Old January 28, 2002, 11:02   #1
Rosacrux
Warlord

Local Time: 19:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The Ancient Times mod - Help Wanted
*Attention* the same thread shall be started in the "Creation" forum - Mods please be so kind and let the double be until we get things rolling (or not) and then you can close it down. Thank you.

I was thinking of an interesting modification for Civ3. A all-ancient mediteranean (and surrounding, like middle east-fertile crescent) mod. It would be rather interesting and also very fond to those who like the ancient civilizations.

But... it's a biggie. Actually not one I could carry on, since my time (devoted to anything but my work and my wife) is quite limited. So, I am looking for people who like this idea and care to join an effort to actually make a workable Ancient Times mod.

There are numerous issues - which civilizations to include, work on cities, leaders, heros and then the big one about the artwork... huh, so many things to do...

But we could work with some of the included civs (Greeks, Roman, Babylonian, Egypt, India and Persian are there, with some flaws but nothing that can't be corrected - as Indias leader of course should change) and add more by ourselves.

Like... ok, let's see. A good line-up for the ancient med/middle east would be:

- Rome
- Greece
- Egypt
- Babylon
- Persia
- India
- Karthago (and/or Phoenicia)
- Celts
- Hebrew
- Skythes
- Gauls (yes, they are Celts too...)
- Nubians
- Assyrian
- Hittites
- Ethiopians
- Etruscii

More suggestions: Illyrians, Thracians, Ionian Greeks, Italian Greeks, Medes, Parthians, Macedonian Greeks, Molloses - there are hundreds of civs we could use.

Alright, I am trying to lure some people into this project. If you like it, post here and we can discuss it.

Thanks

Rosacrux
Old January 28, 2002, 13:47   #2
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 21:52
Rosacrux: Of course I help you, I have time, as no one seems to want making the Artwork for the Extra Pack
Maybe if you lure some artwork guy, we can share him

OK, some suggestions for the Civs to use. That mainly depends on the map that is planned to be used. If it ends somewhere in southern egypt or Nubia, there's no need to include the Ethiopians for example.
Anyhow, I'll just post my fav. 16 civs:

-Romans
-Celts
-Etruscans
-Greeks
-Minoans
-Lydians
-Hittites
-Hebrews
-Assyrians
-Babylonians
-Persians
-Sogdians, Bactrians or Tocharians
-Indians
-Carthaginians/Phoenicians
-Egyptians
-Nubians

some more suggestions to think about: Armenians, Nabateans/Arabs, Phrygians, Hurritians
Old January 28, 2002, 14:00   #3
Rosacrux
Warlord

Let's get things going
Thanks Wernazuma, we allways need another history buff to help out, and I find your suggestions for the civs better than mine. We could start off with this - which civs to include - here on the "Civs" forum and also talk about attributes and UUs (and leaders, and heros, and city names and... gosh, the list is endless) and over at the "Creation" forum we can talk about the general modification (techs, units, eras, wonders etc.).

I like your list better than mine, but I'd say there are some points to nitpick. About Sogdian, Bactrian or Tocharians - how easy it is to find info on those pre-Alexander conquest or even pre-Persian conquest? Because past Alexander conquest, those were hellenistic kingdoms (yes, the ones that lasted less...) and then... I don't really know much about those later on.

And the Lydians... They were also conquered for the most time of their existence. But they have some interesting qualities, nevertheless... I guess we have to think over it.

Keep the ideas coming

btw The artwork is truly a pain in the arse... if we can lure a guy into this we can really squeeze him out
Old January 28, 2002, 15:16   #4
Wernazuma III
Emperor

I proposed the three optionis of central asian civs mainly "instead of Scythian" as Scythians were no urban civs (which, in my opinion is a crucial aspect for a CIV), whereas proto-silk-road central asia already had quite a rich urban history. I didn't conclude on a special name as my knowledge is limited too on this subject. But I think I've got some info in an exhibition catalogue, I'll look it up. And I'm pretty sure that in Alexander history there can be found sufficient city and leader names too.

And yes, Lydians are definitely the weakest part in the list and several others can compete with them. But they definitely were not as unimportant a power in the 7th/6th century
Old January 28, 2002, 15:30   #5
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Hmm, I always seem to drop in on this forum on the right moment, don't I? Or are the discussions always this interesting?

I think both lists mentioned above would be a good starting point, but I really think Ethiopia (or rather, Aksum, as it was then called) should be included as well. From a Mediterranean point of view, Aksum was far more important than India. Aksum:

(1) actually ruled over large parts of present-day Sudan and Yemen/Arabia, which both certainly fit within the scope of this scenario;
(2) controlled most of the trade between Africa, Arabia, Rome, Persia and India (all very relevant for this modpack);
(3) was a major empire (according to Persian prophet Mani even the third kingdom of the world, after Rome and Persia) with fabolously wealthy and important cities (such as Adulis, Matara and Aksum), which all had large Roman, Greek, Persian, Jewish, Arab and Indian minorities (again, very relevant for this modpack);
(4) it is located much closer to the Mediterranean than India and even much of Persia...

