Old July 15, 2002, 15:15   #61
CapitanGarlic
NationStates
Prince

Local Time: 12:57
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Playing Half-Life, Firing the guided rocket launcher and then turning around and running the other way. Chunky!
Old July 15, 2002, 16:09   #62
Footie Mad
Prince

Local Time: 20:57
Quote:
Originally posted by Trajanus
Baldur's gate and BG2 as well of course...

Another favourite is confusion, or hold, and so on... nothing much you can do about it, and every time i have to reload

That's the only thing i really hate in BG...those spells, other than that the game is perfect!
There are counterspells to this, and items that grant you immunity. And also it swings both ways so not that much of an issue once you learn how to use it.
It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars
Old July 15, 2002, 16:42   #63
dunk
Prince

Local Time: 15:57
Not a death, but a bad thing in a game...

Zork.

A seedy-looking character walks into the room, removing some valuable objects from the room and from your possession.

ACK! That SOB.

As for a death...

Forbidden Forest... Watching that giant 8-bit spider eat you is pretty gruesome!

And Zork again... You have been eaten by a grue!
Old July 15, 2002, 20:11   #64
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 22:57
Quote:
Originally posted by ixnay37

Yup. In FF5, when that tower sinks, there's that one shard that is out of reach. Once you get the submarine, when you go to the submerged tower, Gogo is at the top and you fight him for the shard (which gives the Mime class, IIRC).
Whoa. I guess I never got that far (IIRC, I'm currently stuck with the Flying Fortress and had decided to level up, then I updated my emulator and the saves wouldn't work anymore and I got frustrated). This is quite strange, having a boss from an earlier game become a PC later. A unique case with Final Fantasy, AFAIK.
Old July 15, 2002, 20:21   #65
MattyBoy
Prince

Local Time: 05:57
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Space05us, lucky we don't do these things in RL.
Jon Miller, that is brilliant - to what extent did you fall asleep?
Old July 15, 2002, 20:22   #66
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 13:57
woke up an hour or so later....

Jon Miller
Old July 15, 2002, 20:25   #67
MattyBoy
Prince

That is hilarious. If my wife caught me like that I would never live it down.
Old July 15, 2002, 20:54   #68
Ari Rahikkala
King

One interesting case with Nethack was meeting a poisonous monster when hallucinating...

"The mother-in-law bites! The bite was poisonous! The poison was deadly..."

It's also rather embarrassing to get sacrificed by a monster on ADOM... almost as embarrassing as getting your whole inventory disintegrated when trying to convert an altar. Risky business.
This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand
Old July 16, 2002, 00:31   #69
MattyBoy
Prince

Oh yes, Don't the Gods get angry in ADOM when the conversions fail? As I remember it that was cool and felt like the Gods were more active in the game.

I just took off all my clothes and tried to get a Xorn to eat my ball and chain (no euphemism, btw). I got put to sleep by a trap and killed in my sleep. I might call my next character Jon Miller if I keep dying like that.
Old July 18, 2002, 07:13   #70
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Quote:
Are there good Pokemon games? I wasn't willing to try any.
Gold / Silver is much better than Red / Blue / Green. Preparing for the Elite Four, the big bosses, is very frustrating, though, since your monsters need soooo much experience to get level-ups above around level 35.
Old July 18, 2002, 20:18   #71
MattyBoy
Prince

Thanks Mr P.
Old July 22, 2002, 13:05   #72
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Local Time: 13:57
Quote:
Originally posted by SnowFire
I always enjoyed the Gogo fight in FF5... he says that he'll do whatever you do. My conclusion was that I had to figure out a way to make him kill himself. So I said "Hey Gogo! Look at this!" and had Faris, a Knight, chop her head off with the Excalibur (got a critical hit, thunked herself for 4000 damage!). My roommate and I just rolled on the floor after that slightly unintended consequence.
I even got a chuckle out of that one... now people at work are giving me odd looks...

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. President
There were, of course, my first twenty or so deaths in Super Mario Brothers. It was before I learned how to jump, so I walked - very slowly - into the very first Goomba that sauntered towards me at the beginning of world 1-1.
I almost did that... instead I'd read the manual and at least known how to run into him though...

Quote:
Also posted by Mr. President
Gold / Silver is much better than Red / Blue / Green. Preparing for the Elite Four, the big bosses, is very frustrating, though, since your monsters need soooo much experience to get level-ups above around level 35.
That's where a GB gameshark comes in handy... yes, it's cheating... but isn't also the game cheating you out of just a whole bunch of time otherwise?

