Old January 28, 2002, 20:06   #1
cbraund
Prince

Local Time: 19:54
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Their Finest Hour...
I was a warrior. It was in my blood to fight. So when our great nation's first and capital city, London, was built, I swore to defend its people.

I joined the army, and due to a wealthy father and a good education, rose to command one of the three regiments that England built in those early years. One was a warrior regiment(The Queen's Own), scorned by all for being jacks of all trades, masters of none, only having got their prestigious name from being the first regiment to deploy. Then there were the spearmen in the Protectors of London Regiment.

Then there was my regiment. My archers formed the Avengers, a deadly unit feared by the barbarians who inhabited Wales and Scotland.

I was leading my regiment into Wales after there had been reports of yet another raid on the village of Bristol near the Welsh border. This was unacceptable, as we were planning to build a second city soon, and could not have barbarians running all over the place.

We headed into the Welsh mountains, and there found the barbarians.

Five regiments of them.

'Damn Englishmen! How dare they invade our sacred soil!' thought the Celt leader of Wales.

His aide saw the look on his leader's face, and smiled.

"Sir, we have nothing to fear. We have five regiments in the field, and three defending our towns, including Cardiff. They cannot escape from Wales alive." he reassured the leader.

The barbarians poured down upon us. Two regiments attacked us first, and were driven back simply due to our better training, with us taking up positions on a mountain opposite their hill and fighting off wave after wave of attack.

Those two regiments now lay dead at our feet. The other three were up in the mountain of Snowdon. And now we were going to do what the Avengers did best.

Attack with all the fury of England.

The Celt leader told his men to hold Snowdon at any cost. They were determined to do so, and many thought it was suicidal for them to attack up a mountain, but a few were wiser, veterans of raids into England.

"FORWARD!" I yelled, drawing my sword and leading them forward. This time only a third of the regiment would actually use their bows, and that was only for covering fire. The rest would do something the barbarians wouldn't expect. They drew their shortswords, and charged up the mountain behind me.

As we neared the top, we could see the barbarians ready to charge as soon as most of us reached the summit and were vulnerable. I decided not to give them a chance.

I launched myself at their centre, and quickly found myself one on one with the Celt leader. He stabbed at me with his blade, but I parried and kicked his shin. This unbalanced him, and his next attack went straight past me. I grabbed his sword arm with my free arm, and plunged my sword into his throat.

Now there was no leader to order them to attack, and the barbarians waited anxiously for battle to begin.

Most of my regiment had reached the top, and I formed them up into line. The first row kept their swords drawn, while the back two used their bows to fire arrows at the enemy.

This made the Celts attack, and I led my front rank in a charge against them, quickly followed by my entire regiment, all now carrying their swords, bows lying forgotten on the floor until after the battle.

The sledgehammer effect of our attack drove them back towards the other edge of Snowdon, and many surrendered. Those who didn't were slaughtered.

At the end of it all, I ordered the massacre of every barbarian prisoner. It was horrific, but I was determined to show that England would not tolerate barbarians.

The rest of Wales quickly fell under English control as well, and I was given control of two extra archer regiments when I returned to London. My job was to lead my Avengers Brigade, as the three archer regiments were known, in an attack on Scotland's Celts. It worked like a dream, and I became the overall commander of the English Army.

As the sword of immortality tapped each shoulder, Queen Elizabeth spoke the words I still couldn't believe:

"Arise, Sir Arthur Wellsley."

I was now a knight of the realm, and to top it all off, Duke of Wellington, leader of the English Armed Forces. Plus, the sword she used was the only one of its kind in the world, which could give immortality to one person before becoming useless, and she had chosen me. I was now like her and the other rulers of the world, immortal to all illnesses and diseases, the only thing which could kill us was injuries inflicted by another person.

Not the best kind of immortality for a warrior!

I was rushed off to a meeting with the Queen herself soon after. She wanted my advice!

"It comes to our attention that Ireland remains Celtic. I want to establish the fifth city of the Empire there and name it Dublin." she spoke calmly. Her nation was one of the strongest in the world with four cities already, London itself, York in northern England, Edinburgh in Scotland and Cardiff in Wales.

"My swordsmen regiments can accomplish that." I smiled. Our warrior regiments had recently been equipped with new iron weapons, making them stronger than any other unit. All of our other forces had been disbanded, and reformed as swordsmen units. Those units were now the entire English Army.

The English Navy also consisted of three galleys, the largest fleet afloat.

And I was in command of them, and about to invade the small island west of Wales.

The French landed on Ireland first, much to my dismay. I had sent over my swordsmen regiments to quell the barbarians before sending over the settlers who were to found Dublin.