I don't think you should eliminate any civilization just because of geographical reasons (below this parallel, beyond this mountain range, whatever), you should look much more at culture instead. In this sense Aksum qualifies better than many other civilizations, even though western history books generally give it far less credit than it deserves. Playing with the Celts and Indians or Babylonians in the same game makes little sense historically (they lived thousands of miles apart and never had any contact with each other), playing with Ethiopia and any of the nations mentioned so far (except the Celts, the Etruscans and one or two others) makes perfect sense...

As far as the rest of the list goes, all the nations mentioned make sense. My suggestion: why stick to 16 civs? You can have 31, can't you? There's so many Mediterranean civs, why make it any harder than it already is (well, except for the artwork of course, that seems to cause everyone headaches). If 31 is too much, at least go for 20. My favourite list would be (roughly from west to east):

1. Celts
2. Romans
3. Etruscans
4. Greeks
5. Minoans
6. Macedonians / Thracians
7. Hittites
8. Scythians
9. Hebrews
10. Phoenicians (if absolutely necessary Carthaginians but I personally have a strong preference for Phoenicians)
11. Egyptians
12. Nubians
13. Ethiopians
14. Babylonians / Sumerians
15. Armenians
16. Assyrians
17. Arabs
18. Persians
19. Harappans
20. Indians (although I would probably rename it Maurya or Gupta)

But as said before, there's dozens of other civs that would qualify...
Old January 28, 2002, 17:55   #6
Wernazuma III
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
Hmm, I always seem to drop in on this forum on the right moment, don't I? Or are the discussions always this interesting?
It's always so interesting, you should drop by more frequently

You're right of course, we CAN have more than 16 civs, but rosacrux will already need some time to make the first 16...

I didn't want to disqualify Aksum, I always was empathic towards Ethiopia, but it really depends on the map (just as much as the inclusion of India depends on that. I wouldn't make Harappans AND Indians, exactly for this reason. There won't be the whole subcontinent on a euro-centric ancient world map, only the Indus-valley and maybe the desert. If the map allows it, it'd probably good to replace the Lydians with Ethiopians/Aksumites
Old January 28, 2002, 19:00   #7
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Wernazuma III
It's always so interesting, you should drop by more frequently
LOL, I guess I could do that The only problem is, I left for a good reason. I'm still don't know how to combine discussing history with not developing Civ3 here one Apolyton Things are so much easier on CivFanatics with it's seperate World History forum

Quote:
You're right of course, we CAN have more than 16 civs, but rosacrux will already need some time to make the first 16...
Yeah, that's definitely true. Well, as far as the historic research goes, there should be enough people around here who can help with that. For many civs the properties already exist (if not for Civ3 then for CtP or Civ2), though some minor adaptations might be required, and most others are well known enough to easily find the necessary info for. If you don't insist on doing everything democratically, like with the expansion pack, things can go really fast...

Quote:
I didn't want to disqualify Aksum, I always was empathic towards Ethiopia, but it really depends on the map (just as much as the inclusion of India depends on that. I wouldn't make Harappans AND Indians, exactly for this reason. There won't be the whole subcontinent on a euro-centric ancient world map, only the Indus-valley and maybe the desert. If the map allows it, it'd probably good to replace the Lydians with Ethiopians/Aksumites
Hmm, that's true. I included both since both civs were quite different and both seem to have had fairly intense contacts with Persia and the Middle East. Culturally they would both fit well but it might indeed be too much to have them both. I don't know what kind of area/map exactly Rosacrux wants to cover, 'my cultural map' of the ancient west includes a good portion of India and North-East Africa, but if you'd want to make a (square) civilization map out of that you'd get an awful lot of unused space (mountains north of Persia/India, Sahara, Indian Ocean).
Old January 29, 2002, 02:40   #8
Giovanni August
Warlord

Local Time: 20:52
Location: Torino (Turin) Piemonte ITALY / Augusta Taurinorum - Sub Alpes Italia
Hello! Scusme....
can i suggest a list of civ too?

So..
1Romans
2Greeks (use Pericles (???) )
3Egyptians
4Babylon
5Persia
6India
7Celts
8Phoenician
9Macedonian Greeks (use Alexander)
10Assyrian
11Sumerian
12Hebrews
13Hittites
14Minoan
15Ethiopians
16Etruscan

Saluti
Old January 29, 2002, 11:12   #9
Locutus
Deity

I've compiled a brief list of all the proposed civs so far. Two ways of doing this really: select the ones you want and go for it, however many there may be (as long as it's less than 32). Or you can set a limit first, determine how many civs you want, and eliminate the civs you don't want until you got a satisfying list. It's up to you...

Civs that everyone pretty much seems to agree on (i.e. they occur on at least 3 of the above lists):
1. Celts
2. Romans
3. Etruscans
4. Greeks
5. Minoans
6. Hittites
7. Hebrews
8. Carthaginians / Phoenicians
9. Egyptians
10. Nubians
11. Babylonians
12. Assyrians
13. Persians
14. Indians / Maurya / Gupta

Civs about which there is no consensus but have some popularity (appear on at least 1 list):
15. Gauls
16. Macedonians
17. Thracians
18. Lydians
19. Scythians
20. Ethiopians
21. Sumerians
22. Armenians
23. Arabs
24. Sogdians
25. Bactrians
26. Tocharians
27. Harappans

Other civs (civs from the 'other suggestions' section):
28. Phrygians
29. Hurritians
30. Illyrians
31. Medes
32. Parthians
33. Ionian Greeks
34. Italian Greeks
35. Molloses
36. Pontus (just tossing it in to get nice round numbers)

(Re: Molloses: Never even heard of them, quite frankly, and according to Google they don't even exist, who the hell are they?)

