Old January 28, 2002, 19:19   #1
neuro7
Settler

Local Time: 19:54
Local Date: October 31, 2010
help please
Hi, I was wondering is it possible to save a multiplayer LAN game of SMAX? It's just i like to play on huge map and staying awake 48 hours is not nice - not to mention machine crashes etc..
Old January 28, 2002, 20:39   #2
bondetamp
Prince

Local Time: 21:54
I'm pretty sure that it is possible.

At least it would be pretty draconian if it wasn't.

Alas I haven't played a LAN game quite a while, so I've forgotten all the finer details.
The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
-H. L. Mencken
Old January 28, 2002, 20:41   #3
Fitz
King

Local Time: 11:54
Yeah, I do this all the time. The host machine must have the saved game on it, although it is not required that it save it in the first place (anyone can do that, then you can copy it onto the host later). Personally, if I'm hosting a game I save every 10 turns for the first 100, and every 5 after that. Crashes can be a b*tch.

To reload, when the host machine hosts, one of the options on the left (map maybe?) has a drop down that you can select "load saved game" from, after which all the defaults for the game in question are set, the correct factions applied, etc. I don't know if you can change the x boxes below at this point, but I believe so.

BEWARE, people can switch factions when loading a game. Make sure every faction has the correct faction before starting the game, unless you want to switch around on purpose.

Incidentally, I'm about to test the game using DSL through a firewall tonight. I may start some DSL connected games with folks around here if they are interested and available if it actually works.
Old January 29, 2002, 15:33   #4
neuro7
Settler

Local Time: 19:54
hey thanks for that, ive been playing it for yonks and never figured that out before.