But when I arrived in Ireland at the head of five swordsmen regiments, I saw the French.

Damn them. I sent a message to Elizabeth requesting that she meet Joan of Arc immediately.

This she did, with them meeting on neutral ground in Bismarck's Palace in Berlin.

"Either you hand over your new city of Lyons built in Ireland or my army will take it, and my navy will enforce a blockade against you. Your choice. If you decide to hand it over, I'm sure we could come to some kind of agreement beneficial to both of us, as England is a country rich enough to pay its way." Elizabeth put all her cards on the table at once. She wanted to show the French ruler(what kind of idiot made her French ruler anyway?! Hadn't those French morons heard of Charlemagne?!) that she wasn't joking about this, she would get Lyons and rename it Dublin one way or another.

"Never! France will never surrender its people to the tyranny of England!" Joan of Arc was in her usual patriot-of-France character.

Stupid cow. When would she learn that diplomacy wasn't telling the truth? Diplomacy was lying to someone's face, and them knowing you're lying, and lying back to you.

Elizabeth smiled at this thought. She hadn't been lying.

"Lyons will fall within the day, and your navy will be destroyed and blockaded by the end of the week." Elizabeth growled, then stormed out of the room.

Bismarck smiled on his throne. That little war would allow him time to expand his army and empire, and no one would even notice...

I led the assault on Lyon's gates myself. The three French spearmen regiments put up a spirited defence, injuring quite a few of my men, and destroying one swordsman regiment, but in the end we were victorious. Our galleys sunk the two galleys that brought the French over, and we renamed Lyons to Dublin, as Her Majesty had requested.

She was now making a speech on the balcony of Buckingham Palace:

"People of England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland, a new era has begun in our nation. Our nation is to be renamed the United Kingdom of Great Britain, and our Empire will last for a thousand years!"

The people cheered. I clapped, but I hoped that it would last for more than that. 1000 years more would only just take us over 1AD!

Mind you, this BC stuff I never can understand. Why are we counting downwards?! How do we know this Christ guy is coming?!

I wish someone would explain why we have our years as Before Christ, some guy who apparently is the son of God. Stupid priests, what do they know?! They said the world was going to end at 2000BC, then 1000BC, and now 999BC! Idiots!

Yeah right, I'll believe it when I see it. Anyway, with those damn Romans and Greeks and Egyptians all vying for the Jerusalem area, I don't think even God could save the poor guy from getting killed in all the fighting!

The French landed at Cardiff and took the city whilst only garrison forces remained on the English homeland. My regiments were still in Ireland, and I decided to lead them in a daring attack on Paris itself to stop the French attacking us and bring them to peace terms. Meanwhile, a swordsman regiment just being created in London would march to Cardiff and try and beat the two spearmen regiments holding it, and the navy would finally put to sea with five galleys and hold the Channel against any French invasion or re-inforcements.

The seige of Cardiff lasted for three days, with one of their regiments being destroyed in the first day's fighting, and the second holding on only for two days more against the superior swordsmen, a veteran unit when it left London, and now elite, compared to the French regiment's regular status.

And now we finally had landed at Paris.

I led the assault once more, only to find three spearmen and one warrior regiment holding Paris. The fighitng was fierce on both sides.

I led my swordsmen up the hill once more, determined to dislodge the spearmen holding position there. I swung my sword at one man, decapitating him, and pushed it into the gut of another. Well, no one ever said war was nice.

I felt a sharp pain in my side, and realised one spear had pierced my armour. I hoped it wasn't bad, remembering the immortality didn't extend to mortal wounds.

I swung at the man who stabbed me, chopping off his hand from the rest of his body, and making the spear drop to the floor.

He had been their leader, and with his defeat, his men began to fall back. One of my men stabbed the leader again to make sure he was dead, and we chased the routed spearmen into Paris, the warriors having died long ago. I marched into the Palace to meet Joan of Arc herself once more, this time with her as my prisoner.

A peace deal was quickly sorted, with us handing back Paris in return for the map, some money and two technologies.

Sounded like a fair deal to me, because the French still didn't have an iron deposit with which to make swordsmen, and thus were an impotent target.

Germany was becoming a major threat. Elizabeth travelled to Washington to meet Lincoln to discuss a mutual protection pact.

I was her bodyguard, and realised that the two liked each other.

They disappeared into the Oval Office for one hour, and finally returned having sorted out the pact. We could now face Germany with someone to back us up.

"Have a nice time?" I smiled at the Queen, winking to make it obvious I knew what had happened.

"That man is like an animal." she said with indignation. "I will have to come here again more often!". She winked and grinned.

I laughed. The Queen was only human after all!