You're gonna have to elimate between 5 and 20 civs from this list (assuming you don't add more)...
Old January 29, 2002, 14:27   #10
Rosacrux
Warlord

What to pick?
Quite a list there, Locutus. Yes, I've noticed that there are many options. Here are some thoughts of mine:

1. Celts OK
2. Romans OK
3. Etruscans OK if we go without a standard map
4. Greeks OK but with a possibility of leader change if the Greek Macedonians go in
5. Minoans OK
6. Hittites OK
7. Hebrews OK
8. Carthaginians / Phoenicians OK i'd go with Phoenicians as well
9. Egyptians OK
10. Nubians OK
11. Babylonians OK
12. Assyrians OK
13. Persians OK
14. Indians / Maurya / Gupta OK and Wernazume takes the call on the name we use

Civs about which there is no consensus but have some popularity

15. Gauls - Not a primal choice, since they are Celts.
16. Macedonians - A good choice but as Macedonian Greeks, if you don't mind.
17. Thracians - Not really a significant civ, but provided the Greek city states with the famous peltastes, a very effective light infantry
18. Lydians- I think we are ruling those out, right?
19. Scythians - I like them but, yes, they were not an urban civ.
20. Ethiopians - Still a good choice, if we don't go with a standard map
21. Sumerians- another fertile crescent civ... well, it's your call
22. Armenians - Wouldn't be my primal choice
23. Arabs - This is not their prime era. Save them for the Apolyton expansion pack
24. Sogdians - I have stated my objections to those, but if one of you can find enough info I'd be glad to have them in.
25. Bactrians - see above
26. Tocharians - see above
27. Harappans - I don't know enough to comment.

btw Locutus, Molosses were a later hellenized (and even later Romanized) tribe in Hepirus (Hepiros). Their kings fought numerous wars with the Macedonian Kingdom, until Alexandros subdued them. King Pyros, although Greek, was king of the Molosses. Some of them lived inside the borders of the Macedonian kingdom.
Old January 29, 2002, 14:48   #11
Wernazuma III
Emperor

OK, my take on the "some popularity civs":

15. Gauls - Nah, Celts are enough Celts
16. Macedonians - An obvious possibility although they'd be definitely the "youngest" of the Civs. If necessary they can be called Macedonian Greeks to make it more clearly, but from Philipp onwards, it's obvious that they were greeks anyway...
17. Thracians - No, not urban, not specifically important
18. Lydians - Well, I kinda like them but probably not No.1 choice even to me
19. Scythians - No (stated above)
20. Ethiopians - In with them I say
21. Sumerians - Good pick, but then maybe really get rid of Babylonians to evade Civ-crowding. (Close to a tie)
22. Armenians - A possibility, but not in the first 16, similar as for Lydians
23. Arabs - Well, semitic peoples from Arabia have some urban history and the Nabateans were quite important too, but yet, I wouldn't give them place in the first 16
24. Sogdians
25. Bactrians
26. Tocharians - Obviously, if one of those three is included, give away the others. I'd put them in the game, will see to provide some info.
27. Harappans - A possible civ, yet also only in an expanded list, otherwíse I'd let them remain subsummed under "Indians"
Old January 29, 2002, 18:15   #12
Locutus
Deity

Okay, time for my comments:

15. Gauls - Celts are Celts, so thumbs-down on this one
16. Macedonians - identifiable civ from 7th century onwards, just as the Romans, and important and unique enough to include as a seperate civ (the 'Greeks' suffix is correct but IMHO ugly, but do whatever you want)
17. Thracians - They *did* have numerous cities but *were* a tribal civ in nature; not important enough anyway
18. Lydians - I'd only include this one if you have room to spare, don't care much for them myself
19. Scythians - were nomadic, thumbs down (I just think the name is )
20. Ethiopians - renamed Aksum, definitely thumbs-up (only downside is the map)
21. Sumerians - oldest civ in Fertile Crescent, should be in but overlap with Babylon might be too large (both in city names and on a map), very tough choice... I'd say keep 'm for now but prepare to ditch one of them if too troublesome (I for one would choose Babylon, based on their fame; though Sumer probably deserves it more)
22. Armenians - good choice but not for the top 16 (if you go with 20 they should be in)
Sorry, Nabateans and Arabs should have been a seperate options, I was confused with the Sabeans (but for finding enough city names merging the two might not be a bad idea)
23a. Arabs - were important long before the Islam came around (since 1000 BC); they long had a monopoly on Africa-India trade, they were the sole supplier of spices for Europe, and controlled a good portion of India-Europe trade; combined with advanced irrigation technology and a favourable climate (in Yemen at least) this made Arab city states important and extremely rich; not as big as Ethiopia or Macedonia, but I'd include them if possible
23b. Nabateans - a good choice but not for the top 16, problem is that little is known about them so finding necessary properties might be tricky
24. Sogdians
25. Bactrians
26. Tocharians - I think having one civ in Central Asia wouldn't be a bad idea but properties might be hard to determine. Perhaps the Pathians and even the Medes should be considered as an alternative next to one of these three (since more info exists on them)?
27. Harappans - a good option, India is extremely diverse, one civ representing all of it wouldn't give the Indian sub-continent the credit it deserves; however, I wouldn't put these in the top 16... (Rosacrux, you might know Harappans better as Indus Valley People, good descriptions can be found here and here)

