anymore. This will save you some headache moving large numbers of defensive units and they function almost exactly the same(actually the ai fears attacking them, so it may be better). Do not put ofensive units in the army, you are just reducing your number of attacks if you do that, and if they are mobile, you have low risk of losing them anyway(except vs. mech infantry).

Before this point in the game I would follow Aeson's advice.