Germany declared war one week later, invading our now allies France, in co-operation with Rome. Greece stayed neutral, and the Americans declared war on Germany to stand side by side with Britain.

But then the Iroquois signed a deal with Bismarck. They would fight the Americans and keep them occupied. Even the Aztecs agreed to this.

I managed to secure the friendship of Russia, and Catherine's help in the war, but then Egypt joined the war on the Axis side. China entered the war on my side, only to be countered by Japan. America quickly arranged for the Indians to fight alongside us, as would the Zulus. Persia then declared war on the Allies, as did the Babylonians.

But then the Greeks declared for the Axis.

The sides were drawn up:

Allies
Britain
France
America
Russia
India
China
Zulu

Axis
Germany
Egypt
Rome
Japan
Iroquois
Aztec
Greece
Babylon
Persia

Europe was pretty evenly matched, with Russia, Britain and France against Germany, Rome and Greece, but the Middle East was ruled by the Axis, with Egypt, Persia and Babylon holding it for them. The Zulus were too far south to help anyone.
In America, the USA was outnumbered two to one, and China was lagging far behind the Japanese.
The Indians to make any true contribution had to come through the Middle East, meaning fighting Egypt, Persia and Babylon.

This was going to be one hell of a war for the Allies!

Stay tuned for Part Two.

Feedback is appreciated!

Chris(posted as uknemesis on Civ Fanatics forum)

PS: This was on a world map, and this is how it really started, although later on I will have to veer off course, as that game ended quickly for me!

Anyway, a map will be provided in the next installment, but for now, the countries are basically mostly around where they start, no true empires emerging yet. Only when we get to colonisation will I produce maps.
Old January 29, 2002, 08:45   #2
Ralfi
Settler

Chris,

really good stuff! Keep going on!!
Old January 29, 2002, 18:47   #3
sgrig
Warlord

Great story Chris! Keep it up!

Btw, what difficulty level are you playing at? Because you seem to have very exciting games! Like your last USA game!
Old January 31, 2002, 21:33   #4
cbraund
Prince

Sorry, no maps in this one either, cause my world map that I was going to edit in paint doesn't seem to like any colours other than black and white(?!)! Anyway, I don't think I'll need them for this, cause I'll use the little geography I know(not much !) to tell you where places are, and most people know what the world looks like. Anyway, I can't post screenshots, cause the game is much more advanced than this, and I always save over my previous save, so screenshots will come later, or it would ruin some of the later events! Oh, and for those asking what difficulty level, I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's one of the higher ones...
Probably gonna find out it's Chieftain now I said that!
And sorry for the delay, had a busy few days...

The knights charged across the battlefield once more. Germany was determined to take Paris, whatever the cost. The French Army was fighting bravely, even launching a counter-assault, but it was not enough alone.

That was why I was here, leading the 1st Knight of Great Britain, two swordsmen regiments and three pikeman regiments in the defence of Paris.

The battle was being mainly fought on a bridge crossing the river than Paris was on, as the Germans tried to sweep around Paris and cut it off from the rest of France. The French were holding the centre (Paris itself) and the right flank, whilst I was holding the left flank close to the Channel with my British Expeditionary Force(BEF).

But the Germans were sending about five knights to attack either flank, and lots of longbowmen to attack Paris itself.

The war was going badly for the Allies, with the Americans losing Chicago to the Iroquois and Miami to the Aztecs, despite their slight technological advantage.

It was one the Germans held over my nation and the French, but hadn't allowed the Romans to have. The Romans were losing out badly to British and French naval blockades and raids, and were beginning to lose cities to the Russian advance, which was causing even the mighty Germany some problems. Greece wasn't faring much better than Rome, its forces having to be supported by the Egyptians to even hold up against the huge Russian onslaught.

The Egyptians were keeping the Zulus bottled up in South Africa, quickly destroying any Zulu armies trying to get into the Middle East. The Persians and Babylonians were holding out against the Indians, preventing them helping the Zulus, and China was too busy trying to counter Japanese invasions and counter-attack to worry about any other battle in the world.

My men were holding firm around Paris though. We knew if it fell, the French may be demoralised enough to come to terms with the Germans.

"We must keep this position, even if it costs us our lives!" I spoke quickly to my second in command so he would know what the order was if I fell in battle.

It felt weird being immortal, but having to be afraid of a mere mortal's blade. But I suppose at least it meant that I could kill myself rather than be taken hostage by someone who might use me against my nation, because if that happened, immortality would be a curse, not a blessing, and I would never betray my nation.

Finally the German knights were upon us. I had assigned one of my pikemen units to each of my attacking units, even though we were all in the same square mile, and easily could help each other, but it made it easier for counter-attacks.