My conclusion from all this: to fill the top 16, the two civs next to the 14 already agreed upon should be Macedonia and Ethiopia. Would you want to include more civs, the most obvious choices are (in the order of my personal preference):

- Sumerians (if at all possible)
- Arabs (possibly merged with Nabateans)
- Central Asians (Sogdians/Bactrians/Tocharians/Parthians, whatever is most desirable/convenient)
- Armenians
- Harappans
- Nabateans
- Lydians

So *if* you want more than 16 civs, 20 or 22 would be nice numbers. We seem to more or less agree that the other civs don't really qualify (unless you want more than 22 civs but I don't get the idea that you do).

BTW, thanks for the info on Molosses, Rosacrux.

Last edited by Locutus; January 29, 2002 at 18:22.
Old January 29, 2002, 19:29   #13
Giovanni August
Warlord

Location: Torino (Turin) Piemonte ITALY / Augusta Taurinorum - Sub Alpes Italia
I agree with Locutus for the civs to pick!
But i'd really try to put in the Sumerian!
Some Historian think that they were probably older than the Egyptians! But i agree that there woulhd be a problem of overlapping with the Babylonians!

But i will really enjoy having them in the Mod!

Saluti
Old January 29, 2002, 22:29   #14
molly bloom
King

Local Time: 05:52
Local Date: November 1, 2010
About the Celts not reaching the Indians/Chinese- don't be so sure-

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/chinamum/taklamakan.html

Channel 4 in Britain showed a fascinating documentary about 2 years' ago, in its Secret History strand, I believe, on the well-preserved mummies of the Takla Makan. They had been dried in a similar way to the mummies of Peru, and their clothes, a woven woollen tartan-like cloth, their Caucasian appearance, fair skin, red/blond hair, do seem to indicate affiliation with one branch of the Celts. Needless to say, the present day Chinese authorities are reluctant to allow too much investigation into the mummies antecedents, keen as they are to keep promulgating the idea that knowledge flowed only east to west.....

As regards the Scythians, Sarmatians, Thracians, Kurgans, Pazaryks, etc... why not rename the barbarians? Given the restless nomadic nature of the steppe peoples, this would be historically more accurate than having one of the horse cultures start from a city base.

I don't know what you're talking about by international law. G.W. Bush, 12/03
Old January 30, 2002, 12:23   #15
Locutus
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by molly bloom
About the Celts not reaching the Indians/Chinese- don't be so sure-
Yes, basically you are right. However:

1) This was a very small and isolated group of people, not a large-scale movement of people who maintained many contacts with other cultures.

2) These people settled in the extreme North-West of China (in what is now Uygur territory), still about equally far removed from the Chinese and Indian centers of civilization as e.g. Nigeria is from Egypt (and the terrain seperating them was at least as uninhabitable as in Africa, probably worse).

3) These finds are 3,000-4,000 years old, while the oldest Celtic remains in Europe are from 1,200 BC. Consider also the time it must have taken to travel thousands of miles through the uninhabitable mountains, deserts and turndra of Russia, Kazakhstan and China and the gap between the Hallstatt Celts and 'Roman' Celts and you will realize that the two peoples were at best distant cousins.

So although it indeed true that it's quite possible that some Celt-like people migrated to China around 4,000 BC (I guess they just didn't like their starting position ), the Celts are still very far removed from Indian or Mesopotamian history.

Quote:
As regards the Scythians, Sarmatians, Thracians, Kurgans, Pazaryks, etc... why not rename the barbarians? Given the restless nomadic nature of the steppe peoples, this would be historically more accurate than having one of the horse cultures start from a city base.
Do you mean should we the Barbarians be added as an extra civ or should the city-list simply be adapted to reflect these Ancient Mediterrean names (or something else altogether)? I would agree on the latter but don't think I would feel much for the former...

Edit: spelling (stupid Germans with their double l's and t's everywhere )

Last edited by Locutus; January 30, 2002 at 13:55.
Old January 30, 2002, 13:30   #16
Plan Austral
Spanish Civers
King

Location: Poster Formerly known as Kublai-Khan. Buenos Aires - Argentina.
I think that the Armenians and Ethiopia should be in the game, even though Armenia used to be a persian satrapy.
Periodista : A proposito del escudo de la fe, Elisa, a mí me sorprendía Reutemann diciendo que estaba dispuesto a enfrentarse con el mismísimo demonio (Menem) y después terminó bajándose de la candidatura. Ahí parece que fuera ganando el demonio.

Elisa Carrio: No, porque si usted lee bien el Génesis dice que la mujer pisará la serpiente.
Old January 30, 2002, 20:27   #17
molly bloom
King

Local Time: 05:52
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
[SIZE=1] Originally posted by Locutus [/SIZE

Do you mean should we the Barbarians be added as an extra civ or should the city-list simply be adapted to reflect these Ancient Mediterrean names (or something else altogether)? I would agree on the latter but don't think I would feel much for the former...

