Old November 1, 2000, 15:52   #1
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 18:31
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Mantra for Civ3: Simple yet Complex
In just reading a review for Zeus, I came across this statement...

quote:

By keeping the game simple, with clear goals and some great new elements, they've improved the series and the genre. The successful mantra for Zeus is keeping it simple on the surface, but allowing hardcore gamers to explore the depth.

This is what I meant when I said earlier that Civ2 is simple game, but complex in its results. As some have discussed at length in another thread, I suggest that this be the 'mission statement' for Civ3, substituting Zeus for Civ3.
Old November 1, 2000, 18:11   #2
Ralf
King

Local Time: 01:31
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Sounds like a good enough design-mantra in my ears.

After the Civ-3 intro-movies have faded, i want to experience that homey recognizeable framework Civ-2 feeling. The Civ-2 simple design > complex results design-approach should be the hidden skeleton, also in Civ-3. But...

The flesh, the muscles and new good looks however is all new, updated and shiny Civ-3.

There should be lots of new features, add-ons and nice under-the-hood design-changes in Civ-3, but these are all still inter-connected with the same recogizeable simple design-approach Civ-2 framework.
Almost like a newer, bigger and more luxurian hotel, that still adopts the same simple to navigate hotel corridor-system, that its old forerunner had before it was demolitioned.

Does above make sense? I hope so!

By the way: why not send your post to Chris Pine? That would give him something to contemplate.

[This message has been edited by Ralf (edited November 01, 2000).]
Old November 4, 2000, 18:15   #3
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 02:31
Amen Brother!

from your qoute, to civ3!

I would hate it if they would over complicate it...
Old November 6, 2000, 20:10   #4
Maccabee2
Warlord

Local Time: 19:31
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I want to say amen to this:

"There should be lots of new features, add-ons and nice under-the-hood design-changes in Civ-3, but these are all still inter-connected with the same recogizeable simple design-approach Civ-2 framework.
Almost like a newer, bigger and more luxurian hotel, that still adopts the same simple to navigate hotel corridor-system, that its old forerunner had before it was demolitioned.

Does above make sense? I hope so!

By the way: why not send your post to Chris Pine? That would give him something to contemplate.

[This message has been edited by Ralf (edited November 01, 2000).]"

This is exactly what I'm hoping for. (Are you Ralf the dog from the Muppet Show, that plays the piano? I'm sorry, I just have to ask. I always liked him.)
Old November 8, 2000, 14:59   #5
Ralf
King

Local Time: 01:31
quote:

Originally posted by Maccabee2 on 11-06-2000 07:10 PM
This is exactly what I'm hoping for. (Are you Ralf the dog from the Muppet Show, that plays the piano? I'm sorry, I just have to ask. I always liked him.)

LOL! We are not even related, as far as i know.

Anyway, there are basically four overall key-areas that are more important in the Civ-3 development then everything else:

- That instant high-quality feel of the overall game.
- AI-responsiveness and strong AI-logistics.
- That constant goal-oriented excitement/suspense factor.
- The feeling of achievement and the drive to replay.

Any ideas that can enrich and develop the game-experience in above four areas are welcome. Any ideas that fall out of above key-areas is a waste of time.

One just have to apply above filter to the floodwave of suggestions to realise what is worthwhile to implement, and what is not.