This second wave fell upon my right flank, the opposite of where their first wave had hit, and now they were trying to cut us off from Paris, but my knights and pikemen weren't going to give up that easily.

As the knights approached, I led my own in a counterattack, charging down the hill at them. The Germans were at the disadvantage, and many fell to our blades. The few who got through were routed by the pikemen.

Bismarck didn't learn from his mistakes though, sending more and more knight regiments into the flanks, and more longbowmen regiments into the centre, ignoring the fact that the French knights would destroy the longbowmen once they'd paused for a rest, as they were defenceless, and that knights couldn't beat my pikemen and knights combination, which led them onto the sharp ends of the pikes before my knights counter-attacked and destroyed the knights while they rested.

Paris held for many months.

But then the Germans finally got their act together. Longbowmen were sent with pikemen to guard them, and sometimes even catapults. The knights were sent more than one at a time to destroy the pikemen and start attack my knights and swordsmen. They also sent some old warrior regiments and swordsmen regiments as what I can only describe as suicide attacks to wear down my troops for their knights.

I was horrified at such misuse of human lives, but the tactic worked. My BEF was forced to retreat, the few who survived fleeing across the Channel. I led my last few knights into Paris to help defend against the huge attack that was sure to come now Paris was encircled.

I was determined to die a hero.

Then the miracle happened.

Elizabeth had been pumping huge amounts of money into science, even risking the uprising of civilians due to heavy taxes, but they did not riot, knowing we were a nation fighting for our lives. The British Bulldog spirit was born that year.

Gunpowder, a deadly substance that could hurl small stones or iron balls a fair distance was discovered. And best of all, there was a deposit of saltpeter, the main ingredient of it, right outside London! And a second near Dublin! We quickly found that the French didn't have any saltpeter, whilst the Americans had a deposit near New York.

The Germans hadn't yet discovered gunpowder, but probably weren't far behind.

We quickly traded the idea of how to make gunpowder with the Americans, and traded the spare saltpeter with the French for some luxuries and gold.

The rest of the Allies quickly received this new advance in human knowledge, and the Axis powers still didn't know it.

I was there in Paris to see the first French musketeer regiment march from its barracks to the front line.

The time of the knights was dead, I was sure.

I received a new BEF courtesy of her majesty, consisting of three musketman regiments and two knight regiments.

I led this army into the south, a move which I'm sure the Germans didn't expect, as they were counter-attacked by waves of French musketeers and knights.

Bismarck thought I'd go straight for Berlin, but I was determined to drive a wedge between the Axis powers.

Whilst the French poured troops from their revitalised country(something about a Golden Age) onto German soil, forcing Bismarck back, I marched south into Roman territory. They tried in vain to destroy my force but failed, the musketmen holding them off brilliantly until I was outside Rome itself.

Caesar was suddenly less arrogant than usual, and invited me in to Rome for peace talks.

My orders from the Queen were to try and turn any Axis powers against Germany if possible, so a quick deal was agreed in which the Romans would declare war on the Germans who had so refused to support them in the war and pay a tribute to Britain and in return receive the secret of gunpowder(they had a huge deposit of saltpeter in a North African colony) and a peace treaty.

They quickly made peace with the other allies, and actually became an important Ally in the fight against Germany.

Russia didn't have any saltpeter, but was about to secure some from Germany, who still hadn't worked out what they could do with it, and no one could figure out why.

Munich fell to the huge numbers of Russian troops, and the saltpeter was in Russian hands.

It was soon revealed why the Germans couldn't use their saltpeter effectively as the French marched towards Berlin.
Most of Germany was in revolt against Bismarck, with riots stopping work in every area, including science.

Germany was a nation on the brink of self-destruction.

In America, the USA was fighting back, recapturing its lost cities due to revolts, and taking some from their enemies. The Iroquois soon came to a peace deal as Niagara Falls fell, leaving the Aztecs in an unequal battle.

Tenochtitlan fell within a few months, as one of the more northern cities of the Aztec Empire. The capital of the Aztecs moved to Texcoco, and the Aztecs finally came to peace.

The Americans celebrated peace on their own continent for the first time in hundreds of years.

The Greek hoplite couldn't believe it. How could the Russians get this many troops?! And now those filthy Romans had changed side, things were looking bad for Greece. But at least the Egyptians still supported them.

Then he received the message.

"Your highness, we have reports that Egypt has declared war on the Germans, maybe to try and gain from the German's worsening situation. Alexander of the Greeks has responded to his ally Germany's request for aid by doing the stupidest thing possible, declaring war on Cleopatra's nation, who's units are helping to defend Greece. The large numbers of Egyptian units in Greece could be the downfall of Athens itself!" the aide panted.