Edit: spelling (stupid Germans with their double l's and t's everywhere )

My idea was that the barbarian eruptions in the game adequately represented the steppe peoples occasional invasions of settled, more metropolitan areas, so that if you chose a representative name for the barbarians, say, the Sarmatians (who may have been the inspiration for the Greek Amazon myth) who fought the Ancient Greeks and Persians, or the Scythians or the Thracians, then this would be a reasonable refelction of the historical situation.

I don't know what you're talking about by international law. G.W. Bush, 12/03
Old January 31, 2002, 11:54   #18
Locutus
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by molly bloom

My idea was that the barbarian eruptions in the game adequately represented the steppe peoples occasional invasions of settled, more metropolitan areas, so that if you chose a representative name for the barbarians, say, the Sarmatians (who may have been the inspiration for the Greek Amazon myth) who fought the Ancient Greeks and Persians, or the Scythians or the Thracians, then this would be a reasonable refelction of the historical situation.
I guess that would be an interesting idea, although most ancient cultures *did* refer to the peoples surrounding them as barbarians. But renaming the Barbs and/or giving them an actual citylist rather than a list of nations might be a nice idea...
Old February 4, 2002, 08:56   #19
PapaLenin
Chieftain

You know guys I don't have to do anything either!!!
Old February 4, 2002, 09:24   #20
Umgssda
Settler

Civs
I think the list of civilizations still needs a bit of workover.
The difficulty is, that ancient civilization often differ in time but not in place.
If you include both assyrians and babylonians they are pretty close together, and there are also a lot of other possible choices in that region, like sumerians.
On the other hand you have large regions without important civs. It's true that Gaul ist just part of the celts civilization so that the celts have a large area to control.
One may argue, that assyrians and babylonians have influenced each other, but enough to be counted as one civilization?

You have to do some major changes in history or in the game rules to make this balanced.
Old February 5, 2002, 14:15   #21
Rosacrux
Warlord

Shall we carry on?
Sorry for my absence but my comp at home went out (burned out, actually) so I have access only at work and thus limited. Also, I have been doing some work over in the thread at the creation forum.

I guess we could start talking specificaly for civs, since more or less the list is (almost) final. I'll start with the Minoan civ

Minoan

Leader: King Minos
Capital Knossos

Unique Unit: An upgraded Sail unit maybe (since “Sail” or something similar shall be the second ship in the chronological line – see the thread over at “Creation” forum for the unit list we are working on) or Pentecontor (okay, that came later than the Minoan civ peak but we can’t be really accurate, can we now? )
The Cretans were also famous archers (the best of the Greek world) but that was after the Minoan civ vanished. We could give them an archer UU.

Civ traits: Commercial (that’s for sure) and maybe Religious.

Great Leaders: Now, there is a hard one. By mythological scources we know of three (yup, only three) figures of some significance that could be called “Minoan great leaders”: Two men (warriors) Idomeneas and Merianes (or Meriones) are found in “Iliad” as the leaders of the Cretan force. Also, we know of Ariadne, daughter of King Minos (mythology again) and also from the later Cretans (on the isle of Crete the Minoan civ flourished) we could add Nearchos, the admiral of Great Alexander. I hadn’t the time to dig for more heroes names, but the Minoan language has not been deciphered yet so names here are scarce.

City list

Knossos
Phaistos
Zakros
Malia
Gortys
Olus
Komos
Amnessos
Nirou
Myrtos
Arkhanes
Ierapytna
Vathypetro
Lindos
Gournia
Rithymna
Males
Rhytion
Miletos
Lycastos
Lindos
Tylissos

(more cities added)

Helephthairna
Anopolis
Glamia
Dreros
Lato
Ierapolis
Katri
Grammion
Amphimalion
Istros
Ertaea
Dragmos
Petra
Illatia
Phalaserna
Myrina
Itanos
Keratos
Panormos
Pharai

I guess that's enough, right?

Last edited by Rosacrux; February 6, 2002 at 10:24.
Old February 5, 2002, 18:56   #22
Wernazuma III
Emperor

I'm no pedantic guy, but shouldn't it be "Phaistos", "Zagros", "Gortyn" and "Mallia"

Possibly to be added:
Anemospiliai
Hagia Triada
Old February 6, 2002, 07:26   #23
Rosacrux
Warlord

well...
Err... Wernazume, Hagia Triada is a 16th century (AD) location name and anemospilia is definitely of the Byzantine time. But, a couple of the names mentioned in my post are also not excactly Minoan or ancient at all (they represent the respective locations of ancient settlements, though) so we might be able to add those too.

As for the other names:

The correct names are Malia with one "l" (that's how we write it here, at least - I live 45 minutes away from Malia ) Zakros and Gortys (Gortyn or Gortyna is the name of the same place in modern Greek). As for Faistos vs Phaistos... the grammar is right in both, it's just a matter of style
Old February 6, 2002, 09:47   #24
Locutus
Deity

Well, I had almost given up on this thread already, good to see it ain't quite dead yet...

