Old January 28, 2002, 22:10   #1
FrantzX
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Warlord

Local Time: 14:55
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Proof the AI doesn't cheat in combat!!
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showth...threadid=15208

It seems that those anti-tank spearmen need new spears...
Old January 28, 2002, 22:23   #2
Encomium
Warlord

Local Time: 14:55
AI cheating on COMBAT I never found a problem.

The problem is that units from different Ages do not get a percentage combat bonus against those from an earlier Age; hence, I've seen such as longbowmen destroy cavalry (supposdely with rifles).

The AI cheating goes on in many other ways - all unacceptable - but combat has never been a problem for me.
Old January 29, 2002, 18:02   #3
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 13:55
What cheating
FrantzX:
It seems to me that you have misunderstood the 'spearman v tank' complaint. First, 20 tries are rather few- if you did 1000+, then maybe. Why so many?, because you are right that the odds are small (but improve if the spearman is a higher experience level and if there are added terrain bonuses for defense). The problem is that mathematically it is possible for it to happen, and has happened to players in their experiences ( i will add, as I did long, long ago, that I am not one of those players). The argument was that it should be just not very rare, but a damn near impossibility, as it generally was in civ2.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old January 30, 2002, 06:33   #4
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 21:55
oh jeez. frantz just drop it, i like combat system, some people don't. there is no way they are gonna stop whining......
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old January 30, 2002, 09:56   #5
ZoboZeWarrior
King

Local Time: 20:55
Quote:
Originally posted by Encomium
AI cheating on COMBAT I never found a problem.

The problem is that units from different Ages do not get a percentage combat bonus against those from an earlier Age; hence, I've seen such as longbowmen destroy cavalry (supposdely with rifles).

The AI cheating goes on in many other ways - all unacceptable - but combat has never been a problem for me.
Not unimaginable. Look at Indians & Americans. Indians won few battles.
Old February 2, 2002, 04:53   #6
MonsterMan
Warlord

Local Time: 20:55
It's not inconcievable that a spearman unit could win over a tank unit. Let's say the tank has one hit point, and translate that to four or five tanks. The spearman has all its hp, let's say two or three thousand men. Even if the tanks got away one shot per minute each and killed a total of a thousand men with each volley, they would get overrun. Once a couple of spearmen got on top of the tank, opening the hatch and mauling the crew would be simple.

It doesn't say the following anywhere, but can't we assume that a spearman unit in the Industrial age has gotten hold of some revolvers, some dynamite etc. which allows it to keep its defence and attack values against modern units? Just a thought.