"Send a message to Cleopatra, see if she is willing to do a deal yet. If we could turn her against the others, then I think she could possible destroy the Greeks for us, and could hurt the Babylonians and Persians and let the Zulus get into the war finally." Elizabeth quickly snapped out her orders.

And so it was that Egypt became an Ally, and the nation of Greece fell quickly to Cleopatra's troops.

France took most of the German cities to the west, and the Russians took some to the east. My troops had taken a southern city near Austria known as Nuremberg, and I waited for the French catapults to finish bombarding Berlin, and Joan of Arc herself to be beaten back in her knights charge on the gates of the capital of Germany.

Then I took my chance. I knew that France was rapidly becoming less friendly with England, something to do with Elizabeth referring to Joan of Arc as "that stupid slapper" and some arguments about British troops being stationed in France to help during the war.

I led my troops into Berlin with hardly any problems, ending the state of Germany forever.

In return for a few scientific advances and some money Elizabeth gave Nuremberg to the Americans, relieving my worries about garrisoning it and splitting Germany between the four Allied powers.

Egypt was now on the brink of taking Babylon, the last Babylonian city, and Indian war elephants were crushing Persia.

China was losing out badly to the Axis power of Japan, which had become an expanding Pacific empire.

The war finished quickly after that, with Babylon, Persia, Greece, China, and Germany all no longer existing as free nations. The remainder declared a peace afterwards, forming a council known as the League of Nations to try and make the nations get on better.

Little did we know then that it ended up being nothing but a place for people to declare the start of World War II...

British MI6 Report to Queen Elizabeth on the State of the World

Our army and navy are amongst the best trained and equipped in the world, but not the most numerous, but that can be fixed.

The French occupation of German soil has made them arrogant, and this could result in problems, with Joan of Arc already beginning to request things from us that we wouldn't give. This means that the Channel fleet may have to be busy someday soon preventing an invasion.

The Russians are an unruly bunch, and unpredictable, but for now friendly.

The Romans have become trusted allies, as eager to please us as they were Germany, and unlike Germany we reward them, earning their devotion.

Egypt is also becoming more of an ally, as Elizabeth and Cleopatra get on well together, as both dislike Joan of Arc, and they share the same outlook on life: "Get what you can and keep it."

The Americans are becoming our best allies, as our friendship with them is natural due to our shared language, and this means that our citizens like each other more than any other nations do, resulting in a close alliance.

The Aztecs are weak, and behind the rest of the world, a nation struggling to survive. The Iroquois are stronger, but for now have been cowed by the American show of force.

Japan now has most of Eastern Asia to herself, causing major headaches for us, and could lead to a war once if they decide to try expanding, as both we and America have colonies on Australia.

India is in a strong position, maybe a counter to the Japanese, but unfortunately are getting mad with the Egyptians, which could cause problems in another war if both were our allies, which we think they would be, as they may try attacking each other. Whether they would unite and fight remains to be seen.

The Zulus are now a slightly more powerful nation, untouched by the war itself, isolated from it, and so have prospered, but are not a military threat despite their increasing apathy towards us.

Director Julie Walter-Smythe of MI6

Part Three should be out tomorrow! Stay tuned for World War Two!

Chris
Old February 4, 2002, 01:15   #5
djtestudo
Settler

Local Time: 14:54
Great story! When will the third chapter come out? I want to know how it ends. It seems you're setting it up for a great ending.
Old February 4, 2002, 22:14   #6
cbraund
Prince

I am sorry to have taken so long, but I have had connection trouble and not much time these last few days. If you notice that the story seems to become more fictional after World War Two, that is because my English met a tragic end, our empire eaten up by the French, and although the USA became the most powerful nation in the world and a good ally, it was unable to help. So after that, because the real ending was very quick and boring, I have made a more exciting one.

Japan attacked at dawn. The bombers attack the American Navy at sea, and bombed the American city of New Washington in Australia, the USA's primary base in the Western Pacific.

The American Navy was hit hard, despite it being so spaced out. This actually worsened the problem, as the carrier-borne fighters couldn't reach the battleships in time to save them.

It was a master-stroke on the part of the Japanese, and one I should have seen coming. Japanese bombers from the mainland and from their carriers destroyed the battleships and destroyers protecting the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower and its sister ship, the USS Enterprise. Any further resistance was mopped up by the Japanese surface fleet. Battleships moved to engage the American carriers, and sunk them.

The US Pacific Fleet was destroyed, and the American cities in Australia were left open to attack.

Except the Royal Navy was now the most powerful fleet afloat, after such a huge reduction in the American naval strength. And Britain would not leave her allies undefended.

Speeches were made in London and Washington, Elizabeth's speech being five minutes later than Lincoln's.