As for Minoan city names, exact spelling is often a matter of taste, although most people are most familiar with and therefore prefer the Romanized spelling (Gortyn instead of Gortys, etc). Personally I prefer native names and ways of spellings but in some cases that can be difficult (different alphabet, native names unknown, etc), but that's really a personal taste.
However, I must object to Faistos. It's extremely unusual to translate the greek phi with an f, 99.9% of the time anything Greek that even vaguely resembles a phi is written as ph, I think that would be the best thing here as well. Whether you use Phaistos or Phaestus or whatever doesn't really matter to me (although I'd prefer Phaistos), but Faistos is horribly ugly and looks quite amateurish to me, quite frankly...
Anyway, here is a good site with Cretean city names, most of which are Minoan I think.

I don't have time now but later today I'll post a list of 30 odd Etruscan city names (and possibly names for some other civs).
Old February 6, 2002, 10:31   #25
Rosacrux
Warlord

Oh, well... Phaistos
Alright, alright, I changed it to Phaistos, even though I am strongly against the Ph-ing of the Greek "ö" (dunno if it appers on your screan, it probably doesn't). Why am I against it? Well, because the latin "F" is the Greek "phi", so I hate to see it as an odd bigram "ph".

But since you all find it so ugly... there you have it! Phaistos.

I added 23 more cities of ancient Crete to the list. They are taken from the site Locutus provided but many of them are post-Minoan settlements (as I said, I know because I live on Crete and I have more than just a vague interest in history ) or - in most cases - post minoan names of settlements that are inhabited for the past 4000 years.

Since there is a lack of actual names of significant Minoan settlements (and since Homer wasn't kind enough to mention all the "100 cities of Crete" in his Iliad) we should use those.

And... no ugly "f"s this time Locutus. Amateurish? Gee, thanks
Old February 6, 2002, 11:32   #26
Locutus
Deity

You're welcome, Rosacrux
Actually, while in Roman does not a distinction, English, Dutch, German and other modern languages *do* make a difference between f and phi. It's the same way Dutch and German use y for 'foreign' words (English, French, Greek, Latin) and ei or (in Dutch) ij for native words. No real reason for it, but that's just the way it is (and should be)...

As promised I posted the Etruscan city list below (I'll see if I have time to find more later).

And below that there is a list with 50 Egyptian city names (and if you need it there's more where that came from). Such a list is easy to make if you want to use the 'popular' city names (mostly Greek, some Arab), but if you want to make it really good (IMHO), you should use actual native Egyptian names, so I added those as well in brackets (when known and different from popular):

Etruscan cities
------------------
Veii - most powerfull of League cities (Etruscan name unknown)
Tarchna - one of the oldest of the League cities (Roman name: Tarquinii)
Clevsin - one of the oldest of the League cities (Roman name: Clusium)
Velch - important member of the League (Roman name: Vulci)
Caisra - important League trade city, principal port city (Roman name: Caere)
Fufluna - League city directly on coast and near mines (Roman name: Populonia)
Velathri - one of the wealthiest of the League cities (Roman name: Volaterrae)
Velzna - member of League, important religous site (Roman name: Volsinii)
Arretium - important inland League city (Etruscan name unknown)
Phersna - League city, Umbrian-Etrusk 'hybrid' (Roman name: Perusia)
Vetluna - member of the League (Roman name: Vetulonia)
Curtun - member of the League (Roman name: Corito)
Rusellae - likely a member of the League, little known about it (Roman name: Rosella)
Ruma - Etruscan-ruled city on edge of homeland (Roman name: Roma)
Capeva Volturnum - 'semi=League' Etrucscan city (Roman name: Capua)
Ravna - city in Etruscan territory (Roman name: Ravenna)
Spina - 'semi=League' Etrucscan city (Etruscan name unknown)
Adria - 'semi=League' Etrucscan city (Roman name: Adrina)
Kisry - port of Caisra
Aleria - Etruscan colony on Sardinia
Graviscae - city in/near Etruscan homeland
Faesulae - city in northern Etruscan territory (Etruscan name unknown)
Felsna - city in northern Etruscan territory (Roman name: Bononia)
Placentia - city in northern Etruscan territory (Etruscan name unknown)
Parma - city in northern Etruscan territory (Etruscan name unknown)
Mantua - city in northern Etruscan terrory (Etruscan name unknown)
Antium - city in southern Etruscan terrory (Etruscan name unknown)
Pisaurum - city in southern Etruscan terrory (Etruscan name unknown)
Privernum - city in southern Etruscan terrory (Etruscan name unknown)
Pontecagnano - city in southern Etruscan terrory (Etruscan name unknown)
Pompeii - city in southern Etruscan terrory (Etruscan name unknown)
Herculaneum - city in southern Etruscan terrory (Etruscan name unknown)