And as far as my horrible demise... not really a demise, but my wife, sister-in-law, and I were all playing Mario Kart 64... it was on the course with all the stupid penguins and we all got a turbo start.

My wife and her sister crash into each other, I'd just shoved some popcorn in my mouth and was trying to play on a three-handed controller with one hand, and then crash into them, sending us all three flying into the icy waters below.

There will probably more, and funnier experiances... but that is the one that sticks out in my mind now.

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old July 25, 2002, 01:01   #73
MattyBoy
Prince

bitten by a kitten

12 1128 Jack-Bar-Hum-Mal-Neu died in The Dungeons of Doom on
level 3. Killed by a kitten, while helpless. - [53]
Old July 25, 2002, 06:41   #74
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Magic: The Gathering isn't technically a computer game, but there are several funny ways to die in planeswalker duels (a couple of which have happened to me). The newest gimmick is squirrel tokens. They're not real creatures, but they represent small, furry woodland animals on the warpath. Too many duels recently have been ending with "A squirrel bit you and you died! Ha, ha, ha, ha!"

There was the time my artificially enhanced demon lord rushed my opponent. I would have hit for 27 damage, but the other guy dropped "Reverse Damage", which does exactly what it says.
Old July 25, 2002, 22:41   #75
MattyBoy
Prince

It sucks when you're character seems so tough. My guy wasn't that experienced but he was 18,18,17 Str,Dex,Con - and a Barbarian! His family better not hear about that kitten.

PS: Ironic that this is the thread that won't die
Old July 26, 2002, 09:15   #76
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Local Time: 19:57
Quote:
The newest gimmick is squirrel tokens. They're not real creatures, but they represent small, furry woodland animals on the warpath. Too many duels recently have been ending with "A squirrel bit you and you died! Ha, ha, ha, ha!"
I hate squirrel decks.
"They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara
Old July 26, 2002, 14:22   #77
Space05us
King

Local Time: 07:57
In WW2 online I was flying a Me-109 chasing a Hawk. We had been dogfighting for about 10 minutes and he was pouring out black smoke when all of a sudden he led me right over a couple of flak guns.
Old July 28, 2002, 03:44   #78
Mr. President
Emperor

In Donkey Kong 64, many of the levels have camera angles set up in weird ways. It's very, very annoying to try and swing across a pit where the camera is about 45 degrees right of directly behind you. Since the direction you have to press on the control stick to jump off the rope depends on the camera angle, you have to get the stick motion exactly right or else you'll fall fifteen stories onto hot sand and get dive-bombed on landing by about 15 Zingers.
Old July 28, 2002, 19:59   #79
MattyBoy
Prince

Don't play Donkey Kong 64.
Old July 28, 2002, 23:38   #80
Mr. President
Emperor

Awww, but it's so cute!
Old July 29, 2002, 14:18   #81
dunk
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Zkribbler
In Stunts, I was racing against the legendary Helen Wheels. I had opened up a respectable lead when I roared into a 270 degree banked curve.

As I came out of the curve, I was doing in excess of 200 miles per hour. Suddenly, my wrecked car was flying sideways.

The instant replay showed Helen Wheels had entered the intersection leading into the curve a nanosection after I had entered that same intersection as I was exiting it. She had broadsided me. Needless to say, that match was a draw, both contestants being DOA.
See, now if you were racing Skid Vicious, he would have entered the turn by the time you exited it.

I love Stunts.

What I would do was create tracks with a jump after a length of track which would guarentee my car traveling at 245 MPH (I think that was the top speed of the Formula I racer). It was fun to see that sometimes you would simply rocket straight up into the air after hitting the jump and shatter into pieces upon impact.

Last edited by dunk; July 29, 2002 at 14:24.
Old July 29, 2002, 18:25   #82
MattyBoy
Prince

In my last note I typed something like...
Quote:
(Reminder to self)
Don't play Donkey Kong 64.
but I used "less than" and "greater than" instead of the "(" and ")" and the post came out quite differently.
Old July 29, 2002, 19:18   #83
Victor Galis
Emperor

Ah... deaths. There have been plenty of those:

On my part: Playing the original X-COM (very long time ago). There's some aliens somewhere terrorizing a city. I sent out a ship full of people. First turn I walk out, the people don't really have the movement to get out from there. Alien first turn, alien comes out, gets shot at but missed by one person. Tosses a grenade. I lose the ship and all the people.