"At 7.55, on the morning of December 7th 1941, the United States of America was suddenly, and deliberately attacked by the Empire of Japan. This act of war will be met by an act of war. Those who did this will pay a heavy price for deceiving the United States. We offered the hand of friendship, and they refused in the most horrific way possible.
They say that the United States is weak, not having fought a major war. Well now they shall discover than we are not weak, but dormant like a volcano. And now we shall erupt! Let us make war against the Japanese with all the fury in our hearts at this barbaric attack! They will pay the price for underestimating the resolve of this nation.
Now to the servicemen and women, I say this to you. Take the fury of the American people, and show it to the Japanese in the best way possible. Our hopes lie with you, and we shall pray for you every night until this war ends. And it will only end with either the fall of Japan or the fall of America. It is your job to make sure the latter does not happen. Please do not let us down, and I am sure you won't, as you are the best in the world.
To those who have lost loved ones in the attack, and to those recovering from it or dead in it, our thoughts are with you all. May those who are dead enter the Kingdom of Heaven, for they are truly great people, who died in the line of duty, defending their country. And to those injured, I wish you a speedy recovery.

That is all, goodnight and God bless America!" Lincoln finished to a standing ovation.

America was going to war, and her people were behind their President through it all.

I studied the faces of each member of Parliament.

"Our Queen is going to declare war on Japan whether you like it or not!" I roared, enraged.

"She will not, we have not voted on any such matter!"

"You can vote on it now! Just because you don't want to see your huge salaries cut to allow for more spending on the military, or don't want to see your precious power reduced by the Queen's popularity during a war, it doesn't mean that you can let our allies die! We will defend them! Who is with me?!"

Not one hand was raised. They were all too scared of losing power.

"Fine then." I smiled grimly. This had been coming for a long time, those idiots had been cutting defence budgets, increasing taxes and their own pay packets, and not listening to Her Majesty. Now they were going to pay. "You are all under arrest for treason against Her Majesty, and for abuse of power. You will be locked in the Tower of London until the war is over, and then you will be put on trial at the Old Bailey with the Queen herself presiding as judge. If found guilty, you will be executed. The Queen will now rule for the duration of the crisis by martial law!"

They looked shocked, and it pleased me to see it. They thought they were invincible. They had been proven wrong. Any protests were quickly silenced by the appearance of two soldiers from my personal elite infantry regiment, the SAS.

Now the Queen was the sole ruler of England once more, and the people would not be sad to see these idiots leave. While the Queen was making her speech, I busied myself arranging some good advisors for her, so we could all sit down and sort out the mess that Parliament had made of this country.

"People of the United Kingdom of Great Britain, we have never backed down from a fight. We have always stood by our friends. Well now in the light of the horrendous attack upon America, we shall stand by our friends once more. The Empire of Japan may now consider itself at war with the British Empire, and she will pay a heavy price for what is essentially a terrorist attack, as it was an attack on people who were friendly and unarmed. Britain despises terrorists, and Japan will now discover that to their huge sorrow. They can cancel their planned invasion of Australia, as Singapore stands in their way, and is very heavily fortified, and the Royal Navy will block their passage through the sea. There is nowhere for terrorists to run or hide, and they can no longer attack unprepared targets in a show of cowardice. No, they must now fight two nations prepared for war, and they shall perish in this battle.

For that is the way of the world, if you stab someone in the back, make sure it goes through their heart, because otherwise they may pull it out and stab it straight through yours."

The Royal Navy moved to engage the Japanese surface fleet in the fight later known as the Battle of the Pacific, as it was for sea dominance of the Pacific Ocean.

The British flagship of the Pacific fleet was HMS Prince of Wales, and was commanded by Admiral Jonathan Scott, a long-term friend of mine. The three carriers under his command were HMS Invincible, HMS Illustrious and HMS Ark Royal. These four ships, plus another eight battleships and twenty one destroyers made the Pacific Fleet a huge force.

The Japanese fleet had only two carriers, and both were still refueling their bombers and few fighters from the attack on the Americans. They also had twelve battleships, and fifteen destroyers.

It was the British control of the skies which won the day, with many Japanese ships being crippled before our ships got near them. But I lost a dear friend that day, with the Prince of Wales being sunk in an attack upon the Yamato, the flagship of the Japanese Navy.

This loss was avenged by the Repulse, the second in command of the Pacific Fleet, with it quickly destroying the Yamato by capitalising on major damage done by the former commander.

The British had control of the Pacific Ocean, but on land the situation was more dire.

"Nine tank regiments?! Are you sure?!" the Queen gasped.

