Old October 27, 2000, 19:09   #1
Tim White
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:31
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Vital Question for Oldies!!! Please read if been here a while
Will someone ever send a list of suggestions like "the List" again to Firaxis?!?!
Old October 28, 2000, 00:24   #2
UltraSonix
King

Local Time: 10:31
If we do, the game'll be delayed to 2004, methinks.

------------------
No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary...
[This message has been edited by UltraSonix (edited October 28, 2000).]
Old October 28, 2000, 05:30   #3
FinnishGuy
Warlord

Local Time: 02:31
There's no need. You newbies are just reinventing the same things we old farts thought out in 1999.
Old October 28, 2000, 07:40   #4
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 02:31
FinnishGuy: I think there's something pathologically confusing in statement "What we oldies thought out in 1999."
Old October 28, 2000, 16:17   #5
Diablo, Bro. of Mephisto
Prince

There may be a need, because I have thouroly read the List, and many things are not in there that could be, that have been suggested here in the last several days.
Old October 28, 2000, 16:18   #6
Diablo, Bro. of Mephisto
Prince

I agree with you Ultra, if we did send another one, the game would be dalayed for a while.
Old October 28, 2000, 20:27   #7
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 20:31
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I don't think another huge list like the one we did will be of much help. What we really need is some more feedback from Firaxis and then FOCUSSED ideas. For example, if we know that Civ3 will use something like the Social Engineering from SMAC, we can say, "Hey, this or that didn't work well, but this was great. Oh, and do this next time."

Those are just about the only things that could help at this point.
Old October 28, 2000, 21:54   #8
Biddles
Prince

Yin26 has hit the nail on the head. We need Firaxis to talk to us. It's no use us to just keep sending lists to Firaxis if we don't know what they are doing. I don't want them to tell us exactly what the game is going to be like but as Yin said, they could say "hey this is a rough outline of the trade system - what's your thoughts?"

By the way, the really new ideas that I have seen here in the last month would probably fill two pages. (Although some of them have been really good).

------------------
- Biddles

"Now that our life-support systems are utilising the new Windows 2027 OS, we don't have to worry about anythi......."
Mars Colonizer Mission
Old October 28, 2000, 21:56   #9
UltraSonix
King

quote:

we really need is some more feedback from Firaxis

I totally agree, which is why I can't understand their absolutely secrecy about the game. I mean, I read once that the reason game developers (like the Duke Nukem Forever dudes) don't release info is because another developers can sneak in and quickly desginer and release a similar game before the orig game is released. But somehow I think even if they released info, no one will copy anyway... especially now the ctp2 is so late in development.

Which leads me to to ask why they still haven't opened that promised site.

------------------
No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary...
Old October 28, 2000, 23:24   #10
Theben
Deity

When we were working on the Lists, the basic idea we had in mind is what Yin stated above. Send a bunch of ideas, Firaxis picks out the gems and adds them to their own ideas. Then we get some feedback as to what they'll use and we'll debate about how those ideas should work. Maybe a 3rd and final finessing round.

But that was OUR ideas. Firaxis never agreed to anything. Hopefully we'll hear SOMEthing substantial soon.
Old October 29, 2000, 01:00   #11
zyxpsilon
Warlord

quote:

What we really need is some more feedback from Firaxis and then FOCUSSED ideas.

Agreed, even some kind of an acknowledgment about "some" of the suggestions from us, their customers. One can say Feedforward , also!
The preview site might very well do the trick

[This message has been edited by zyxpsilon (edited October 29, 2000).]
Old October 29, 2000, 06:18   #12
Sir Shiva

What we need is some acknowledgement by Firaxis that they read our posts regularly. If they could read topics on a daily basis, it would be great. Perhaps they could also drop in a post if they find a topic interesting, saying that they'd consider it or something...

------------------
-Shiva
Email: shiva@shivamail.com
Web: http://www.shivamail.com

Old October 29, 2000, 06:31   #13
UltraSonix
King

So what you're actually saying is that one of us should go work for Firaxis!

------------------
Old October 29, 2000, 15:10   #14
Ribannah
Queen

Local Time: 01:31
Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
quote:

Originally posted by yin26 on 10-28-2000 08:27 PM
I don't think another huge list like the one we did will be of much help. What we really need is some more feedback from Firaxis and then FOCUSSED ideas.

Exactly. Only it needs to be the other way around: we need to focus first and by doing that we will deserve feedback. That's what I tried to do with my "Top 10 of New Tech" thread.

Everybody can make a list of 500 techs, wonders, city improvements or whatever and it won't help us or Firaxis a single bit. We have to choose what we find important and then inform Firaxis.

As it stands, the lists that we have available simply have very little value. The first thing Firaxis did when they started the new project was make similar lists themselves and we can be certain that their lists were much, much longer. Then they started cutting and weeding.

We need to do that, too, if we want any influence on how Civ III will be.

------------------
If you have no feet, don't walk on fire
Old November 1, 2000, 15:26   #15
Diablo, Bro. of Mephisto
Prince

Firaxis better read these threads alot!!! or this site is of no use!!! All we would be doing is talking with one another about what some other people are doing about something we want.

I agree that firaxis should drop in on some threads and let them know that their reading them, and considering the ideas.
Old November 3, 2000, 11:15   #16
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

quote:

As it stands, the lists that we have available simply have very little value. The first thing Firaxis did when they started the new project was make similar lists themselves and we can be certain that their lists were much, much longer. Then they started cutting and weeding.

Actually, the List was printed and bound. A label was put on it. It read: "The Big Book of Yin and Co." The sections were labled, and the list was handed around and around and around to various teams as they tried to find focus. And we already know that "many" of the ideas we presented there are in the game.

So much for your theory.

Old November 3, 2000, 22:53   #17
ContradictioN

geezuz, if they start telling us allllll about the game, I am outta here! I'm not about to ruin the game for myself.

Old November 6, 2000, 18:29   #18
Ribannah
Queen

Local Time: 01:31
Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
quote:

Originally posted by yin26 on 11-03-2000 10:15 AM
Actually, the List was printed and bound. A label was put on it. It read: "The Big Book of Yin and Co." The sections were labled, and the list was handed around and around and around to various teams as they tried to find focus. And we already know that "many" of the ideas we presented there are in the game.

Which doesn't give any indication to cause and consequence. And the issue is still the same either way: are the ideas that are in the game the ones we wanted in the most, or just a more-or-less random selection from a "Big Book", be it Yin's, Jon's, Rib's or Firaxis'?

------------------
If you have no feet, don't walk on fire