Egyptian cities
------------------
Thebes (Waset) - New Kingdom Capital, main temple of Amon
Memphis (Men-Nefer) - Often Old/Middle Kingdom Capital, main temple of Ptah
Heliopolis (Iunu) - Very important city, main temple of Re
Abydos (Abtu) - Very important religious site, later main temple of Osiris
Busiris (Djedu) - Very important city & religious site, temple of Osiris, aka Abusir
Panopolis (Akhmim) - Very important city and religious site, temple of Min
Elephantine (Adu) - Very important city, on border with Nubia, military base
Hieraconpolis (Nekhen) - Capital of Upper Egypt in predynastic times
Buto (Per-Wadjet) - Capital of Lower Egypt in predynastic times
This (Tjeny) - Capital of 1st/2nd dynasty, aka Thinis & Girga
Pi-Ramesses - Capital of Hyksos, built on top of Avaris
Heracleopolis (Henen-Nesut) - Capital of 9th/10th dynasty, very old city, main temple of Herishef
Lisht (Itjtawy) - Capital of 12th dynasty
Akhet-Aten - Capital of 18th dynasty (Akhet-aten, Nefertiti), aka el-Amarna
Avaris (Harawet) - Capital of 20th dynasty (Ramesses), later rebuilt as Pi-Ramesses
Tanis (Suan) - Capital in 21st/22nd dynasty, important trade city
Bubastis (Per-Bastet) - Capital of 22nd dynasty (Libyan), main temple of Bast
Leontopolis (Taremu) - Capital of 23rd dynasty
Sais (Sai) - Capital of 24th/26th/28th dynasty
Mendes (Per-Djedet) - Capital of 29th dynasty, Orisis centre
Sebennytos (Tjebnutjer) - Capital of 30th dynasty, hometown of Manetho
Karnak (Ipet-Isut) - Important religious site, northern half of Thebes
Luxor (Ipet-Resyt) - Valley of the Kings, southern half of Thebes
Giza (Rostau) - Site of Great Pyramids
Coptos (Gebtu) - centre for the Upper Egyptian Red Sea trade through Wadi Hammamat
Oryx - better known as Beni Hassan (Oryx is the nome, not the city)
Philae (P-aaleq) - Important (very) late New Kingdom religious site
Athribis (Hut-Heryib) - Temple of Horus, important city in Roman times
Syene (Swentet) - Twin city of Elephantine but less important, aka Aswan
Edfu (Djeba) - Old Kingdom mastabas, temple of Horus, aka Apollinopolis Magna
Dashur - Important pyramid site, Bent & Red Pyramids site (Egyptian name unknown)
Saqqara - Important pyramid site, site of Steppe Pyramid (Egyptian name unknown)
Pelusium (Senu) - Militarily very important city (basis for Asiatic campaigns)
Alexandria (Raqote) - Ptolemeic Capital, one of the greatest cities of the ancient world
Canopus (Kahi-Nub) - Important port city on Nile Delta, luxury centre
Crocodilopolis (She-Resy) - Founded by Menes, temple of Sobek, capital of Lower laurel nome
Armant (Iuny) - Capital of Sceptre nome, main temple of Montu, aka Hermonthis
Hermopolis Magna (Khemenu) - Important city & religious site, temple of Toth, capital of Hare nome
Letopolis (Sekhem) - Important city, cult of Hert/Isis and Horus
Ombos (Nubt) - Temple of Seth, aka Naqada/Tukh
Dendera (Iunet) - Site of Hathor's main temple, aka Tentyra
Abu Simbel (Meha) - Location of famous tempels built by Ramesses II
Diospolis Parva (Hut-Sekhem) - Cult centre of Bat, aka Hiw
Pithom (Pa-Tum) - Capital of East Harpoon nome, founded by Ramesses II
Kahun (Hotep-Senusret) - Location of pyramid plus town of Pyramid builders
Lykopolis/Asyut (Sauty) - Capital of Upper pomegranate tree nome, important in 11th dynasty
Esna (Iunyt) - Ptolemeic era religious site, main temple of Khnum and Neith
El-Kab (Nekhbet) - Capital of Rural nome, cult centre of Nekhbet, home of the 18th dynasty
Hermopolis (Bakh) - Capital of the Hare nome, foremost cult centre of Thoth
Hermopolis Parva (Timinhor) - Capital of West nome before Alexandria

Last edited by Locutus; February 6, 2002 at 11:39.
Old February 6, 2002, 13:40   #27
Rosacrux
Warlord

Nubian
Alrigh, one more civilization in hand. I am not an expert on African civs so bear with my minor errors (or even greater ones) when I try to dig into the Nubian civ.

Well, as far as I know, maybe Kush would be a better name for the civ, but you guys maybe are more familiar with them so we can discuss it.

Kush or Nubian

Leader: It should probably be Piye (better known as Piankhy) (800-716 BCE according to most estimations) who was among other things, the conqueror of Egypt, the founder of the 25th Pharaoh dynasty and a great military leader as well. Another candidate could be Aserkhamen or Piye’s brother Shabaka, who’s also noted in the Old Testament. Or the first of the Meroe period, Arakakamani. The ones not used for leader, should make it into great leaders. Also, other great leaders of the Kushites: Quore Nakatamani, Kandake Amanitore, Tantamani.

Traits: Commercial and …what? They were commercial for sure. Expansionistic they were not. Religious would maybe describe them? I don’t think militaristic. Definitely not scientific. Well, suggestions?

Unique Unit As I said, Nubian history is not my strongest point, so I really can’t think of a fitting UU. The only one I could think would be a beefed-up Light Cavalry, as they provided Carthago and later the Hellenistic kingdoms with fine Cavalry troops, with no armor but fast and efficient (Hannibal used them a lot).