"Quite sure." I frowned. We only had eight infantry regiments defending Singapore, which could be reinforced easily by three regiments of tanks and five regiments of infantry from the sea, and by more infantry by air. But they wouldn't arrive in time, with the regiments being sent by air still collecting their weapons from their barracks, and the sea-going task force still miles from Singapore.

Only one regiment could deploy to help Singapore within the week. My own, the SAS.

The Queen agreed to this.

I loved being in the front line. It was what a general should do, lead his army, not hide in some far away headquarters. I was dressed in SAS camoflauge, and had made my regiment train the Singapore defenders in booby traps and other underhand techniques of defending the city. No one complained that this way was dishonourable, as the Japanese had broken their own Samurai code by their attack on the Americans.

This was real warfare, not by their silly laws of war. They had shown them not to be important by disregarding them themselves, and now we were capitalising on that.

The first tanks appeared two hours after my arrival. This vanguard regiment was the most experienced, a veteran whilst the rest were all regular. That was something to be said for the British army. I made sure all my regiments were veteran, and a few were even elite.

The tanks charged up the only highway connecting Singapore to the mainland. It was wide, and I had wanted to blow it up, until I realised that it was actually a land bridge, not man made.

They charged straight into a minefield, and some began to blow up. My men cheered, and this inspired the defenders of Singapore to cheer as well. Then some tanks made it through, only to fall into traps or be hit by anti-tank missiles fired by my regiment. One tank made it though that, and I led my platoon to engage it.

"Up onto it!" I yelled. We all clambered on top of the lumbering machine, and my aide ripped open the hatch. I pulled a grenade from my belt, and tore away the pin and dropped it in. We all jumped away in time to see the tank's turret be blown sky high.

The battle was humiliating for the Japanese, with only five regiments of tanks escaping the slaughter. I lost only one regiment, which had been attacked by a now-veteran unit known as the Shoguns.

All over Britain, church bells rang out in victory.

Then the news came. France had declared war upon the US and the UK in support of her ally, Japan.

The sides quickly drew up after that, with only the Russians remaining neutral.

It was the US, the UK, Rome, India and Egypt against the Aztecs, the Iroquois, the Japanese, the French and most suprisingly of all, the Zulus.

I led my Pacific task force up through the Chinese holdings of Japan, pushing them back to their own island before I was recalled with my regiment to the European theatre of war.

The Channel Fleet, also known as the Grand Fleet, was the single most powerful concentration of ships in the world, including five aircraft carriers. These and bombers from London had made the war hell for the citizens of Paris, and the French Navy had been destroyed in port by British submarines and destroyers, led by one battleship, the Rodney.

HMS Hood was the flagship of the Grand Fleet, and led a contingent of over 25 battleships.

I had immediately ordered an attack on France upon her entry into the war, and it had saved Nuremberg from attack, resulting in aid from the Americans in the European theatre of war.

The war stalemated outside the gates of Paris.

The Asian theatre of war was less interesting, with the Egyptians easily crushing Zulu attempts to break out of Africa, and then sending a force south to attack, although it would take many months to reach the Zulu homeland, as it was so remote.

Then India and Egypt finally had enough of each other, and declared war upon the other. The other Allies resolved to let them fight it out.

In America, the Aztecs took and razed Miami to the ground, enraging the Americans who fell upon them and the Iroquois with the fury that was also for the Japanese, but they couldn't reach the Japanese, so they decided to let their allies have it instead.
The Aztecs were destroyed very quickly, and the Iroquois were soon fighting a losing battle.

I cancelled the Manhattan Project, not wanting nuclear weapons to be used in this war. But then I discovered to my horror that one other nation was researching nuclear weapons.

Russia.

The Queen and Lincoln approved my plan to send in agents to destroy the lab in Moscow, and it took place.

It was successful, but the agents were caught, and one gave away which nation they worked for.

Russia entered the war, but on the Axis side.

The war didn't last long luckily, with the Russians being stopped in their advance at Berlin and Nuremberg, with both us and our American allies being too advanced and our forces being veterans. The Russians only took one city in the entire war, Hamburg to the east of Berlin from Britian.

It was still full of unhappy Germans, so we let them keep it after the peace was declared.

Japan had falled to my troops, and the Aztecs and Iroquois to the Americans. France fell to a Roman attack in the end, and the Indo-Egyptian War lasting for many more years, ending in the destruction of the Indian nation, and Cleopatra having a huge nation.

The United Nations was formed, and all the countries of the world joined it, all now at peace. Russia once more became a valuable ally, with only the Zulus making themselves truly isolated.

President Lincoln waved and stepped aboard Air Force One after a successful diplomatic meeting with Shaka of the Zulus. The Zulus were quite advanced, but not as advanced as the Americans, and also very isolated. Lincoln hoped this trip would bring them more into the fold.