Alien death: X-COM apocalypse. I'm cleaning out some big alien ship. The kind that has big banks of missiles. About half way through the battle, an alien shoots a laser cannon. He screws up big time and the shot is way off. It hits a missile. It explodes. The whole bank of missiles explode. Three aliens and the whole right side of the ship are destroyed. Up to that point, I didn't know it was actually possible to punch a hole in the side of a ship while in that mode where you command a squad of men.
Old July 29, 2002, 19:20   #84
Victor Galis
Emperor

More deaths:

Magic the Gathering. I'm playing this game against a guy. He totally dominates, reduces me to 1 life. Then he decides to toy with me, build up his army and finish me off on very last turn before his deck runs out. My deck is slightly bigger. So he has this huge army of creatures out, ready to slaughter my puny remaining forces. He reaches to draw his last card, I cast Ray of Erasure, destroying that card. I enjoy the look on his face as he realizes he's just lost (I never did find an alternate use for Ray of Erasure.)
Old July 29, 2002, 19:29   #85
Victor Galis
Emperor

Dark Age of Camelot: (Ooh plenty of these)

I'm in a battleground. Midgard forces hold the keep, but the Hibernian army charges, and beats them back. We hold our bridge. Something happens, we run back across our bridge. My computer crashes. I log back in. Our army is on our side of, I'm standing in the middle of the Midgard army. I didn't even get to see what hit me (well, not until I scrolled back up to see just how much damage I had taken in about 3 seconds).
Old July 29, 2002, 21:55   #86
SnowFire
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 14:57
Yeah, I still keep 1 copy of Reverse Damage in my Blue-White deck. It's not something I'd want more than 1 of (even if I had more), but as a wild card that might be in your hand at the right time, it rules. Many style points. It's always fun when your opponent does some last desperate stab to kill you, and all it does it make you stronger so you kill them the next turn.

Probably my most humiliating death in XCom was when I first split my group up into two squads (a European and an Ameircan one) and the very next UFO I find lands in Africa, a big nasty one. What do they do but mind-control one of my new squad members... the one carrying the rocket launcher, of course.
Old July 29, 2002, 22:12   #87
Mr. President
Emperor

Ever been killed by Ali From Cairo? Now that's humiliating. "I'll cast, oh, I don't know, Orcish Oriflamme . . ."

I'm just glad this guy is on my team. "Why are you using Millstone on your own library? Uh-oh . . ."
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	krosan_beast.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	20913  
Old July 30, 2002, 07:43   #88
Victor Galis
Emperor

Oooh... I forgot my most painful magic death. I was playing in an 8 player game:

I have a Nevynral's (sp?) Disk. Someone tries to Shatter it, but instead I set it off, pissing off everyone. The disk's main problem is that it destroys everything but lands, which means when you have 7 irrate players, they have means to bring you down relatively fast working together.

Other painful deaths (not mine). I was playing in a 6 player game of magic. Several people had red in their decks. Someone puts out a Mana Flare. A second Mana Flare is put out. I get uneasy because now all the red decks can cast fireballs of massive death... I have my red white and blue deck, but none of my standard enchantment dispelling cards are comming up. So tap all 7 of my lands, and fireball the second guy who put out a mana flare for 20. (This was still early in the game and he hadn't been damaged yet. I bet he hated himself for casting mana flare after that)
Old July 30, 2002, 09:42   #89
dunk
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Victor Galis
More deaths:

Magic the Gathering. I'm playing this game against a guy. He totally dominates, reduces me to 1 life. Then he decides to toy with me, build up his army and finish me off on very last turn before his deck runs out. My deck is slightly bigger. So he has this huge army of creatures out, ready to slaughter my puny remaining forces. He reaches to draw his last card, I cast Ray of Erasure, destroying that card. I enjoy the look on his face as he realizes he's just lost (I never did find an alternate use for Ray of Erasure.)
That's a good one.

Ray of Erasure works well with some other card that you can look at your opponents library. Ooooh, here comes that Squirrel Beast, better blow it away before he can even get it in his hand.
Old July 30, 2002, 09:49   #90
aaglo
King

All the Destruction-deaths in a game called "One Must Fall - 2097"

Pieces of huge robots flying everywhere. KA-POW!