Capital City
Napata or Meroe

Cities
Napata
Meroe
Dakka
Mahraqua
Siala
Korosko
Toshka
Balana
Faras
Qustol
Faras
Buhen
Mirgissa
Semna
Amra
Sai
Soleb
Kerma
Debba
Gebel Barkal
Kurgus

btw Locutus, very professional list on Egypt. Should we change the original with those?
Old February 6, 2002, 15:10   #28
Umgssda
Settler

There are a lot of egyptian cities known today, so one is able to choose among them.
I would drop out some of the cities Locutus mentioned:
The Greek cities, like Alexandria, one could describe it, a a greek foundation which got absorbed by the overwhelming egyptian culture. Isn't that already post dynastial?
Saqqara: as far as I know, it was only a burial site for Memphis.
Giza: I don't know about this, maybe also just a burial site?

How about Asyut? I think it was an important city during all the three kingdoms
Old February 6, 2002, 17:07   #29
Wernazuma III
Emperor

Rusellae Thought this IS the roman spelling. Etruscan name unknown AFAIK

Ravna city in Etruscan territory (Hardly, maybe etruscan presence in their north expansion, don't know)
Adria Isn't Atria more correct?
Old February 6, 2002, 18:01   #30
Locutus
Deity

Re: Nubian
Since Alexandria it was such an incredibly important city I think it's worth mentioning. I put it near the bottom of the list because it was indeed more a Greek-Egyptian hybrid than a truly Egyptian city. I guess you could also leave it out if you'd prefer that. Asyut is already there (Lykopolis), I left the 'aka part' out of the description because it was too long already (the length of the page get's screwed up if you use pre-tags combined with long sentences). Saqqara and Giza were extremely important religous sites; people actually lived there to take care of the temples and the graves and during construction activities entire towns were erected to house the labourers. So personally I think they qualify as seperate cities, although one could indeed agrue about that

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosacrux
Well, as far as I know, maybe Kush would be a better name for the civ, but you guys maybe are more familiar with them so we can discuss it.
Usually the names are used as synonyms but strictly speaking Kush ought to refer to the Napata kingdom only while Nubia refers to pretty much all kingdoms in what is now Sudan (Kerma, Meroe and several other, less important, ones). So if you must be accurate, it just depends on how much you want to cover...

Quote:
It should probably be Piye (better known as Piankhy) (800-716 BCE according to most estimations) who was among other things, the conqueror of Egypt, the founder of the 25th Pharaoh dynasty and a great military leader as well. Another candidate could be Aserkhamen or Piye’s brother Shabaka, who’s also noted in the Old Testament. Or the first of the Meroe period, Arakakamani. The ones not used for leader, should make it into great leaders. Also, other great leaders of the Kushites: Quore Nakatamani, Kandake Amanitore, Tantamani.
You're confusing Shabaka with Taharqa, it is him who is mentioned in the Bible (as Tirhakah) and he's often mentioned as the greatest of the 25th dynasty kings (he was both a great warrior and a great builder). Taharqa would indeed be a good competitor for Piye, the rest is less important. Personally I like Taharqa but I would agree with Piye as leader for the Nubians/Kushites as well. Minor nitpick: Shabaka was the founder of the 25th dynasty, not Piye. Piye conquered Egypt but ruled from Napata; Shabaka moved the capital to Thebes and was the first to rule as Egyptian Pharaoh.

Traits: Commercial and …what? They were commercial for sure. Expansionistic they were not. Religious would maybe describe them? I don’t think militaristic. Definitely not scientific. Well, suggestions?[/quote]
Well, agriculture would be nice but failing that industrious would be applicable. Nubians built many great pyramids and temples and particularly Meroe (like the rest of (West) Africa) was quite famous for it's skill in iron production. I guess religous would work too, but that fits almost every ancient civilization to some extend...

Unique Unit As I said, Nubian history is not my strongest point, so I really can’t think of a fitting UU. The only one I could think would be a beefed-up Light Cavalry, as they provided Carthago and later the Hellenistic kingdoms with fine Cavalry troops, with no armor but fast and efficient (Hannibal used them a lot).[/quote]
Hmm, not sure about this... Nubian archers were frequently used as mercenaries by the Egyptians, for later times cavalry or camelry would also qualify. A tribe of Nubian nomads, the Medjay, were used as mercenaries by the Egyptians because they were such fearsome warriors, later on they were employed as sort of a police force.
Personally I think I'd prefer Nubian Bowmen as UU, maybe rename them Medjay but keep them as archery unit. Non-archery units would certainly not be unsuitable though...

Quote:
Capital City
Napata or Meroe
Hmm, maybe you should consider Kerma too? It was a pretty important city and their first capital. All three would be a good choice though...

Quote:
Cities
Napata
Meroe
Dakka
Mahraqua
Siala
Korosko
Toshka
Balana
Faras
Qustol
Faras
Buhen
Mirgissa
Semna
Amra
Sai
Soleb
Kerma
Debba
Gebel Barkal
Kurgus
Well, it's not easy to make a Nubian list but this looks pretty good. One question though (minor issue, but still): Why is Kerma so low on the list? It's one of the oldest Nubian citie and with that one of the oldest cities in the world. Gotta be worth something (aside from the fact that it was their first capital)...
Additions:
Nuri
el-Kurru
Dongola

(might have more later)

Quote:
btw Locutus, very professional list on Egypt. Should we change the original with those?
Well, personally I'd love to see that but I can see how others might prefer to keep their familiar Greek/Arab names...