As Air Force took off, it was flanked by an honour guard of Zulu jet fighters.

Lincoln took no notice when the jet fighters backed off, thinking that they were leaving for home.

He was only alerted by the alarms. The jets had fallen back to firing positions!

Air Force One immediately started countermeasures, ducking and diving to avoid the incoming missiles. But two hit, damaging the rear end badly.

"Sir, we're hit badly! I suggest we head for the Egyptian city of Cairo!"

Lincoln only nodded in reply. He was deep in thought. The Zulus had suddenly attacked his plane for no reason!

Well, actually he knew the reason. The Zulus were jealous of the friendship between the five major nations, and wanted to either have Shaka elected Secretary-General, which would never happen, or to destroy the UN, so that the Zulus may be able to rule the world.

It was a silly dream, Lincoln thought sadly. They could never beat the United Nations, and they couldn't split the nations like wars had before.

Another hit jolted him back to reality. One way to win would be to leave the most powerful nation in the world without a leader!

F-15s screamed by, engaging the Zulu fighters, and he also saw British Jaguars and Harriers destroying them as well.

Soon Air Force One had no enemies left in the sky, with a large number of British, American and now Egyptian planes alongside it, each willing to die for the man on board that jumbo.

But the President's plane was losing altitude, and would have to land very soon.

It didn't make it to Cairo, but landed deep in Zululand.

I led my SAS through the jungle. We were with many US Marines, and some Royal Marine Commandos in landing on the western coast of Zululand to find the President.

There was the wreckage of Air Force One! And it was only three hours after it had crashed, so the Zulus hadn't found it yet.

We all took up position around the plane, in which the President was taking cover.

Planes from all the five United Nations now circled overhead, all doing their bit to secure the President.

We were to let the President rest the next few hours, as moving him would be seen by the Zulus, and would be too dangerous, so we waited for nightfall.

Two hours later, the Harriers of HMS Ocean spotted Zulu regiments heading our way.

Damn it! I thought. Only one more hour or so, and it would have been dark.

The President, realising I was the most experienced commander there, above him and the American general, had given me overall command of the forces there.

I ordered the men to start moving, with the US Marines and Royal Marines leading him back to safety.

I and the SAS were going to stop the Zulus getting anywhere near the President, even if it cost us our lives.

I fired once more, killing a Zulu trying to outflank me. The SAS was making every shot count, and the Allied aeroplanes were making life hell for the Zulu tanks, with very few surviving.

My regiment was down to half strength, having held off over eleven regiments of Zulu forces. I order an organised retreat, knowing that the President must now be safe, and on his way home via the new Enterprise.

I made it to the beach with only nine men left under my command out of nearly three hundred. It was devastating to have lost so many men, and I cried all the way back to the British African headquarters on Madagascar.

The Americans also had a base on Madagascar, and we soon launched huge assaults on the Zulu coastline, with the Egyptians and Romans hitting them from the north. The Russians sent aid in the form of tank regiments zooming along the railway lines through Egypt.

I personally led the assault on Zimbabwe, and cut Shaka's throat with my jungle knife. An American cut Shaka's head off entirely, and it was paraded through the streets. It may have been barbaric, but that man had cost us many dear friends and comrades, not to mention the Americans nearly their President.

Shaka's head was later sent to Lincoln, who had it on the White House flagpole for a week before moving it to the United Nations building as a reminder of what happens if you cross the UN.

Many years later, as I watched the American space shuttle taking off, I didn't see it as a defeat. I saw it as a glorious end, after all, we had helped the Americans with much of their research for the new space station, and the Star Wars Defence System that now protected the entire earth from nuclear attack.

Some say that victory is being the only one left alive. I think differently. Victory is about staying alive, and keeping as many of those around you as you can alive. So as I stood next to Elizabeth, Lincoln, Catherine, Caesar and Cleopatra watching the launch, I felt happy, and relieved. Finally there would be peace, and it would be forever.

I know it's a corny ending . Anyway, no maps cause I can't get a decent earth map to download for use with paint that can actually use colour. If anyone has a link for one, please reply with it, and I'll make some maps for this story. And thanks to all those who've replied with positive comments on this story and my last, it was a great boost of morale! This may be my last for a little while, as I'm really busy at the moment, but I promise that I will write more!

Thanks for reading!

Chris
Old February 5, 2002, 19:21   #7
dnassman
Warlord

Local Time: 05:54
Local Date: November 1, 2010
fantastic story. Would of been interesting to have seen some screenshots.
Old February 14, 2002, 14:38   #8
Richelieu
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 15:54
:b:
Great story!